PREGAME: QF vs Collingwood

Demonland

27 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Can’t play on him if Koz plays in the middle 

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

We may also want to drag Quaynor up the ground by playing Kozzy higher, but I still think in a big pressure final, I'd back Kozzy one out in the square. And I rate Quaynor very highly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

For the 60+ year olds on the forum, do you remember those games? (I'm over 60 and I don't.)

I think I remember Danny Hughes and  Brian Taylor not getting on well in the MCG game.

Also, I think I remember Collingwood kicking  a goal a millisecond after the half time siren, and we won by less than a goal!

• Like 2

The forward line this year has been a fascination to me - some in the media intimate it’s a massive issue and liability and I would have agreed a couple of months ago due to two things; no Fritsch, Brown, TMac, and Melksham meant not much forward craft and nous, and our forward connection was really down with little delivery to options, but the remedies have been impressive. With one addendum that Jake Melksham won’t be there to take pressure off Fritsch and provide ‘interceptor engagement’ of which is so good at. 

But back to the remedies;

Petracca - obvious one and a powerful one made even more so with Oliver coming back.

Chandler in the team - allows another speed forward in Pickett to get up the ground and also play out of the guts.

Smith being trusted - I came down for the Carl-Freo-Coll games and he was avoided in 1-1 contests like the plague but now there is more trust there.

Pickett out of the square - last week against the Swans he was a 5’8 Tony Lockett putting the fear of god into people kidneys coming out of the square. SCG is a unique ground but there is another option that Kozzie is more than happy to execute. He never can mark it so he may as well knee someone in the back of the head.

What we are left with after the last 8 weeks is a really potent number of options regardless of if they go small or tall with TMac. IF our forward connection is good enough and we look to hit the option and not blast away, we have a good enough forward line to kick a winning score.

Well done to Goodwin and Stafford. 

• Like 13
  • Clap 1

8 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Big Carl’s last game 1980

He knew how to Deal with Collingwood Players 

D0125862-2C1B-41E8-9FBF-943A63955E45.jpeg

I was at that game. From memory the Pies were playing in the finals the following week and we were towards the bottom of the ladder. Most enjoyable memories was seeing at least three Collingwood players sprawled on the ground mid way through the last quarter all at the same time.  I think big Carl had directly contributed to two of them….. nice!

Edited by Wodjathefirst
  • Like 3

On 8/29/2023 at 1:27 PM, Deebauched said:

Even Sam Edmond is jumping on the Grundy bandwagon and suggesting he is as good as gone to Port or Swans.  Where do they get all these rumours or is it all click bait.

Surely Grundy is a required player. Gawn could get injured in the QF especially if that yank slams his knee into him.

8 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Big Carl’s last game 1980

He knew how to Deal with Collingwood Players 

D0125862-2C1B-41E8-9FBF-943A63955E45.jpeg

Big Carl!

Didn't get to see him myself but from everything I've read and heard I like to think he brought some order back to the Dees. 

3 hours ago, rpfc said:

Pickett out of the square - last week against the Swans he was a 5’8 Tony Lockett putting the fear of god into people kidneys coming out of the square. SCG is a unique ground but there is another option that Kozzie is more than happy to execute. He never can mark it so he may as well knee someone in the back of the head.

An interesting and observant post..

But i really liked this paragraph...esp...the last bit !!!    lol

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, rpfc said:

The forward line this year has been a fascination to me - some in the media intimate it’s a massive issue and liability and I would have agreed a couple of months ago due to two things; no Fritsch, Brown, TMac, and Melksham meant not much forward craft and nous, and our forward connection was really down with little delivery to options, but the remedies have been impressive. With one addendum that Jake Melksham won’t be there to take pressure off Fritsch and provide ‘interceptor engagement’ of which is so good at. 

But back to the remedies;

Petracca - obvious one and a powerful one made even more so with Oliver coming back.

Chandler in the team - allows another speed forward in Pickett to get up the ground and also play out of the guts.

Smith being trusted - I came down for the Carl-Freo-Coll games and he was avoided in 1-1 contests like the plague but now there is more trust there.

What we are left with after the last 8 weeks is a really potent number of options regardless of if they go small or tall with TMac. IF our forward connection is good enough and we look to hit the option and not blast away, we have a good enough forward line to kick a winning score.

Well done to Goodwin and Stafford. 

Yeah well said, the Joel Smith we see now is different to the one that played those games. He needed that consistent stint to fine tine some things is his game and while he isn't perfect I'd be backing him to put up a fight in those contests.

T-Mac is the key for mine, if he's healthy and has a good level of moving ability then I'm more confident with the balance of this forward group. It won't be about mark and goal tallies for him, just needs to perform his role. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, layzie said:

Big Carl!

Didn't get to see him myself but from everything I've read and heard I like to think he brought some order back to the Dees. 

He didn’t have much success as a coach but he put a hardness back into the team which was pussycat soft before he came over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Yeah well said, the Joel Smith we see now is different to the one that played those games. He needed that consistent stint to fine tine some things is his game and while he isn't perfect I'd be backing him to put up a fight in those contests.

T-Mac is the key for mine, if he's healthy and has a good level of moving ability then I'm more confident with the balance of this forward group. It won't be about mark and goal tallies for him, just needs to perform his role. 

T Mac also provides the experience that Melky has and will be missed, just guiding the younger boys if things are not going our way could be important in front of a big crowd 

Edited by Rednblueriseing
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

We may also want to drag Quaynor up the ground by playing Kozzy higher, but I still think in a big pressure final, I'd back Kozzy one out in the square. And I rate Quaynor very highly.

TMac to Moore

JVR to Murphy

Fritsch to Quaynor?

Watching last years Rd 22 game and Cox is a dog. The number of times he knees Gawn is disgusting.

I also hope someone takes out Maynard and his faux toughness.

Very interesting first half. We killed then in CPs but allowed them to score too easily.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 2

Not sure if he will or not, but if TMac gets selected to play finals it will be an absolute credit to him and his amazing determination, persistence and never-give-in attitude given the injuries and the time out he’s had over the last few years. If he is fit and in form we are a better side with him playing.

• Like 16
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Watching last years Rd 22 game and Cox is a dog. The number of times he knees Gawn is disgusting.

Very interesting first half. We killed then in CPs but allowed them to score too easily.

I rewatched this year's KB game.

One thing we did superbly was to push our D line up the field. Many times McVee, Salem or May/Lever would disrupt Collingwood's fast transition. We created a lot of turnovers from Collingwood's turnover attempts.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

TMac to Moore

JVR to Murphy

Fritsch to Quaynor?

I'd rather Smith in that mix. It was Smith and Fritta that rotated on Moore on KB. TMac is too slow to play on Moore, I reckon. Unless TMac can drag Moore up the ground, but that makes his intercept marking potentially more dangerous.

It's a tough one.

9 hours ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

I think I remember Danny Hughes and  Brian Taylor not getting on well in the MCG game.

Also, I think I remember Collingwood kicking  a goal a millisecond after the half time siren, and we won by less than a goal!

BT in prison strip running around after Danny Hughes at Her Majesty’s MCG gave the keystone cops a run for their money. We were most amused!

Robbie Flower took a terrific pack mark and kicked a goal (of course) at the Jolimont end during that match.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Does it every time we play them he is an absolute scumbag, hopefully the club has pointed this out to the AFL. Fairly certain he did it on QB 2022 which contributed to Maxys injury.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 3

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

I know it's frowned upon by the pc fun police  but the only way to enlighten Mr Cox is by introducing him to close quarter horticultural experiences  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2