• Podcast:      

• Podcast:      

CHANGES: Rd 17 vs Geelong

Can't see us leaving Ben Brown without much help given his form for most of the year. Think one of Mitch Brown or Weideman stays and given Mitch has played more as the 'pure' forward lately would think he'd get the nod. Will be interesting though as I feel Weid provides better forward pressure while Mitch seems to just bob up for his 1 or 2 'easy' goals then disappear the rest of the game. Tough call.

IN: Gawn, Jackson

OUT: Weideman, Bedford

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BDA said:

I would prefer if we persevere with Toby Bedford. He has shown enough to be given a run of games. The Weid has had plenty of chances. He played his role last week so i'm not bashing him but Toby deserves a fair go as well

Agree it was good having him & kozzie running around the forward line

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, forever demons said:

As long as it takes.It took Hawkins until he was about 26/27 to really start performing ,I think that is why he is playing into his 30s

Wrong.

Hawkins was 23 years of age when he kicked 62 goals in a season back in 2012.

This was backing up from a near BOG performance the year before in the grand final at 22 years of age.

Even in his 3rd year at AFL level Hawkins still kicked 34 goals in 2009

Hawkins was far more advanced into his career then what what Weid is at similar age.

I also think the comparison to Hawkins is a bit strange considering Hawkins was far more physically developed. 

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

Heading up to Bright today. Anyone know if the game will be on FTA up there? Or is a pub needed?

cheers

Skiing Dub ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, demoncat said:

I don’t disagree that in terms of scoreboard impact that M Brown could have as much impact as Weid, but I don’t think M Brown can offer the same physical presence in marking contents either down the line or in the forward 50. Kicking to contests is clearly a strategy that we are committed to, and I think Weid is better able to impact this area than M Brown.

All that said I do like M Brown and you could argue that he is a “better” footballer than Weid, but I think their roles in the team are different. 

Weid physical presence hmmmm

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, forever demons said:

As long as it takes.It took Hawkins until he was about 26/27 to really start performing ,I think that is why he is playing into his 30s

Good luck, Hawkins has a very competitive attitude Weid doesn't

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Can't see us leaving Ben Brown without much help given his form for most of the year. Think one of Mitch Brown or Weideman stays and given Mitch has played more as the 'pure' forward lately would think he'd get the nod. Will be interesting though as I feel Weid provides better forward pressure while Mitch seems to just bob up for his 1 or 2 'easy' goals then disappear the rest of the game. Tough call.

IN: Gawn, Jackson

OUT: Weideman, Bedford

I can't see Weid going out, with Brown staying in.

Weid is the one we are trying to improve.

Being wet, I am pretty sure Toby is safe.

Maybe Weid as sub.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, loges said:

The areas Weid needs improvement in are attack on the contest/ball and self belief/confidence.

Improve those two facets of his game and he will be ok, if not his AFL career may just peter out.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, picket fence said:

If Weeds gets a game instead of Mitch Brown I'll spew up!

Over the fence, Picket?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I can't see Weid going out, with Brown staying in.

Weid is the one we are trying to improve.

Being wet, I am pretty sure Toby is safe.

Maybe Weid as sub.

Personally I'd leave in Weid ahead of Brown, but I just have a feeling role wise they may favour Mitch Brown given it will be purely a forward role rather than a forward/ruck role.

Not sure it's going to be 'wet'. Forecast I saw was for possible showers in the morning.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Skiing Dub ?

Kids haven’t seen snow before so reckon it’ll be a play around in the snow for us. Then plenty of time at the Brewery!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Steve said:

This might be the first game this season where we do not start as favorites.

Both 1.90 at the moment, but you're right they could well start favourite.

Which says something about the home game advantage they get playing at  Kardinia park.

We have beaten them the last four times we have played them, including a win down there.  

With Jackson and Gawn both confirmed ins, we are only missing TMac from our best 22.

Whereas they are missing arguably their most important player in Stewart, an out that is compounded by Kolodjashnij also being a likely out.

We would be something like 1.60 favorites for this game if it were at the MCG (for context we were 1.60 against the lions, despite coming off 3 losses and them being on top of the ladder). 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Redleg said:

The areas Weid needs improvement in are attack on the contest/ball and self belief/confidence.

Improve those two facets of his game and he will be ok, if not his AFL career may just peter out.

But surely he's had way long enough.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Steve said:

This might be the first game this season where we do not start as favorites.

Been keeping an eye on the markets, we opened favs. We got out to $2 on Monday with Bet365 for a brief moment and now $1.87. 

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Wrong.

This was backing up from a near BOG performance the year before in the grand final at 22 years of age.

Hawkins was far more advanced into his career then what what Weid is at similar age.

I also think the comparison to Hawkins is a bit strange considering Hawkins was far more physically developed. 

Absolutely. Hawkins “Breakout” was the 2011 GF He was instrumental in getting Jeelong back into the game…

• Like 1

Hearing that May might be wearing a helmet to play on Hawkins. Too many stray elbows in the past....

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Wrong.

umm 34 goals in 2009 is not that good for a key forward,weid has not had the chance to play or opportunity to play the same amount of games,big players take time to muture some at different stages of their lives.Hawkins got to play in a team that could afford the time to let  him mature and grow

4 hours ago, loges said:

how do you know that,weid seems to me to be very competitive.Guess you think useing your elbows to maim so one is being very competitive

• Facepalm 2

5 minutes ago, forever demons said:

umm 34 goals in 2009 is not that good for a key forward,weid has not had the chance to play or opportunity to play the same amount of games,big players take time to muture some at different stages of their lives.Hawkins got to play in a team that could afford the time to let  him mature and grow

What are you on about?

34 goals for a 19 year old in his 2nd year of AFL level is an fantastic achievement. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Take off your red and blue glasses off for goodness sake. The Weideman comparison is laughable to begin with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, forever demons said:

how do you know that,weid seems to me to be very competitive.Guess you think useing your elbows to maim so one is being very competitive

My god this comment is so broken..