GAMEDAY: Rd 22 vs Carlton

Demonland

1 hour ago, In Harmes Way said:

I’ve enjoyed the fact that we’ve largely been flying under the radar despite the fact we’re 2nd on the ladder. After we take the choccies tonight the spotlight will well and truly be on. Games like this are a great tune up for finals, bring it on.

My niggling sixth sense keeps telling me that after the win against Blue Goo tonight, we will rage in the finals to our sheer delight and this will be achieved by something up-the-sleeve that we so far have not considered ... as if we had a secret weapon or change under construction that is going to rip predictable opposition strategies to pieces. Hence, flying under the radar is potentially a wonderful thing. 

Just now, Ethan Tremblay said:

We had zero cohesion for the first half last week. Best be switched on and on the same page from the first bounce or we’ll get smashed and won’t come back like we did against North. 

I think it’s fair to suggest that our players won’t be going to this game thinking Carlton are the easy beats North are. 

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

Got the usual MFCSS.

Why does Grundy playing worry me ?

To beat carlton will put a real dampener on them for the rest of the year. That would be a real bonus.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I shall be watching today's game at Fitzgerald's Sports Bar in Nana in the company of defrocked and disgraced Demonlander SWYL. 

We shall get outrageously drunk while celebrating both Clarrie's return and giving the blue baggers ( who, according to some local supporters, are apparently 2023 premiers) a dose of reality.

PS. A cultural observation. A lot of the sheilas around here have very husky voices - something in the spicy food, I suppose.

Might be the ADAMS APPLE

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, old dee said:

Without Petty and Fritz I struggle to see kicking a winning score. Make no mistake the blues are playing well. Demons by one goal. I Hope. 

Yup, they've got some good talent back there and their system has been excellent recently.    Would like to take some contested marks/win contested ground ball inside 50 early to unsettle them.  Similar to how our defenders are put under pressure at times.   Would be shocked if it's a shoot out. 

3 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

Yup, they've got some good talent back there and their system has been excellent recently.    Would like to take some contested marks/win contested ground ball inside 50 early to unsettle them.  Similar to how our defenders are put under pressure at times.   Would be shocked if it's a shoot out. 

Yes I think a low scoring boring game suits us at present.

Accuracy on goal will be a heavy determinant methinks

22 minutes ago, old dee said:

Without Petty and Fritz I struggle to see kicking a winning score. Make no mistake the blues are playing well. Demons by one goal. I Hope. 

blues have kicked 10,14,21(against eagles),18 and 14

Melbournes have been 13,1414,16and 12. 
that’s me taking out Pettys goals and no fritsch. Not to bad to me

Either way hope you’re right and goes our way!

33 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I think it’s fair to suggest that our players won’t be going to this game thinking Carlton are the easy beats North are. 

Where will our goals come from?

Last encounter entailed strong backlines  and low scores from both teams.

I hope Milk is switched on today and our smalls continue on their merry way.

Perhaps Trac to go into the fwd mix again.

Grundy worries me as a fwd. Many including myself have touted his ability to bring the ball to ground. But a forward s job is to kick goals. I guess he's last man standing at this point in time if we are all honest. I hope he proves me wrong and kicks four.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1

This game is crunch time. It will show everybody our worth (or not) It is by far our biggest test yet.

If we win convincingly I have no doubts we will have red hot go at the flag and everybody will be put on notice that the Dees are coming.

• Like 2

Sometimes I need to remind myself to enjoy the moment we are in as a football club. What an amazing point in time where we can go about our Saturday knowing we are one of the premiership favourites going into a blockbuster on Saturday night. During those endless dark years, these are the times I use to dream about. We are going to look back in years to come and be in awe at some of the talent we have. Gawn, Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Pickett, May, Lever, Brayshaw and co. 

Don't think too far ahead, enjoy the day, enjoy the night and sit back and watch our players give it all. No matter the result, we are going into finals with a double chance. Go Dees! 

• Like 10
  • Love 4
  • Clap 3

5 minutes ago, doc roet said:

This game is crunch time. It will show everybody our worth (or not) It is by far our biggest test yet.

If we win convincingly I have no doubts we will have red hot go at the flag and everybody will be put on notice that the Dees are coming.

Fully agree. I think we have already served notice that we are coming and a second fave for a flag. Losing will relegate us back to third or fourth and in the mix with a few others. Carlton fans arguing that a win for them will make them the real deal. A win for us will help cement second and relegate those pesky blues to fight with a number of others to play finals. Hopefully the players respond to the pressure of this game result and are on from the first bounce. I think Oliver back in will bring a real sense of energy and confidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

And our crowds have been pretty good this season I would have thought, bar two or three games.

It can be a little misleading on TV because the cameras face the shane warne fans where more oppo fans sit.

Both correct points @binman

There’s a fair bit of shame and self loathing from Dees fans about our crowds, probably stemming from the sledging we cop on socials from halfwit oppo fans who don’t do math good and also only watch on tv where they can’t see a packed MCC and Olympic stand.

Per the tables below, we’re 5th for overall average match attendance so far this year, and 4th for average home attendance (including whatever handful we got at Alice), in line with the last couple of years.

Our numbers are good, don’t let any peabrain tell you different (especially hawkers who still think it’s 2015).

IMG_2096.thumb.jpeg.d3d1e3a95860de82291a6ddd50eef9e9.jpeg

IMG_2097.thumb.jpeg.98f04d1f94e33eae1d606d244cdf3344.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2

16 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I think Grundy will do most of the rucking tonight.

I can’t see that happening with his around the ground dominance of Gawn. I think JvR will play the Petty role and Grundy the JvR role. I’ll put my house on Grundy starting on the ground at FF/CHF.

• Like 1

When the pressure was high against us last week, we folded. Hope they did some restructuring and have a plan when they come at us.

A six day break with travel, is not optimal. Though, being back on the "G" is.

Tracca and Vines to flourish. Clarry, back with quick and clean hands, backline support and hopefully has some goals assist with a few class kicks. 

Wonder what the mids look like, especially where Brayshaw plays.

Some perfect ball movement and hitting the mark, would be great to see, as we polish our game.

Go Dees.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I can’t see that happening with his around the ground dominance of Gawn. I think JvR will play the Petty role and Grundy the JvR role. I’ll put my house on Grundy starting on the ground at FF/CHF.

Max is simply a much better rman. His recent  performance have been outstanding. I don't think they will tinker with something working so well.

19 minutes ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

Both correct points @binman

There’s a fair bit of shame and self loathing from Dees fans about our crowds, probably stemming from the sledging we cop on socials from halfwit oppo fans who don’t do math good and also only watch on tv where they can’t see a packed MCC and Olympic stand.

Per the tables below, we’re 5th for overall average match attendance so far this year, and 4th for average home attendance (including whatever handful we got at Alice), in line with the last couple of years.

Our numbers are good, don’t let any peabrain tell you different (especially hawkers who still think it’s 2015).

IMG_2096.thumb.jpeg.d3d1e3a95860de82291a6ddd50eef9e9.jpeg

IMG_2097.thumb.jpeg.98f04d1f94e33eae1d606d244cdf3344.jpeg

Ta.

The other metric is crowd size in relation to membership numbers.

So only 54k turning up to a tigers  home game againsy the dees is worse than if 54k turning up to a dees home game because they have so many more members.

I'd argue, in addition to the social media stuff influencing dees fans perception of our preparedness to turn up to the footy, a big factor in this weird enduring myth Is the media has been driving this myth as long as I can remember.

A perfect example of the impact on the public perception when the footy media push false and/or misleading narratives.

Even dees fan buy into the dees fans don’t turn up myth.

Edited by binman
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

12 minutes ago, Gillies said:

Still the best sporting city in the world 

Best of many things. Art, eating, festivals, day trips, walking around the parks, rivers and creeks, visually beautiful, architectural highlights, could keep going.

Why do the poor and struggling people disturb your experience so much?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

28 minutes ago, Gillies said:

Used to be. Has become a bit of a liberal s*^thole now. Drugs and homelessness everywhere in the city. Was surprised after being away 15 years, what a dump it’s become . Becoming like Seattle or San Francisco in the US. Still the best sporting city in the world 

That's rubbish.  I lived in San Franscisco for 3 years and the drug and homeless problem there is far, far worse than in Melbourne.  There is nothing comparable to the Tenderloin in Melbourne.

Edited by old55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2