Gary Pert on The Deebrief

Sir Why You Little

A full FD review needs to take place. Not an internal one either. It needs to be an external one. 

My concern with Goodwin is that he had a strategy that relied on a structure that was no longer possible because of the 6-6-6 rule. If you remember 2018 he had this game plan that relied on half backs coming off in V pattern. It was good. Kingy and others lauded it as revolutionary. Since that all changed, he has nothing. Whatever system he has tried to implement has taken us backwards. The football we are playing is not suited to the players we have. It’s been highlighted by the media. We are constantly under pressure and the lack of good ball users is our undoing so often. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Age said:

I heard the other day that there is an out this year with terminations of contracts not having to be in the soft cap next year. I believe it is the reason why the suns got rid of Solomon. He apparently was contracted for next year so instead of just paying him next year they took the out and got rid on him now. 

I haven't heard it mentioned too often so I could be mistaken but if true, this could let us get rid of him without destroying our caps. 

I think with Solomon and others they have been made redundant and not sacked meaning that his contract doesnt have to be payed out and therefore not included in any soft cap

2 minutes ago, RedFox said:

I went out of my way to ensure I said he would be useful in 'some capacity' to avoid your interpretation. Good for a laugh though 

I’ve read a few suggest he replace Goodwin as head coach so my reply was more to those. I don’t disagree that he may be useful in some capacity. Couldn’t be worse than some of the coaches/staff we currently have. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sydee said:

Basic stats on disposal efficiency and efficiency from inside 50 entries (which is appalling) would suggest there isn't that much talent 

Sometimes it's hard to accept that our players just aren't much chop - apart from five to maybe eight of them I think the rest would struggle to get a game for the likes of WC or Geelong atm 

They include May, Petracca, Brayshaw, Max, Oliver, - you could mount a case for Viney, Lever and Langdon but the rest I doubt would be getting a run right now 

Agree to disagree. The list isn't all that different from two seasons ago and without looking I would say the stats you've referenced would have looked way better that season. Don't think our current plight is an individual talent issue, more the system. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I’ve read a few suggest he replace Goodwin as head coach so my reply was more to those. I don’t disagree that he may be useful in some capacity. Couldn’t be worse than some of the coaches/staff we currently have. 

Got it. Out of curiosity do you have any names you would target as assistants for next season?

4 hours ago, deebug said:

This isn't anything new, we keep hearing, when we at our best we can beat any side in the AFL.

In 2018 we played some good footy, however i would not call this at our best. The players had a sniff beating the hawks and cats, then getting smashed by the west coast. 

2019 was a lot of players were injured and the rest is history.

2020 we have had an almost full list of fit players, that are not even close to beating even the lower sides.

Yes we bet sides this year, but we seem stuck, not going to the next level. Sides that were below such the lions, saints and even the blues have shown way more improvement than we have, even after having high picks in past drafts.

Why does this keep happening to us? The players basic skills have gone, they mess up way to much for professional side.

Pert said we are looking for a home base close to the G, well that's all we have heard for years now, nothing gets done.

Where near the G? There is no land any more, so how the hell can this even happen, or is it even going to happen?

I love my club but sadly i am so sick and tired of nothing happening, are we there just make up the numbers for the AFL?

Because it sure feels we are going no where fast.

I think the idea that when we play our best , we can beat anyone is our single biggest problem with our players, coaches and club.

This is why we go in to games we "should" win because we think our best can get it done. i would suggest our analysis and time spent on opposition is less on these games we should win.

You see when we go into a game we know will be tough we are much more switched on and . But our best will get it done is also a problem in these games because we are always trying to play our "best " brand which opposition generally know how to counter.  Good teams don't allow Melbourne to play at it's ""best" and we fail to adapt in game , why because we believe once we start playing our best we will get on top and come back so we don't try anything ingame until it's too late.

It is the inflexibility of our thinking of thinking our best is good enough that hurts this club more than anything.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RedFox said:

Got it. Out of curiosity do you have any names you would target as assistants for next season?

My choices would be dependant on whether or not Goodwin stays and if he goes, who his replacement would be. I’ll have a realistic think on each scenario and get back to you. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bates Mate said:

I think the idea that when we play our best , we can beat anyone is our single biggest problem with our players, coaches and club.

This is why we go in to games we "should" win because we think our best can get it done. i would suggest our analysis and time spent on opposition is less on these games we should win.

You see when we go into a game we know will be tough we are much more switched on and . But our best will get it done is also a problem in these games because we are always trying to play our "best " brand which opposition generally know how to counter.  Good teams don't allow Melbourne to play at it's ""best" and we fail to adapt in game , why because we believe once we start playing our best we will get on top and come back so we don't try anything ingame until it's too late.

It is the inflexibility of our thinking of thinking our best is good enough that hurts this club more than anything.

Agree I posted before the Sydney game that I hoped there would not be complacency - unfortunately that’s what seemed to happen 

no idea whether this is backed up by stats but I’d be amazed if MFC didn’t have the worst stats on winning games when they go into them as clear favourites - happens multiple times each season and it’s been an ongoing theme for decades. Good teams just don’t do that other than the occasional slip 

52 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

A full FD review needs to take place. Not an internal one either. It needs to be an external one. 

My concern with Goodwin is that he had a strategy that relied on a structure that was no longer possible because of the 6-6-6 rule. If you remember 2018 he had this game plan that relied on half backs coming off in V pattern. It was good. Kingy and others lauded it as revolutionary. Since that all changed, he has nothing. Whatever system he has tried to implement has taken us backwards. The football we are playing is not suited to the players we have. It’s been highlighted by the media. We are constantly under pressure and the lack of good ball users is our undoing so often. 

Sorry to quote myself, but found these comments from Craig Jennings fairly accurate and in support of my view 

NAILED IT ?

? "Melbourne are built for the contest but their game-style is misaligned because they're trying to play a skill game - some teams do that but Melbourne's best weapon is the contest game and their game-style doesn't suit the players they have. I don't blame the players, I think this is a strategy consideration," former Melbourne Assistant, Craig Jennings 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

We've dealt with this quite a bit.

He completely changed his system this year. They rarely play to it and don't seem to entirely understand it.

1 hour ago, Elegt said:

they had their 2 best forwards out

It's ok to say that only if you excuse us in games where we have injuries. I don't think it's particularly relevant, the game was in Perth.

• Like 1

I personally think everyone is missing the biggest issue with this interview.

Pert and the rest of Board/Management believe enough in this this list/football programme that they have gone totally"chips in" on the next 3 years (given this was year 1 of a 4 year plan to achieve a premiership).

We are "using our balance sheet" despite a "lack of cash-flow" to bet that the team will be successful enough in the next couple of years to cover this years covid hit with bigger membership and gate receipts in the next couple of years. So much so that we are taking the path of avoiding AFL financial assistance (and the restrictions that will come from this regarding footy departments), unlike most of the other clubs. No-one asked on the interview, but I don't quite know how we do this unless we selling or borrowing against the "strong balance sheet". The money from our latest fundraising campaign will help a little, but no-where near what we have lost this year.

What happens if we have the same cash-flow issues in the next couple of years  - either due to Covid (no crowds/reduced members) or if we perform below the expectations of Management/Board? Our financial position could become very weak very quickly, and this Balance Sheet will be quickly eroded. Even if we do meet our cashflow targets, it seems that some of this Balance Sheet will already be needed for any training/social club development.

Therefore, if there are some misgivings about the Coach be able to get this team to deliver on the forecast path, they either have to act now. They are already taking a massive risk that has a high probability of putting the club in serious financial trouble.

I think we are 1 year into a high risk/ high reward strategy, where we have effectively bet the longer term viability of our club on the next 3-4 years. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spalding said:

I personally think everyone is missing the biggest issue with this interview.

Pert and the rest of Board/Management believe enough in this this list/football programme that they have gone totally"chips in" on the next 3 years (given this was year 1 of a 4 year plan to achieve a premiership).

We are "using our balance sheet" despite a "lack of cash-flow" to bet that the team will be successful enough in the next couple of years to cover this years covid hit with bigger membership and gate receipts in the next couple of years. So much so that we are taking the path of avoiding AFL financial assistance (and the restrictions that will come from this regarding footy departments), unlike most of the other clubs. No-one asked on the interview, but I don't quite know how we do this unless we selling or borrowing against the "strong balance sheet". The money from our latest fundraising campaign will help a little, but no-where near what we have lost this year.

What happens if we have the same cash-flow issues in the next couple of years  - either due to Covid (no crowds/reduced members) or if we perform below the expectations of Management/Board? Our financial position could become very weak very quickly, and this Balance Sheet will be quickly eroded. Even if we do meet our cashflow targets, it seems that some of this Balance Sheet will already be needed for any training/social club development.

Therefore, if there are some misgivings about the Coach be able to get this team to deliver on the forecast path, they either have to act now. They are already taking a massive risk that has a high probability of putting the club in serious financial trouble.

I think we are 1 year into a high risk/ high reward strategy, where we have effectively bet the longer term viability of our club on the next 3-4 years. 

All in with a bluff. Playing it like they got the nuts though. 

Everything you say there seems a pretty reasonable deduction.  I fear for our club if this is what is actually happening.  The internal review continues to make me shudder.  I hope for [censored] sake they get this right.

10 hours ago, Action Jackson said:

I believe this is the way forward.

Goody won't be sacked due to his contract and we all know this.

What the club should do is:

1. Look for the very best assistants we can to come in with fresh ideas and to improve each line.

2. Look to replace Mahoney with an experienced football boss (Neil Balme ideal).

3. Make some hard decision on player personnel to fix the deficiencies - this may mean Viney and TMac are moved on as part of this.

This reminds me of the Tigers in 2016 after 3 straight finals exits and a mediocre season (finished 13th) the media were saying their window is closed and they should start the re-build. They then did a full restructure of the coaches and brought in some talent (think they traded Deledio as well) and fast forward four years they are going for a third flag.

I'm not saying we will do the exact same, but sometimes  sacking the coach isn't the answer and if internally the players like playing for Goody then there must be something else that needs fixing.

Agree if assistants go Mahoney has to go too. His review last year pretty much maintained the status quo which has been a failure. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

He also had the two key forwards Hogan and TMac running up and down the ground, starting on the wing on occasions. Plus the diamond defence. He's definitely tried to be innovative, some of these things worked for a while before being worked our

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Nothing less than a Royal Commission.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Kent said:

Heard on the grapevine that a number of assistant coaches believe their contracts wont be renewed next year for what its worth.

Good news.  I think its obvious Goody will be coaching come round 1 2021,  so the best we can do is bring in top class assistants.  Maybe his successor will be in that lot.

8 hours ago, Sydee said:

Agree I posted before the Sydney game that I hoped there would not be complacency - unfortunately that’s what seemed to happen 

no idea whether this is backed up by stats but I’d be amazed if MFC didn’t have the worst stats on winning games when they go into them as clear favourites - happens multiple times each season and it’s been an ongoing theme for decades. Good teams just don’t do that other than the occasional slip 

Its why I gave up betting.

14 hours ago, SFebes said:

I hope they all go, but how many assistants has he had in four years? Also some of the best going around have sat next to him in Jennings, McCartney and Rawlings, then throw in the experience of Richardson who may not have made a senior coach but highly regarded assistant. This is a big problem, Goodwin has no idea and he doesn’t want to be told either imo 

If only there was a common denominator.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Good news.  I think its obvious Goody will be coaching come round 1 2021,  so the best we can do is bring in top class assistants.  Maybe his successor will be in that lot.

I'd say if Yze is one of them then he should be feeling nervous about his tenure.