COVID & AFL 2021

Demonland

15 minutes ago, Jaded said:

If Port don’t win the flag they’ve blown a once in a lifetime advantage 

If they play Melbourne, it will be as the away team against Melbourne having won on that ground just 8 days prior.

Rolled gold to get to the granny. Not so much to win it.

EDIT: Port last played on Optus in Round 3 against the Eagles. They lost.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Socceroos captain just announced he will not play in the upcoming qualifiers while the quarantine rules remain.

Q. Would flying in 30 vaccinated and tested players to Sydney increase the national risk profile ?

As a country we have a terrible risk tolerance - we just don't want to engage in it. 

At same time - we're incompetent at many things including the process we are pushing even vaccinated people into when they come here because of our low risk tolerance.

We are only going to get more dysfunctional from here as we get more vaxxed. I live in the ACT - we will have 80% vaxxed sometime on October. But we won't open up until 2 weeks after last case...

I have a kid (not) in daycare - and I get the anxiety - I literally want to send something to all parents to get themselves vaccinated. 

I find the greatest irony are the freedoms that we don't have will not come back to us for years unless those that rail against their lack of freedoms are coerced to get vaccinated.

TL;DR - FML. Go Dees.

• Like 2

If I were Port I'd say to the AFL: "Actually, can we go to Perth for the Prelim? We want to play there."

They shouldn't be allowed to (integrity of the competition an all), but that's what I'd do if I were them. It's all about winning the last game. Anything else is a waste of time, so practice on the ground the grand final will be played at is ideal. If you lose, well fine you probably wouldn't have won the Grand Final anyway.

If you win, then you're better placed than ever to take out the Premiership.

Edited by Chook
  • Thinking 1

On 8/26/2021 at 4:00 PM, binman said:

100% agree about incentives being more effective.

And I'm not suggesting we should, or even could, go down the legal route.

But we are certainly about to head into very murky areas in terms of Vax v non Vax - work place mandates are the obvious ones. But there is a million other less obvious ones.

On changing young people's minds. And some oldies like me, if they were clever they would pumping up things like the outdoor music festival summer circuit.

I go to golden plains every (non covid) year. Not much chance of social distancing there. Those sort of events will surely be double Vax only. 

So they should be telling you gunston, if you want to go to merideth, splendour, falls, rainbow serpent etc etc, get bloody vaxed.

And maybe even offer a discount to tickets to such events. Or a ticket guarantee. 

Vax is all about minimising the health consequences of covid to the indivigual

Nothing at all to do with preventing spread of covid Given that only 1 to3 percent need hospital it in my opinion firmly sits in the manage your own risk category just like drugs obesity and high risk behaviour

12 hours ago, Skuit said:

I write about the business consulting world for a crust, which is really far removed from my personal interests but does cover such a wide range of topics that it keeps me engaged. My own personal writing is in the little-known genre of fictocriticism, which blends fictive with academic writing and draws from numerous disciplines such as anthropology, cognitive psychology, neuroscience, literary theory and microbiology etc. 

SO impressive. I just write fiction - short stories. I have about 46, which I hope to publish as 'Mother Tongue: Theme and Variations.'

I re-read one of them last night and after a bottle of Red I was prepared to announce that I am a Genius!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, dieter said:

SO impressive. I just write fiction - short stories. I have about 46, which I hope to publish as 'Mother Tongue: Theme and Variations.'

I re-read one of them last night and after a bottle of Red I was prepared to announce that I am a Genius!

Happy to take this conversation to personal messages if you wish to share some of your work dieter. 

It could easily happen that next year an interstate Premier says players who aren't vaccinated cannot enter their state or must do 14 days quarantine.

Player has a choice:  get vaccinated or stay home.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Jaded said:

Insanity not to mandate vaccines for players and staff. The entire league can still go into disarray if a player gets Covid. 

Errr  Vax doesnt prevent catching the disease

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kent said:

It greatly reduces your risk of catching and transmitting it. It’s a no brainer to get all the players vaccinated in the off season. I for one hope all our players are pushed to get it done as soon as our season is finished. 
It’s also about leading the way and setting a good example for the community. Players are, rightly or wrongly, role models. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Seatbelts don't guarantee you won't get injured in a car crash, but you'd be foolish not to wear one.

Parachutes don't guarantee you'll survive a fall out of a plane, but your odds of survival might be a tad better.

Get vaccinated.  You'd be a fool not to.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 8/28/2021 at 8:03 AM, Kent said:

Vax is all about minimising the health consequences of covid to the indivigual

Nothing at all to do with preventing spread of covid 

That is just plain wrong.

Please save yourself the effort of replying, arguing or asking me to explain why. 

Do some reading of the basic facts. There is reams of useful, accurate information out there. 

For Pete's sake, how people could not understand the basics about this disease and the response to it this far into the pandemic just blows my mind. But it certainly explains a lot of about peoples choices, their behavior and the situation we are in.

Edited by binman
  • Like 9
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, Jaded said:

Insanity not to mandate vaccines for players and staff. The entire league can still go into disarray if a player gets Covid. 

Once more for good measure:

Vaccines do not stop you getting or spreading the virus. They minimise harm to the individual.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, jnrmac said:

Vaccines do not stop you getting or spreading the virus. They minimise harm to the individual.

Are you confident this is correct? Are you sure it's not more accurate to say that "Vaccines do not prevent all people from getting or spreading the virus"? In other words, don't these vaccines work by reducing the number - quite significantly - of people who will catch and spread the virus? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jnrmac said:

Yep, which in turn decreases the need to be hospitalised and decrease the death rate.  It is a virus that will be here and we need to learn to live with it, like influenza yearly shots to reduce the severity of the flu should you catch it.

I find it funny, Dan and other premiers you won't be allowed to travel, get into pubs, events and sports if you aren't double Dosed, then you have AFL saying no to compulsory jabs.  How will players play if they can't travel or get into grounds if the rest of us can't 

• Like 1