Farewell Luke Jackson

Lucifers Hero

21 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I desperately hope we don't give Coll a first, in fact I would prefer not to get him at all.  But I fear that we will get him and give up a first or equivalent for him, not necessarily one of Freo's.   Just don't see them accepting a second for him which will be in the 30's.  Our future first might get it done which for a player around $700k looks about right.

It depends on what other trades Coll want to do.  Perhaps not as desperate for a first for Grundy now that Taranto and Hopper have nominated Richmond.  The other trades mooted for them are Hill from GWS and Frampton from Port which won't be first rounders or anything like it.

I think it also depends what other trades and recruiting we want to do as well.

If doing a deal quickly for Grundy enables us to move quickly for someone else that is going to be best 22, then maybe we need to look at the whole picture post trade week.

I'd prefer we didn't go Grundy at all, but I can see if we compliment him with other best 22 walk ups (I have no idea if we will - just spitballing here), we get deals done quickly and don't risk holding up trade week and not optimising our list as best we can during an important time in our window.

Edited by A F

1 minute ago, A F said:

I think it also depends what other trades and recruiting we want to do as well.

If doing a deal quickly for Grundy enables us to move quickly for someone else that is going to be best 22, then maybe we need to look at the whole picture pist trade week.

I'd prefer we didn't go Grundy at all, but I can see if we compliment him with other best 22 walk ups (I have no idea if we will - just spitballing here), we get deals done quickly and don't risk holding up trade week and not optimising our list as best we can during an important time in our window.

Agreed. Do the deal and move on to the next is our mo.

It could happen quickly after Jackson announces he wants to go if we are going to offer our 2023 first for Grundy.

But if Grundy trade is dependent on the Jackson trade it may take a while as Freo need to get their trade package together which may depend on the deals for their 4 or 5 'wantaways'.  They could make it easy and offer up their 2022 and 2023 first round picks plus Meek/player who it has been reported we are interested in. 

It is being reported Jackson's decision will come this week.  But I suspect a Grundy decision will be after Coll season ends. 

Apparently Geelong are still in the hunt for Grundy but they are also chasing Bruhn and Henry so may not have the currency to do all three. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

The most interesting thing re Jackson and possible list changes is that we do not have a draft pick until pick 32 (no first round pick and based on finishing outside top 4).

I would hope that we get two first round picks for Jackson. Whilst Grundy would be handy to help give Gawn a chop out, neither he or Gawn or genuine forwards so I wouldn't want to be getting rid of both first rounders/or even one as has been reported as part of potential Grundy deal.

An opportunity to get in more young talent. We only blooded one debutant this year (Turner). Outside of Hunt/Melksham, we barely had proper competition for spots from Premiership year.

11 minutes ago, Red and Blue Flame said:

The most interesting thing re Jackson and possible list changes is that we do not have a draft pick until pick 32 (no first round pick and based on finishing outside top 4).

I would hope that we get two first round picks for Jackson. Whilst Grundy would be handy to help give Gawn a chop out, neither he or Gawn or genuine forwards so I wouldn't want to be getting rid of both first rounders/or even one as has been reported as part of potential Grundy deal.

An opportunity to get in more young talent. We only blooded one debutant this year (Turner). Outside of Hunt/Melksham, we barely had proper competition for spots from Premiership year.

There were a number of guys at Casey whose form definitely warranted selection at times, like Chandler, Laurie, JVR and Dunstan (unlucky that we're so loaded in the midfield). I do like that we're allowing the younger players more time to develop at Casey but we need balance... our selection was so predictable and the lack of fresh legs was so obvious by the end of our campaign.

Back to your original point though, definitely agree that we'd benefit hugely from two high draft picks and the fresh talent that comes with them.

• Like 3

I believe the club is very interested in Sam Sturt of Fremantle. He has been watched live in the WAFL by the club twice in recent weeks. I'm still none the wiser on the actual situation with Jacko but believe Sturt would form part of any deal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

2 minutes ago, Dannyz said:

I believe the club is very interested in Sam Sturt of Fremantle. He has been watched live in the WAFL by the club twice in recent weeks. I'm still none the wiser on the actual situation with Jacko but believe Sturt would form part of any deal. 

He just re-signed with Freo 2 days ago.

• Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

Again, it has to be a minimum of 2 first rounders and one in the top 6 (possibly top 8)  Jackson might nominate Freo early, as early as today or tomorrow, but the deal will take a long time to happen, especially with teh 3rd party deals needed. 

10 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

He just re-signed with Freo 2 days ago.

Very good of Freo to sign up the players that we might be interested in.  Not!

With all the players they have signed up, the posturing to keep the 4-5 'wantaways' they are setting up to drive hard bargains for any trades with us or other clubs.

They want Jackson they should get the deal done and move on.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dannyz said:

We had showed huge interest in his draft year.

This makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Scipio said:

.our selection was so predictable and the lack of fresh legs was so obvious by the end of our campaign.

The balance of youth v experience was a little skewed to the latter IMV.  Need to get the balance a bit better in 2023.

Not alot of speed in this team due to the above and just in general.  Even the mid field hasn't got alot of break away speed happening.

Kozzy about the only one with serious jets.

You could counter that if you had one or more of Clarry, Tracc and Viney bursting away and out from congestion more often like we saw in 2021.  Not as much of this in 2022.  Or alternatively a mid with crazy evasive skills / ball use like Pendles but of course how often do you find that sort of talent?  We would go to another level as a team/club if we had that sort of ball user in the middle and finish coming inside 50.

Too many plodders on the outside as well.  ANB, Gus, JJ & Lingers for loose ball contest / link chain play.  None of them are quick across the ground either and ANB rarely finishes inside 50.  Great endurance / work rate from all four.  Ability to get from contest to contest is first rate, but not that speedy once they've got the pill.  ANB in particular.  Got caught far too often this season.

Spargo is a lovely user of the ball but just doesn't get on the end of it often enough.  Some games yes eg; the GF but goes MIA in others.  Brings it in patches during a match but then will go missing for long periods at other times.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dannyz said:

Just signed on for another year

5 minutes ago, A F said:

I guess it doesn't necessarily mean Freo couldn't push him out the door, it does give them the whip hand with Sturt and I wouldn't put it past that nuffy Bell to think in these terms.

Was just thinking the same thing AF! If anyone has it in him to re-sign a bunch of guys up with having leverage in mind for potential trade it's Bell! Reminds me of 'sign and trade' deals you see in NBA. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Very good of Freo to sign up the players that we might be interested in.  Not!

With all the players they have signed up, the posturing to keep the 4-5 'wantaways' they are setting up to drive hard bargains for any trades with us or other clubs.

They want Jackson they should get the deal done and move on.

Simply because someone has a contract doesn't mean they cannot be moved. If both agree it happens

• Like 1