Maynard must get at least four weeks

leave it to deever

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Listen it took them about 10 years just to run the spell check

And the server in the federal prison from which they run this site is not great

Good point. It must be difficult to run a site on a Nokia 3310 that’s been smuggled in via someone’s ‘prison wallet’.

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

You know what, they see it through Collingwood eyes just as we'd see it through Melbourne eyes if Viney did that too Pendlebury. In fact take out the crazy and it's the same stuff as we read here but through black and white eyes

80% of them are just us born into a Collingwood family. (20% of them are inbred scum)

My brother (a Bluebagger) hadn't seen the incident because he was travelling down from the bush - driving past the Benalla Bikies but miraculously surviving. When he watched it whilst we were in the queue for Friday night's game he was gobsmacked, nearly dropped the phone in shock.

Edited by TRIGON
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, binman said:

Serious question. 

Two actually 

It's youwho  accidentally knocked out a player.

You want to go around to see him asap to apologise.

But of course you are aware emotions are running high, particularly only two days since the incident.

And given the seriousness of the injury, being a reasonable and relatively smart person (or at least having such people around you giving you good advice) there is every chance the player you have knocked our cold for two full minutes may not be well enough to receive visitors or may have medical staff, family, friends or teammates with him who a very likely not wanting to see you.

So two questions:

Do you drop in unannounced ie without calling ahead?

Do you ensure the visit is kept secret because you don't want people to misinterpret the reason for your visit, question your sincerity or create any more media noise that could be upsetting to the victim?

Oh, and one more question.

Do you bring a bottle of wine when you visit as a gift for a player who has had a significant head trauma?

What a great post.

Clearly the wine idea was Maynards.

But for sure you give the guy and his family some space. It's not about you.

And thirdly, you humbly keep it mom, until a verdict is final.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 2

The tweet they put out this morning of Gus at training was removed as Collingwood nuffies took it over with some [censored] comments now they are saying they deleted it as it goes against there narrative that Gus is struggling, congratulations Collingwood you just took Geelongs place as my most hated club I want nothing but failure for them 

• Like 1
  • Clap 2

25 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

You know what, they see it through Collingwood eyes just as we'd see it through Melbourne eyes if Viney did that too Pendlebury. In fact take out the crazy and it's the same stuff as we read here but through black and white eyes. 

80% of them are just us born into a Collingwood family. (20% of them are inbred scum)

Very few Melbourne supporters thought what Kosi did in round 2 was ok. I also haven’t seen a single person on this site suggest Roo should get off after he elbowed McStay in the head. 
Of course every supporter base is biased, but Melbourne fans don’t go around calling injured players weak, or wishing them or their family traumatic brain injuries. Ffs. 

• Like 14
  • Clap 1

8 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Very few Melbourne supporters thought what Kosi did in round 2 was ok. I also haven’t seen a single person on this site suggest Roo should get off after he elbowed McStay in the head. 
Of course every supporter base is biased, but Melbourne fans don’t go around calling injured players weak, or wishing them or their family traumatic brain injuries. Ffs. 

Nor we go on TW and other social media harrassing opposition club and supporters like a rabid mob.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, loges said:

Agree with what your saying here, but in effect that's saying we'll look after the concussed players next year but we're not going to worry about them this year.

They have a Pies flag to make sure of this year.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

I worked at Collingwood social club in the late 70s. In those days the supporters were passionate but salt of the earth working class people. In my time there they copped the Phil Carmen suspension on the chin and also losing the unloseable GF where they were well up and had begun crlebrations at 3/4 time. Nowdays they more a resemble Melb Victory soccer crowd with group mentality 

Edited by Half forward flank

35 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

A % of them absolutely do, you’re kidding yourself if you think otherwise. The Collingwood people are hiding behind “accidental” and no “intent” just as many on here would go if we reversed the situation. Anywho, I think they’re scumbags and really hope we meet on GF Day.

5 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

I am so fed up with the AFL. The sooner our season ends and I can stop giving my hard earned money and emotional energy to this corrupt garbage of an organization the better. 

Don't you like them?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, daisycutter said:

in the hun this morning robbo defined it as a "pure" footy action, yes, pure!

the guy is a compromised imbecile ... as if we didn't always know that

how someone like him can be the chief football writer at the paper always amazes me

I don't think Robbo is well.

I think he has gone from imbecile, to ill imbecile.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

A % of them absolutely do, you’re kidding yourself if you think otherwise. The Collingwood people are hiding behind “accidental” and no “intent” just as many on here would go if we reversed the situation. Anywho, I think they’re scumbags and really hope we meet on GF Day.

What I've seen from Pies fans this week is honestly some of the worst garbage I've experienced in my time on this earth and has made me genuinely sad for the future of the world, as it's an insight into the spiteful hate simmering beneath the surface of so many people's brains.

The worst thing is I've found myself tempted to go there too, and it's just not worth it.

• Like 4

David Mundy. 376 games of AFL 

“If Brayden Maynard was falling and that was Scott Pendlebury underneath him, I think he would make a different decision than cover up and just protect himself and not worry about the other player.”

When asked by Adam Papalia what Maynard should have done differently, Mundy used all of his 376 games of AFL experience when building his response.

“When you’ve jumped up and you’re in the air and there’s a player underneath you, you have the ability to almost catch yourself as you’re falling on top of them. It would have been really awkward and they’d have had a tumble, but that response has a much lesser chance of resulting in serious health concerns.”

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, The heart beats true said:

Good God.

Does ’Nick’s Bulletin Board’ run on Windows 95? Are they still trying to make sure they are Y2K compliant?

And just make sure Nick if you get any DMs from someone in Nigeria asking for money, definitely send it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, David-Demon said:

"Collingwood legend Nathan Buckley says he doesn’t believe Brayden Maynard’s collision with Angus Brayshaw warrants suspension, suggesting there’s too much “grey area” in the AFL’s focus on duty of care."

Listening to Buckley and Brown talk about this and making excuese for Maynard on 'On The Couch' last night made me just question their intellect (as if I hadn't already).  I generally like them as comentators and think they offer a more reasoned ballanced and insightful viewpoint than alot, but last night they lost me.

In particular Buckley described the contact to Maynard as "incidental" .  If blokes getting knocked out is incidental, I don't know where we go to from here.  I suspect it was a mistaken word selection and he ment accidental, but that's an asides.

The point well made by hoast Garry Lyon is that we've accepted there is a responsibility of the player to have a duty of care during the football actions of tackling and bumping, then why not the same for smothering?  But Buckley and Brown seemed to take the dumb stance that this was an unavoidable 'football incident' inherent to the game, which I think is wrong.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Chook said:

What I've seen from Pies fans this week is honestly some of the worst garbage I've experienced in my time on this earth and has made me genuinely sad for the future of the world, as it's an insight into the spiteful hate simmering beneath the surface of so many people's brains.

The worst thing is I've found myself tempted to go there too, and it's just not worth it.

Post Covid the fan behaviour has plummeted. They should come down really hard on it for a year or 2 and sort it out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Listening to Buckley and Brown talk about this and making excuese for Maynard on 'On The Couch' last night made me just question their intellect (as if I hadn't already).  I generally like them as comentators and think they offer a more reasoned ballanced and insightful viewpoint than alot, but last night they lost me.

In particular Buckley described the contact to Maynard as "incidental" .  If blokes getting knocked out is incidental, I don't know where we go to from here.  I suspect it was a mistaken word selection and he ment accidental, but that's an asides.

The point well made by hoast Garry Lyon is that we've accepted there is a responsibility of the player to have a duty of care during the football actions of tackling and bumping, then why not the same for smothering?  But Buckley and Brown seemed to take the dumb stance that this was an unavoidable 'football incident' inherent to the game, which I think is wrong.

Brown's point was clear, he believed Maynard wasn't guilty because as yet the AFL hasn't come down on poorly executed smothers as it has with bumps and tackles. He's wrong but it's not the worst opinion going around.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Well if I ever saw a Melbourne fan post online that they wish an opposition player or their mum gets a traumatic brain injury, or hear a Melbourne supporter cheer a concussed player on the ground, or sprout vile racist comments, I would report them to the club and hope they are never allowed to buy a membership or attend a game ever again. 

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

I actually do think Roo was stiff in so far as the contact was both on the more incidental side, I actually don't think it was intentional (i.e. I think he was instinctively putting his arm out to protect himself/His space or for ballance and McStay also happened to be down low) and McStay also wasn't evaluated as having received concussion.

But given the borderline case and stance that the AFL's stance on protecting the head, I don't think it's worth arguing the toss with the AFL and the MGC have supported this stance by the AFL.

Conversely Maynard did KO the guy - to me that's automatically easily degree higher consequence than JVR .  If the tribunal uphold the suspension, which I'm almost sure they will, I think Collingwood need to think long and hard about going the legal option and I think it is a very poor reflection on them as a club if they do.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter

26 minutes ago, Chook said:

yeah chook, good idea to keep away from earth and other people's brains

stick with demonland

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, layzie said:

Oh have I got the example for you!

1982 World Cup Germany vs France. Goalkeeper Shumacher comes out and nails French outfield player Patrick Battiston. Battiston was taken away on a stretcher.

Unbelievably there was no foul and the ref called goal kick! These days I'd imagine this would be red card and lengthy suspension..

The Dutch referee, Charles Corver, was widely and rightly condemned world-wide at the time. His weak excuse was that he was watching the flight of the ball and didn't see the collision. No such excuse for an AFL player under the scrutiny of multiple umpires and TV cameras. The similarity between Schumacher's violent challenge and Maynard's is striking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Brown's point was clear, he believed Maynard wasn't guilty because as yet the AFL hasn't come down on poorly executed smothers as it has with bumps and tackles. He's wrong but it's not the worst opinion going around.

The AFL has made it pretty clear that whatever the action, it's principal has about taking reasonable care to protect the head.

Does there need to be a rule or explicit precedent to every 'football action' that if carelessly executed makes significant contact to the head?

This point seemed to be lost almost completely on Buckley and Brown.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

14 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

he wasn't knocked out by a smother ffs

he was knocked out by a bump, you know, what the afl has come down on. duh.

you're a moron, brown

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

Let's just make it clear - if Collingwood decide to put up an appeal on legal grounds to an AFL tribunal decision that rubs out Maynard for 2 weeks or more, what they are actually signalling to the rest of the league is that "Collingwoods premiership chances and our players are more important than anyone else's getting perminant brain damage".

I know Collingwood are one of the 'big clubs', but the AFL should be putting a very hard word on them not to legally appeal the tribunal decision, as should the AFLPA.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

I'd also suggest an unrealistic attempt to smother (was not near its flight, or attempting to follow the balls movement), leading to a careless, and intentional bump.

Any interpretation of where and what his eyes were focused on?

Looking at the video, it appears to me that he didn't look at the ball. Eyes on Gus only. If he followed the ball, then he would have gone across the path of Gus, to his right.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 4