Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Viney Suspended for 2 Weeks

Demons11

Just now, Jaded said:

I never said anything about crushing the windpipe. Read my posts again. 
Head and neck is one of the same when it comes to severe injuries and concussions. In fact a few players with ongoing concussion issues have had neck injuries or neck issues. 
We pay frees for above the shoulder not for in the head. End of story. 

So now we're dealing with a concussion are we? Far out mate, you are really reaching further with every post.

The point is you keep changing what happened in the incident (which you've now done again).

You first said:
"Putting pressure on someone’s neck is dangerous."

Then said:
"if a Gold Coast player did that to Gus who has a history of head injuries"

It can't be both of these things in this incident. You're just trying to make it sound worse than it is.

And now it's apparently a concussion issue...

• Like 1

Moronic stuff from Jack. 

He's meant to be a leader and does this shi*. 

Not to mention we are destroying the opposition. 

Needs to get weeks and have a look at himself. 

I think he's done this out of pure frustration at himself. 

Has had an ordinary few weeks and wanted to let it out. 

Either way it's dumb, selfish and just an awful look. 

The only saving grace is precedent but I don't care if they didn't get weeks. Give him a spell so he learns this is a gross act. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WalkingCivilWar said:

But does it really make that much of a difference? Head or neck: both no-go zones. 

In the context of this incident it makes a fair bit of difference.

Having your arm pressing down on someone's throat is FAR worse than on the side of their head.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

So now we're dealing with a concussion are we? Far out mate, you are really reaching further with every post.

The point is you keep changing what happened in the incident (which you've now done again).

You first said:
"Putting pressure on someone’s neck is dangerous."

Then said:
"if a Gold Coast player did that to Gus who has a history of head injuries"

It can't be both of these things in this incident. You're just trying to make it sound worse than it is.

And now it's apparently a concussion issue...

Whatever I won’t keep going around in circles with you. If you don’t think what Viney did was stupid and dangerous then you’re letting your bias show. 

Also some reading for you if you’re interested https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/nov/25/head-neck-injuries-phil-hughes-doctor

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, WA Demon Boy said:

Moronic stuff from Jack. 

He's meant to be a leader and does this shi*. 

Not to mention we are destroying the opposition. 

Needs to get weeks and have a look at himself. 

I think he's done this out of pure frustration at himself. 

Has had an ordinary few weeks and wanted to let it out. 

Either way it's dumb, selfish and just an awful look. 

The only saving grace is precedent but I don't care if they didn't get weeks. Give him a spell so he learns this is a gross act. 

Geeze we have some very average supporters.  

• Like 3

Just now, Demons11 said:

??‍♂️

Ok, I was being facetious here. Thought it was obvious. Clearly it wasn’t. What I mean is, I very much doubt the MRO will see it that way, ie., Collins was the aggressor. 

9 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

That’s like the guy who says, “No, Officer, that’s NOT how it happened. He hit my fist with his face!” 

Or like when you have to explain to the ER surgeon you were hanging curtains in the nude and you fell backwards and that’s how the light bulb…

…actually, never mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Jaded said:

If you think this is no big deal you’re letting your Melbourne bias cloud your judgement. It is a dumb and dangerous thing to do. It’s a bad look and we are a better team than that. Can’t stand clubs who resort to cheap shots. 
We won by 98 points. What is the [censored] point of this sort of idiotic aggression? 

What does the medical report say and what injuries if any does the Gold Coast player sustain?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Putting pressure on someone’s neck is dangerous. Full stop. 
You try having a 90 kilo footballer put their elbow on your throat and see how you like it. 
Just because no damage was done this time doesn’t mean we should just let it go. It’s absolutely a bad look for a game that is trying so hard to protect the head of players. 
Tell me this, if a Gold Coast player did that to Gus who has a history of head injuries would you be mad about it?

No, I wouldn't care and I think it's a bit hysterical to compare genuine knocks to the head with someone pushing down on someones face with their forearm.

• Like 1

Not a great look on the first couple of playthroughs but I actually think Viney has a few arguments up his sleeve here.

1. After completing a solid tackle on Collins, you can see Viney has eyes for the next contest and is in the process of standing up and moving away. Collins then double grabs Viney and pulls him down on top of him.

2. Viney seems to be held into position by Collins with him still double grabbing Vineys jumper.

3. Viney again attempts to leave the encounter as shown by his legs attempting to stand up, Collins still maintains the rage with his double grabbing of the jumper and rolls Viney over and tries to push him into the ground.

Not a great look on the whole and Viney should have tried to move his elbow off his head as soon as possible. Will get penalised for the length of time on his head more so than anything else. Still reckon Collins had a big part in instigating the whole incident though. 

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Hopefully he does get weeks.

Gives us a reason not to play him. Purely on form the past few weeks he's been ****house.

Get Jordon back in, or if they want to go for the bigger experience body then Vandenberg. 

Actually he was one of our best last week

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

I believe the expression is "one and the same".  Sorry!  :D

My two cents - it was dumb and unnecessary but doesn't warrant a suspension.

Thank you. My iPhone is not an English professor ?

I think he will get a week for malicious intent and that is about right. It’s a bad look and the AFL will want to stamp it out. Viney is not a big enough name so easy to make him wear it. 

2 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Not a great look on the first couple of playthroughs but I actually think Viney has a few arguments up his sleeve here.

1. After completing a solid tackle on Collins, you can see Viney has eyes for the next contest and is in the process of standing up and moving away. Collins then double grabs Viney and pulls him down on top of him.

2. Viney seems to be held into position by Collins with him still double grabbing Vineys jumper.

3. Viney again attempts to leave the encounter as shown by his legs attempting to stand up, Collins still maintains the rage with his double grabbing of the jumper and rolls Viney to the ground and proceeds attempt to push viney into the ground.

Not a great look on the whole and Viney should have tried to move his elbow off his head as soon as possible. Will get penalised for the length of time on his head more so than anything else. Still reckon Collins had a big part in instigating the whole incident though. 

Excellent post, now find a way to get on the tribunal panel.

• Like 1

He'll get a week it was stupid but we have JJ  to come in so it doesn't stuff up our structure too much.

15 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I never said anything about crushing the windpipe. Read my posts again. 
Head and neck is one of the same when it comes to severe injuries and concussions. In fact a few players with ongoing concussion issues have had neck injuries or neck issues. 
We pay frees for above the shoulder not for in the head. End of story. 

It's not end of story, the head and neck are completely different in the context of this incident. Pushing down on someones face is completely different to pushing down on their neck, neither of which has the potential to cause concussion I might add.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Actually he was one of our best last week

Yeah nah I didn't think so. Even after watching the doggies replay, nothing had changed my opinion on that I thought he was still fairly average.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nascent said:

3. Viney again attempts to leave the encounter as shown by his legs attempting to stand up, Collins still maintains the rage with his double grabbing of the jumper and rolls Viney to the ground and proceeds attempt to push viney into the ground.

Not only is this the defence Viney should use, i think there is an element of truth in this. After seeing from different angles, it looks less and less severe everytime i watch it. 

If:

1. Hawkins can carelessly swing his elbows around and 'accidently' break May's cheekbone

2. Selwood can gouge peoples eyes and sit on people

3. Mummy casually following on players ribs with his knees 

4. countless jumper punches and other displays of unsportsmanship behaviour

the AFL have had many times to set a precedent for serious misconduct. It would be grossly unfair to decide to act now. Time for such measures is off season and introduce a set of tangible parameters that one can apply fairly and consistently. 

We will inevitably bend over like we do with all things relating to the overlords at AFL house. 

I love also how Whately glosses over Selwood on 360 in the precedents he has used to compare Jack's incident to. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1