Jump to content

Trading pick 6


furious d

Trading pick 6  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.


Recommended Posts

As I’ve said in other threads where this has come up I’d only do it if

1. The eagles offer a second rounder with their future first 

2. we don’t rate the talent available at 6.

3. we can use our future first and an Eagles second rounder to end the draft night with say picks 8 (11 + eagles second) and 17 (future first and 42).

Given we traded up for 11 the indication has to be that we like the top 11 in this draft and we aren’t going to sit it out.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d do it.

If Curtin made it to us and WCE wanted to trade, I think in reality it would look along the lines of our 2023 pick 6 plus our 2024 second round pick (attached to Syd) for WCE 2024 first pick.

Maybe a few steak knives back and forth but that’s about it and I’d take it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the life of me I can't imagine who's finishing below West Coast next year; they'll be getting worse before they get any better. 
So, yes, I'd trade this year's Pick 6 for next year's Pick 1.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

For the life of me I can't imagine who's finishing below West Coast next year; they'll be getting worse before they get any better. 
So, yes, I'd trade this year's Pick 6 for next year's Pick 1.

 

 

And if they are so keen Curtin- they can give us their first pick after we take him next year. 

We aren’t really a team to push value backwards; we want to win the flag next year.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Demon 16 said:

I’d do it.

If Curtin made it to us and WCE wanted to trade, I think in reality it would look along the lines of our 2023 pick 6 plus our 2024 second round pick (attached to Syd) for WCE 2024 first pick.

Maybe a few steak knives back and forth but that’s about it and I’d take it.

If West Coast are desperate to add a top 6 pick, they will be the ones adding the steak knives.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Nascent said:

If West Coast are desperate to add a top 6 pick, they will be the ones adding the steak knives.

It all comes down to how each club rates Curtin.

If WCE want to trade then let’s presume they rate him as a top 2 or 3 pick this year and as a Perth boy they’d be comfortable getting him now, rather than waiting 12 months for an unknown kid a pick or 2 better.

So yeh I agree in my scenario I’d hope the steak knives are in our favour - but I can’t see it being anything significant.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Demon 16 said:

It all comes down to how each club rates Curtin.

If WCE want to trade then let’s presume they rate him as a top 2 or 3 pick this year and as a Perth boy they’d be comfortable getting him now, rather than waiting 12 months for an unknown kid a pick or 2 better.

So yeh I agree in my scenario I’d hope the steak knives are in our favour - but I can’t see it being anything significant.

Probably not hugely significant, but if be angling for their first pick of the 2nd round, currently 23. 

This often has good currency with teams often willing to part with future firsts for it as well if a player slides through that they like.

We could flip 6 into WC F1 and perhaps another F1, or take 11 and 23 to the draft.

Still, my preference is to take the best player available at 6.

Only way I'd be angling to stock pile picks into next year is for trade purposes if we have a near certain fish on the hook.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


16 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Probably not hugely significant, but if be angling for their first pick of the 2nd round, currently 23. 

This often has good currency with teams often willing to part with future firsts for it as well if a player slides through that they like.

We could flip 6 into WC F1 and perhaps another F1, or take 11 and 23 to the draft.

Still, my preference is to take the best player available at 6.

Only way I'd be angling to stock pile picks into next year is for trade purposes if we have a near certain fish on the hook.

Whilst I’d be open to the F1 trade (in the hope it is pick 1 or 2, I’d be very pleased if we just took Curtin.

Agree that their pick 23 this year could be a good option as steak knives too, given it will probably be a third round pick by the time all of the bloody NGAs and concessions are handed out..!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had pondered this if the appropriate parties were interested.

It would be…

Trade 6 to WC (so they can select Curtain, motivated buyer for pick 6) for future first and the best change that can be mustered. 23 ideal as first pick of R2 of the draft.

Trade WC F1 to GWS for pick 7 plus the best change we can muster (Hopefully another F1) with another motivated buyer for a potential future pick 1, 2 or 3. 
 

Select the player we would have drafted at 6 anyway.

Increased draft capital with no change to selected players.

Could work with Geelong the very next live section after GWS too, and their F1 could be more juicy. I see the cliff coming fast!

Seems feasible to me.

Edited by Reevesy
Added Geelong scenario
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Stiff Arm said:

Any evidence that WCE are hell bent on getting Curtin just because he's from WA?

Yet, they'll take a Victorian with 1? 🤷

I read a Curtin interview where he said he kinda liked the idea of living interstate. Not every WA lad wants to be near their mummy

WCE fans think they love McKercher should they trade pick 1

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Reevesy said:

I had pondered this if the appropriate parties were interested.

It would be…

Trade 6 to WC (so they can select Curtain, motivated buyer for pick 6) for future first and the best change that can be mustered. 23 ideal as first pick of R2 of the draft.

Trade WC F1 to GWS for pick 7 plus the best change we can muster (Hopefully another F1) with another motivated buyer for a potential future pick 1, 2 or 3. 
 

Select the player we would have drafted at 6 anyway.

Increased draft capital with no change to selected players.

Could work with Geelong the very next live section after GWS too, and their F1 could be more juicy. I see the cliff coming fast!

Seems feasible to me.

Seems about the most infeasible list of options I’ve ever heard of. You would be lucky for any Clubs to trade with your suggestions. 

See that you are a newish D/L poster perhaps we want Curtain but don’t think he is worth pick 6 ( sorry Pick7) as he wouldn’t be available anyway as WC would have selected him ahead of us!!

Back to your drawing board or your football seance this week.  . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

Agree, we are the opposite. Trying to turn tomorrow’s unknown dollars into todays known ones. 

Yes - our recruiting/trading strategy is getting the best picks players in the current draft and letting the next year wait until next year. Obviously, the exception is when a player (ie Jackson) is traded out and we have to negotiate future picks, but generally we very much look at the present.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

COULD ANOTHER CLUB GET INVOLVED IN PICK 1 TALKS?

That leads directly to the next point. If it’ll take two top 10 selections to get a deal over the line for the No. 1 pick – and the Roos aren’t willing to part ways with Picks 2 and 3 for just Pick 1 alone – what other clubs could get involved to help facilitate it?

Though Melbourne and Hawthorn have also been linked to Pick 1, it’s widely considered it’ll either move to North Melbourne or no one given the Roos hold the best package of picks.

According to Ablett, the Demons are the club to watch in having a potential “role to play”.

Melbourne holds Picks 6 and 11 in this year’s draft, landing the former as part of last year’s Luke Jackson trade.

Would the Demons be willing to make an offer of, say, Pick 2 for selections 6 and 11? The Roos could then offer West Coast a deal based around Picks 3 and 6 in a potential win-win for all parties.

“I’ve always been pretty steadfast, I think the Melbourne footy club have a role to play here. I have a feeling that Pick 6 is going to be key to getting this deal done,” Ablett said.

“I don’t think the Kangaroos want to give up Picks 2 and 3, as much as I’m sure if they did, we’d see the deal get done pretty quickly.

“I think Pick 6 has got a part to play.”

In effect a three-way deal could be completed:

- Melbourne gives 6 and 11, gets 2

- North Melbourne gives 2 and 3, gets 1 and 11

-West Coast gives 1, gets 3 and 6

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, Demonland said:

In effect a three-way deal could be completed:

- Melbourne gives 6 and 11, gets 2

- North Melbourne gives 2 and 3, gets 1 and 11

-West Coast gives 1, gets 3 and 6

if we were to assign pick 1 = 11 points all the way down to pick 11 = 1 point, then the above scenario would see us give up 7 points for 10, Roos 19 for 12 and WC 11 for 15.
 

Roos would need a little more back methinks.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Demonland said:

COULD ANOTHER CLUB GET INVOLVED IN PICK 1 TALKS?

That leads directly to the next point. If it’ll take two top 10 selections to get a deal over the line for the No. 1 pick – and the Roos aren’t willing to part ways with Picks 2 and 3 for just Pick 1 alone – what other clubs could get involved to help facilitate it?

Though Melbourne and Hawthorn have also been linked to Pick 1, it’s widely considered it’ll either move to North Melbourne or no one given the Roos hold the best package of picks.

According to Ablett, the Demons are the club to watch in having a potential “role to play”.

Melbourne holds Picks 6 and 11 in this year’s draft, landing the former as part of last year’s Luke Jackson trade.

Would the Demons be willing to make an offer of, say, Pick 2 for selections 6 and 11? The Roos could then offer West Coast a deal based around Picks 3 and 6 in a potential win-win for all parties.

“I’ve always been pretty steadfast, I think the Melbourne footy club have a role to play here. I have a feeling that Pick 6 is going to be key to getting this deal done,” Ablett said.

“I don’t think the Kangaroos want to give up Picks 2 and 3, as much as I’m sure if they did, we’d see the deal get done pretty quickly.

“I think Pick 6 has got a part to play.”

In effect a three-way deal could be completed:

- Melbourne gives 6 and 11, gets 2

- North Melbourne gives 2 and 3, gets 1 and 11

-West Coast gives 1, gets 3 and 6

The issue for North is that they’re still essentially giving up 2 and 3 for 1 (even if they’re getting back 11) which they have categorically ruled out

I still think the key to improving the current offers for 1 would be to somehow involve Geelong’s 8 if they were open to trading it (only speculated at this stage) - perhaps North’s later picks for 8 or our 11 and something extra 

Edited by demoncat
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, 3183 Dee said:

This doesn’t work for us, if we want to pick up Reid, though?

Why would we help North get Harley? Yeah we might get McKercher or Duursma, but they aren't worth all of our picks.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 58er said:

Seems about the most infeasible list of options I’ve ever heard of. You would be lucky for any Clubs to trade with your suggestions. 

See that you are a newish D/L poster perhaps we want Curtain but don’t think he is worth pick 6 ( sorry Pick7) as he wouldn’t be available anyway as WC would have selected him ahead of us!!

Back to your drawing board or your football seance this week.  . 

You really are the Carl Ditterich of Demonland, 58er. You occasionally contribute worthwhile thoughts, but obviously feel compelled to 'take out' someone along the way. 

What Reevesy is saying is that if Curtain is available at 6 and we weren't going to pick him anyway, why not trade IF we had forewarned GWS and they'd agreed to the deal. 

Your continual sniping of posters is getting quite tiresome.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TRAINING: Tuesday 28th May 2024

    Veteran Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin returned to the training track to bring you the following observations from Gosch's Paddock this morning. Beautiful morning for training. The dew has dried, out from AAMI, quiet chatting. Maysie does his heart symbol. 7 in rehab, Turner, Hore, Sestan, BBB, Petty, Spargo and Schache. All in runners. Melky weighted and change of angles work. Salem has his individual program. White cap (no contact), Howes, Woewodin and Sparrow

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    GALLANT by KC from Casey

    The world “gallant” is not one that is readily acceptable to losing teams in our game of football so when it was used in the context of the Casey Demons’ loss to Sandringham in yesterday’s match at Casey Fields, it left a bitter taste in the mouth.  The Demons went into the game against the St Kilda affiliated Zebras with the advantage of playing on their home turf (not that this has been a major asset in 2024) and with very little else going in their favour. The Saints have close to a full

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    MEANWHILE by Whispering Jack

    … meanwhile, at about the same time that Narrm was putting its feet on the accelerator to obliterate the long-suffering Euro-Yroke combination, I heard someone mention in passing that Kuwarna was leading Waalitj Marawar by a whopping 46 to 1 halfway through the second quarter of their game over in Adelaide. “What is football coming to?” I asked myself.  In front of my eyes, the Demons were smashing it through the midfield, forcing turnovers and getting the footy to their forwards who w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

    The Demons head back on the road for the fourth time this season as the travel to Alice Springs to take on the Fremantle Dockers at Treager Park on Sunday afternoon. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 152

    PODCAST: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 27th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG over the Saints in the Round 11. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 29

    VOTES: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    Captain Max Gawn has a considerable lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the win against the Saints. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 54

    POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    After a very wasteful first half of footy the Demons ended up cruising to a clinical victory over the Saints by 38 points at the MCG and ultimately reclaimed a coveted spot in the Top 4.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 396

    GAMEDAY: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    It's Game Day and after 2 losses on the trot the Dees must win against the Saints today at the MCG to keep in touch with the Top 4. A loss today will see them drop out of the Top 8 for the first time since 2020.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 503

    HEAVEN OR HELL by The Oracle

    Clashes between Melbourne and St Kilda are often described as battles between the forces of heaven and hell. However, based on recent performances, it’s hard to get excited about the forthcoming match between these two sides. It would be fair to say that, at the moment, both of these teams are in the doldrums. The Demons have become the competition’s slow starters while the Saints are not only slow to begin, they’re not doing much of a job finishing off their games either. About the only th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...