Targets 2023

Turner

5 hours ago, adonski said:

Via the AFL site

GEELONG youngster Max Holmes has become a target for rival clubs after his fantastic start to the year, despite the impressive midfielder still being contracted at the Cats for next season.

Would think Holmes wouldn't be happy about this treatment for last year's GF.

We targetted Holmes at the draft but Geelong made a very late pick trade to get him.  We would have Holmes and Bowey instead of Bowey and Laurie.

We have been targetting an elite mid/wing (via draft or trade) for years:  Gaff, Butters, Anderson (had we not lost pick 2 in 2019) Holmes, Cerra, Humprhrey but we just haven't been able to get the deals done.

We need to soon find the next gen mids/wings to step up as our midfield ages!  I would be surprised if isn't targetting this type of player at either the draft or via trade.  

Holmes would have known we would take him if he was on the board at our first pick and Taylor tracks his targets.

Would be very happy to get him to the club and we have the draft currency to do it.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 7

We definitely need more classy midfielders that are excellent kicks.

Lachie Hunter has helped. But we need more great kicks and great decision makers.

Connection into the forward line is still a lingering issue for our team and needs to be resolved.

If you cannot hit a leading player "lace out" on the chest with a kick then you probably shouldn't be playing AFL to be brutally honest.

Look at the fantastic kicks they have at Collingwood and Port Adelaide? This should be a non-negotiable at the Melbourne Football Club too.

Anyway, I have faith in Jason Taylor and the Demons recruiting team.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Clubs sniffing around Ginnivan. Doubtful it’s us but he would definitely add some flare.

I wouldn't say no.

The bloke is a circus, but when you only consider his footballing ability, he's a terrific goal kicker and has a very neat 54.27 to his name.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

One of the key reasons we've fallen behind these two clubs.

Agreed!

Besides Salem, Bowey and Hunter the rest are "hit and miss" as they say.

Any players drafted or traded to the Demons must be excellent kicks and decision makers.

• Like 3

If Holmes jumped off the Cats now, I would be all over him.

Can play inside or out, elite runner and the perfect alternative to the bang and crash of Clarry/Trac/Viney.

I see Georgiades as a marginally more physical version of Fritta, with a little less natural goal kicking ability. I don't see how he fits or makes us better.

I actually watched the VFL game on TV before ours on the weekend. Ginnivan is a no for me, he's a little one dimensional (offense only)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stiff Arm said:

I've heard WCE have offered English and Naughton between $1.3-1.4mill per year for 5 years. First to accept gets it, but not both

First to accept gets it?

Haha come on

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demon Disciple said:

They are a club that perpetually refuses to 'rebuild'. Have to admire that in a way.....................................Excuse me whilst i clean my mouth out with bleach.

Yep their goto is looking at disgruntled, high profile non performing players that they look to rejuvenate through their club culture and administration. 

Usually relies heavily on the senior players to pedal the culture forward...they have some great leaders in Smith, Hawkins, Steward and Danger... most of these guys don't have long left though, so will be keen to see who picks up the slack or has Humpty Dumpty experienced firsthand, "it all came tumbling down".

16 minutes ago, adonski said:

Some bloke (a dogs fan) on bigfooty (I know) reckons we're prepared to sell the farm for Oscar Allan, WCE are going equally as hard for Tim English, and Tomlinson is off to the dogs!

premier league wink GIF by BBC America

Hard to see West Coast giving him up since he's contracted for another 2 years and young enough to build a team around.

Would be amazing get though.

1 hour ago, adonski said:

Some bloke (a dogs fan) on bigfooty (I know) reckons we're prepared to sell the farm for Oscar Allan, WCE are going equally as hard for Tim English, and Tomlinson is off to the dogs!

A fair 3-way trade me feels. Tomlinson is commensurate value to the likes of English and Allan 😝

On 6/30/2023 at 12:05 PM, Lord Travis said:

They should forego free agency. Free agency sucks and the game is worse for it. It's essentially just widened the gaps between the strong clubs and the weak clubs. It's not worked as intended and has hindered the league. Everyone except the rich players and rich clubs would benefit from getting rid of free agency and rolling back to trade rules from the early 2000s. We've already got overly complex [censored] like point ratings of picks and trading future picks etc. It's convoluted unfair rubbish and more and more people are turning on what the "sport" is becoming.

Being traded against their will would suck too. Imagine signing a contract to work for company X in Victoria, only to be told sorry pack up your life and move your family to WA to work for competing company Z. [censored] off the relationships you have with your colleagues and leaders, start over against your will and do it quickly. Players would rightly just say [censored] off and sit out instead.

If clubs were able to trade players against their will and had a mid season trade period, I'd probably stop following AFL and stop supporting Melbourne after investing decades and $10,000s towards the club. Clubs would essentially just buy premierships. Imagine trading in stars like Curnow or Toby Greene from teams not in finals contention. It might be unpredictable and exciting, but it would be ****house and destroy any integrity of the competition. If a club did that and won the premiership, you'd look at that flag and put an asterisk next to it that they just bought it and it's illegitimate. If that became the status quo, then people would stop following clubs and start following players instead. 

Just because other sports in other countries have different trading rules, doesn't mean we should. Our game is better than theirs for a number of reasons, and the salary cap and restrictive trade rules are key positive differentiators to pathetic trash sports and leagues like the EPL.

As has already been posted, free agency is only there because of concerns over restraint of trade. It won't be going away. 

Of course the Clubs want to be able to trade players against their will. They also want a mid-season trade period. I'm against both. AFL Players aren't paid enough for the former to be agreed. Imagine in your profession if you were told you would be moved to another company in another state and had no say in it. At least you could resign but contracted AFL players wouldn't be able to. One of the reasons why the mid-season trade is a thing in the NBA is because elite players want to be able to force their way out of underperforning teams, and teams want to buy championships and overcome existing list management ineptitude. It's ridiculous. AFL fans don't want to see players they identify with sold part-way through a season. And it would actually enhance existing inequities in the system.   

Edited by Sydney_Demon
Typos
  • Like 2