McVee & Laurie vs Baker

Cranky Franky

1 hour ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Was there a brief altercation between Baker and some of his former teammates?

Maxy gave him an absolute earful when he was on the ground (I can't remember exactly what Baker did). Not sure if they personally don't like each other or what but I've never seen Maxy look that [censored] off/aggressive towards another player. Was genuinely not happy about something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Gong it make a wildly controversial statement but I think McVee got the points tonight out of the 3 boys.

Composure excellent for a debutant.

Not in the least controversial I would say - McVee stood well ahead of Baker and Laurie.  He will hold his spot but Laurie is likely to go down to Casey especially if Fritter is ready to go.

• Like 6

Laurie probably holds his spot for another week given a likely Pickett suspension. Thought Laurie was fine off limited touches, enjoyed his handball to advantage for his first possession.

McVee looks like one of those players who just has a bit more time than everyone else, looks like he has a lot of natural ability. Also took some somewhat aggressive kicks with success.  

• Like 2

I’m happy sauce got a second chance.

His kicking did improve from a low base.

His endurance took a big step forward with the Burgo years and training with Langdon.

He probably couldn’t had a chance last year but the coaches didn’t rate his contest work. The dogs flick the ball around more and he might do fine there.

Laurie is an interesting player. There’s a lot against him making it but he has smarts and great character. I just see him as a project player which you don’t expect from an early pick mid/forward but sometimes that’s what you get. I thought he worked really hard tonight to do his role.

McVee, still a list of talented opponents for him to play to frank his defensive capabilities. But he’s clearly got class and balance and his jump from year 1 to year 2 has been an incredible surprise.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, adonski said:

Laurie probably holds his spot for another week given a likely Pickett suspension. Thought Laurie was fine off limited touches, enjoyed his handball to advantage for his first possession.

McVee looks like one of those players who just has a bit more time than everyone else, looks like he has a lot of natural ability. Also took some somewhat aggressive kicks with success.  

Laurie looked mostly clueless today just like he did in the practice game.

Not currently up to it by a long long way.

• Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

Baker showed last night why he was 2 years late in being delisted. Can't believe he and Hannan are running around at AFL level as we speak.

Whilst Baker has good speed it's his inconsistencies in game to go missing for greater periods of the game, and also his tendency to butcher the footy under no pressure is why he's played 1 AFL game in two years. 5 minutes into the 3rd and at one stage Baker had only 3 disposal next to his name...

I can imagine some of the current Dees players would have had a little giggle to themselves in being perplexed seeing his name on the team sheet come round 1.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 1:50 PM, Cranky Franky said:

I'll be interested to see how the 3 go for the game & season. I watched Casey last year & thought Baker the better player by a mile. I thought the fact that he only got 1 senior game in 2 years showed poor judgement by our coaches.

Good luck to all 3.

Never impressed with us. That solitary goal last night was more than he showed for us at any point.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

Absolute gobbledygook. Not sure where u dreamed this up from. I watched every Casey game in 2022 & Oskar's disposal was fine.

Maybe you have some objective facts about disposal efficiency.

i think we can all safely say that our new recruits ran rings round Baker. Nothing against him personally but his form and disposal at VfL level never stood up at AFL level and he had plenty of opportunities.  I wish him & Weideman all the best at their new clubs but they added nothing to ours.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Baker showed last night why he was 2 years late in being delisted. Can't believe he and Hannan are running around at AFL level as we speak.

Whilst Baker has good speed it's his inconsistencies in game to go missing for greater periods of the game, and also his tendency to butcher the footy under no pressure is why he's played 1 AFL game in two years. 5 minutes into the 3rd and at one stage Baker had only 3 disposal next to his name...

I can imagine some of the current Dees players would have had a little giggle to themselves in being perplexed seeing his name on the team sheet come round 1.

Don't like him do you ?  

Can't believe some of the spiteful comments made about Baker on the site.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

Don't like him do you ?  

Can't believe some of the spiteful comments made about Baker on the site.

I'm sure he's a good lad.

Though, Maxy Gawn and a few others didn't think much of his character last night...

AFL is a performance based game that is judged purely on game day output and impact. It's a ruthless business. 

He's been on the AFL list for 6 years for 16 AFL games. This is all the enough evidence that I need to judge him on.

Go on the Doggies footy forums and they're scathing of his performance last night.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

Laurie looked mostly clueless today just like he did in the practice game.

Not currently up to it by a long long way.

I agree saw little last night but it is one game I doubt he will be dropped with kossie out next week.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 11:35 AM, dazzledavey36 said:

Go on the Doggies footy forums and they're scathing of his performance last night.

And that would be just as idiotic as the people on here that blame our poor performances on our 15-30th ranked players that cost nothing in the scheme of things when it’s really the top 10 paid players not performing that are the problem.  If the Bulldogs supporters have any sense, all their anger will be directed at the club for chasing and investing heavily in Lobb, a player who isn’t what they needed, and that’s not even mentioning his long term flakiness.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

I don’t see the point in sticking the boot into past players. If he was not good enough to make it at the Dees, so what? It happens. If other teams want them after we don’t, then good luck to them. Baker has my best wishes. 

I agree. Although I thought it was pretty rich of him to get stuck into McVee when he got done for HTB. Gawn obviously agreed and gave him an earful. 

On 3/18/2023 at 11:37 PM, BoBo said:

Maxy gave him an absolute earful when he was on the ground (I can't remember exactly what Baker did). Not sure if they personally don't like each other or what but I've never seen Maxy look that [censored] off/aggressive towards another player. Was genuinely not happy about something.

It appeared Baker stood over McVee when he got pinged for HTB and Gawn took exception to that.  Baker certainly then appeared to be claiming his innocence so it may have been a case of mistaken intentions.

I watched after they game and every Melbourne player warmly embraced him including Trac who made a beeline for him after doing a media interview.  Certainly didn’t seem any ill will between Gawn and Sauce.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

I don’t see the point in sticking the boot into past players. If he was not good enough to make it at the Dees, so what? It happens. If other teams want them after we don’t, then good luck to them. Baker has my best wishes. 

Amen

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Vipercrunch said:

It appeared Baker stood over McVee when he got pinged for HTB and Gawn took exception to that.  Baker certainly then appeared to be claiming his innocence so it may have been a case of mistaken intentions.

I watched after they game and every Melbourne player warmly embraced him including Trac who made a beeline for him after doing a media interview.  Certainly didn’t seem any ill will between Gawn and Sauce.

Ahh ok fair enough. It was just weird that Gawn was frothing at the mouth at Baker, never seen him like that before. 

• Like 1