Lloyd: Trade Oliver or Brayshaw

Demonland

8 hours ago, In Harmes Way said:

It’s all good for this sort of talk when all our list are healthy

Give one of our mids away that haven’t even hit their peak yet and listen to the noise when we have an injury or two....got no depth blah blah blah, stupid trade 

Just look at the Jesse Hogan thread for evidence - and he wanted to leave, so we had to do the best deal possible on that basis 

As a bit of a segway, I think I'd be happy enough to trade Brayshaw to Freo to play with his bro, if we got a fit and switched on Jesse Hogan back in return (there was rumor of Jesse wanting back to Melbourne/Vic earlier in the year).  I honestly haven't followed Jesse much in recient times, so don't know if this is really a realistic assessment or not, but our forward line did function so much better with him, that it could be a trade that made sense to both parties.  Perhaps even if Hogan is a little NQR physically, we can get Darren Burgess to work some magic on him.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Bulldogs - Bont, Libba, Macrae, Dunkley, Wallis

Too many inside mids!!!  Wallis played forward pocket last night.  Maybe they should trade the Bont!!! 

That is completely different. Libba probably the only true "grunt" in that lot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

ok the Hogan trade (not the May recruitment) worked out ok but, like Hogan, Oliver is a generational player.

Prefer to get rid of Goodwin a long time before Oliver and others are sacrificed to save a mediocre coach

We've almost wasted Gawn .... lets burn another

Oliver is nowhere near a generational player. He has a long way to go, needs to hurt the opposition with his disposal and start hitting the scoreboard. At the moment he is a decent starting mid and nothing more, would be lucky to crack the top 100 in the comp.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dr.D said:

100% agree. Brayshaw and Sparrow out. I can't see Sparrow ever being much. He isn't quick like he was advertised and his ball drop is with 2 hands. Trade them both.

Trading Oliver? yeah no.

We'll be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for Brayshaw and no-one is giving up anything for Sparrow. He would be a delist not a trade.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oliver is nowhere near a generational player. He has a long way to go, needs to hurt the opposition with his disposal and start hitting the scoreboard. At the moment he is a decent starting mid and nothing more, would be lucky to crack the top 100 in the comp.

At this point in time he isn’t top 100, but he was top 22 2 years ago at the age of 20/21 when he was AA.

Im still convinced this year will be a step backwards to take 2 forwards. He’s trying to hold onto the ball and take it on a bit more. He has lost confidence in his kicking, which has been nowhere near this bad in previous years, so I’m confident it will come.

• Like 4

IMO, I would keep AB, he is in a funk right now but his upside is huge. I would put JV out there and see what comes back. He is the most one dimensional player on the team. Keep CO and employ someone like  Akermanis / Swan to help him take his game to the next level.

55 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

Rotate them through the f50

It's gone a full 180 with Trac.  While he is proving that he can play predominantly as a mid and providing pleanty of drive from that part of the ground, it has somewhat deprived our forward line of a strong marking option and a player that can bullock his way through traffic and kick a good snap goal.  It would be good if our mids were given the licence to change up what role they were playing in-game so that the Trac weapon could be used where it is most needed.

Similarly, if the opposition's midfeild gets on top like it has in the past few weeks, Harmes should be thrown into the midfeild mix and perhaps let Trac play forward.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

Rotate them through the f50

Not the worst idea, Ox.  We know Trac can play forward, Oliver is also pretty good above his head while Viney can play a 'bullocking' role at the feet of the talls when he rests down there.

We need to remember that Trac, Oliver and Viney don't play in the midfield for the entire game.  We always rotate some through.  If we wanted Harmes tagging someone specific, then he can go in there and we can rotate a little.  If we don't need him then he can just be part of the rotation.

Either way, we have options to change it up without robbing ourselves of having our best players in there.

All good in theory but Brayshaw has two years to run on his contract. 

What if he doesn't want to go.  He has a long term partner in Melbourne (Danny Frawley's daughter) who may not want to leave the state.

Many things to consider before trading someone in contract.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We'll be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for Brayshaw and no-one is giving up anything for Sparrow. He would be a delist not a trade.

Amazing people keep talking about trading Sparrow. Even with the injury he's still played more games than Jordan; yet Jordan is the darling of Demonland for some reason. I think both kids will be good in the long run, but it's just bizarre how the favouritism works out sometimes. Sparrow isn't getting traded or delisted.

1 hour ago, Billy said:

If the MFC traded Oliver l would never financially/spiritually support this club ever again 

They wouldn't trade Oliver no way,  he is the main part of the engine room,   he starts the engine.  All talk and an outsider is Lloyd can make some of us hyperventilate.

As for Gus he has to quickly work out if he wants to be here and if yes then find a way to be of value to our cause going forward. 

• Like 1

The suggestions to trade either Oliver or Brayshaw has lot of merit. If you look at 2018 Brayshaw played mainly in the centre and Oliver the chaos player. Oliver has been found wanting last year and this and Gus has been shifted all over the ground . Oliver gets a lot of stats for possession but wastes most is very overrated  in my opinion.  Brayshaw on the other hand has more football smarts than oliver and I feel with more continuity of position offers greater longterm benefit. Oliver would also have more trade currency maybe around pick 19 - 22 

42 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The guy who almost single-handedly willed us over the line against the Lions?

Sorry, I just see it differently.

If our midfield was structured properly we wouldn't have to be single handedly anything.

That's the crux of the problem.

I think it would work better and we would win more games.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Gee N said:

The suggestions to trade either Oliver or Brayshaw has lot of merit. If you look at 2018 Brayshaw played mainly in the centre and Oliver the chaos player. Oliver has been found wanting last year and this and Gus has been shifted all over the ground . Oliver gets a lot of stats for possession but wastes most is very overrated  in my opinion.  Brayshaw on the other hand has more football smarts than oliver and I feel with more continuity of position offers greater longterm benefit. Oliver would also have more trade currency maybe around pick 19 - 22 

This is obviously some kind of troll post.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gee N said:

Trading Oliver for a draft pick is crazy! From his draft year 2015 nobody has played more games or had more possessions. The draft is a lottery. And you are advocating trading him for a second round pick! Just as an example in his draft year picks 19-22 are  Ryan Burton, Brayden Fiorini, Ben McKay and Kieran Lovell, not exactly superstars!

3 hours ago, Billy said:

If the MFC traded Oliver l would never financially/spiritually support this club ever again 

That goes triple for me as well.

What about Brayshaw for Taberner straight swap?

Don't trade either of them.

I can't see the problem of rotating 5 or even 6 through the midfield, especially if you systematically rotate 1 or 2 of them through the forward setup as well. Although Oliver's kicking at the moment is horrendous, I remember his set shots in 2018 as being fairly reliable (happy to be corrected if my memories of 2018 are in error).

So why don't we rotate Oliver and Petracca through midfield, bench AND forward? This might allow Brayshaw more time in the middle where he is needed.

• Like 3