Jump to content

Concussion and where to next?


Roost it far

Recommended Posts

So the game will need to continue to adapt to avoid head traumas to players. A rule change  to stop the Brayshaw incident is likely in the off season. How does the AFL intend to deal with such a case without looking at the incidents of high marks causing head trauma. I realise they are 2 distinct cases and not related except in their ability to cause injury.

How can the AFL say and make rules to stop concussions in tackles, bumps and smothers but leave open the ability to cause concussion when going for a mark? Whilst I understand there is inherent risk in playing, player welfare is rightfully being taken very seriously. In fact I’d say the AFL are about 10 years behind on this but that’s unsurprising. The high mark is a beautiful feature of our game so what needs to be done to firstly keep it and secondly try and make it safe?
For me it feels almost impossible to legislate all concussions out of the game considering the way the game is played. Is the high mark seen as the same as any 2 or more players competing directly for the ball where an injury may happen incidentally? Are coaches going to train defenders to avoid putting themselves at risk by not backing into packs? Do forwards need to almost “be careful” when jumping for the ball?
Do we simply play a sport that is inherently dangerous and thus not only do we need to keep making it safer but we also need to invest heavily in player welfare and past player welfare? Will we get to a point where a player with X number of concussions is no longer allowed to play the game and the club receives a draft pick to replace the player. Is concussion protocol going to be extended to 4 weeks? 
Over to you guys……

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

 

So the game will need to continue to adapt to avoid head traumas to players. A rule change  to stop the Brayshaw incident is likely in the off season. How does the AFL intend to deal with such a case without looking at the incidents of high marks causing head trauma. I realise they are 2 distinct cases and not related except in their ability to cause injury. 

  • How can the AFL say and make rules to stop concussions in tackles, bumps and smothers but leave open the ability to cause concussion when going for a mark? Whilst I understand there is inherent risk in playing, player welfare is rightfully being taken very seriously. In fact I’d say the AFL are about 10 years behind on this but that’s unsurprising. The high mark is a beautiful feature of our game so what needs to be done to firstly keep it and secondly try and make it safe?
    For me it feels almost impossible to legislate all concussions out of the game considering the way the game is played. Is the high mark seen as the same as any 2 or more players competing directly for the ball where an injury may happen incidentally? Are coaches going to train defenders to avoid putting themselves at risk by not backing into packs? Do forwards need to almost “be careful” when jumping for the ball?
    Do we simply play a sport that is inherently dangerous and thus not only do we need to keep making it safer but we also need to invest heavily in player welfare and past player welfare? Will we get to a point where a player with X number of concussions is no longer allowed to play the game and the club receives a draft pick to replace the player. Is concussion protocol going to be extended to 4 weeks? 
    Over to you guys……

 

For a start, 'going for a mark;, unless it's in the T.Greene category where you stick your boot studs into the face of an oncoming player, is a legitimate 'footy action': in other words, you are 'going for the ball'. It is, of course, a 'unique' aspect of Aussie Rules and I recall my father - who was a terrific athlete, a soccer player -trying to come to grips with this aspect of our game. Yes, there can be 'collateral damage', but when all is said and done, it is not all that common that players inflict serious injury when flying high in the sky, as they say: and most of the damage is done because of the impact to the upper back, and, let's face it, few players are able to jump that high that the heads of the other players becomes an issue.

That's one consideration anyway. And, for the record, I don't see how it's relevant to what Maynard did. In other words, a lot of Maynard excusers bring up the 'Speckie' aspect as though it is in any way connected. It's the height of casuistry.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to Concussion and where to next?

I'm involved at Junior level, the number 1 cause of concussion that I've seen are from a sling tackle.  Grounds are harder these days, as soon as the head hits the ground you are in trouble.

The crack down on this action has certainly decreased the concussions.

The bump players know you bump high you are in trouble.

The next is the so called footy acts, when you look at these very few and far between.

I think the moment you go past the ball and hit high in any contact form you will be in trouble.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No community sports associations would look to the AFL for guidance.

AFL has proven yet again its only concerned about protecting the 'so called' elite and not the head.

Tricky Gil  and Dill say theyre going to look at the Maynard incident again after the season.

Why didnt you do it this week you corrupt morons !

Not an ounce of credibility left but the corporate media will prop them up as they always do.

  • Like 2
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Deebauched said:

No community sports associations would look to the AFL for guidance.

AFL has proven yet again its only concerned about protecting the 'so called' elite and not the head.

Tricky Gil  and Dill say theyre going to look at the Maynard incident again after the season.

Why didnt you do it this week you corrupt morons !

Not an ounce of credibility left but the corporate media will prop them up as they always do.

Can we not turn this into another Maynard discussion. One of the reasons I posted it was to get away from Maynard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My prediction - in a tribute to the Simpsons prediction fraternity - is that one of our players will end up being the guinea pig for the first suspension given for this rule change - whatever it ends up being - and the media will have field day with the optics and the ensuing drama etc. It will also likely be 150% of what the ultimate penalty will end up becoming by the end of the year. There will also be a player in the finals that will find a way to get off for a similar incident - probably someone who plays for either Collingwood or Carlton.

  • Like 2
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

My prediction - in a tribute to the Simpsons prediction fraternity - is that one of our players will end up being the guinea pig for the first suspension given for this rule change - whatever it ends up being - and the media will have field day with the optics and the ensuing drama etc. It will also likely be 150% of what the ultimate penalty will end up becoming by the end of the year. There will also be a player in the finals that will find a way to get off for a similar incident - probably someone who plays for either Collingwood or Carlton.

In a rational world this should be an absurd post, but experience tells us this is an entirely plausible scenario. 

  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Roost it far said:

The high mark is a beautiful feature of our game so what needs to be done to firstly keep it and secondly try and make it safe?

Personal opinion is that the specie will be gone from the game.

...and the game will be very similar to Gaelic Football with no tackling or maybe limited tackling.

Marking with knees lifted will be outlawed.

Whether it will be a spectacle worth watching, who knows.

Times change, things change.

It's been a great game but is it worth the damage to the players?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I'd have thought the risk of concussion from a knee in the head from a speccie is far less than that from bumps, slings and whateever it was that didn't happen last Thursday.  Wrong?

(See Roostit I didn't menion him.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, sue said:

I'd have thought the risk of concussion from a knee in the head from a speccie is far less than that from bumps, slings and whateever it was that didn't happen last Thursday.  Wrong?

(See Roostit I didn't menion him.)

Very clever Sue! Whilst the risk of concussion from a high mark is lower than the other risks the risk is still there. Are we happy with that risk and the injuries that could result from it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think between the sling tackle and the fake 'bracing' actions actually turning your body into a battering ram, we can dramatically lower concussions.

Competing for marks, including speccies, causes very few injuries.

Legitimate tackles cause very few injuries.

Legitimate spoils cause very few injuries.

Hell, even legitimate bumps (as opposed to sniping) cause very few injuries.

In any situation other than when you turn your body into a point-focused weighted projectile (the physics of the tungsten rod or depleted uranium armour penetrating rounds are fascinating and illumating!) the injuries caused are dramtically less frequent and less severe.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Very clever Sue! Whilst the risk of concussion from a high mark is lower than the other risks the risk is still there. Are we happy with that risk and the injuries that could result from it?

Unless we make the sport completely no contact there will always be concussions even with perfectly legitimate tackles, random collisions of 2 players going for the ball.   If you don't want 'no contact' then you have to rank actions which can cause concussion vs the degree you are prepared to change the game.   My guess is that speccies would be low on the 'cause concussion' index and high on the 'not changing the game' index.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knee to back of head in marking contest will def go at some point.

There will be some over riding rule created that covers ALL contact with the head - marking, bumping, tackles, etc.

Incidental or not, any contact with the head will be instant free against

Reckon it will be around about the time a $500 mill settlement is reached for CTE damages to current/past players

Money is what forces the AFL to change

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I'm going to be in the minority here, but I think high knees in the marking contest should be deemed a careless act and if resulting in injury to an opponent should be a suspendable offence.

If we're serious about protecting the head, what other alternative is there?

Edited by leucopogon
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, leucopogon said:

I think I'm going to be in the minority here, but I think high knees in the marking contest should be deemed a careless act and if resulting in injury to an opponent should be a suspendable offence.

If we're serious about protecting the head, what other alternative is there?

Does that mean the header from soccer goes, the rebound from basketball, any action in any sport that has the potential to cause a head knock banned or as a participant you accept by playing that sport there is a chance of injury

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, drdrake said:

Does that mean the header from soccer goes, the rebound from basketball, any action in any sport that has the potential to cause a head knock banned or as a participant you accept by playing that sport there is a chance of injury

Honestly, I've thought about this for years. No sport is safe and I've got no idea where it's going to end up.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i think we can all expect a significant inrease in ticket and membership charges in the future to cover future concussion outcomes whether in monitoring, managing or litigation.

25% would not be surprising. it's either increased charges or cuts in expenditure and the latter would be unlikely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t be sucked into this conversation. This is the argument being made by people drawing parallels between things that don’t exist. It’s not logical to assume that if the AFL suspended Maynard they would have to suspend anyone attempting a mark. 

The ball in dispute, in the air, is significantly different to a player moving passed the ball and cannoning into a player.

 

  • Like 2
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


28 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

Don’t be sucked into this conversation. This is the argument being made by people drawing parallels between things that don’t exist. It’s not logical to assume that if the AFL suspended Maynard they would have to suspend anyone attempting a mark. 

The ball in dispute, in the air, is significantly different to a player moving passed the ball and cannoning into a player.

 

Great reply.

  • Like 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kick the ball off the ground out of congestion. Outside of that I can’t see how the AFL avoid concussion within the contest. The contested area already doesn’t make sense. Players don’t understand it. Someone will snap their neck soon. The only way out of that is to kick it off the ground out of congestion. But that wouldn’t be considered I doubt. But basically, the game is heavily focused around the contested ball. It’s at the heart of Aussie Rules. If they change that they change the game. But if they don’t do something they’ll face payouts the AFL won’t come back from. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

Don’t be sucked into this conversation. This is the argument being made by people drawing parallels between things that don’t exist. It’s not logical to assume that if the AFL suspended Maynard they would have to suspend anyone attempting a mark. 

The ball in dispute, in the air, is significantly different to a player moving passed the ball and cannoning into a player.

 

This conversation has zero to do with the Brayshaw incident 

  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

This conversation has zero to do with the Brayshaw incident 

8 hours ago, Roost it far said:

So the game will need to continue to adapt to avoid head traumas to players. A rule change  to stop the Brayshaw incident is likely in the off season.

Sorry, which one is it?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    FEARS by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s worst fears about the absence of Max Gawn were realised when it received a shellacking from Fremantle’s ruckmen Sean Darcy and Luke Jackson who dominated the hit out tally in their game at Optus Stadium on Sunday by a massive 47 to 19. As a result, the 50-point deficit at the end of the game proved to be a loss that was long foreseen that was two years in the making and demonstrated a complete lack of hindsight and planning from the club. To add insult to injury, Jackson was a D

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 3

    PREGAME: Rd 20 vs GWS

    The Demons return to the MCG in Round 20 to take on the GWS Giants and will be hoping the injured Captain Max Gawn is fit to return to his role in the ruck as their season is slipping away. Who comes in and who comes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 75

    PODCAST: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 22nd July @ 7:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demonsl oss at Optus Stadium against the Dockers in the Round 19. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & C

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 32

    VOTES: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The injured Max Gawn has a considerable lead over the injured reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Jack Viney, Alex Neal-Bullen & Steven May make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Dockers. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 19

    POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The Demons were once again outclassed, outplayed and outcoached by the Fremantle Dockers in 2024 ultimately going down by 50 points at Optus Stadium in Perth as they plummet to tenth on the ladder.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 306

    RAIN CHECK by Whispering Jack

    The Frankston Dolphins broke a run of six straight losses against their neighbours, the Casey Demons and kept their hopes for a long-awaited return to the VFL finals alive with a 27 point victory over at Kinetic Stadium. Casey was welcomed to the Peninsula by grey skies, heavy rain and angry seas with threatening white-capped waves whipped up by gale force winds. After a slow start in the opening term when they failed to take advantage of the breeze, it appeared that the Demons had decided

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    GAMEDAY: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    It's Game Day and the Demons have a golden opportunity to stamp their 2024 finals credentials as well as make amends for their disastrous first meeting against the Dockers earlier in the season when they take on Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 910

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    DEMONLAND - Good evening, Demon fans and welcome back to the Demonland 2024 Grand Final Podcast ... before we took that last phone call from a Demonlander, we were discussing how the club overcame it’s midseason slump, the season-ending injury to Christian Petracca and the loss for a brief period of skipper Max Gawn due to a  crack to the base of his right fibula, to slowly surge up the ladder turning our detractors into believers and how it ended the year triumphant in the finals with our capta

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 6

    EARLY BIRDS by KC from Casey

    Wet, slippery conditions and threatening rainfalls greeted the VFL Bombers at the end of their long journey southeast of the big city on Sunday. The threatening weather combined with the fact that neither side had realistic prospects of advancing to action in September, meant that spectators gathered at a cold Casey Fields weren’t expecting a classic exhibition of football. Nor did they get one. Instead they were presented with a dour struggle that never reached great heights. It was a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
  • Podcast 

  • Podcast 

  • Podcast Stream 


    Open Stream in
    New Window
        TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • Support Demonland  



  • 2021 Premiership  

  • Social Media 

  • Non MFC Games  

    NON-MFC: Round 19

    Discussion of all the other games that don't involve the Demons in Round 19 ... READ MORE

    Demonland | Round 19

  • Latest Podcast      

    PODCAST: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The boys dissected another disappointing loss to the Dockers lamenting our insipid performance in the midfield and pondering whether finals are out of our reach ... LISTEN

    Demonland | July 23

  • Match Report      

    FEARS by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s worst fears about the absence of Max Gawn were realised when it received a shellacking from Fremantle’s ruckmen Sean Darcy and Luke Jackson who dominated the hit out tally in their game at Optus Stadium on Sunday by a massive 47 to 19 ... READ MORE

    Demonland | July 22

  • Post Game      

    POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The Demons were once again outclassed, outplayed and outcoached by the Fremantle Dockers in 2024 ultimately going down by 50 points at Optus Stadium in Perth as they plummet to tenth on the ladder ...READ MORE

    Demonland | July 21

  • Votes      

    VOTES: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The injured Max Gawn has a considerable lead over the injured reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Jack Viney, Alex Neal-Bullen & Steven May make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Dockers. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ...READ MORE

    Demonland | July 21

  • PreGame      

    PREGAME: Rd 20 vs GWS

    The Demons return to the MCG in Round 20 to take on the GWS Giants and will be hoping the injured Captain Max Gawn is fit to return to his role in the ruck as their season is slipping away. Who comes in and who comes out? ...READ MORE

    Demonland | July 21

  • Game Day      

    GAMEDAY: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    It's Game Day and the Demons have a golden opportunity to stamp their 2024 finals credentials as well as make amends for their disastrous first meeting against the Dockers earlier in the season when they take on Fremantle at Optus Stadium ... READ MORE

    Demonland | July 21

  • Casey Report      

    RAIN CHECK by Whispering Jack

    The Frankston Dolphins broke a run of six straight losses against their neighbours, the Casey Demons and kept their hopes for a long-awaited return to the VFL finals alive with a 27 point victory over at Kinetic Stadium ... READ MORE

    Demonland | July 21

  • Match Preview      

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Good evening, Demon fans and welcome back to the Demonland 2024 Grand Final Podcast ... before we took that last phone call from a Demonlander, we were discussing how the club overcame it’s midseason slump, the season-ending injury to Christian Petracca and the loss for a brief period of skipper Max Gawn to slowly surge up the ladder turning our detractors into believers ... READ MORE

    Demonland | July 17

  • Next Match 

    .

    Round 20

       vs   

    Saturday 27th July 2024
    @ 07:30pm (MCG)

  • MFC Forum  

  • Match Previews & Reports  

  • Training Forum  

  • AFLW Forum  

  • 2024 Player Sponsorship

  • Topics

  • Injury List  


      PLAYER INJURY LENGTH
    Max Gawn Ankle 1-2 Weeks
    Charlie Spargo Achilles TBC
    Joel Smith Suspension TBA
    Christian Petracca Ribs Season

  • Player of the Year  


        PLAYER VOTES
    1 Max Gawn 162
    2 Steven May 100
    3 Christian Petracca 97
    4 Jack Viney 86
    5 Alex Neal-Bullen 85
    6 Trent Rivers 81
    7 Kysaiah Pickett 57
    8 Jacob van Rooyen 55
    9 Clayton Oliver 53
    10 Ed Langdon 49

        FULL TABLE
  • Demonland Interviews 



  • Upcoming Events 

×
×
  • Create New...