AFL Mid-Season Draft 2024

4 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

Yes you say this, yet you recommended a 179cm mid. What’s it to be?

The context of my post was the young guns match. In that game Tobyn Murray was the best mid & looked like he had the skill and smarts to develop further. Obviously the end of year National draft offers more young mids, and some around the 187-188cms physique.  

• Like 1

Cal Twomey has some interesting news on the midseason draft in Rivals keep tabs on Saint, free agency switch floated, Hawk's trigger

MID-SEASON PICKS GROW, AFL TWEAKS RULE

MORE potential selections have opened up for this month's mid-season rookie draft, with up to 20 spots now vacant as the AFL made a tweak to its eligibility rules.

The season-ending knee injury to Port Adelaide forward Sam Powell-Pepper and broken leg to Hawthorn's Sam Butler will now see both clubs be able to activate selections ahead of the May 29 mid-season intake. 

Plus, Adelaide now has a third potential selection due to the retirement of Rory Sloanethis week. Luke Pedlar's shoulder injury will see him visit a surgeon as well with the possibility of going under the knife. 

With already three spots, the Crows currently have the most potential picks of any club, with Brisbane (Tom Doedee and Keidean Coleman), Carlton (Jack Silvagni and Sam Docherty), Richmond (Josh Gibcus and Judson Clarke) and North Melbourne (Josh Goater and Callum Coleman-Jones) all having at least two due to long-term injuries. 

Essendon, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and now the Hawks and Power all have at least one list vacancy to partake in the mid-season draft, with Geelong, Greater Western Sydney, St Kilda, Sydney and West Coast currently not having any spots.

Further injury assessments on players can be made in the lead-up to the mid-season draft after round 11 which can open up more positions.

The AFL also on Wednesday made a change to its eligibility for the mid-season draft, with selection in the Young Guns games, for Western Australia's under-21 side (against its under-18 side) and South Australia's under-20s side (against its under-18s side) now contributing to the minimum of three games players who did not nominate for last year's draft must play to be eligible.

Previously, only WAFL, SANFL and VFL senior matches counted towards that total.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 24/03/2024 at 16:59, 58er said:

That’s what we got Fullarton for! 

Doesn’t mean we won’t grab a more mature ruckman, Fullarton is a Fwd/Ruck & I’m sure the club was always intending to add at MIN an exp back-up pure ruckman come end of year.. In this draft there’s not gonna be many available that are likely to be ahead of Verrell anyways so I think it could be a case of best available talent, or with current gaps and knowing what’s out there a ball-winning mid — actually plenty of those around as far as delivering that at lower levels. 

Either way, tis gonna be interesting!

Pruess would be gettable at EOY… 😎

Edited by Tolstoys Nudge
  • Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 14:35, spirit of norm smith said:

Dees have no young midfielders coming through. If you look at Casey, they got smashed in the midfield by Tigers last week in clearances and through the middle.  I think we lack any depth in the midfield especially after losing Brayshaw, Jordon and not getting young mids (aside from Windsor) in the last 3-4 drafts.  I’d like to see us look at young midfielder in this mid year draft and again with our first pick in November National draft. 

If we wanted a ruckman, in my view Coburg ruckman Cooper Keogh would be the one to strongly consider if available.

Agreed on all fronts! Mid depth is 💯 a need.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tolstoys Nudge said:

Pruess would be gettable at EOY… 😎

This poor guy did his hammie running onto the ground to get ready for the VFL game last week. He’s cursed on the injury front.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

This poor guy did his hammie running onto the ground to get ready for the VFL game last week. He’s cursed on the injury front.

I know it’s so sad but also cursed on the ‘Always having a star ahead of him’ context.. I mean holy hell Goldy, Max (by choice as back then most clubs believed 2 ricks was gonna be a necessity) and goes to GWS where he’s #1, gets inj again and has Briggs bob up from NOWHERE to become a dominant Ruck in comp almost overnight!!!

More I think about it, more I like idea. Haha

It’d have to come cheap & he’d need luck on inj front but even as a ‘rookie’ listed player he’d be worth a punt without an iota of doubt.

• Like 1

Ned Long and Jackson Hately are two mids that come to mind that could provide the depth for Brayshaw. 

They're both around the 191-193cm big bodied inside mids that are both winning some big numbers at VFL as we speak.

Hately especially has the ability to play down back if need and that versatility. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Ned Long and Jackson Hately are two mids that come to mind that could provide the depth for Brayshaw. 

They're both around the 191-193cm big bodied inside mids that are both winning some big numbers at VFL as we speak.

Hately especially has the ability to play down back if need and that versatility. 

Hately is an interesting one. Was a former pick 14 with the Giants.

Would definitely be worth a look as a depth inside mid and also to make our Casey side stronger, which I think is important as it grows a winning culture and mindset in the young players. Not great having a relatively uncompetitive Casey side!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 02/05/2024 at 10:18, Dee Zephyr said:

let’s hope he gets a good run somewhere, he deserves it!

Edited by Tolstoys Nudge
Double post
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Roy George  179cm  87kg  (Bunbury Bulldogs JFC)

Is he a chance of being picked up in the MSD?  Or is he more likely to be looked at in the PSD later on?

Would be very interested to hear from the likes of Dazzle, George, Norm and others.

Bit of a nomad it seems, initially starting with Peel in 2021.  Spent some time with Bacchus Marsh in the BFNL in 2023.  Some more detail on how he arrived from the Cobras to Casey?

Only one match but certainly looked likely against the Seagulls on Sunday.  We are very much in need of a serious mid fielder but could he add something in this area, along with a HF role of course, with a full pre-season?

Some of his highlights from his time in the WAFL below...

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

His name has popped up on here before, but Redlegs ruckman Harry Boyd is currently leading the SANFL for clearances by some margin, clocking up 48 after five matches - with the next closest player on 38. He's also smashing the hit-out count, with 208 compared to 166 for second place. Top 10 for i50 and averaging nearly 5 tackles per game. 

A bit on the short side at 198 (weight . . .  similar to Kieren Briggs), but came through as a defender and can take a grab. He's now won a couple Norwood best & fairests under Jade Rawlings. Has an off-field manner that reminds me a bit of May - comes across as a good egg. Age 26. Seems our type of ruck, but not fitting with our list approach perhaps.  

• Like 3

On 03/05/2024 at 10:42, dazzledavey36 said:

Hateley was drafted with decent form as a junior but never showed enough at the Giants or Crows.  Never seemed to find a spot.  He looked off pace or lacking intensity whenever I saw him play.  Still in the unfulfilled potential basket perhaps.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skuit said:

His name has popped up on here before, but Redlegs ruckman Harry Boyd is currently leading the SANFL for clearances by some margin, clocking up 48 after five matches - with the next closest player on 38. He's also smashing the hit-out count, with 208 compared to 166 for second place. Top 10 for i50 and averaging nearly 5 tackles per game. 

A bit on the short side at 198 (weight . . .  similar to Kieren Briggs), but came through as a defender and can take a grab. He's now won a couple Norwood best & fairests under Jade Rawlings. Has an off-field manner that reminds me a bit of May - comes across as a good egg. Age 26. Seems our type of ruck, but not fitting with our list approach perhaps.  

Love Briggs Is Boyd available?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 24/03/2024 at 09:53, Demon Head said:

With the current state of the club’s injury list, I think consideration should be given to the field of players out there in the state league competitions to cover potential gaps in our lineup in the event of ongoing issues.

The one clear area where the Demons seem to have a vacancy is a ready made big man to cover the rucks if Max Gawn is injured or simply needs a rest for a week.

On 24/03/2024 at 17:07, wheaters31 said:

Go and draft the best ruckman in the country outside of AFL listed players. 

Need a mature back-up for Max.

On 24/04/2024 at 07:29, picket fence said:

Fullarton is avarage! Should have kept and played Grundy EVERY game!

At the moment if Max went down then JVR & Petty would be our best options. 

Maybe a refreshed Tommy Mac with Tommo coming back in. I wouldn't like to see that at all, Tommy has become to important to the defence.

...but the above shows the hole in our list.

Looking at Fullerton in the VFL on the weekend & he just inspires no confidence.

He looked lost in the ruck contests, totally outplayed.

I'm not sure why we picked him up, maybe more for forward coverage.

Verrall is the better bet but still a way off.

We weren't going to be able to keep Grundy 'picket' as I think even though subsidised he was taking too much cap space.

Lets hope we have someone targeted.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

Anyone available is unlikely to be in our best 26

I know we have a list spot available, but it’ll be interesting to see what direction we go in

Left field is my guess, a la Disco Turner.

• Like 2

On 03/05/2024 at 07:20, Tolstoys Nudge said:

I know it’s so sad but also cursed on the ‘Always having a star ahead of him’ context.. I mean holy hell Goldy, Max (by choice as back then most clubs believed 2 ricks was gonna be a necessity) and goes to GWS where he’s #1, gets inj again and has Briggs bob up from NOWHERE to become a dominant Ruck in comp almost overnight!!!

More I think about it, more I like idea. Haha

It’d have to come cheap & he’d need luck on inj front but even as a ‘rookie’ listed player he’d be worth a punt without an iota of doubt.

Why ? Injury after injury over 3/4 years . You don’t buy a car that’s in the garage every second month same as a footballer. 

McAdam is going our heads in we don’t want a repeat performance. 

• Sad 1

I'm a fan of the Ned Long shout but would rather see us target Jack Macrae/Finn Macrae (both?) or Dev Robertson at the end of the season for a midfielder.

I'd go tall for 6 months and have a look at options in our VFL program, either Scaife or Remy Maclean for mine or Pike if he gets to us but i doubt he will

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Turner said:

I'm a fan of the Ned Long shout but would rather see us target Jack Macrae/Finn Macrae (both?) or Dev Robertson at the end of the season for a midfielder.

I'd go tall for 6 months and have a look at options in our VFL program, either Scaife or Remy Maclean for mine or Pike if he gets to us but i doubt he will

Deven Robertson is a genuine potato. I've never seen an AFL player butcher the footy as much as he does.

No thanks.

• Like 1

If big strong midfielder is needed to bolster our midfield depth, contender would be Riley Collier-Dawkins. With the departures of Brayshaw, Jordon, Harmes, Dunstan … midfield depth is seriously eroded.  Having an excellent year at Williamstown and one of the best in the VFL comp.  Good size and pace.  Would be good at the contest and drive hard at second chance.  

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Skuit said:

I popped him up on here after his BOG in their 2022 GF victory. Gippy, or Goulburn V, boy, I think?

Happy to 'pop him up' again.

Edited by Timothy Reddan-A'Blew
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

I popped him up after his BOG in their 2022 GF victory. Gippy, or Goulburn V, boy, I think?

Happy to 'pop' him again.

• Haha 1