Grand Final Eve Public Holiday

Whispering_Jack

Does anyone else think that this year’s Grand Final Eve Public Holiday is ridiculous?

There’s no room for the usual grand final parade or festivities with the game being played in the Republic of Queensland.

And besides that, Melbourne in the midst of its Covid-19 lockdown won’t be a place for celebration, especially if the 5k limit is still in place.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Does anyone else think that this year’s Grand Final Eve Public Holiday is ridiculous?

There’s no room for the usual grand final parade or festivities with the game being played in the Republic of Queensland.

And besides that, Melbourne in the midst of its Covid-19 lockdown won’t be a place for celebration, especially if the 5k limit is still in place.

Agreed. They should just give us an extra public holiday next year in the long period between Anzac Day & Queen’s Birthday or QB & Grand Final Eve. 

Working at home and the pandemic has put a lot of strain on the mental health of many people. Personally I'm really looking forward to a long weekend, even if all that means is I can sleep in a touch, and read a book in my back yard. 

The GF parade is just an excuse to have the day off. It used to be Show Day. But the benefits of the day off go further than the parade itself. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Don’t know about you WJ but I have been on holiday in my house for six months. Yes ridiculous.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, deanox said:

Working at home and the pandemic has put a lot of strain on the mental health of many people. Personally I'm really looking forward to a long weekend, even if all that means is I can sleep in a touch, and read a book in my back yard. 

The GF parade is just an excuse to have the day off. It used to be Show Day. But the benefits of the day off go further than the parade itself. 

This. I can't wait for a long weekend.

Though I do see the point of those who have been unable to work during this time and just want to get back into it.

• Like 1

It makes no less sense than having a day off for a horse race or a livestock meeting.

If still having it this year means either a well earned holiday for those working in essential services or a higher hourly rate if they work then I’m not going to argue with it. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

It makes no less sense than having a day off for a horse race or a livestock meeting.

If still having it this year means either a well earned holiday for those working in essential services or a higher hourly rate if they work then I’m not going to argue with it. 

Or holiday/s for religions that have fewer believers than ever

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Public holidays are locked in well in advance. I'm not sure if it would be possible to change it, even if there was a political will to do so. Doesn't seem to be how bureaucracy works!

Also, it's not as though it will be costing many businesses extra $ because most aren't open anyway. Taking a guilt-free day to read a book, go for a walk, do a project in the shed/etc can't be a bad thing!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Or for a Queen in some foreign country, when it isn't even her birthday....

I'm for being all encompassing, happy to have a holiday for Passover, Ramadan, Greek Easter, and every independence day around the world, how can we call ourselves truly cosmopolitan if we don't embrace them all, in fact Sweden's national day is my birthday, and I take that off every year.

Totally ridiculous - but pretty low down on the list of things to care about right now. We recently had Picnic Day in the NT which I thought was charming. It beats getting a day off so some people can go and watch a bunch horses run around in circles or celebrate the death of some possibly imaginary bloke over 2000 years ago (even typing that sounds ridiculous). 

• Like 1

absolute joke, another kick in the teeth for any small business that has managed to survive 

I used to close Grand final day so any staff that followed football could watch the game, since this holiday I haven't. Over half my staff don't even follow AFL, nor care about it. Mind you now that has all changed with Covid and business, I only have one staff member left and she couldn't give 2 hoots about AFL. 

• Like 4