If Neale goes at the end of the year?

brentnall

Leigh Matthews would be perfect but why would he leave Brisbane? Especially to coach our rabble.

I'm not so sure why everyone is anti-voss. He has some coaching experience with the AIS, plus he would have learned plenty with Matthews.

As captain, Voss would have been involved in team selection, midfield rotations and I'm sure would have had plenty of influence on the Lions when they won three straight.

Don't forget Sheedy went straight from playing to coaching and he has been more successful then anyone else.

Sure experience is good to have, but why let the best man for the job (in my opinion) go just because it is one or two years early?

I'd take Voss anyday.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Voss seems too nice, Melbourne coaches have always been too nice, Northey was good because he really got stuck into them, they need someone tough who will not tolerate mediocre performances. No-one comes to mind but lets hope the team can pick itself up and do well enough to make this speculation unnecessary.

Michael Voss seems too nice

*spew*

As a player, Michael Voss was as tough, uncompromising and intimidating as they came, without ever needing to resort to thuggery. I have no doubt as a coach that he is capable of the same if necessary.

By the way I reckon Paul Roos seems like a very nice guy too. His track record speaks for itself. There's more to coaching than just being able to go ape at your players.

Players have said Voss was the biggest sledger on field. Off field, nice bloke but when the siren went, he didnt care who he cleaned up.

Voss and Martin Pike are my picks. Leigh Mathews i would be happy paying the bloke 1 million as he would be the best coach to have in terms of developing a young team, but he will never leave brissy. He has a contract there for behond this year as well.

how does anyone know what Voss is capable of as a coach... he's done Zilch !!

Do not understand why anyone is putting him on any wish list...

otherwise Im all for Santa Claus...... after all he knows who's been naughty and maybe he can hold back presents as a method ot team discipline !!!

how about we stick to real candidates !!

Lyon needs to be made an offer he can't refuse - seriously.

Then build the right Assitants Team with experience, maybe Parkin would welcome a new challenge as 2 in C/mentor for a fixed term of say 2 seasons.

Bring back Viney as an Asst. maybe.

We could brainstorm this into a real option.

That's the model.

Brilliant for marketing, probably brutal enough, defintely smart enough.

what are Lyon's real credentials....beyond being a favourite son? What has he really done in coaching ? cut al the sentimental cr@p , what has he PROVEN ?

what are Lyon's real credentials....beyond being a favourite son? What has he really done in coaching ? cut al the sentimental cr@p , what has he PROVEN ?

Real credentials for coaching - none, but he hates losing. Thats' good enough.

Lets look at proven coaches available - i.e. ones that have won a Premiership. Others don't interest me.

Current Unavailable - Roos, Worsfold, Matthews, Malthouse, Williams - Forget them (contracted)

Maybe Available - Pagan (no thanks), Sheedy(unlikely),

Too Old/Not interested - Blight, Allan Jeans, David Parkin,

That leaves Wallsy.

Any other ideas gratefully received.

most likely candidate to come from current AFL assistant circles. But there are other leagues. :-)

but if we were to be biased to wards ex Dees..

Brett Lovett.. given he has no affiliated teamlists to play with.. he has rebuilt the Dolphins and given them backbone. He doesnt take sh!t. I'd interview him

edit :

I'd also look at Williams...he has knowlwdge of our list.. an inside knowledge for sure.. but couldnt see Sandy handing him up

:blink::blink:

Would it be worth giving Gary Ayres another run? What about Mick McGuane?

:blink: gary Ayres did nothing for geelong but run them into the ground.

at the crows he did crap one year on after him with the same list they made the finals .

and have not missed one since.

Mick McGuane ? hes fat and out of shape but then again so is Mathews so maybe he could be a go ?

Guest dee'viator
*spew*

As a player, Michael Voss was as tough, uncompromising and intimidating as they came, without ever needing to resort to thuggery. I have no doubt as a coach that he is capable of the same if necessary.

By the way I reckon Paul Roos seems like a very nice guy too. His track record speaks for itself. There's more to coaching than just being able to go ape at your players.

They're all nice this side of the white line, the thing that all these coaches had in common as player's was an absolute hard headed NEVER! say die attitude and absolutely take no prisoners out on the field of battle. & some were also physically rugged, intimidating & some (dirty) as well. It goes without saying that they were all top leaders & popular amongst their teamates.

Guus Hidink would be good. :D

Only MFC related people worth considering are : Mark Williams (Sandy) for obvious reasons, Brett Lovett ( as noted proving very good coach at VFL level and possibly Todd Viney (depending on what his role at Hawthorn is).

MFC can not afford an unsuccessful coaching appointment or experiment with untried person. we have been in the winlderness far too long and MUST grasp the opporunity which the good young list we have provides!

If Leigh Matthews is EVER appointed coach of Demons I and my family will cease with MFC!! Matthews cowardly king hits against our players disqualified him forever.

If Blight was appointed we should expect AFL to take MFC over (as well as Kangaroos)! Would be financially irresponsible.