Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 23 vs Brisbane

Demonland

12 hours ago, Older demon said:

ANB was doubled over off the ball and I want to know who punched him in the guts. Surely there will be camera vision somewhere of the sniper attack.

Surely there will be, but ch 7 haven’t signalled Christian to review it so he won’t even look 😡🤬

Hopefully now the football world as a whole can collectively get over the Brisbane Lions. 

Would of loved to have heard Fagan’s address to his players post match, not sure what you would say after a loss like that. They’ll end up with a home final week one but ultimately the players know they can’t win the premiership.

Edited by Bombay Airconditioning

12 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

I think you'll find them licking their wounds in the same room as the "Melksham only gets a game because he's Goody's best mate" crowd.

Are they also hanging out with the “Fritsch is selfish and should be dropped” crew?

• Like 4

Max played a very valuable part in last night's win

We played him in a proper forward's role and Max competed exceptionally well with a lot of grunt work involved. As well as  attaining 26 hitouts (often in the same forward line)

Brown looked a bit freed up as a consequence.  Led into space created by Gawn (on occasions)

Gawn played in the corridor often 50m - 75m out from goal and there was lots of front & centre activity on the back of his endless efforts

Our forward line as a whole functioned really well as a result.  Many of our shots at goal were from the hot spot area

Edited by Macca
  • Like 5

I'd like to apologise to the selection committee for questioning the Harmes inclusion. I hate admitting that I'm wrong because it rarely happens..

Whilst he didn't stand-out and he wasn't on Neale all game, he seemed to be a better choice than Jordan who has only just been going. 

Edited by JimmyGadson
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Are they also hanging out with the “Fritsch is selfish and should be dropped” crew?

Yeah just on that, our team was anything but selfish last night. I honestly felt like we chose the best option every single time. Crazy how it all just cane together.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hatchman said:

Part of me wonders if a lot of the games we were playing in the second half of the season were using tactics that were deliberately designed to get other teams to change their analysis of the way we play and spend energy adjusting for that so that we will change tactics in the finals series and catch them off guard. 

We played differently last night, and I do concede part of that is due to the fact the Brisbane were so bad. But it still seemed different. 

I am a lot more confident in our chances of getting to the GF. Last night a lot of things just seemed to "click"

There no doubt about that.

In another thread i posted the following in a thread during the week in relation to the criticism of us being too predictable with our kicks into the the pocket coming inside 50:

It is worth noting there was a very similar discussion on DL heading into the finals last season.

Come the prelim and GF we def went a bit more central with our inside 50 kicks and so moved the risk reward dial towards risk a bit more.  

That is one of the advantages of predictability.

When coming up against us, opposition teams make tweaks to their structures, systems and tactics to counter what we do. If we do the same things all the time they respond accordingly, meaning if we suddenly become unpredictable we can catch them out.

As an example, in the GF we got a jump on the dogs, party because we did something a bit different with our inside 50 entries. The dogs suddenly had to organize their defensive structure a bit differently to counter that change.

A more recent, and even better, example is how we set up and implemented the set play that resulted in Kozzie's match winning goal.

The blues fully expected that we would go down the line with any attacking foray in those last 2 minutes, and set up accordingly. They also put offensive players in down the line spots on their side of centre.

We obviously knew they would do so and designed a set up that looked to create an outnumber in the corridor. 

And so, when Lever didn't even hesitate to go around his body and kicked laterally inboard to the corridor, no doubt much to Voss's shock, we incredibly had a 3 to 1 out number (by the by that kick also highlights the risks involved in being more aggressive in terms of ball movement - we turn that ball over then and the game is over as if we have a 3 to one outnumber in the corridor they had two free players somewhere - one of which being may's opponent McKay). 

There was another element in that play where we used our predictability to our advantage. By being unpredictable.

Normally Hunt would kick that ball into one of the pockets as per our normal, predictable method.

Instead he kicked to a spot 20 metres out directly in front of goal, where it was all one on ones - something Voss would be furious about - as their extras were probably protecting the space near the boundary on the members side (players who would have been stationed there expecting Lever was going to kick it towards them).

I heard Bartel say he has no doubt that kick by hunt and the preceding one by Lever was a set play drawn up during the week by the coaching staff, noting that it was too far out for the blues to hit through for a point.   

Those sort of tweaks and taking advantage of suddenly being unpredictable are best left for the finals where they can have maximum impact, not least because opposition coaches suddenly have tactically respond on the fly.

The same is true for tactics we might employ to negate, and/or respond to, strategies teams have tried against us during the home and way season.

That's to say there is an advantage when goody doesn't respond during the home and away season in that he gets a look at what the other coach might try and in a big final with out showing his hand. An example is the way Geelong looked to take advantage of our kick in to Maxy by having big bodied players like Blicavs front and center at those aerial contests. 

Goody got criticised for not responding, but if we play the cats in the finals we know Scott might employ that same strategy, and have months to plan and train a response, yet he is only guessing what that response might be.

For example, we might suddenly occasional start going short to the pocket (we have been experimenting a bit with in some recent games), and then do what the lions look to do - go long from there so the aerial contest is up near the wing, with perhaps BB and Fritter pushing up ie go over the top of Gawn and the Cats players looking to win the grounds ball. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

I'd like to apologise to the selection committee for questioning the Harmes inclusion. I hate admitting that I'm wrong because it rarely happens..

Whilst he didn't stand-out and he wasn't on Neale all game, he seemed to be a better choice than Jordan who has only just been going. 

When it comes to footy, or just life in general? 

4 hours ago, Hatchman said:

Part of me wonders if a lot of the games we were playing in the second half of the season were using tactics that were deliberately designed to get other teams to change their analysis of the way we play and spend energy adjusting for that so that we will change tactics in the finals series and catch them off guard. 

We played differently last night, and I do concede part of that is due to the fact the Brisbane were so bad. But it still seemed different. 

I am a lot more confident in our chances of getting to the GF. Last night a lot of things just seemed to "click"

Wouldn't be surprised at all. Who would have thought guys paid to do this job could come up with this?

Binman said a few weeks ago that we took Collingwood by surprise with the way we came out in that game and in all seriousness had we nailed some more of our chances then that game could easily have gone the way of this one as well. I think there is something to all of this, which is why I have just the slightest reservations on Geelong at the moment, I feel they haven't just shown their hand but they've had a flush and the whole table knows about it.

Brisbane were not great but we never allowed them to be at all. Those things that we always complain about when we lose like not closing down the corridor, not allowing the switch? It gets easy to overlook those efforts in a win but this is precisely what happened. Every time they looked inboard they were stuffed, every time they wanted to move quick from the back they couldn't. All exits were completely closed off. It reminded me a bit of, well, any game we played like this last season but the game that came to mind first was the Dogs one on Fri night at Marvel. The ground felt very small for the Lions. 

Chris Fagan sounded like they had done some serious homework on our gameplan and how we approach Neale in his pre game interview, he sounded very confident. Poor bloke had no idea what was coming next and yet again was outclassed.

It has been so refreshing supporting a club that coaching wise is one step ahead of the opposition. Goody's matchday coaching be be questionable at times but his through the week and preparation I feel is top notch.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Seraph said:

Rivers finally fit and confident in his knee is massive

His sidestep and agility is huge at half back

And he hits targets. Love him.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Oh, a sightly surreal moment just then. Standing at the lights in the Brisbane CBD and something comes whizzing down the hill and across in front of me. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Tom McDonald on an electric scooter! As long as he doesn't fall off and hurt his knee ...😲

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Shocked 1

33 minutes ago, Macca said:

Max played a very valuable part in last night's win

We played him in a proper forward's role and Max competed exceptionally well with a lot of grunt work involved. As well as  attaining 26 hitouts (often in the same forward line)

Brown looked a bit freed up as a consequence.  Led into space created by Gawn (on occasions)

Gawn played in the corridor often 50m - 75m out from goal and there was lots of front & centre activity on the back of his endless efforts

Our forward line as a whole functioned really well as a result.  Many of our shots at goal were from the hot spot area

How often has Brown been able to actually lead to the ball carrier like that? If we get that happening enough there will be no issues with him getting more looks at goal.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, loges said:

Of course it was a good night but a bit of the gloss will come off if Sydney edge past us on percentage. Last game of 2017 anyone.

#veilofnegativitythread

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flower Magic said:

Oh, a sightly surreal moment just then. Standing at the lights in the Brisbane CBD and something comes whizzing down the hill and across in front of me. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Tom McDonald on an electric scooter! As long as he doesn't fall off and hurt his knee ...😲

Memo to club. Please give Tom some cab charge vouchers

• Haha 5
  • Facepalm 1

42 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Fair go Mr Gadson

Harmesy played a cracking game last night. 
Worked his [censored] off

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There’s is no doubting that Goody hasn’t showed his hand all year as it’s all about being at our best come finals time.

Id say he still has a few tricks up his sleeve, to throw off and bamboozle the opposition in what’s to come.

We look fit and fresh too, so the loadings mid year look like they are bearing fruit right now when it really counts.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Yeah just on that, our team was anything but selfish last night. I honestly felt like we chose the best option every single time. Crazy how it all just cane together.

Notably one where Petracca gave off to Fritsch going to the right of screen - against Brisbane too! It's all come round full circle.

• Love 1

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Notably one where Petracca gave off to Fritsch going to the right of screen - against Brisbane too! It's all come round full circle.

I loved that goal! Since the Grand Final whenever Trac gets it goalside with a tight angle you just know something is going to happen and rather than blaze he had the quick vision to pick Fritta out. Gun.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, JimmyGadson said:

Wasnt Brayshaw on Neale most of the night?

• Like 3

Just a few extra observations from the game.

Third qrt umpiring was very poor compared to a good standard most of the game.

Zorkos headlock on Langers was a a 50 m penalty every day the week. Zorko just annoyed he got tackled.

Langers is getting back to his best.

So is Rivers who was so cool under pressure.

Tracca has not been bad but he played to a standard last night like we know he can.

Bbb was bbb of last year. Clunking marks and kicking goals.....also moving down the ground and creating a comp or target. 

The inside 50 differential was minimal which shows are backline is back to its best with May and Lever doing what they do best.

Lever's goal was a ripper and first with the club I believe.

But also our fwd line was firing. Fritta and Kozzie have a great intrinsic sense of where the goals are.

Oliver has got to be a favourite for the Brownlow. 

Viney has been working hard this year and Gus was OK last night but has been our most improved player this season by a mile.

Jackson is so mobile for his size.

Milk moving so well... has given himself at least another year or 2 at the club and I was dead wrong at howling down his constant selection

Sparrow was good and is one tough player for his age.

Hibberd on Cameron was the best call and reminded me how he makes some stars like Dustin Martin look third rate. Such an underestimated player and his early absence with so many other defenders in the season plus others later on has made it tough for our defence to be settled.

Tmac back for finals could be a big inclusion if he plays his best.

Harmes back in made a huge difference. 

Lions fans are poor losers.....constant booing of Dees players taking great marks and then lining up to kick a goal.

Brown the commentator...Mr tough guy...no better having a dig at Petty being emotional. 

He was sitting bw Lyon and Roo who we all know both teared up after bad injuries.

Our win was a statement ..    we are going to go forward just as hard and good and win a flag on our home ground.

Back to back lads. You can back it in.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 4