Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

My Round 4 Preview and Prediction


CHF
 Share


Recommended Posts

WOW!

3 rounds, 3 wins and 12 premiership points in the bank.

It is so long since we have experienced such a high position on the ladder this early in the season it is giving me nose bleeds. As a matter of fact, I have experienced some Demon seasons where we have not realised 12 points for the whole 22 rounds.

We played GWS last round and, it has to be said that they suffered three critical game ending injuries to leading players. This, of course, made it very difficult for them. So what? It happens. I will take the points and celebrate the win and I do not see anywhere an asterix besides the 4 points that explains the situation. Sing the song, celebrate the win, and move on the next round.

And so, to the Round 4 encounter with the [censored] ( I had no idea that 'Puss ies" was censored) at the G on Sunday afternoon. Don’t be surprised if Geelong do not turn up on Sunday. I mean that literally, not metaphorically. Since records were first kept, when the [censored] supporters saw the Dees fixture on the season list they just assumed it was a home game at Kardy Park. Do not be surprised if, an hour before the game, a bunch of their supporters turn up at the ground from the pub only to realise that the game is being played elsewhere. A few of the dimmer players might also turn up there.

The facts:

We are coming off a win in Canberra and are full of confidence. Advantage us.

We did not make the most of our good play last week. Advantage them.

They had a hard-fought win against the hawks and have one less day to recover. Advantage us

They have no Dangerfield and that other bloke that is the worst sort of sniper/king hitter I have seen for some time. Advantage us

Problem areas of the game for us:

Strange to think that we are 3-0 with a patched up forward structure and have not really put it all together in a game yet. Does that say more about us, or the teams we have played?

Defence was a bit patchy on Sunday. It held together but did not look as confident as it has in the recent past. There were a few dropped marks that should have been taken and I was very nervous each time Jetta was called upon to step up. He started on Toby and was left standing and watching a few times before May moved to him. Nev had jut 67% game time for 9 disposals and zero tackles. Not what you want from a defender. On the plus side in defence Hunt had a blinder.

In the past I have subscribed to the old maxim that it is all about the midfield but I might have to say that in this game it will be the defence that needs to perform against a mature, well structured attack. May has a big job to do on Hawkins.

We had problems in the midfield against GWS. Oliver copped a heavy tag as was not able to work it out. The coaches moved him forward where he managed to get his hands on the ball but butchered the three set shots. Petracca had a reasonable game but I wondered after the game if the heavy tag on Oliver also affected Petracca’s game. I have noticed that the seems to feed off each other in games. Will be interesting to see how that situation develops. I like the way that we are developing the games of Sparrow and Jordon. Both had only 66% game time last week with Jordon really delivering.

 This week they will come up against a good midfield team but I believe we will come out on top of them. Smith against Langdon as a match up? Gutherie and Selwwood will need to be contained.

Ah yes, now for the forwards…….

The good; we kicked a winning score last week. Kossie with 4

The bad; that midfielder’s set shots for goal

The ugly; TMac’s disappearance for a lot of the game

Well, I have to say that Kossie is a great pickup. 4 goals taken with excitement and flare. And….. he is ours….. Fristch found his kicking boots and looked like he was having fun out there and giving the opposition players a bit as well. It is not the forward structure we thought we would be running with in the pre-season but we still manage to find avenues to goal each week. I hope we do the same this week.

I predicted a 6 goal win last week and missed by a couple of points. This week I think it will be tighter than last week with the older more experienced [censored] pushing the whole way.

3 quarters of an arm wrestle with us winning out in the last by 3 goals.

If we go to 4-0 I can imagine that there will be a few more heads turning our way in the media and the other teams.

OK. I’ve dusted off the bandwagon, polished the fading paintwork, given it a tune up and topped up the fuel tank with premium bathwater. Another win and it will trundle out into public for the first time since the beginning of 2019 season.

 

Edited by CHF
censored bit
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just now, Hardley Benial said:

Let me be the first (or couple) to congratulate you on a great and well reasoned post.

You have a clear thinking of the game 

BTW you should be in the media. Slobbo, Gazza, Piggy don't have your articulation.

I'm staying tuned for more.

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Hardley Benial said:

Let me be the first (or couple) to congratulate you on a great and well reasoned post.

You have a clear thinking of the game 

Thank you..... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MASSIVE game. fantastic to play the Cats at the G. Hopefully they have flashbacks of Jetta, Viney and Clarry smashing them physically in the final in 2018 in front of 90K.

The Cats are clever, rough and will try anything to nullify our strengths.  Have we matured?  Can we keep our heads and not give away 50s? 

If we stay focused and tough at the ball we win.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great post Chf.

Im not worried about our backline.

It will stand up. Jetta will finally show us why hes still there. If Hunt can surprise us then...

May and co will keep performing. Especially Rivers.

Not worried about the midfield either. I doubt you can keep both Trac and Oliver from their best 2 games in a row. Besides Jv is hitting his strides. Maybe Anb gets rotated. Hes playing his best footy.

Will our fotwards kick a big score?

Kozzie cant do it all. Tmac will have to stand up. Fritta to continue his form. Gawn more time in the forward line. Spargo hopefully with 2 or 3. Jones a little time there as well and we should be alright. 

Besides it aint kardinia park its our home ground. The space will help us.

Dees by 5 goals.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone else having issues with ticketing? I am second priority with a level 1 reserved seat and was slow to log in this evening but have been in about 5 times and choose a seat area but can get no further, as in I get no actual seat and option buttons to move on. I doubt everything is sold in our reserved area yet? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BigFez said:

Looking at the forecast hopefully our boys aren't scared of a bit of wet and cold.

I looked at the Accuweather forecast and it did not look to be too bad. A bit breezy in the morning with a 25% chance of rain.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CHF said:

WOW!

3 rounds, 3 wins and 12 premiership points in the bank.

It is so long since we have experienced such a high position on the ladder this early in the season it is giving me nose bleeds. As a matter of fact, I have experienced some Demon seasons where we have not realised 12 points for the whole 22 rounds.

We played GWS last round and, it has to be said that they suffered three critical game ending injuries to leading players. This, of course, made it very difficult for them. So what? It happens. I will take the points and celebrate the win and I do not see anywhere an asterix besides the 4 points that explains the situation. Sing the song, celebrate the win, and move on the next round.

And so, to the Round 4 encounter with the [censored] ( I had no idea that 'Puss ies" was censored) at the G on Sunday afternoon. Don’t be surprised if Geelong do not turn up on Sunday. I mean that literally, not metaphorically. Since records were first kept, when the [censored] supporters saw the Dees fixture on the season list they just assumed it was a home game at Kardy Park. Do not be surprised if, an hour before the game, a bunch of their supporters turn up at the ground from the pub only to realise that the game is being played elsewhere. A few of the dimmer players might also turn up there.

The facts:

We are coming off a win in Canberra and are full of confidence. Advantage us.

We did not make the most of our good play last week. Advantage them.

They had a hard-fought win against the hawks and have one less day to recover. Advantage us

They have no Dangerfield and that other bloke that is the worst sort of sniper/king hitter I have seen for some time. Advantage us

Problem areas of the game for us:

Strange to think that we are 3-0 with a patched up forward structure and have not really put it all together in a game yet. Does that say more about us, or the teams we have played?

Defence was a bit patchy on Sunday. It held together but did not look as confident as it has in the recent past. There were a few dropped marks that should have been taken and I was very nervous each time Jetta was called upon to step up. He started on Toby and was left standing and watching a few times before May moved to him. Nev had jut 67% game time for 9 disposals and zero tackles. Not what you want from a defender. On the plus side in defence Hunt had a blinder.

In the past I have subscribed to the old maxim that it is all about the midfield but I might have to say that in this game it will be the defence that needs to perform against a mature, well structured attack. May has a big job to do on Hawkins.

We had problems in the midfield against GWS. Oliver copped a heavy tag as was not able to work it out. The coaches moved him forward where he managed to get his hands on the ball but butchered the three set shots. Petracca had a reasonable game but I wondered after the game if the heavy tag on Oliver also affected Petracca’s game. I have noticed that the seems to feed off each other in games. Will be interesting to see how that situation develops. I like the way that we are developing the games of Sparrow and Jordon. Both had only 66% game time last week with Jordon really delivering.

 This week they will come up against a good midfield team but I believe we will come out on top of them. Smith against Langdon as a match up? Gutherie and Selwwood will need to be contained.

Ah yes, now for the forwards…….

The good; we kicked a winning score last week. Kossie with 4

The bad; that midfielder’s set shots for goal

The ugly; TMac’s disappearance for a lot of the game

Well, I have to say that Kossie is a great pickup. 4 goals taken with excitement and flare. And….. he is ours….. Fristch found his kicking boots and looked like he was having fun out there and giving the opposition players a bit as well. It is not the forward structure we thought we would be running with in the pre-season but we still manage to find avenues to goal each week. I hope we do the same this week.

I predicted a 6 goal win last week and missed by a couple of points. This week I think it will be tighter than last week with the older more experienced [censored] pushing the whole way.

3 quarters of an arm wrestle with us winning out in the last by 3 goals.

If we go to 4-0 I can imagine that there will be a few more heads turning our way in the media and the other teams.

OK. I’ve dusted off the bandwagon, polished the fading paintwork, given it a tune up and topped up the fuel tank with premium bathwater. Another win and it will trundle out into public for the first time since the beginning of 2019 season.

 

And historically Geelong loses the next week after they beat the Hawks. If we show to play this week we can win. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Earl Hood said:

Anyone else having issues with ticketing? I am second priority with a level 1 reserved seat and was slow to log in this evening but have been in about 5 times and choose a seat area but can get no further, as in I get no actual seat and option buttons to move on. I doubt everything is sold in our reserved area yet? 

Earl, I had problems too, where I couldn’t choose a delivery option and so could not proceed with tickets. This was on my desktop computer, so I tried on my phone and it worked straightaway. Hope you get it sorted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely not locking in anything, we're looking good but if we've learned anything from the first few rounds it's that being off your game by a little bit can catch you out big time.

I live in the UK so let me say this to any Dees fan that can make it to the G, GET THERE AND MAKE SOME NOISE!!!! When I watch it this week I want to hear a noise level like what we had in the elimination final against the cats in 2018, be that extra element that gets the boys over the line like the cats have at KP.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Hardley Benial said:

BTW you should be in the media. Slobbo, Gazza, Piggy don't have your articulation.

I'm staying tuned for more.

Thanks

I suspect you mean " are far less articulate "

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, CHF said:

 

Oliver copped a heavy tag as was not able to work it out. The coaches moved him forward where he managed to get his hands on the ball

 

Great read CHF and thank you.

Your comment on Oliver and my observations gave me great hope for the first time in a long time that Goody and (new) coaching support are capable of dealing strategically mid game with an issue. I havent seen this much before now.

But someone recognised Olivers predicament and thoughtfully made a change that, short of straight kicking, could have been a masterstroke. With the remaining midfield standing up.

Fills me with confidence, given the Chris Scott is a great match day coach, that we have the brainpower in the box to counter it. Yze - I'm looking at you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pates said:

Definitely not locking in anything, we're looking good but if we've learned anything from the first few rounds it's that being off your game by a little bit can catch you out big time.

I live in the UK so let me say this to any Dees fan that can make it to the G, GET THERE AND MAKE SOME NOISE!!!! When I watch it this week I want to hear a noise level like what we had in the elimination final against the cats in 2018, be that extra element that gets the boys over the line like the cats have at KP.

Max Gawn noted in his after match on ground interview in the 2018 final defeat of the cats that it felt like a MFC home game given the overwhelming support for Melb from the crowd.

Fear not - I am expecting the same this Sunday.

As Chris Scott siad in an insightful interview on Footy Classifed this week  -  "...Everyone outside the club hates the Geelong coach..."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Demon17 said:

someone recognised Olivers predicament and thoughtfully made a change that, short of straight kicking, could have been a masterstroke. With the remaining midfield standing up.

Good point. He could have easily kicked 3 goals which he normally would have (i think he has been a very reliable kick in the past ) in a short ammount of time. 

Good coaching signs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First chance to get to a game since 2019, haven't been this excited about going to the footy since 2018 finals. Get to see Kozzie, LJ and Riv live, and Langdon burn up and down the mcg wing for the first time. 

Going with a Geelong supporting mate and wondering if anyone knows how we get tickets together? Do I need to wait for GA to be available and will I still be able to enter the barcodes for me and the missus? Bugger all info available, rang the club but nobody was home.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great write up, and a good read. 👏

I was watching last weeks geelong v Hawks game, hoping the cats would win fr two reasons. 1./ The style they’re playing is slow and outdated and I don’t think they’ll beat us with it in 2021. I wanted them to win so they would be encouraged not to change it. 

2./ Despite their first up loss i feel like they’re still a cocky team who’ve drunk a lot of success. Fair enough if you’re richmond or west coast but they’re not in that sphere anymore. i reckon they’re an team on the cusp of a big fall. Id like them to stay falsely cocky fr one more week and get barrelled by us. 

I feel a bit insane saying this but im going the dees by a lazy 45 pts plus. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My lineups for both teams (can’t wait for Werridee). Hibbo in for Jetta and assuming Josh Jenkins in for Higgins to try to create height mismatch.

FB [14] Michael Hibberd (186), [1] Steven May (193), [8] Jake Lever (195)

FF [31] Francis Evans (182), [26] Tom Hawkins (198), [9] Max Holmes (189)

CHB [3] Christian Salem (183), [20] Adam Tomlinson (194),[29] Jayden Hunt (187)

CHF [22] Mitch Duncan (188), [11] Josh Jenkins (200), [40] Luke Dahlhaus (179)

C [10] Angus Brayshaw (187),[5] Christian Petracca (186),[15] Ed Langdon (182)

C [7] Isaac Smith (188), [42] Mark O'Connor (191), [2] Zach Tuohy (187)

CHF [36] Kysaiah Pickett (170),[25] Tom McDonald (194),[9] Charlie Spargo (173)

CHB [30] Tom Atkins (180), [8] Jake Kolodjashnij (193), [24] Jed Bews (186)

FF [30] Alex Neal-Bullen (182),[6] Luke Jackson (198),[31] Bayley Fritsch (188)

FB [25] Lachie Henderson (196), [46] Mark Blicavs (198), [44] Tom Stewart (190)

FOLL [11] Max Gawn (208),[13] Clayton Oliver (187), [7] Jack Viney (178)

FOLL [1] Rhys Stanley (200),[29] Cameron Guthrie (187),[14] Joel Selwood (183)

Subs/Medical Sub:

[2] Nathan Jones, [23] James Jordon, [24] Trent Rivers, [32] Tom Sparrow, [18] Jake Melksham

[3] Brandan Parfitt, [6] Jordan Clark, [32] Gryan Miers, [38] Jack Henry,[18] Charlie Constable

 I like the mix of our forward line (2 talls, 1 medium and three small pressure) against their defense (3 talls, 2 medium, 1 small) if the ball comes in low and flat as we have seen more of. I wouldn’t be surprised if they dropped Henderson for someone smaller and quicker to try to counter Fritta, Kossie, Spargs and Nibbler.

I think the midfield battle leans our way, Gawn should give Stanley a towelling. Looking forward to the next round of Viney vs Duckwood. The wings should be an interesting battle to watch.

Max Holmes (debut last week) and Francis Evans (2 games) in the fwd pockets are young, light and presumably quick. I’m not sure Jetts has a place in this backline, he’ll struggle to keep up. Hence the change Jetta for Hibbo based on their lineup (apologies Nev).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    WEATHERING THE STORM by Mel Rundle

    The magic of Melbourne’s magnificent start to 2021 is beginning to wear off. In its past six matches it lost to three teams that were outside the eight, out of form —  teams which it had very little trouble bearing last year. This week, the temperature is turned up even higher with the hard fought spot in the top four at risk. The really ominous factor about the Demons’ upcoming Thursday night meeting with Port Adelaide this week is that it is due to take place at the very place where its dec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    FEE-FI-FO-FUM by George on the Outer

    “Fee-fi-fo-fum, without a Full Forward the Premiership can’t be won!” So said the GWS Giants, as they exposed Melbourne’s fatal deficiency with a nine point win at the MCG.  In past weeks Melbourne has been barely able to gloss over the lack of a serious target in front of goal, while others were able to contribute.  But in a near repeat of the game from the previous week, players running up the ground simply had no-one to kick the ball to, when all that was needed was that one tall target.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MUCH ADO ABOUT EVERYTHING by Whispering Jack

    Let's face it. We Melbourne supporters are a demanding lot. Here we are with our team on top of the ladder with a record of 12 wins and 2 losses, a decent percentage and a fair run home for a team with finals credentials. We have a fit list with lots of in form players, many of who are in contention for All Australian and other high honours, the team’s playing with purpose and cohesion and its VFL affiliate is undefeated and going gangbusters.  Still, we're all walking around with conc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HIATUS by KC from Casey

    After their five week Covid19 lockdown hiatus, the Casey Demons were fairly scratchy against Essendon VFL for the best part of 2½ quarters on Sunday afternoon but they finally settled down to motor away to a 48 point victory. With 20 AFL affiliated players on the team sheet, the Casey line up looked the strongest team ever put together since linking up with the Demons but the team struggled to score in the early going and managed its first goal to Aaron vandenBerg late in the first term.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    ESSENDONE & DUSTED by George on the Outer

    Essendon was the latest casualty as the Melbourne juggernaut rolled over the Bombers on its way to a 12th win for the 2021 Season.  It was a display of the difference in quality, coaching and system that defines those who will compete in finals and those that lie outside the top eight. Sadly, in these Covid times a mere 19,414 attended the game and the silence outside the ground before the match was eerie.  Normally, thronging crowds lining up at ticket gates and food carts were replaced by

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HOME AWAY FROM HOME by The Oracle

    The Demons return to the MCG on Saturday night (albeit for an away game) for the first time since mid-May when they beat the Blues. At the time, they were riding high, undefeated and celebrated by the football world. In the interim, they lost to two teams that occupy the bottom six, beaten two top four teams in front of empty or near empty stadiums and somehow fallen out of sight in the AFL bubble despite retaining top of the table status. And in a strange twist, the mantle of the league’s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...