Christian Petracca is A Demon For Life

goodwindees

Hope they have insured his knees for 7 years. 

And that he remains motivated for that period of time.

Always worry about long-term contracts but I understand the pressure coming from other clubs.

It is just a hell of a lot of money over a long time. 

How will he be in 5 years let alone 7. 

Keep our fingers crossed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tincan said:

Let's put in in perspective - he could go down as one of our greatest ever.

Big call, but agree.

Trac is the sort of player you build a club around

RDB is a great comparison, both in playing style but also star power. Dusty is an obvious companion too, but no less accurate for being so. 

The genius of dusty is how he performs in the big games. Three Norm Smiths is mind blowing. But he has also played a lot of top shelf, game changing games in other finals and big home and away.

To get to Dusty's level that is what tracc has to do, which of course means having the opportunity to play in big games. But i have no doubt he will be desperate to prove himself in such games.

Where he does differ from Dusty is he gets more of the ball. A lot more. He is averaging 30 odd possessions and is weapon all over the ground. Whereas Dusty is really a forward who has bursts as an on baller, particularly at center bounces, (from which he almost always goes forward). He doesn't really go into the backline at all. 

Welcome by the way. 

Edited by binman
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

In the context of the recent signings of Salem, Oliver, Gawn and Viney, this is huge for a club, which used to have a habit of shooting itself in the foot. This shows solidarity.  The current administration is showing foresight and evidencing that the 'brotherhood', which currently and clearly exists within this group, is priceless.

Of course, some naysayers will deride the length of tenure and money contained within the contract, but none of us can possibly know what the fine print says.  I am rapt with this.

Go you Mighty Demons.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Hope they have insured his knees for 7 years. 

And that he remains motivated for that period of time.

Always worry about long-term contracts but I understand the pressure coming from other clubs.

It is just a hell of a lot of money over a long time. 

How will he be in 5 years let alone 7. 

Keep our fingers crossed.

And here I was thinking you’re a glass half full kind of guy.

When was the last time we had a generational type player like CP? We’re all in with this group and while there is always apprehension im glad we’re all in with this group.

• Like 3

Great news to hear that Christian Petracca has signed on for 7 years to make him a Demon for life!

Being a one club player is important and it shows loyalty and commitment and means that he can see a positive future with our team.

The big challenge now will be driving success and hopefully Christian Petracca has the leadership ability to possibly be a Captain of the Melbourne Football Club too.

GO DEMONS!!!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Certainly been a contrasting 12-24 hour period for the number 1 and 2 picks of the 2014 draft.

THANKS SAINTS! :rolleyes:

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Tarax Club said:

THANKS SAINTS! :rolleyes:

We passed on Dustin Martin in 2009, and then 5 years later we were able to undo that thanks to getting Trac at pick 2, and Brayshaw at #3 who is pretty handy too.

So while Richmond will thank us forever we must thank the Saints for helping us to rectify our 2009 shocker!

• Like 5

Great reporting goodwindees nice to have someone in the know on site.??

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

We passed on Dustin Martin in 2009, and then 5 years later we were able to undo that thanks to getting Trac at pick 2, and Brayshaw at #3 who is pretty handy too.

So while Richmond will thank us forever we must thank the Saints for helping us to rectify our 2009 shocker!

Dusty can strut about in his "Y" fronts whilst Tracc can now zoom away in a spanking new "F" type.

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Haha 1

Brilliant news! Trac is a star and will still get even better as our team improves.

There’s real loyalty at our club and it’s started at the top, Jonesy and Gawny have led the way, Viney, Salem and Trac have followed. It’s great for club stability now and our future, something great is building!!!!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I'm absolutely elated by this. Tracc is a once in a generation player, and to resign him when big profile clubs with even bigger chequebooks are loitering about is a huge endorsement for the direction we are going. However, I'd like to be a touch self indulgent here, and chronicle my experience with player movements over the last 10 odd years of being a supporter.

Call me a misery guts and living in the past, but I got onto this board roughly around 2012. 

Although the way he handled his exit is worth of excoriation though perhaps not his reasoning, Scully had walked out the door in 2011. Beamer Moloney, a bloke who had just chided Brock McLean for legitimately being disgusted with the direction the club was going, had left via free agency. Jared Rivers was one year away from doing the same. Chip Frawley would be gone by the end of 2014. 

We stunk on ice, and couldn't attract anyone of any sort of caliber to the club. Greg Denham, as snarky and vindictive as he was, was right when he dubbed us the Melbourne Bears. The best we could get by Neeld's second year were blokes at the end of the road or had been delisted from other clubs, and were just looking for a spot on an AFL list. Luke Ball wouldn't give us the time of day in '09 even when we were offering him the captaincy. Shaun Burgoyne and Chris Judd, despite humoring us by saying we were on their 'short lists', gave us firm nos. Bloody Robbie Warnock wouldn't have a bar of us, despite his brother putting pressure on him and the team giving him a professional PowerPoint presentation.

It was until we snagged Bernie Vince and Daniel Cross that things started to turn, though both brought different things to the table (Vince brought football nous, camaraderie and class, and Cross gave us leadership, determination, work ethic and toughness). We proceeded to slowly turned into a place that people wanted to be.

With Tracc's resigning, we aren't just a place where people can feel comfortable signing a two to three year extension, but one in which people wouldn't commit to playing at for the rest of their careers. We are a place people are happy to associate themselves with as an integral part of their identity. When Tracc, Salo and Vines introduce themselves, they will be known as Melbourne people, and that sense of belonging is one that they embrace wholeheartedly. 

Chip, Riv, Beamer and Chooka McLean, while definitely having contributed a lot to the club (clearly much more than me) probably have had that sense of identification diluted. Indeed, if you ask many of them of their experience in the latter periods of their stay, I am sure they rightfully would feel a sense of embarrassment and frustration.

With a core of blokes now together for the long haul, with Tracc as the centerpiece, our boys need to do what St. Kilda did around 2006 (?) and commit to bringing together a cup home with this collection of blokes. Tragically, St. Kilda missed out by a butterfly's wing in achieving this goal. Let's make sure we have a happier ending.

3 hours ago, Smokey said:

@Lucifer's Hero perhaps the most satisfying update ever awaits your contracts thread 

Yep.  To 2029 was very satisfying.  Removing the 'RFA' status after his name was the best part; untouchable now.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Seriously, HTF did the Saints not take this bloke pick 1? and then after such a disasterous call, how did we appoint their coach at the time as our footy boss! 

Richo is trying to make up for it by signing Trac up for 1000 years

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Deestroy All said:

Not sure why anyone is worried about the money. We’ve signed all the pillars, unless we get done for cap breach, don’t worry about it. 

Jetta, Jones, Melksham, Hibbo, Tomald all on the way out. Kids like Kozzie and Jackson aren’t signing money deals until they’re at least 23. 

It’s an odd realisation I know, but we seem to know what we’re doing 

Also as the years move on you would think the cap will go higher therefore money to cover Kozzie and Jacko etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hard to believe it is less than 2 years ago that many DL's were saying De Goey was a champ in comparison to our Christian and criticising so many little things about him. 

Well doubters look at both of them now!

• Like 6
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Hard to believe it is less than 2 years ago that many DL's were saying De Goey was a champ in comparison to our Christian and criticising so many little things about him. 

Well doubters look at both of them now!

Wrestling Spank You GIF by chuber channel

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Shaun Burgoyne and Chris Judd, despite humoring us by saying we were on their 'short lists', gave us firm nos.

I had no idea Burgoyne was "interested" in us back in 2009 ish.

He probably made the right call in fairness to head to Glenferrie.

5 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Wrestling Spank You GIF by chuber channel

Rusty,  I know it is meant in jest but I have a problem with that image.  A man spanking a defenceless woman isn't funny to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CYB said:

Now being reported that the deal is worth well over $1mil per year as was reported by @goodwindees. Where did the narrative that he wanted to leave some $$$ for his team mates come from, because earning that much cash is not going to help retain your LG, Kozzies, Rivers and other emerging stars in a few years time.

Unless there is some clever front/backloading being done here, i cant see how this was a team focused decision. 

Dont get me wrong, i am wrapped he has signed for 7 and he is well worth what he is getting paid - just questioning the narrative. 

I'm the proverbial 110% with you on the first two parts of this sentence, CYB. On the third part, does anyone have the answer - where did that narrative come from?

It may just be front loading is mopping up current and early salary cap space (if that's how things can work)? Would three years of coaching at the back end (if exercised) somehow come from a different pool, too?

Re the injury/form/age concerns dotted through this thread, does the coaching option provide a salvage-something Plan B (again, if this is how things can work)?

I note the coaching option goes a fair way to answering my earlier 'life after football' question, btw!

20 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Rusty,  I know it is meant in jest but I have a problem with that image.  A man spanking a defenceless woman isn't funny to me.

Sorry thought that was a dude.  P.S.  she might be enjoying it!

P.P.S.  how do you know that's a woman?

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Haha 2