List of Former Demons who missed out on a flag.

Cranky Franky

I made a list of former players who could have a premiership medallion if they had made different choices and/or if things had turned out differently for them:

Tom Scully, Jack Trengove, Jack Grimes, Jack Watts, Mitch Clark, Liam Jurrah, Jeff Garlett, Harry Lumumba, Jessie Hogan, Dean Kent, Mitch Hannan, Sam Frost, Stefan Martin.

Special mention to Isaac Smith for picking Geelong.

• Like 1

If we'd kept Hogan then we wouldn't have May etc. If we hadn't of lost scully, we wouldn't have Hogan etc. if a player left and bad mouthed us then i'd be happy to rub it in. On the day i didn't want Hannan to get a medal having just left us (but that was more fo rthe precedent it could set - whereas by winning we have set the opposite precedent, i.e. don't leave in case miss out on a potential premiership next year). :)

• Like 3

Not exactly on topic, but back in the day I always felt for Stan Alves. Debuted in Round 7, 1965, into a 6 and 0 premiership team. Nek minit...

And 226 games later...

Gave me something to cheer in 1977 though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wunders said:

If we'd kept Hogan then we wouldn't have May etc. If we hadn't of lost scully, we wouldn't have Hogan etc. if a player left and bad mouthed us then i'd be happy to rub it in. On the day i didn't want Hannan to get a medal having just left us (but that was more fo rthe precedent it could set - whereas by winning we have set the opposite precedent, i.e. don't leave in case miss out on a potential premiership next year). :)

Yeah, I'd like to think that we could have found another way to get May if we'd kept Hogan, but perhaps that's not realistic.  Feel for Jessy,  he was there for a fair period when we were pretty average, thought he was an important part of the rebuild and ascendancy back into relevance 2015 - 2018, but unfortunately things just fell apart for him on and off the field.  Could still be a pretty solid player if he can get his body right and I get the feeling GWS could still be a contender in the seasons ahead, so I wouldn't resent him having some sucess (preferably not at our expense!!).  Similarly, I don't really resent Hannan for leaving us. 

Howe's a different story and as it turns out $$$lly was better off taking the money and ending up at a struggling Hawthorn - got about what he deserved in footy karma in the end I think.

• Like 2

This is crazy talk. BUT someone who was conspicuous by their absence in the Demons return to greatness was Brock McBrainless. Probably penniless. wasted and blaming the world. I am not sure who has the higher IQ out of Brock or Dayne Beams, however I am fairly sure that the dog [censored] on my neighbors nature strip has a higher IQ than both.

Edited by Wizard of Koz
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

I made a list of former players who could have a premiership medallion if they had made different choices and/or if things had turned out differently for them:

Tom Scully, Jack Trengove, Jack Grimes, Jack Watts, Mitch Clark, Liam Jurrah, Jeff Garlett, Harry Lumumba, Jessie Hogan, Dean Kent, Mitch Hannan, Sam Frost, Stefan Martin.

Bit unfair to Lumumba. He was advised to retire by doctors 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

This was about players who over the last 10-12 years left the Club for whatever reason but had they stayed might have played in a Premiership side.  I reckon the cut off age is 35 therefore Brock Mclean & Jeremy Howe is are the ones I missed. 

1 hour ago, wizardinoz said:

OMac & Tommy Bugg who was fortunate enough to have his image painted on a wall in a city laneway. Snorting a Swans player behind play didn't work out to well however.

What type of unnatural act is that?

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 6:36 PM, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Yeah, I'd like to think that we could have found another way to get May if we'd kept Hogan, but perhaps that's not realistic. 

Well seeing how may was unfit and injured for most of his first year, potentially we could've told him to wait one more year and either:

1) traded Jessie and picked up the other king brother for pick 6, or

2) kept Hogan and picked may up as a free agent the year after.

From the talk though he wasn't in the best head space and it was effecting the team off field, so mutually beneficial outcome.

• Like 1

image.png

The club was in a state of flux for a while re his 'concussion' issues and he didn't turn up to training for a while there  ... Peter Jackson at the time said something like, 'we will continue negotiating for only so long' ... seeming to be peeved with Lumumba ... he also strangely claimed he wasn't allowed to play to reach triggers in his contact ... all very odd 

Edited by Demons1858

2 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

image.png

The club was in a state of flux for a while re his 'concussion' issues and he didn't turn up to training for a while there  ... Peter Jackson at the time said something like, 'we will continue negotiating for only so long' ... seeming to be peeved with Lumumba ... he also strangely claimed he wasn't allowed to play to reach triggers in his contact ... all very odd 

Yes there seemed to be some shenanigans around his concussion & his contract & retirement. Think he maybe played 2 or 3 good games for us.