PREGAME: Rd 01 vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

14 hours ago, Demonland said:

One thing that people overlook- is that Grundy coming over will likely prolong Maxy’s career. Getting another year or 2 out of Max or even an extra 4-5 games a year without injury is invaluable.

All hypothetical, but with Jackson gone Max would have rucked 80% of games for the next 2 years at least while developing the young rucks. Teams target him physically because of his importance. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

Oh no doubt, and if it wasn’t for the 5th (?) most important footy discussion show making it a ‘chink in the armour’ I would have paid it no heed.

Junk time in a junk game. 

It's hard to fathom that it's 'evidence' of anything. Still, it gets people talking I suppose...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

He was playing on a kid. He showed little respect and played 20m ahead of him. I wouldn’t infer much from it at all. The only learning for Petty would be you might want play properly when you’re playing, otherwise you’re just properly playing.

I thought the "kid" beat Petty in the air, when one on one. 

It was a practice match, and I imagine they all had their purposes, so in the review, lots of, this works, that doesn't, fix this up, and do this more, 

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

It's hard to fathom that it's 'evidence' of anything. Still, it gets people talking I suppose...

Exactly. It's a talking point, granted not a very good one but one nonetheless. 

• Like 1

Weightman a handy out for them.

Their other small forward Arthur Jones also ruled out.

Gardiner another out who is probably their number 2 best defender behind Liam Jones.

Hannan a possible inclusion after 5 Frankfurts in the VFL.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/882111/double-small-forward-blow-for-bulldogs-ahead-of-opener

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Weightman a handy out for them.

Their other small forward Arthur Jones also ruled out.

Gardiner another out who is probably their number 2 best defender behind Liam Jones.

Hannan a possible inclusion after 5 Frankfurts in the VFL.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/882111/double-small-forward-blow-for-bulldogs-ahead-of-opener

They will be terribly undermanned not just from those injuries but also from some of the players being talked up (Darcy, U-H) very inexperienced in age or others in their role: Lobb, Bruce etc.

Having to now juggle the pieces will add to the already significant challenge of synergy and cohesion from the list and role changes.

Cannot see them winning this.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SPC said:

One thing that people overlook- is that Grundy coming over will likely prolong Maxy’s career. Getting another year or 2 out of Max or even an extra 4-5 games a year without injury is invaluable.

All hypothetical, but with Jackson gone Max would have rucked 80% of games for the next 2 years at least while developing the young rucks. Teams target him physically because of his importance. 

Don’t forget the Marks taken by these two in last quarters when their opponents are fatigued from Rucking all day

Both Max and Reg need to work on goal kicking to maximize any advantage 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

They will be terribly undermanned not just from those injuries but also from some of the players being talked up (Darcy, U-H) very inexperienced in age or others in their role: Lobb, Bruce etc.

Having to now juggle the pieces will add to the already significant challenge of synergy and cohesion from the list and role changes.

U-H seemed to go ok against us last year - just saying !

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chook fowler said:

I think Jordon may be in the 23 - reliable mid-field depth in the absence of Viney.

You would think he would have played the practice match then I think they will give the young guns a go either Laurie or Woewodin.

8 minutes ago, Sydee said:

U-H seemed to go ok against us last year - just saying !

3 of the 5 were in the last quarter.  We had no Lever that day. 

At the other end we no Brown or McDonald.  Nonetheless, we had them at 3/4 time but like many other games last year we faded in the last.

UH won't get 5 again this week.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Ruck: English
Tall Defenders: Jones, Keath, Bruce?
Tall Forwards: Naughton, Lobb, JUH, Darcy?

That's 8 talls - we'll likely go with 7: Max, Grundy, May, Petty, Lever, Brown, TMac

Maybe they'll go with Darcy back and Bruce as sub to even things up and get a bit of insurance at the same time?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, old55 said:

Ruck: English
Tall Defenders: Jones, Keath, Bruce?
Tall Forwards: Naughton, Lobb, JUH, Darcy?

That's 8 talls - we'll likely go with 7: Max, Grundy, May, Petty, Lever, Brown, TMac

Maybe they'll go with Darcy back and Bruce as sub to even things up and get a bit of insurance at the same time?

Last year struggled against fast ball use prior to getting set up in defence and small/mid sized forwards hurt us. We’re better suited defending tall forwards, so feel pretty good about Dogs with no weightman

What a difference a week makes!

March 7th…

695EA0BE-A1B7-4F4C-A296-E0DA5D9FCEDE.thumb.jpeg.9e45b3b4c757f45a0c6abf689968df5b.jpeg

March 14th…

16617F4F-1503-40A0-89B1-CB2F89486700.thumb.jpeg.329f549e22a80ce51970aa61401d3c9d.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Shocked 3

I know this guy has had his issues along the way, but he’s a Demon now with a fresh start & I’ll be judging him based on what he does as a Demon. 

He’ll be up there with the best recruits of the season, if not the best. I have know doubt.

& for a guy that you barely hear from in the media - I’d like to hear from him more often. 

A good listen.

Lachie Hunter on SEN 14.03.23

https://www.sen.com.au/programs/sportsday/

Edited by RedLegs23
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

What a difference a week makes!

March 7th…

695EA0BE-A1B7-4F4C-A296-E0DA5D9FCEDE.thumb.jpeg.9e45b3b4c757f45a0c6abf689968df5b.jpeg

March 14th…

16617F4F-1503-40A0-89B1-CB2F89486700.thumb.jpeg.329f549e22a80ce51970aa61401d3c9d.jpeg

They run the infra red/grow lights all night as well.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

They run the infra red/grow lights all night as well.

My pics don’t do it justice. It looks amazing. But whether it’s gonna be ready to play on is another thing entirely. I’m glad a couple of other games will be played on it before ours. 

• Like 2

Just now, WalkingCivilWar said:

My pics don’t do it justice. It looks amazing. But whether it’s gonna be ready to play on is another thing entirely. I’m glad a couple of other games will be played on it before ours. 

I'd prefer to be first out, less chance of it already being shifted and loose.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, layzie said:

Seriously though, what are you doing there every Tuesday?

I got lost again. What can I say? Curse my terrible sense of direction! 

see you next Tuesday

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Don’t forget the Marks taken by these two in last quarters when their opponents are fatigued from Rucking all day

Both Max and Reg need to work on goal kicking to maximize any advantage 

I find it amazing that none of the Media have mentioned this. Having 2 Gun Ruckman who can go forward all match will be a nightmare for opponents. In terms of fatigue, this could smash sides. 
Yes, both of them need work on Goal kicking, but it’s tweaking. 
the Last Quarters will be fascinating.

Two Big Giraffes who have shared the load, should be quite fresh. 
Marking up forward or helping in defense…

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 1