Harrison Petty

Demonland

3 hours ago, layzie said:

I do assume you mean he just needs to be dropped because if he needs a physical rest right now then god help us. 

Dropped so he can go train and get match fit...looks to be nowhere near ready, he hasn't done anything but give us false hope so far.  I get that he was thrown to the wolves etc. etc. but most other VFL players would have offered up more than he has so far at AFL level he's added nothing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

He’s been horrible, but not sure we need the opinion of someone who pays for Twitter and is straight up embellishing.

Petty’s never “played in the goal square”. For one, no one does these days. Secondly the deepest forward job has been almost exclusively Fritsch, with some JVR and in recent weeks McAdam.

Petty has been asked to play CHF and attempt to lead up at the ball, lead back to get it on the run, out body opponents to stop them intercepting and routinely take on 2 or more.

All in a forward line that has never shown any indication of blocking for each other or any other form of team work.

To a midfield that doesn’t know when they’re going to kick and when they’re going to cut back inside and try 6 more hand balls before a panicked kick.

It’s not only the hardest role in footy, it might be completely impossible to play.

We should’ve traded Petty if we had any half decent options to bring in. Or if we had the knowledge of just how mentally shot he’s been since whatever happened up at the Gabba.

Otherwise he’s a tall in his prime with great swing man potential. Adelaide’s picks in a draft we already had covered are going to be massively overvalued. They ended up trading up anyway.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Petty formed a crucial part of a premiership winning defence, then looked brilliant playing forward before hurting his foot in 2023. Plenty of players before him have made the same move from defender to forward and had strong careers.

Anyone saying that we were "crazy" to let Petty go is trying to re-write history. We weren't crazy to let him go, in fact it would've been crazy to just let him go easily, given what he had proved as a defender and what he was showing as a forward.

Edited by seventyfour
  • Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

It’s not only the hardest role in footy, it might be completely impossible to play.

Well said. 

I also think there's a little bit of revisionism going on around here about what he's done in his career to date. He wasn't just OK in the Premiership year; he was absolutely critical to the success of that backline. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Do we call time on the experiment and move him back and TMAC forward?
Ideally Petty to play out the year as a backman as we try to build some trade currency for him before he jets off to SA.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SPC said:

Do we call time on the experiment and move him back and TMAC forward?
Ideally Petty to play out the year as a backman as we try to build some trade currency for him before he jets off to SA.

Adelaide have found one in Keane even if there’s rumours he might be looking back at the pies. Worrell’s a good young tall and they went hard for Curtin. I don’t think they’d want Petty any more, not until he’s a free agent anyway.

I suspect we are either getting very little or are stuck with him. All we can do is get through the year, assess where he’s at and hopefully get a proper preseason in to him (and many others).

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, kozzyisalegend said:

One thing I must add about petty is the effort is lacking

He looks completely disinterested to me

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

It’s not looking good, is it?

We have no Key Forward scoring Power, at all

We have all been waiting for it to come good, but today showed that it’s just not going to work, on many levels.

So frustrating because last year we could have really screwed Adelaide for Picks and Players,

Adelaide have some good attacking forwards and they were desperate to get Petty home, he was there playing Golf with his mates, now he will go quietly for nothing….

If I were the person at Adelaide  in charge of recruitment , I'd seriously be reconsidering if we want him at all. Based on his form this year and one decent game from 11, I'd be thinking he's not worth giving up much. I hate to say this because I think Petty is a great bloke but his form on the field this year has been abysmal. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in that he's simply not good at being a forward but yesterday he had times in the backline where he made some horrible choices. I don't know what's happened to the guy. He has the skill and a good record in previous years, but this season has been night and day to previous ones. Needs to go back to Casey and get some confidence for sure. 

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

If I were the person at Adelaide on charge of recruitment , I'd seriously be reconsidering if we want him at all. Based on his form this year and one decent game from 11, I'd be thinking he's not worth giving up much. I hate to say this because I think Petty is a great bloke but his form on the field this year has been abysmal. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in that he's simply not good at being a forward but yesterday he had times in the backline where he made some horrible choices. I don't know what's happened to the guy. He has the skill and a good record in previous years, but this season has been night and day to previous ones. Needs to go back to Casey and get some confidence for sure. 

He should have been sent home last year, whilst Adelaide were ripe for serious trading. We could have upped the stakes more, and they would have paid. 
Now he is worth bugger all

Shocking decision all round 

He was in Adelaide playing Golf with his mates during Trade Week, that’s where he wanted to be. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

He should have been sent home last year, whilst Adelaide were ripe for serious trading. We could have upped the stakes more, and they would have paid. 
Now he is worth bugger all

Shocking decision all round 

He was in Adelaide playing Golf with his mates during Trade Week, that’s where he wanted to be. 

He has shown some great form in the past as a defender. If the decision was up to me at Mfc , I would have kept him but I guess there is always a risk with interstate players wanting to go home. Can't really blame us for holding on to him. Helped us secure a flag in 21 . But yea his value has certainly diminished this year for sure. A shame.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leave it to deever said:

He has shown some great form in the past as a defender. If the decision was up to me at Mfc , I would have kept him but I guess there is always a risk with interstate players wanting to go home. Can't really blame us for holding on to him. Helped us secure a flag in 21 . But yea his value has certainly diminished this year for sure. A shame.

I am not disputing his form in ‘21, he was consistently excellent as a defender, which is why he had such high currency value. 
But i just don’t think he is fully committed anymore, 1% is all it takes

We missed a huge opportunity to bolster our list. I also understand why the Club wanted to keep him, but i would have Traded HARD with Adelaide 

It was one of those Poker moments….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/06/2024 at 13:39, DeeSpencer said:

Adelaide have found one in Keane even if there’s rumours he might be looking back at the pies. Worrell’s a good young tall and they went hard for Curtin. I don’t think they’d want Petty any more, not until he’s a free agent anyway.

I suspect we are either getting very little or are stuck with him. All we can do is get through the year, assess where he’s at and hopefully get a proper preseason in to him (and many others).

Ironically, there’s a bit of scuttlebutt from WA radio pushing Curtin wanting a trade to Freo. 

Wonder what the flow on impact would be re:Petty if that plays out. Also some speculation about Rachele’s happiness at Adelaide from Foxfooty as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Ironically, there’s a bit of scuttlebutt from WA radio pushing Curtin wanting a trade to Freo. 

Wonder what the flow on impact would be re:Petty if that plays out. Also some speculation about Rachele’s happiness at Adelaide from Foxfooty as well.

The Rachele situation is potentially a watch and see I reckon. I heard that there are some Melbourne based clubs who think he would like to come home. 

Mind you, that was from a player agent who has nothing to do with Josh so I took it with a grain of salt. Some of those people talk out the side of their mouths. They also try to unsettle clubs and players by talking garbage. 🫠

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

The Rachele situation is potentially a watch and see I reckon. I heard that there are some Melbourne based clubs who think he would like to come home. 

Mind you, that was from a player agent who has nothing to do with Josh so I took it with a grain of salt. Some of those people talk out the side of their mouths. They also try to unsettle clubs and players by talking garbage. 🫠

Rachele wants to come home. Petty wants to go home. That’s a starting point, as both players have lost trade value this year, and would be worth similar on an open market - an early second rounder. Personally, I’d prefer Rachele is the club. I think Petty mentally fragile like Hogan was. Credit to Jesse, he’s coming good, but it’s been a long road. Body language of Petty is that of a player I wouldn’t even play if I were coach. He looks as though he doesn’t even want to be out there. 

• Sad 1

On 02/06/2024 at 16:30, Swooper1987 said:

I have been a defender of Petty's but I was particularly disappointed in his pea hearted effort in the ruck.  The aim was to give Max a chop out, but all he did was enable Darcy and Jackson to increase confidence and influence.  Did anyone else notice Max did the entire last quarter on ball?  A shocking effort by Petty given how little influence he'd had in any other spot.  Hopefully JVR is back next week.  His contest work is underrated and a template for blokes like Petty.

He appears totally devoid of confidence, regardless of his body.

I understand that the match committee prefer to bring back key players direct to AFL, but this must be destroying his spirit.  Surely even a week or two at Casey could help him regain touch and thus confidence. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Saw this thread at the top of the list, clicked on it, and started reading the pile on to HP....

Then I realised I was 10-12 pages behind, and the words like "pathetic" were from games 5-6 weeks ago.... At least he's been consistent

What a [censored] catastrophe not trading him has been.... but it's OK  we got some bloke called McAdam who can kick the ball almost as far as my primary school aged kid

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Saw this thread at the top of the list, clicked on it, and started reading the pile on to HP....

Then I realised I was 10-12 pages behind, and the words like "pathetic" were from games 5-6 weeks ago.... At least he's been consistent

What a [censored] catastrophe not trading him has been.... but it's OK  we got some bloke called McAdam who can kick the ball almost as far as my primary school aged kid

McAdam vs Spargo at training for the longest kick would be a tense thriller of a matchup!

Edited by John Demonic
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, John Demonic said:

McAdam vs Spargo at training for the longest kick would be a tense thriller of a matchup!

Spargo out kicks McAdam by a long way.

Is it technique with McAdam? Surely it must be as you can't have an Afl player who can't kick 30 m.

And I'm sure Adelaide must be now thinking Re Petty, what were we thinking.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 2

This thread is disgusting. The way he is being discussed is appalling.

A few years ago TMac suffered a serious foot injury. For the following two years there was an enormous amount of vitriol directed at him - but look at him now: reborn!! The simple fact is, foot injuries of this type take years for full recovery. MFC supporters should know this: see Trengove, Vandenberg, Viney as well as TMac. 

Petty will come good. What is certain is that when he does, most of the posters here won't own up to how bad their behaviour has been and how wrong they were.

• Like 6
  • Clap 4

He looked so good against Geelong in Round 8, leading up, big contested marks ... Or or that rosy coloured memory?

• Like 1