Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PRESEASON TRAINING: Friday 1st December 2023

Demonland

Bloody l-o-n-g session. Close to three hours. As usual Tracc stayed out there for about half an hour after the others had all left, having shots on goal. He does this after sessions, totally his choice. Tracc is dedication personified. Like, next level invested. LOL… I told him he needs to get to work on his muscles. He looked shocked and said, “Who, me???!” I said, “Relax, I’m kidding!” He said, “Phew, for a minute there…” 😁 Like he should pay any mind to what a slightly deranged fan says, amirite?!

I told Marty Hore welcome back and he said he’s so happy to be back because this is where he really wants to be, and that he feels like he never left. 💖

Clarrie started later than the others. We chatted a little before he started. Wednesday wasn’t a one-off. He’s definitely on the right track. Happy to chat, super positive, walks with a spring in his step and his head held high. Hashtag body language tells all.

Also had interesting chats with Chocco and Perty and Goody, all separately, but all instilled a strong sense of positivity and I’d even say excited anticipation. They’re clearly pumped for next season, as are the players. It really shows. The whole vibe this week has been amazing, which bodes well so early in the preseason.

Best thing about today? Two words… [censored] MELKSY! Was NOT expecting to see him moving so well! It was such a sight to behold. Last time I saw him he looked (and was) gutted. Totes different today, all smiles and really buoyed. Perty said his recovery won’t be like “your regular ACL recovery” I said, “he looks ahead of schedule already.” Perty said at this rate he’ll be right “middle of the season.” YAY 🥳

PS Adorable little George Gawn stole the show on the boundary. Heartwarming moment: Tracc walking towards him, George runs to greet him, arms outstretched wanting Tracc to pick him up, which Tracc did, making George so happy he buried his little head into Tracc’s shoulder. I know, right?! 🥹

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8
  • Love 13

I was able to get down to training this morning.

Those who I didn't see there - May, Salem, Viney, Spargo, Gus, Hunter, Langdon, Tomlinson, Smith, ANB, Fritsch, Sparrow, Kozzie, Chandler

Oliver was doing numerous run throughs on the boundary and then some ground ball work. Not running at full speed but was doing a decent chunk of slow running.

Melksham and Petty did some kicking and then went in early. No moon boot on Petty. Neither did any running.

I got there just before 10am and they were initially doing some transition work without tackling. Fairly easy ball movement stuff without any pressure / tackling.

They then split into groups - talls and smalls. The smalls did one-on-one ground balls, one player would win possession and the other would tackle. The talls did one-on-one marking. They then swapped so the talls did ground balls and the smalls did marking. No real surprises in the split up here, the only one of interest was that McAdam was with the talls.

After this, they then did a drill where the ball was kicked to about 40m out in the D50, a ground ball would ensue, and the defensive team would win the ground ball and then try transition the ball forward to an inside 50. This was under pressure as there was an opposition. The focus seemed to be on running hard off half back. Again no positional surprises, other than perhaps McAdam as a tall deep forward. It appears he may be earmarked to play a bit out of the goal square. I think of Kozzie in the Carlton final where he created problems with his speed as a deep forward. McAdam has speed but is better in the air.

They then repeated this drill but on the other half back flank / side of the ground.

The next drill was a kick out from the pocket in the attacking team's 50 and the attacking team would win the ground ball and then look for a re-entry inside 50m. Whereas the previous drill was a deep turnover (at half back), this was a high turnover (between half-forward and wing). They looked to switch it a fair bit so that the inside 50 entry was to the fat side where there were less numbers and less congestion. It was a bit messy but there did appear to be a focus to get it to the fat side rather than a down-the-line re-entry to congestion. This was also done under pressure with a defending team.

Finally there was some full ground ball movement drills. By this stage some of the new boys went and did running so it was probably something like 11 v 11. As a result there was a lot of space so it obviously didn't replicate the kind of pressure and lack of space you'd see in a game. TMac played key back for this. Maybe just to stand in for May, but who knows.

I left soon after this as they were doing some handballs in tight and shots for goal/snaps.

I find it hard to read too much into player performance at training so I've focused more on what they did as a group.

One thing I will mention is there is something about the Tholstrup boy. The big mop of curly hair that makes his head stand out in a crowd and what appears to be a level of confidence / self-belief. I didn't get the impression that he was a new guy there. He really pushed hard on the run throughs, leading the way when running with Windsor, Brown and McAdam. He then encouraged Windsor and McAdam to beat the required times when they were doing some extra running after he finished. He went and helped up the skipper off the ground after they did push ups. I don't know exactly what it is but there does look to be something a bit different and unique about him. If he can play, he seems the type of player who will be really fun to watch.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 16
  • Love 3
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Who looks the biggest improver out of the young guys ? 

Hore and Jefferson

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Didn't he just have some work done on his knee?

Yes

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Scoop Junior said:

One thing I will mention is there is something about the Tholstrup boy. The big mop of curly hair that makes his head stand out in a crowd and what appears to be a level of confidence / self-belief. I didn't get the impression that he was a new guy there. He really pushed hard on the run throughs, leading the way when running with Windsor, Brown and McAdam. He then encouraged Windsor and McAdam to beat the required times when they were doing some extra running after he finished. He went and helped up the skipper off the ground after they did push ups. I don't know exactly what it is but there does look to be something a bit different and unique about him. If he can play, he seems the type of player who will be really fun to watch.

Both of our Draft Picks are expected to play Senior Football next season, so i am not surprised to read about this “attitude”

I certainly hope the AFL Community get a bit of a shock next season at our newbie’s. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

Great work thanks W'dee!

Any of the players in noticeably different positions in match sim - or too hard to tell.

I'm confident T-Mac won't play down back again unless filling in.

T.Mac is the main change he played down back. Farris-White played a bit forward. As I already said Riv, Hore and Trac were everywhere.

I wouldn't put it past McDonald to take the CHB position. Tomlinson has a lot to prove and McDonald has given himself a head start.

As WCW said Brown was moving well even sprinting on the boundary line. Hopefully, his injury problems are behind him you never know we may need him if Petty isn't fit enough.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

I feel like Clarry is at that age and experience level whereby a full pre season isn't quite as important for success as it is for someone like Jefferson or one who's had lots of injury troubles like Salem. I'm confident Clarry will be back getting 35 touches a game by March. 

Thanks for the reports all! I thought the double straight sets exits might dampen the spirits around here a bit but here we all are again, thirsty for more! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy said:

He’ll have to be down back, there’s just too many forwards, can’t have them all playing in the same forward line for Casey, there’s BBB fullarton Shace, Jefferson and Tmac, would be a waste for one of them not to become a key defensive backup. We have Roo and Petty as the AFL starting full forwards so all in all that’s way too many 

I expected Schache to be back at the start of the year but they have given it to McDonald. Good opportunity for McDonald.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, binman said:

The thought of Tmac trying to bite of yet another high risk kick from defence and giving straight back to the oppo gives me cold sweats.

For anyone thinking he would be a good option down back please remember the reason he went forward in the first place - it was last chance saloon for him because he was such a turnover merchant down back.

Tmac was gonski if he couldn't make it as a forward. 

Also Tmac has never been quick or super agile.

Lack of pace and agility for a key defender is a killer and he ain't got any quicker or agile since 2018. 

That said a good swing man option.

No it wasn't it was because we had nobody who could play forward.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Scoop Junior said:

I was able to get down to training this morning.

Those who I didn't see there - May, Salem, Viney, Spargo, Gus, Hunter, Langdon, Tomlinson, Smith, ANB, Fritsch, Sparrow, Kozzie, Chandler

Oliver was doing numerous run throughs on the boundary and then some ground ball work. Not running at full speed but was doing a decent chunk of slow running.

Melksham and Petty did some kicking and then went in early. No moon boot on Petty. Neither did any running.

I got there just before 10am and they were initially doing some transition work without tackling. Fairly easy ball movement stuff without any pressure / tackling.

They then split into groups - talls and smalls. The smalls did one-on-one ground balls, one player would win possession and the other would tackle. The talls did one-on-one marking. They then swapped so the talls did ground balls and the smalls did marking. No real surprises in the split up here, the only one of interest was that McAdam was with the talls.

After this, they then did a drill where the ball was kicked to about 40m out in the D50, a ground ball would ensue, and the defensive team would win the ground ball and then try transition the ball forward to an inside 50. This was under pressure as there was an opposition. The focus seemed to be on running hard off half back. Again no positional surprises, other than perhaps McAdam as a tall deep forward. It appears he may be earmarked to play a bit out of the goal square. I think of Kozzie in the Carlton final where he created problems with his speed as a deep forward. McAdam has speed but is better in the air.

They then repeated this drill but on the other half back flank / side of the ground.

The next drill was a kick out from the pocket in the attacking team's 50 and the attacking team would win the ground ball and then look for a re-entry inside 50m. Whereas the previous drill was a deep turnover (at half back), this was a high turnover (between half-forward and wing). They looked to switch it a fair bit so that the inside 50 entry was to the fat side where there were less numbers and less congestion. It was a bit messy but there did appear to be a focus to get it to the fat side rather than a down-the-line re-entry to congestion. This was also done under pressure with a defending team.

Finally there was some full ground ball movement drills. By this stage some of the new boys went and did running so it was probably something like 11 v 11. As a result there was a lot of space so it obviously didn't replicate the kind of pressure and lack of space you'd see in a game. TMac played key back for this. Maybe just to stand in for May, but who knows.

I left soon after this as they were doing some handballs in tight and shots for goal/snaps.

I find it hard to read too much into player performance at training so I've focused more on what they did as a group.

Thanks very much for the detail here, really appreciated.

My big concern with Tholstrup, at this point, is that he hasn't played against high quality opposition at this point.  That isn't his fault at all, but he spent a year in the Colts in WA - then was in the WAFL in a year when anyone fit was playing for the Eagles or Freo.

Again, Im going to be pumped to be proven wrong and he seems like he has the right attitude.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Foo Fighters have concerts at AAMI Park next week and then January the Australian Open is on.

When's the next time at Gosh's paddock? I have Fridays off so I can do what I did today again. Casey is too far leave that up to Picket.

• Thanks 1

Wandered down for a squizz at the bizz on Gosch's.

Melksham rehabbing, not doing a running program yet.

Oliver appears underdone. Working a running program, though not very advanced in exertion. Completely opposite to how he turned up last pre-season (fittest of the lot).

Petty was having just strolling around.

The field was dry and the ball handling for pre-season was good. Some stabb passes early in the session dropped in front of the leading players, at least they weren't bombing away. There was some emphasis on creating fwd 50 marks, plenty of short ball hit ups in the simulations. They started with runs and short kicks, then into station drills of low pick-ups, one on one positioning to high balls with push off, and side tackling after receiving high the ball.

The atmosphere was great. Get a sense they have a point to make. Everyone was supportive of each other, the noise level was high, and they were looking like a great young squad.

They took knees a few times, with group discussions and some frivolity.

Plenty of instructions and guidance from the coaches during the process.

Goal kicking practice was about snaps, based on the musical chairs game, but with the ball going around, with a couple of defenders and the manikins, making it tougher.

McQualter (Mini) gets right in there with the mids, emphasising the spacing.

Some drills were created to make the fwds hold position deep, and spread fast as a turnover happens when the opposition leaves our 50 area but loses the ball.

Loved our run, we look fast. Standouts include Bowey, McVee, Tholstrup, Laurie.

Laurie was baulking everyone, so much composure and looks to be a big improver.

Tholstrup is a born leader, supporting team-mates, working hard, one of the last on the field, Also appears to have the will to get to the contest and has that explosiveness after getting the ball. AFL speed won't worry him, a good size and solidness about him.

Bowey looking stronger and faster, impacts when he gets the ball.

McVee has that composure, runs to the right places and looks explosive. 

McAdam was definitely struggling with the running program, though out in the sims he gets involved and has nice skills.

Verral was getting plenty of 1%er's going, earning praise from the coaches. His is looking slim and moving well. Must have been working hard off season.

Howes is looking to be all muscle, barely any fat on him, looks ready for some hard at it footy.

Rivers was linking everything during sims.

Max and Lever cannot keep away from the play, plenty of involvement.

T'Mac was playing in the back line during sims, moving freely, though not winning the run throughs as he used to.

Billings adds another dimension to us. Finds space and has a good finish.

Kynan Brown has great vision, runs good angles, if he gets some consistency in skills, and a bit more bulk I believe he will make it.

Windsor was low-key, I didn't notice him too often.

I reckon JVR needs to have a full and hard working pre-season, looks a bit off, his usual aggression didn't seem there.

Jefferson was dancing around well and wants to goal when he gets it. Working up and down the field, a few fumbles, and in and out of the play during Sims.

Sestan has improved his fitness, no longer gasping after the exertion, and has plenty of composure.

Adams has bulked up and playing well by sitting behind the ball.

Turner was working up the field off the backline, providing carry of the ball.

Farris-White, looks like his skills have improved, has a bit more bulk about him.

AMW, seems more mature, getting to the right positions and kicking goals in the sims.

Taj is going about it very professionally, straightens the ball movement up and continues to bring intelligence to the game.

Hore has not missed a beat.

Schache is working hard, getting on the end of plenty.

BBB looking faster, and turning well. Still has his own running program. He and Tracc last on the paddock doing goal kicking practice.

The new young ones, did not compete in Sims.

There is going to be plenty of pressure for places. We will be batting deep.

Go Dees

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 20