Stuff drafting a kid, poach a key forward.

Gorgoroth

Need some better kicks and intelligenceup field. Shame Salem has been well below par since 2021.

In Van Rooyen, Fritsch, Petty we have all the pieces to the forward puzzle.

Edited by BillyBeane

If it were that simple then for sure sign a KPF but who can we get.

and anyways, our F50 plan is rubbish. Bombs away. What KPF wants to join and try to mark one of the dozens of garryowens hoisted into our f50 every game. We need a new plan because our current one is just not fit for purpose 

2 hours ago, praha said:

Everyone is fixed on a forward. Like I have said earlier, Fritsch at his best is better than any Pies forward. Pickett, ANB, Smith, JVR, Melksham as a forward line is quite potent. The Pies don't have a superstar forward line. They simply match up better structurally and work harder to get into space.

This is a strategic issue, not a player issue.

👓👓👓👓

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rjay said:

So, it's Stanford's fault that we don't have a good key forward.

...and the only promising one we had (Petty) got injured.

Go figure.

That's a strawman response, rjay

At the end of the day it is Stafford and Goody who create our forward line and the strategies we employ to kick goals. We've had injuries, Petty has had many, but so have other teams. The Grundy experiment has been a terrible failure, neither he nor Max can play forward successfully 

We've experimented with our forward line for years, had huge i50 numbers, but haven’t consistently made the most of this in big games since 2021

Collingwood's forward line looked far more open and effective than ours.

That's a strategy issue, that's the forward coach and senior coach

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

We lack depth. No doubt about it.

So many players that have been lacklustre  this year and haven't been dropped because there is nobody to replace them with.

I hate to say it but with our aging list we are on the verge of a semi rebuild.

It's been a strange season too. Lots of key players injured. Fritta. Petty. Gawn. Oliver. Salo. We haven't seemed to gel. Kozzie didn't deliver. Went backwards after his suspension. Oliver 12 weeks for a hammy.

Even Trac has been off the boil tge last 5 rounds.

Too many away games in the fixture including Kardinia,  Tassie and the Nt game.

The Nt is short sighted. Wins are more important.

We need to make some tough calls now. Bbb and Tmac and Grundy need to go. 

We will probably make finals again next year but like the dogs drift away.

I thought tgh 21 list would see maybe even three flags but I think it's going to be another drought.

Would have been so nice to not kick so incredibly bad at goal last night and be in a pf.

Imagine winning a granny at the G after almost six decades.

We blew it big time.

Losing Gus and having an inexperienced kid play in his place was a disaster. What a huge coaching error. What was Goody thinking? Wth.

Sadly we didn't show any revenge for Gus except for Viney.

Most teams would have flown the flag and all run at  Maynard.

Then roughed them all up at every turn. Why did we not seem to care?

Not a good sign.

Even with all our injuries this year we almost made it. Our inept kicking at goal has not been fixed. In fact it looks like it's getting worse.

But I think that's our campaign over now.

And it gets harder each season as the list ages.

It's a cruel mistress footy.

At least we can clear the fwd line out.

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, Stiff Arm said:

That's a strawman response, rjay

At the end of the day it is Stafford and Goody who create our forward line and the strategies we employ to kick goals. We've had injuries, Petty has had many, but so have other teams. The Grundy experiment has been a terrible failure, neither he nor Max can play forward successfully 

We've experimented with our forward line for years, had huge i50 numbers, but haven’t consistently made the most of this in big games since 2021

Collingwood's forward line looked far more open and effective than ours.

That's a strategy issue, that's the forward coach and senior coach

It's really not...it's a player issue.

The strategy is about making the most of what we have.

Only 2 class forwards.

You can't put the blame on Stafford for that.

To be in the position we are in with a pop gun attack is a credit to the coaching staff.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rjay said:

It's really not...it's a player issue.

The strategy is about making the most of what we have.

Only 2 class forwards.

You can't put the blame on Stafford for that.

To be in the position we are in with a pop gun attack is a credit to the coaching staff.

I disagree, but see your point.

The credit for where we are is due to our defence and contest. Goody has talked about this as being our core many times

We've probably not valued the forward line enough in the last 4-5 years to make the most of the defence and contest. We recruited BBB, a crippled lead up forward, then banged it in on his head, and Grundy, who isn't a forward. I fear JVR will not develop as he should due to the pressure to perform

We don't have enough quality forward players, but more importantly, nor do we have strategies to kick enough goals. The former doesn't work without the latter, regardless of personnel 

Our forward line last night was as crowded and disorganised as the train I took home. Maybe PTV are our forward line strategy consultants 🤔

Edited by Stiff Arm

What we dont need to do is throw all our draft picks in for a midfield kid.

We have pick 5, which may end up 7 or  8 depending on academy pics, use 5 for Nate Caddy.

Possibly the best forward in the draft, 192cm and 91 kilos already. This kid, JVR Fritta, Kozzie, Petty and Jefferson if he can size up would be what i go for. 

Our list isnt that old except for Max and May, the rest still have plenty left in them.

Keep the faith Dees supporters, we can still win it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stiff Arm said:

Our forward line last night was as crowded and disorganised as the train I took home. Maybe PTV are our forward line strategy consultants 🤔

This is by design though, I doubt Stafford says to Goody, what we really want is 26 blokes in here to limit our space and opportunity.

Our forward structure and method is the way it is because we don’t have good/reliable field kicks and we want to lock the ball as far from the opposition goal as we can.

Our forward setup is all about defence. Stafford nor anyone else will change that

Edited by BW511

1 minute ago, BW511 said:

This is by design though, I doubt Stafford says to Goody, what we really want is 26 blokes in here to limit our space and opportunity.

Our forward structure and method is the way it is because we don’t have good/reliable field kicks and we want to lock the ball as far from the opposition goal as we can.

Our forward setup is all about defence. Stafford nor anyone else will change that

Sure, but how do we kick goals when we are defence focussed in our F50?

The connection i50 has been an issue for years. But that goes two ways, it's hard to connect when there's no space, resting rucks, poor leading patterns and small guys flying for speckies instead of crumbing. Spargo is a very good kick i50, but he cannot get the ball often enough

I know it's more nuanced than that, and I'm just a punter in the stand. But clearly our forward line is not working and has been our biggest issue for years

My observation at the game was a lack of forward strategy / structure.

Everyone was going to the same spot, no one was decoying and no one was trying to create space. We spoiled each other and on the occasion we blocked it was way too obvious (how can so many other clubs do it and get away with it?).

I can’t see a KPF changing things. We need to go back to basics and get a new forward coach.

1 hour ago, BillyBeane said:

Need some better kicks and intelligenceup field. Shame Salem has been well below par since 2021.

In Van Rooyen, Fritsch, Petty we have all the pieces to the forward puzzle.

Yep 100% agree. I'm happy with VR, Fritsch and Petty. But there is not a lot behind them. Salem off half back needs to change too, and if we have McAdam next year. I'd prefer getting another quality mid and continue with Trac playing a little more forward. Add Kozzy, Chin and ANB and it's a good line up, problem is we didn't get them all playing together enough to be a cohesive unit.

That all said, McDonald and Ben Brown (and possibly on a sadder note Melksham) are not part of our future. 

If Xavier Duursma is being whispered to be a possibility to move out of Port, lets throw Grundy and a pick at them, grab his brother too and we are stronger again.

41 minutes ago, Deestinga2 said:

What we dont need to do is throw all our draft picks in for a midfield kid.

We have pick 5, which may end up 7 or  8 depending on academy pics, use 5 for Nate Caddy.

Possibly the best forward in the draft, 192cm and 91 kilos already. This kid, JVR Fritta, Kozzie, Petty and Jefferson if he can size up would be what i go for. 

Our list isnt that old except for Max and May, the rest still have plenty left in them.

Keep the faith Dees supporters, we can still win it.

Not with last nights forward line. Start thinking about 2024.

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

Not with last nights forward line. Start thinking about 2024.

The old depth chart doesn't look to good for mids.  Outside the ones playing last night, Woey, Jordon, Harmes.  

Jordon most likely gone at years end, Harmes good chance as well, Dunstan gone.  Leaving Woey jnr as the only mid not playing last night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjay said:

So, it's Stanford's fault that we don't have a good key forward.

...and the only promising one we had (Petty) got injured.

Go figure.

no its not Stanfords fault, its Staffords fault.

And its his fault that our forwards dont lead in patterns, and are stagnant, its been like that for 3 years. 

Its his fault he hasnt been able to get them to lead and make space, this is his job.

Edited by Tracca
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes yes yes. He’s a lad. A good bloke. But no idea on forward structures. They all lead to the same spot.  Spread. Come up and free up space. Teach leading. Teach Fritsch to tackle.  Teach kozzzy to burn off opponents.  In Carey or Brereton or some true ex forward. 

they would be lucky to lead. Fritsch is the only one that does lead everyone else points up in the air.

no wonder our midfield cant kick to advantage.

Fancy having a ruckman as a fwd line coach....

16 minutes ago, drdrake said:

The old depth chart doesn't look to good for mids.  Outside the ones playing last night, Woey, Jordon, Harmes.  

Jordon most likely gone at years end, Harmes good chance as well, Dunstan gone.  Leaving Woey jnr as the only mid not playing last night.

Off topic but I wouldnt blame Tommo if he left. It's almost as if he's not liked by the fd. Can't buy a game.

3 hours ago, drdrake said:

It's a genuine concern. If we don't draft two very good mids in the first round this year I think we'll be shooting ourselves in the foot in the medium to long term. We have more than enough flankers and project players.

We also need a readymade KPF to replace the outgoing TMac and BBB. Maybe Georgiades in a Grundy trade, maybe Ratagulea for a late draft pick. Hopefully Petty heals up ok and is right for next season. I can also foresee a huge challenge holding onto JVR. The Eagles will be offering stupid money to lure him home now that they've freed up a massive chunk of their salary cap.  

Regardless of this, I firmly believe that the priority with this draft should be midfield succession planning. 

Edited by leucopogon

I probably agree about Greg Stafford. But poaching a key forward? Next year we will have JVR really starting to fire, and Petty back and hopefully free of injury. So what do we do with the new recruit? Send him to Casey like we have done with Grundy? In fact, which key forward would want to come here when there is no assurance of a game - because you can't have three!

10 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Time to shelf the trying to get pick 1 etc, get gold coasts 4, and throw 4&5 at a key forward. McKay from Carlton, Allen from West coast are two of target. West coast would be happy with 1,4&5 going into the draft.

And unless we change our game plan or truly believe that Petty will be the main focal point and his body won’t fail him then we need to head hunt a genuine forward.

Do you not think they have been trying to do this? 

3 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Off topic but I wouldnt blame Tommo if he left. It's almost as if he's not liked by the fd. Can't buy a game.

He’s played half the season 

There was no match up for him last night 

He is slower than plugger Mac and has the turning circle of the QE2

Plus he tried to find a home last year and no one wanted him

• Like 1