Adam Saad

Lord Nev

Surprised there isn't a thread in this section already.

To this point, still not contracted, and apparently Essendon and his management are a fair way apart on terms.

IMO, adding Saad would change our mix considerably. Would mean no more Harmes in the backline, would give us more run and would open up the option of having Salem and/or Rivers having a run further up the ground.

There's other players who could bring that to us as well of course, but Saad is a quality player and would definitely form part of the overall picture of changing our dynamic.

• Like 5

Saad is exactly the sort of player we should be targeting. Ane should have been targeting for the last 3-4 years.

It goes without saying if we had had added one above average to elite baller every year of the roos and goodwin era we would be a much better team.

Instead we have focused until last year on inside bulls. And now we routinely lose the contested ball and are 18th in clearances, with the best ruck in the league. Go figure.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

He’s not B grade but he wont cost a future first, If you can convince him and he chooses to leave they will find a way. 

Are we saying Saad is A grade? Not sure I agree.

Would certainly fit in nicely on our half back flank though. He and Rivers would be handy and might enable Salem to play deeper and use his kicking to exit defence.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, A F said:

Are we saying Saad is A grade? Not sure I agree.

Would certainly fit in nicely on our half back flank though. He and Rivers would be handy and might enable Salem to play deeper and use his kicking to exit defence.

List for me the best small backs in the league that you would rate higher? 

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

List for me the best small backs in the league that you would rate higher? 

For his position he's up there, so I guess by that definition he's A grade, but jeepers, I reckon his defensive capabilities are as limited as Salem's, if not more.

I think he's quicker and takes the game on more than Salem, but he's not a mile ahead of him and I certainly wouldn't have Salem as an A grader.

Edited by A F
  • Like 3

Is the type of player we should be targeting.  Would give us some serious pace and some good kicking skills off half back and through the wings.

However, he is not the most defensive minded player going around, and you have to wonder how that would fit with our back six when you look at how May praised Rivers for working on that aspect of his game.

I worry that we're going to be a 'genuine' small defender short and it'll cost us, and I'm not sure Saad is exactly what we need.  But certainly a player to be interested in.  Both his tackle numbers and his overall consistency are underestimated and speak to a hard working professional, which is always welcome.

Other than that, it's all a matter of budget, because I worry that one trade period hype gets involved with Saad being 'elite in his role' that will turn into having to pay for him like he is 'an elite player' which is all very nuanced, as shown by the debate already in this thread.

The biggest con is having to deal with Essendon. Notoriously difficult to deal with although we did get Hibberd and Melksham from them.

If he's available get him, it's a no brainer. But I doubt he'll leave Essendon won't let him go.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The biggest con is having to deal with Essendon. Notoriously difficult to deal with although we did get Hibberd and Melksham from them.

If he's available get him, it's a no brainer. But I doubt he'll leave Essendon won't let him go.

it's a myth that they're difficult to deal with

no worse than any other club

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

it's a myth that they're difficult to deal with

no worse than any other club

I don't agree with that, Dodoro is pretty notorious for driving a hard bargain. It's the reason the Shiel deal went down to the wire, the reason Daniher didn't go to the Swans etc

Difficult to deal with may be the wrong term but I'd say we would end up paying more than what he is worth if we wanted to get him

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.