The New TV and Media Broadcast Deal

Diamond_Jim

7 hours ago, Skuit said:

I can't be bothered researching it or reading charters and the like, but the AFL (or/and AFL Commission) as I understand it has dual roles in administering the premier national footballing competition and the other as 'custodians' of a game - one which is of significant and unique cultural heritage.

I find it unconscionable that the country's premier national competition is not freely accessible to all Australians, and that underprivileged citizens can't always watch their favourite team free-to-air. In the long run, that becomes detrimental to the growth of the sport. Smart minds should be thinking long and hard about how to strike the right balance, rather than just concentrating on a growth-through-cash model.

The AFLPA also has to be aware that the more that money gets diverted from grass-roots investment, the more likely the quality of the competition will decline, and so less money coming into football over the long run and then less money for its future members. I feel like there needs to be some body established which sits above both, with responsibility alone for protecting the interests of the sport itself and all of its stakeholders. 

This post probably needs some colouring in. I spent some time on Groote Eylandt last year. The traditional owners weren't allowed into the local club which played the footy, and most didn't have a reliable terrestrial TV connection let alone Kayo or what-not. It was a clear example of Australian kids not being exposed to the game, and it will come to bite the sport. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I can't wait. 

Hopefully they can do it properly like in the USA.  I can watch whatever stream of baseball I want with whatever audio I want. 

Cannot wait for the day that I can watch the footy stream with ABC radio or suchlike.

We are years behind

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ucanchoose said:

I can't wait. 

Hopefully they can do it properly like in the USA.  I can watch whatever stream of baseball I want with whatever audio I want. 

Cannot wait for the day that I can watch the footy stream with ABC radio or suchlike.

We are years behind

We are moving away from the MLB Network/NBA League Pass with the AFL app no longer streaming games as they did a few years ago. 

And this would be the vehicle for what you are describing - broadcast aggregation and choice.

Were not getting that. That would be a dilution of the market and evidently something that the AFL doesn’t want to fight for.

Edited by rpfc

I can definitely see the AFL selling off the Thurs or Fri to one service and maybe the rest on another. Why would they make it easy for customer? No one else does. I've had to get the free Stan trial just to watch the last month of the Champions League. Football codes are king in TV deals and this one will go down that path.

9 hours ago, layzie said:

I can definitely see the AFL selling off the Thurs or Fri to one service and maybe the rest on another. Why would they make it easy for customer? No one else does. I've had to get the free Stan trial just to watch the last month of the Champions League. Football codes are king in TV deals and this one will go down that path.

If that's the case I'll just choose the one Melbourne appears the most on and couple up with free to air. Won't be paying for 2.

I have a young family so we already have about 6 streaming services 🤦🏽‍♂️, what's another couple. I actually don't have FTA hooked up, every grand final day is a mad scramble to find a cord

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ucanchoose said:

I can't wait. 

We are years behind

I've got a close mate who loves the NBA and when I saw the capabilities of his subscription I immediately said why aren't the AFL doing this

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Josh said:

I have a young family so we already have about 6 streaming services 🤦🏽‍♂️, what's another couple. I actually don't have FTA hooked up, every grand final day is a mad scramble to find a cord

et tu, brutus?

20 year old bunny ears from tandy are a godsend

that or an illegal stream in 4k...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

I've got a close mate who loves the NBA and when I saw the capabilities of his subscription I immediately said why aren't the AFL doing this

NBA Pass is so great! You can pay only for one team's fixture ( I used to follow the Thunder). I am originally from Mexico and could watch the games with the feed from ESPN Mexico in Spanish!!.

They had at least 6 or 7 different feed options from across the globe plus the local feed from OKC.

I don't think AFL can do it though.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

NBA Pass is so great! You can pay only for one team's fixture ( I used to follow the Thunder). I am originally from Mexico and could watch the games with the feed from ESPN Mexico in Spanish!!.

They had at least 6 or 7 different feed options from across the globe plus the local feed from OKC.

I don't think AFL can do it though.

Plenty of Mexicans in Victoria but if NSW wants to build a wall, we won't be paying for it!

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, Josh said:

Can't you stream it on 7 plus?

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Maybe 🤔

I'm in NSW , it was my get out option when I remembered Kayo don't do the Grand Final. For some reason we can't get FTA channels via antenna. To stream it though you need Telstra box or something similar.

I see Gil and the AFL chairman are off to the states for discussions on the new rights deal. Who are they seeing? could it be a new option. Perhaps Channel ten and their owners CBS. or ESPN?

Interesting I don't every remember them doing similar when doing the past deals.

Hopefully there's someone who knows more about this area but when streaming services acquire the rights to something are there any rules or guidelines that say the product (Whether it’s sport or tv shows) needs to be acquired as a whole or at least a majority of it? Or is this pretty much up to the rights holders doing as they please?

To give an example of what I’m asking, most shows on the streaming services are available with all their seasons and tied to that one platform. However, I’ve noticed with a show like South Park you have the first few seasons on Netflix, the majority of the seasons on Amazon Prime and then every season Post-2020 on Paramount +. Is there anything preventing these guys from carving up the product and giving pieces of it to various services like this thus making it infuriating for the customers like us? Or could it all just become one big dirty free for all?

Edited by layzie

22 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I understand streaming is the way of the future but it would be disappointing if Fox Footy no longer had the rights to show every single home and away game live under the next deal, and one had to pay for an additional service to watch Thursday night footy.

Whatever returns the most money is the AFL mantra. They are not concerned about who has the rights and what they do, we run a bad last BBP.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, layzie said:

Hopefully there's someone who knows more about this area but when streaming services acquire the rights to something are there any rules or guidelines that say the product (Whether it’s sport or tv shows) needs to be acquired as a whole or at least a majority of it? Or is this pretty much up to the rights holders doing as they please?

To give an example of what I’m asking, most shows on the streaming services are available with all their seasons and tied to that one platform. However, I’ve noticed with a show like South Park you have the first few seasons on Netflix, the majority of the seasons on Amazon Prime and then every season Post-2020 on Paramount +. Is there anything preventing these guys from carving up the product and giving pieces of it to various services like this thus making it infuriating for the customers like us? Or could it all just become one big dirty free for all?

Nothing, in my view $ are what counts. Look at the NFL is the US. It is on various networks with some having sunday games and other monday night etc.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, layzie said:

i'll put my money on a big dirty free for all

afl will go for the $$$s regardless

• Like 2

Australia is one of the few countries in the world to have anti siphoning rules but they are a bit of a dog's breakfast and are up for review in April 2023.

The glaring loophole is that while the rules manage competition between cable (Foxtel) and FTA, streaming services being digital are outside the rules.

Also cricket showed that if an industry asks the Govt will change the rules... ODI's involving the national team were on the list but are now wholly behind a paywall.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, old dee said:

I see Gil and the AFL chairman are off to the states for discussions on the new rights deal. Who are they seeing? could it be a new option. Perhaps Channel ten and their owners CBS. or ESPN?

Interesting I don't every remember them doing similar when doing the past deals.

I recall they had a chat with the likes of Amazon but they went nowhere.

Personally I don't think they'll get far as the viewer market is just too small for the mega players. The competition will come from Stan and Optus

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daisycutter said:

i'll put my money on a big dirty free for all

afl will go for the $$$s regardless

Footy at risk of selling its soul. What’s left of it. We think it’s bad enough now with rule changes and TV friendly fixtures. The more dough the AFL heavyweights can extract from the streaming services the more influence and power will reside with the streaming services and the AFL will be a patsy. Beware the devil is dressed up nice suits and ties and/or pretty dresses. 

The entertainment industry is upon us. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I recall they had a chat with the likes of Amazon but they went nowhere.

Personally I don't think they'll get far as the viewer market is just too small for the mega players. The competition will come from Stan and Optus

It seems to me that Channel 7's owner might be in a difficult position. Both 9 and 10 are owned by companies that also own a subscription streaming service (9's parent owns Stan; 10's parent owns Paramount+). However, 7's parent, as far as I know doesn't own a subscription streaming service. Seven could still do a deal with Foxtel, but the natural synergy of 9/Stan and 10/Paramount+ seem like options that can make the AFL a better offer.

25 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

It seems to me that Channel 7's owner might be in a difficult position. Both 9 and 10 are owned by companies that also own a subscription streaming service (9's parent owns Stan; 10's parent owns Paramount+). However, 7's parent, as far as I know doesn't own a subscription streaming service. Seven could still do a deal with Foxtel, but the natural synergy of 9/Stan and 10/Paramount+ seem like options that can make the AFL a better offer.

7 and foxtel / kayo are in a fight at the moment regarding the commentary - ch 7 team are going 'silent' after goals so that they foxtel / kayo watchers don't get 'extra' commentary outside what ch 7 viewers receive

i love that 5 afl execs have jetted off to meet with international streamers; they literally did this five years ago and then...re-upped with stokes and murdoch

can't see it being any different after 2024