CHANGES: Rd 04 vs Port Adelaide

Demonland

59 minutes ago, Redleg said:

While not exactly the same type as Hibberd, Smith, who is playing well atm, is 6 years younger and 5 cms taller, with a bigger leap, is a better mark and probably just as quick.So do you keep putting the games into Smith, or bring Hibberd back. I would stick with Smith.

So would I. Smith is gaining confidence and is, for all the reasons you have suggested a better option going forward, IMO

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BDA said:

TMac form is down and has been for a while

But the Weid has played 1 good game

TMac has some runs on the board (though not recent). We might be jumping the gun a little here 

BB might not be sharp after a week in iso so I think Goody will go with TMac and the Weid again on thursday.

If the Weid performs again then TMac gets dropped for the GWS game replaced by BB.

There's no guarantee the Weid will perform though. 1 good game isn't enough to displace TMac yet

The point isn't that Wiedeman has only played one good game. He's currently in the side and kicked 4.3 (probably should have been 5.2 as he missed 2 easy shots and kicked one difficult one last week). It's a totally different argument if TMac and BBB played against Essendon and TMac played poorly, but where we are at right now is that TMac & Weideman are both in the side. I don't know how you can drop Weideman and keep an out-of-form TMac in the side without sending the wrong message.

4 hours ago, Robbie57 said:

Watching from an armchair in another state probably dis-entitles me to contribute in an informed way. I have no idea what goes on off the ball except for Langers who pops up at either end of the field faster than the ball. However what is obvious is we are not playing at a level the coaches will think is satisfactory (due to our makeshift backline) and our ugly wins in the past two weeks cant continue if we really want to contend. Tmac is down but what is he being asked to do? I doubt we need his height down back. Lever in will steady May who is struggling without him. 

Port will be dangerous and GWS the following week a handful.  It will be a tough couple of weeks for the selectors. 

I think you are totally underselling our form. The wins against GC & Essendon were both meritorious. Both opponents played well against us. Yes, if you look at the way Essendon played against Geelong or the way GC played against GWS you would say we should have thrashed both but it doesn't work that way. We are missing key players and are definitely not in peak form but have won by a combined 68 points (would have been closer to 100 if we had kicked remotely straight). If you'd asked me at the start of the season whether I'd take these results I would have said yes in a heartbeat. Are we playing premiership-level football? No. Are we playing at a level the coaches will think is satisfactory? Definitely, but of course there's room for improvement.

• Like 2

Eventually Tommo and Hunt will all be pushed out once Petty, Lever, and Salem return. Smith retained as Gus is placed back on the wing and a lower string mid/HB like Riv, JJ or Sparrow etc. is dropped 

FB Petty May Smith

HB Bowey Lever Salem 

Smith is the most athletic of the bunch and gives us a lot of versatility to cover smalls, mid forwards and 3rd talls. Hibbo is probably better than Riv at this stage but both are quality depth for any future injuries at HB. Regardless, I doubt Riv will be dropped for Hibbo except for a forced change. 

• Like 1

Going to be a 3 cheese board night at the selection meeting this week and unlike earlier seasons the discussion will not center around selecting for the future and building but how do we fit in the best, in form players that are available.

Very different.

Some decisions to be faced..... Defence where we need to get Lever back into the team to rebuild the structure with May and add to the strengths back there and what to do with the forwards?

Personally I would drop Tomlinson and bring lever in. Smith has improved with each game this season and I liked his attack on the ball and confidence out of defence. Until Salem comes back I can see Brayshaw filling in there and rotating to the wing or middle as required. Rivers as the 7th defender. Bowey as the go-too distributer and the ever reliable Postman with his delivery. 

Midfield is the midfield and if they are all fit, leave them to do what they do. I find it interesting to watch the set-ups at stoppages and the variations we employ. The use of Petracca last week was interesting. With the tag he had he looked to me to be setting up more on the attacking side of the stoppages and not getting too involved in the close in grunt work. (small rant..... I hate the way that the director of the game telecasts delay the replay of the goal and minimise the view of the center bounce setup. one thing I enjoy is to see what the interaction is before the bounce.) At the opening bounce we sometimes see Kossie in there and I like that variation. as another variation I would have Max at ruck with Petracca, Oliver and Jackson at the opening bounce. Max tapping to Luke staying a bit wider with Petracca and Oliver running past.

Bloody Wied! Went and kicked 4 and is now a viable options in the forward 50. If Brown is available I think he has to be in the team that will mean that there is not room for both Wied and Tmac, Tmac to miss if that is the case. With Weid and brown in the forwards it will be interesting to see the roles they are given. coaches will need to be very clear in the way they want them to interact.

So, Lever and Brown in with Tomlinson and Tmac making way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

While not exactly the same type as Hibberd, Smith, who is playing well atm, is 6 years younger and 5 cms taller, with a bigger leap, is a better mark and probably just as quick.So do you keep putting the games into Smith, or bring Hibberd back. I would stick with Smith.

True, but on the other hand Hibberd gives better run off half back and is a better 1:1 defender imo. Also I’d take His kicking over Smith

tough call

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sydney_Demon said:

He'll play even if 70% fit. We can't afford to be clever with selections against a desperate Port side. There's a 9-day break after this match so he can rest then.

Wasn’t thinking about being clever. More looking after our star’s knee that has persistent swelling after games. The occasional missed game after short breaks might prolong his career.

I ain’t a doctor or nuthin though so, just a random unqualified thought

• Like 1

You can't dish the Weid after a win & a four goal game surely?

Just as you can't ignore BB's early season form either and the fact he was only left out against Essendrug for covid reasons,  nothing to do with form.

So on a form basis (and it's been more than just one week now) surely it has to be BB in for T-Mac!?  Not that i'm wishing for this as i hate to see a premiership player being dropped, but it seems the most logical outcome at this stage yes?

Having said that i also thought Mitch Brown would have gotten the nod before the Weid given his 7 goal haul at Casey the week prior to last.  Which goes to show i have KFI

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DubDee said:

Wasn’t thinking about being clever. More looking after our star’s knee that has persistent swelling after games. The occasional missed game after short breaks might prolong his career.

Doesn’t take a doctor to work out it’s not a good thing. I wonder how often it needs to be drained and jabbed. 

He was clearly hampered on Thu night. No need to risk him if he ain’t right

I'm a little peeved it's another interstate game with another six day break.

Do they pull these draws out of their....?

Edited by leave it to deever

12 hours ago, CHF said:

Going to be a 3 cheese board night at the selection meeting this week and unlike earlier seasons the discussion will not center around selecting for the future and building but how do we fit in the best, in form players that are available.

Very different.

Some decisions to be faced..... Defence where we need to get Lever back into the team to rebuild the structure with May and add to the strengths back there and what to do with the forwards?

Personally I would drop Tomlinson and bring lever in. Smith has improved with each game this season and I liked his attack on the ball and confidence out of defence. Until Salem comes back I can see Brayshaw filling in there and rotating to the wing or middle as required. Rivers as the 7th defender. Bowey as the go-too distributer and the ever reliable Postman with his delivery. 

Midfield is the midfield and if they are all fit, leave them to do what they do. I find it interesting to watch the set-ups at stoppages and the variations we employ. The use of Petracca last week was interesting. With the tag he had he looked to me to be setting up more on the attacking side of the stoppages and not getting too involved in the close in grunt work. (small rant..... I hate the way that the director of the game telecasts delay the replay of the goal and minimise the view of the center bounce setup. one thing I enjoy is to see what the interaction is before the bounce.) At the opening bounce we sometimes see Kossie in there and I like that variation. as another variation I would have Max at ruck with Petracca, Oliver and Jackson at the opening bounce. Max tapping to Luke staying a bit wider with Petracca and Oliver running past.

Bloody Wied! Went and kicked 4 and is now a viable options in the forward 50. If Brown is available I think he has to be in the team that will mean that there is not room for both Wied and Tmac, Tmac to miss if that is the case. With Weid and brown in the forwards it will be interesting to see the roles they are given. coaches will need to be very clear in the way they want them to interact.

As per mids what about that saints player we picked up for Jordan?

13 hours ago, CHF said:

Very different.

Look, I think you are part on the money except how can you not include BB , I agree , and then retain The Weed ? Frankly if I were a selector (and thank God I am not) I would bring BB back, retain The Weed and move T Mc to CHB to strengthen the second string back seven till Lever, Salen, Hibbo and Petty are available then re start our thinking then. Like, push the problem out till we have to make a really hard decision...lol 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 7:27 AM, Deemania since 56 said:

Fritta usually does his best work leading out laterally or to a frontal space. We cannot allow him to become static so it's heads up for the leading Fritta, for mine.

I think the return of the Weid will help Friita enormously. Clearly his form currently is at a very high level, and will take some of the attention off Frita.

48 minutes ago, David-Demon said:

Look, I think you are part on the money except how can you not include BB , I agree , and then retain The Weed ? Frankly if I were a selector (and thank God I am not) I would bring BB back, retain The Weed and move T Mc to CHB to strengthen the second string back seven till Lever, Salen, Hibbo and Petty are available then re start our thinking then. Like, push the problem out till we have to make a really hard decision...lol 

So, who are you suggesting be dropped for BBB? Tomlinson, or someone else?

And if Lever is back this week (which seems likely), who would be the second player to make way for him? 

I must say I find the notion that you wouldn't play someone who has done a full pre season, played the first 2 games, then misses 1 game but not injured, can train just not with the team for a week, mind boggling.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2022 at 11:10 PM, Billy said:

We played a tough game in really hard conditions 6 days ago and have most of our backline out, the players deserve a bit more credit 

We won by 5 goals

And tone fair most of the media have given that to us. No-one I’ve seen has turned on us - yet!

On 4/3/2022 at 5:32 PM, bing181 said:

For mine, Tomlinson has gone back to the "why did we trade for him?" player of a couple of seasons back, an almost player without any standout qualities. It's true he'd got it together at the beginning of last season, but he hasn't recaptured that form post-injury and doesn't seem to be improving either.

In fairness to him, we still don't have our first choice backline around him.  I'm sure he (and others) would look better with the likes of Salem and Lever around them.  He's still capable and probably will get better over the year (he's still coming back from a serious injury) but I think Petty has got him on almost every measure (except maybe endurance?) and Smith would be ahead due to the flexibility he offers (can play tall or small, has speed, strength etc)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Winners at last said:

So, who are you suggesting be dropped for BBB? Tomlinson, or someone else?

And if Lever is back this week (which seems likely), who would be the second player to make way for him? 

Sorry. I did leave that  out and my answer would be = Hunt who needs to get some dare back in his game. I still am a fan of no 29 but consider others ahead of him right now. Dunno who the second player would be but I just have a hunch that Goody will go as is.... and this selector will be ignored...lol

Edited by David-Demon

13 hours ago, DubDee said:

Sorry DubDee. I wasn't accusing you of trying to be clever, more the Club if they make that decision. I agree Petracca shouldn't be played if there's a risk that playing him will cause long-term issues. What I was trying to say is that assuming that isn't the  case then he should be played because this won't be an easy game and we can't afford to take Port easy. 

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

I'm a little peeved it's another interstate game with another six day break.

Do they pull these draws out of their....?

I pointed this out when the Draw was first released but was accused of being negative but here I go again.

The reality is Melbourne's breaks after Round 1 were/are 10 days (travelling to Gold Coast), 6 days (travelling back from the Gold Coast after playing in humid conditions: predictable before the Season started), 6 days (travelling to Adelaide), 9 days (travelling back from Adelaide). Compare this to Western Bulldogs who supposedly have a tougher draw due to who they're playing: 8 days, 7 days, 8 days, 6 days with every game in Melbourne. Now, maybe things even up later in the Season,  but I find it hard to accept there needed to be so much travel and that a 6-day turnaround gets scheduled off a trip to Queensland in late March. You could see that Melbourne (and even Gold Coast who played off a 7-day break) were flat last round which isn't surprising. Now we get to travel to Adelaide off back-to-back 6-day breaks. Contrast that with the opponents we play/played off 6-day breaks who were also off 6-day breaks but didn't have to travel. 

Now I don't want to whinge too much, after all the Interstate teams are travelling continuously and it must be incredibly difficult expecially for the  Western Australian teams, but as far as the Victorian teams are concerned I don't feel it needed to be this hard.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, loges said:

I must say I find the notion that you wouldn't play someone who has done a full pre season, played the first 2 games, then misses 1 game but not injured, can train just not with the team for a week, mind boggling.

I think that's some Dlanders over thinking everything.....

Wouldn't make an ounce of difference to how he will perform.

• Like 1