Jump to content

Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


Clarkson’s Patton Comments


Cards13

Recommended Posts

Alastair Clarkson says Jon Patton has needed time away to reflect after ‘quite immense’ public scrutiny

A fair bit to unpack in this one but:

Pretty fair that there is “”immense” public pressure” in relation to these allegations.

The League is leading the investigation, and I assume police?

I hope the club is also checking on and working with alleged victims in relation to there wellbeing.

This whole comment feels is an absolute  train wreck to me:

“These are young men that, in a lot of cases because of AFL footy, are sheltered from the real world in terms of what they have to endure,” Clarkson told SEN Breakfast. “So sometimes they’re not equipped with the coping strategies – and that’s been the case with ‘Pats’, who’s found himself on the front page of the paper.

“The investigation will determine whether that’s right or wrong, but the scrutiny that some of these footballers are under is quite immense. He’s found himself in a space where he needs some time away to reflect.

“You’ve just got to slow down and take a breath. I’m not usually too good at this, but in crises like these, it’s probably one of my strengths to slow down, take a breath, absorb all the information that’s coming our way, let the authorities make the decision.

“In ‘Hodgey’s’ case, it was the law. We didn’t need to impose any other penalties. There was a law that imposed the penalty in terms of him breaking the law and then there was the public scrutiny – and in a lot of instances, I think that’s enough punishment for anyone … it’s the public scrutiny that gets these guys more than anything else.”

 

Clarkson said the allegations against Patton were “murky territory” for those investigating.

“It’ll be a really interesting test case for what is the law around this sort of stuff,” he said. “That‘s why there’s an investigation in place and that’s why we’re at the mercy of that investigation, No. 1 to keep it private and confidential until the outcome of that is determined, but secondly to actually establish what are the standards in this sport of space.

“I know that I‘ve got my own personal standards, but I don’t know what my personal standards are in terms of the social media type of platform because it’s just so different.”

  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cards13 said:

Alastair Clarkson says Jon Patton has needed time away to reflect after ‘quite immense’ public scrutiny

A fair bit to unpack in this one but:

Pretty fair that there is “”immense” public pressure” in relation to these allegations.

The League is leading the investigation, and I assume police?

I hope the club is also checking on and working with alleged victims in relation to there wellbeing.

This whole comment feels is an absolute  train wreck to me:

“These are young men that, in a lot of cases because of AFL footy, are sheltered from the real world in terms of what they have to endure,” Clarkson told SEN Breakfast. “So sometimes they’re not equipped with the coping strategies – and that’s been the case with ‘Pats’, who’s found himself on the front page of the paper.

“The investigation will determine whether that’s right or wrong, but the scrutiny that some of these footballers are under is quite immense. He’s found himself in a space where he needs some time away to reflect.

“You’ve just got to slow down and take a breath. I’m not usually too good at this, but in crises like these, it’s probably one of my strengths to slow down, take a breath, absorb all the information that’s coming our way, let the authorities make the decision.

“In ‘Hodgey’s’ case, it was the law. We didn’t need to impose any other penalties. There was a law that imposed the penalty in terms of him breaking the law and then there was the public scrutiny – and in a lot of instances, I think that’s enough punishment for anyone … it’s the public scrutiny that gets these guys more than anything else.”

 

Clarkson said the allegations against Patton were “murky territory” for those investigating.

“It’ll be a really interesting test case for what is the law around this sort of stuff,” he said. “That‘s why there’s an investigation in place and that’s why we’re at the mercy of that investigation, No. 1 to keep it private and confidential until the outcome of that is determined, but secondly to actually establish what are the standards in this sport of space.

“I know that I‘ve got my own personal standards, but I don’t know what my personal standards are in terms of the social media type of platform because it’s just so different.”

This is a reflection of Clarkson's penchant for gobbledygook, where he says a lot and none of it has any substance. What is 'standards in this sport of space'?

(Clarko missed his calling, he would have been a great cop, you've heard them on the radio, seen them on the TV, the ones who 'talk' above their station, using big words when plain simple language says it way better. )

In this case, he should have switched off his capacity to explore the boundaries of linguistic comprehension and perhaps say nothing: much more eloquence there.

Edited by dieter
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m a believer that AFL footballers make a lot of money for being good at footy. That doesn’t mean they should just be open season from the press no matter how well they are paid.

They have to uphold good community standards but still be treated as humans when they do stuff up.

Patton likely has punishments coming to him in various forms and fair enough.

But a lot of the media coverage was way out of line with the allegations IMO. What should be reported factually and clinically took out a nasty tabloid angle which isn’t good for anyone involved. 

Clarko’s right to support his player until all the facts are on the table. That doesn’t mean he’s covering it up or minimizing it 

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dieter said:

This is a reflection of Clarkson's penchant for gobbledygook, where he says a lot and none of it has any substance. What is 'standards in this sport of space'?

(Clarko missed his calling, he would have been a great cop, you've heard them on the radio, seen them on the TV, the ones who 'talk' above their station, using big words when plain simple language says it way better. )

In this case, he should have switched off his capacity to explore the boundaries of linguistic comprehension and perhaps say nothing: much more eloquence there.

Sorry Dieter but that was a generalization too far. If you had of said politician instead of "cop"  I might have agreed with you. Now I will always question your posts  based on where you think your "station" is.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I’m probably more worried about his comments about Hodge in this. They took the easy road on that one. 17 other clubs would’ve too. But probably don’t bring it up as a triumph 

If I recall they had finals coming up, so whaddyaknow, we'll just leave that up to the law outside of footy, no internal suspension.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Over a long period of time I have noticed that reports and comments about the alleged mis-deeds of young footballers are increasingly tinged with elements of envy and resentment that the young players earn too much money for playing sport.

To me it is grossly unfair to hold them to a higher standard of behaviour just because they are perceived to be both overpaid and undeserving.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This sheltered/not part of society etc is rubbish.

No matter who you are, you know certain things are wrong and can end up with you in trouble with the law.

Its more they think they are so much better than the average pleb that they run the gauntlet. 
And yeah, when it hits the fan it’s public, that’s the reason clubs spend thousands of $$$ on education of players. Just seems not to work well for some.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tiers said:

Over a long period of time I have noticed that reports and comments about the alleged mis-deeds of young footballers are increasingly tinged with elements of envy and resentment that the young players earn too much money for playing sport.

To me it is grossly unfair to hold them to a higher standard of behaviour just because they are perceived to be both overpaid and undeserving.

 

No one is being held to "a higher standard of behaviour" here. If anyone did what Patton is alleged to have done the strict legal consequences would be the same. The difference is that because he is a public figure the media exposure for Patton is multiplied many times over. If an unremarkable person, like any of us on this site with no public profile at all, were charged over such matters and they were substantiated in court,  there would be possibly one day's media exposure. The result would be that those who know us might become aware of the outcome. For everyone else the matter would be largely unnoticed. For someone in Patton's position there is no escaping scrutiny. That is the only difference.

Edited by RigidMiddleDigit
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tiers said:

Over a long period of time I have noticed that reports and comments about the alleged mis-deeds of young footballers are increasingly tinged with elements of envy and resentment that the young players earn too much money for playing sport.

To me it is grossly unfair to hold them to a higher standard of behaviour just because they are perceived to be both overpaid and undeserving.

 

Similarly, I've long held that there is a significant double standard in the way society and the media treats sports people compared to other high profile celebrities, particularly in the area of substance abuse.  The minute a sports person gets caught or is rumoured to have an illicit drugs issue, they become the subject of intense media pressure and public scorn, where as it pretty much seems to be a prerequisite in other industries like the performing arts and music.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Similarly, I've long held that there is a significant double standard in the way society and the media treats sports people compared to other high profile celebrities, particularly in the area of substance abuse.  The minute a sports person gets caught or is rumoured to have an illicit drugs issue, they become the subject of intense media pressure and public scorn, where as it pretty much seems to be a prerequisite in other industries like the performing arts and music.

As athletes they should be preparing their bodies to be in peak physical condition. I don't really think smoking the odd joint or doing a few lines of coke every once in a while is a massive issue but if you've got a Ben Cousins situation or a drug impacting game day performance (either positively or negatively) then you have a problem. It's not even in the same ballpark as musicians and artists.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Similarly, I've long held that there is a significant double standard in the way society and the media treats sports people compared to other high profile celebrities, particularly in the area of substance abuse.  The minute a sports person gets caught or is rumoured to have an illicit drugs issue, they become the subject of intense media pressure and public scorn, where as it pretty much seems to be a prerequisite in other industries like the performing arts and music.

I agree with that in relation to recreational drugs, although worth noting that the better player you are, the often better chances of emerging from “murky waters” with your career in tact. Look no further than Hodge as an example.

Titus O’Reilly has written a book on the subject called A Sporting Chance, where he examines everyone from famous footballers to racing identities and how they have essentially gotten away with their misdeeds due in no small part to how talented they were on the sporting field. The number of examples he provides forms quite the body of evidence.

Put simply, I don’t think Patton will get shown the same sympathy as the Warnes and Careys of the world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't believe that young men should be subject to greater scrutiny and held to a higher standard than mere mortals just because they have achieved a measure of fame from their playing ability and their earning capacity.

They, too, should be allowed to grow up at their own pace and, so long as they cause no harm other than to themselves, leave them alone.

Envy and resentment have no place in our footy world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two things here: they are being held to the same standard as anyone else (see above) not a higher standard, and a 27 year old is beyond the "young men" label. At 20, 21, 22 you might still be graded as a bit of a goose and immature. But 27? Come on, he is a mature adult.

Indeed, if anything, people in his position are privileged, and supported in ways ordinary mortals are not, so there is no reason to cut them some slack as you're suggesting that others don't receive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, dworship said:

Sorry Dieter but that was a generalization too far. If you had of said politician instead of "cop"  I might have agreed with you. Now I will always question your posts  based on where you think your "station" is.

The cop station?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, dworship said:

Sorry Dieter but that was a generalization too far. If you had of said politician instead of "cop"  I might have agreed with you. Now I will always question your posts  based on where you think your "station" is.

I don't mean to offend coppers: some of my best friends are policemen and women. Surely, though, you've noticed how often when they're being interviewed some of them use 'big words' when a simple word would have hit the nail on the head. That's all. As for 'had I used 'politician' instead of cop, yes, that's a given. But politicians  just lie and obfuscate. Anyway, like I say, no offence meant to the Copper Species, I love the work they do for us.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, dworship said:

Sorry Dieter but that was a generalization too far. If you had of said politician instead of "cop"  I might have agreed with you. Now I will always question your posts  based on where you think your "station" is.

My station, just for the record, is the whaleway station, where they weigh whales.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GAMEDAY: Practice Match vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are headed for a date with the Blues at Ikon Park for their final practice match before the ball is kicked in anger to open the season in just over a week's time. Date: Wednesday 28th February 2024 Location: Ikon Park Gates Open: 5:30pm Match commences: 6:40pm Watch: Foxtel & Kayo VFL practice match: Please note, the VFL practice match (10:30am) is no longer open to public. Entry: Your entry gate will be detailed on your ticket (4, 5 or 6)

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 3

    TRAINING: Tuesday 27th February 2024

    I headed down to Gosch’s Paddock this morning for the Captain’s Run in the lead up to tomorrow night’s practice match against the Blues.  The squad that took the field was indicative of the lineup for that match at Ikon Park.  Likely Selections based on the groupings of players at the Captain's Run today at Gosch's Paddock. Main Group: Gawn, Viney, May, JVR, Lever, Petracca, McVee, Windsor, Billings, Langdon, Bowey, Schache, Rivers, ANB, Fritsch, Sparrow, Chandler, Kozzy,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 4

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 414

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 183

    POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Dees were outclassed and outmuscled in its first practice hit out for the 2024 season against the Tigers going down by 23 points at Casey Fields. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 287

    GAMEDAY: Match SIM vs Richmond

    It's Game Day and it's been 156 days since the Demons were bundled out of the finals in straight sets for the 2nd year in a row. Our redemption starts here. Remember it's only a practice match if we lose. Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways Demons Squad: 1. Steven May 2. Jacob Van Rooyen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 402

    TRAINING: Saturday 17th February 2024

    On the eve of the Dees first practice match for the 2024 season a couple of Demonland Trackwatchers bring you their observations from today’s Captain’s Run at Gosch’s Paddock.  KEV MARTIN’S CAPTAIN’S RUN OBSERVATIONS Looks a a dress rehearsal Captain's run. 23 out doing drills.  Included is Will Verall, Kynan Brown, Bailey Laurie, Caleb Windsor, Blake Howes, Adam Tomlinson, Kade Chandler, Jack Billings and Josh Schache. Rehab include BBB, Tom Fullarton, TMac, AMW, Woey.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...