Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 01 vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

I realise it was the first game, but felt that Jordan was a little slow and sluggish tonight.. Although Bedford had a few fumbles early I reckon that if it was out of the two of them for next game I'd be tempted to go Bedford. So glad Toby finally got a chance - such a likeable young fella. I have no doubt that Jordan will be back to 2021 form, but looks a bit off at the moment.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Mickey said:

Was interesting to see a few different things in the middle. Nibbler in there a bit was interesting, especially when we have Harmes and Brayshaw in the wings.

Nibbler played a very, very good game.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I realise it was the first game, but felt that Jordan was a little slow and sluggish tonight.. Although Bedford had a few fumbles early I reckon that if it was out of the two of them for next game I'd be tempted to go Bedford. So glad Toby finally got a chance - such a likeable young fella. I have no doubt that Jordan will be back to 2021 form, but looks a bit off at the moment.

I am not sure the wing is JJ's jam. But understand he was there because Gus was playing defence. Poor Gus is just the 'plug a hole man'. Such a great team player.

1 minute ago, The Swimming Dee said:

Big credits to TMac for going back and doing well last night when the team was re-shuffled to cover Salem's loss. He did well and is such a great swingman. Our forward line is so impressive being able to cover his loss

Tmac was great defensively. Then he fluffed two kicks coming out of defence and I had immediate PTSD.

We were lucky to play a side with only one really good tall forward. We will struggle with Lever and Salem against potent forwardlines. 

Hunt destroying floppy Weightman was wonderful. I loath that kid.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

A very impressive win on a number of fronts.

They kicked 8 goals in something like 15 minutes. For the rest of the game they kicked 3 goals. We held them to just 16 scoring shots despite having five first choice defenders out, including losing Salem mid-game which forced TMac to be thrown into defence despite not training there for 3 years.

To do that against a side that is likely in 2022 to be a high scoring side is a testament to our structure and discipline.

The 8-goal run highlighted, though, that with this weakened backline in particular we are going to concede goals if our midfield is not on song. For much of that run Petracca was in the forward line. We just couldn't get our hands on the ball. In saying that, if we'd kicked straighter at the start the game could have been over before the Dogs got going.

Trac's game was phenomenal; no coincidence at all that when he was involved we were on top and when he wasn't involved we struggled more. Oliver was super but I thought ANB played one of his best ever games, his composure and field kicking are so much better now (pity he shanked his shot on goal late).

Brown appears to me to be more agile/mobile than last year which only serves to make him even more of a headache for opposition defenders. Should have kicked 5 but his presence, particularly noting TMac wasn't playing forward, was huge for us. I ought to mention Joel Smith too. IMO, his best ever game. 

When the injured players start to get fit, the pressure will come on Bedford, Jordon and Sparrow, all of whom struggled last night IMO. 

Some interesting new things I saw last night: ANB took more centre bounces than I think he did in 2021, and did anyone else notice that late in the fourth quarter we put Fritsch on a wing for the centre bounces for him to line up at the back of the square and then become a loose defender? I wonder what the thinking was there - maybe we're looking at options if Lever continues to miss games? Or just some further positional flexibility? I must say I'm not a fan of Fritsch as a defender so I don't necessarily think it's a great idea but I'm interested in it all the same.

Great post.

I couldn't go last night due to being in ISO.

I love the combination of watching a game live at the ground and then watching the replay. 

But just watching on TV gives such a one dimensional perspective on the game.

There are many reasons why that is the case, but a simple one is the ridiculous way the camera is so often really super narrowly focused and you often have no sense of what is happening up the ground or even on the peripheral of the contest.

Juts about the only exception, which sort of came about in 2020 with the reduced cameras at some grounds, is the angled down the ground shot when players are either kicking out after a point ('just look at how well Melbourne are set up ahead of the ball...') and the the same shot when static players (ie after a free or mark) are kicking long into the forward line.

The one dimensional feel is exacerbated by commentators simply not doing their job and explaining where players are on the field at any given point in time.

Or for that matter, the broadcasters not using a simple graphic at regular intervals in the corner box on the screen showing where players are at that point in time (like the telstra tracking app) - or even a simple overhead shot at the start of each quarter with names against players so you could at least see how they are set up at the first bounce.

All of the above means i had no clue Fritter played on the wing, couldn't see the unrewarded gut running whatwhat say what noted Kozzie did, or the off ball work by Bedford, or the defensive set up by the dogs (was there any ]thing different?), or how well the dogs covered the ground in the second half, or whether we dropped of our defensive spread running in the second (my assumption is we did - but becuase the commentators don't bother to mention it, despite, i  presume having access to the GPS numbers, i'm only guessing) - the list goes on.

There are so many simple ways the broadcasters could improve the coverage of the game. The commentators doing their job would be a good place to start. 

I'm not a huge Gridiron fan but watched the Super Bowl this year for the first time in years. Despite being clueless about the game, with their smart analysis, clever use of graphics and overlays and breakdown of events I reckon i understood more what was happening on the field than i did last night. 

Edited by binman
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

This will sound weird but that win vindicated our premiership to me.

Hard to explain, it just made it all feel real.

I think it's because last night was our first opportunity to express the joy of the flag in full voice under match conditions. 

A chance to finally release all that pent up emotion from having to view the 2021 campaign on a TV screen. 

Every goal and bit of good play was all the more enjoyable in the knowledge that we're reigning premiers, and I felt like I was cheering and celebrating last year's success as much as what was happening last night. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

So the evidence continues to build - for supporters, but more importantly, the players and FD,  whereby we can 'allow' teams to have momentum, to put on 5-8 goals, and for it not to affect us in starting to play safe (be it as a team, or as individuals)...moving us away from roles and structures.

This team, just keeps grinding and going, and committing to what it knows, giving itself the best opportunity to win matches,  irrespective of scores and scoreline .

It is seriously impressive.

As long as that opposition momentum happens in the early part of the game, i agree 100%
The team structure was so strong last night

Joel Smith and Toby Bedford were really solid, Adam Tomlinson looked a little rusty, but he was still solid in defence. Losing Salem was a real test for The Defensive Structure, it was a mess for about 10 minutes and then was sorted out beautifully 

• Like 3

On a different note, I finally listened to 'Freed from Desire' by Gala from start to finish on my commute into the office this morning.

What is the big deal over that song? The Doggies deserved to be mocked for singing that whether or not they lost the GF in the manner they did or not.

The last time I found that type of music enjoyable was when I was a 10 year old who didn't know any better and that type of Eurodance pap was regularly living in the top 10 of the Video Hits charts. Or when I was a pimply faced high school student with 9 beers under my belt at 21 Arms nightclub in Ballarat, sporting a bad hair cut and an even worse shirt and dancing like a giraffe having an epileptic fit. You could have probably played me Camp Granada by Allan Sherman and I would have thought it was 'The White Albun'.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

3 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

So the evidence continues to build - for supporters, but more importantly, the players and FD,  whereby we can 'allow' teams to have momentum, to put on 5-8 goals, and for it not to affect us in starting to play safe (be it as a team, or as individuals)...moving us away from roles and structures.

This team, just keeps grinding and going, and committing to what it knows, giving itself the best opportunity to win matches,  irrespective of scores and scoreline .

It is seriously impressive.

I said it to my buddy during the second “this is where we did so we’ll last year, stopping momentum swings during games really well, this is one of the biggest swings against us in the last few years, I’m fascinated to see how we do here… I felt like we really tried to slow the game down and push it out of the contest to slow it and then slowly turn it our way. Really enjoyed watching it. 

• Like 5

Trac looked even better than last year the way he is moving. He mentioned on AFL 360 last week that he had lost a few kilo's and it show's in the way he can explode off the stoppages and in congested situations without losing any of his power. He has definitely gone up another level already and should be regarded as the best player in the comp. 

Langdon was outstanding in the first quarter. Could he be an All Australian winger this year? 

Brown back to his best and will be right up there for the Coleman this year. 

3 votes to Trac, 2 votes to Langdon and 1 vote for Brown. 

I'm so pleased for Joel Smith, he showed a bit last year in the finals and has backed it up again last night. He'll solidify his place in the back 7 this year. Most likely taking Hibberd's spot. 

• Like 2

I watch in horror when Salem got injuried making 5 of our 1st choice back 7 out but players like T Macdonald, Hunt, J Smith, Tomlinson and Brayshaw really stepped up to fill the breach.

I have never been prouder to see the MFC come out of adversity and win running away.

• Like 3

I hope all the Smith doubters were paying attention.  He was very solid both with his defending and disposing the ball.  Watching at the game last night, while Brown lines up for our second goal, Gawn ran 50m to praise Smith after his efforts over near the members.  Great captaincy and the praise was very well deserved.

Lyon was also full of praise, saying just before the second quarter started "Joel Smith for me is the standout.  You wanna talk about whether they're hungry, a bloke that doesn't play in the grand final keeps them all honest"

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, S_T said:

I hope all the Smith doubters were paying attention.  He was very solid both with his defending and disposing the ball.  Watching at the game last night, while Brown lines up for our second goal, Gawn ran 50m to praise Smith after his efforts over near the members.  Great captaincy and the praise was very well deserved.

Lyon was also full of praise, saying just before the second quarter started "Joel Smith for me is the standout.  You wanna talk about whether they're hungry, a bloke that doesn't play in the grand final keeps them all honest"

I have been a doubter (and will likely reserve some doubt until there is sustained, consistent output), but I will say that I was quite impressed. Worked really hard and disposal was much better than we've seen at times. He's definitely talented, and admittedly has been cruelled by a bad run of injuries. With Petty, Rivers and Salem (hopefully only) out for a couple more weeks, it's definitely an opportunity for him to make a case for long-term selection, or at the very least, first drop for anyone else who gets injured. I'll be interested to see how he fares against a more potent forward line. But I'm definitely paying attention :-)

• Like 2

Great first hit out against another top 4 contender, the only concern being Salem.

Some players where a bit underwhelming but that is expected so early in the season.  

• Like 2

Is there a better sight in our forward line than three opposition players trying to mark the ball and you just see Ben Browns 12 foot hands just holding onto the ball?

I am not sure if others have made mention of it, but we ran out the game really well. Normally with a Round One game, especially one that was so physically contested, there are players cramping. I didnt see any of that. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

You’re right, DD, so many awesome things about last night.
Personally, I (unexpectedly) was invited to sit up in the posh area (can’t remember what it’s called) and look down on the plebs with whom I usually sit. 😁 I had a beer (YOLO!), I got a selfie with Nick McCallum (next level fan-girling right there), I got a selfie with Perty and I could’ve got a selfie with Kate Roffey except she walks so fast that I would’ve had to run faster than Langers and even if I caught up with her, I would’ve had to crash tackle her before she got in the lift. And it’s not a good look to crash tackle the president of one’s footy club. Not in the posh section, anyways. 

Oh and the mighty Dees reigned supreme! ❤️💙

Quite a blast it would seem you had WWC.

I've been up in the boxes / bleaches on a few occasions.  While i love the corporate  freebie action in terms of the food / drinks flowing, i felt a step removed from reality and the noise / atmosphere of the mosh pit.  Especially when the glass to the box was closed!  Even when open its still NQR imv.

It is nice to see how the other half live once in a while though and froth away knowing someone else is picking up the tab. 

On such a grand occasion it doesnt really matter where you're at anyway.  As long as you're there to witness and soak it all up with a friend or two.

Keeping the beers rolling is a must however and if i was there there's no way you'd be stopping at one.  Bottoms up lassie!

• Like 2
  • Love 1