CHANGES: Rd 07 vs Hawthorn

Nasher

2 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

He can mark, he's quick, would provide another option for our midfield and would free up Fritsch, Weideman and all the other forwards immensely.

He may be quick at training but he is unproven at AFL level and has slow game sense / awareness. 
His career to date has been underwhelming.  

• Haha 1

I was frustrated with Melksham early. Thought he could’ve stalked the CHF area better when we had nobody else around. But when we are at our best he is a big part of it. 15 touches and a goal tonight not the worst result on paper. I wouldn’t drop him vs Hawthorn - could use his experience/craftiness. 

• Like 3

Just now, Vineytime said:

In 2019 at training, means little now. 

Give him a crack and see how he goes before writing him off. He's quick and quite good aerially, generally as a forward you can get away with poor skills compared to a backman 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergard said:

If TMac is out, I'd like to see Smith in as a forward.  It gives us some flexibility to throw him back and May forward also if needed.

Interesting idea. I'm not sure if he is big enough for the no 1 or 2 role up front either.

Could consideration be given to replacing TMac with the 196cm Brown and using Smith as a mobile forward instead of Melksham?

• Like 1

If TMac misses, I would bring in Jackson. I know he looks unready, but for me, Brown is a backstop for when all else has failed. I eally want to see Jackson and Weideman on the park together. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Maldonboy38 said:

If TMac misses, I would bring in Jackson. I know he looks unready, but for me, Brown is a backstop for when all else has failed. I eally want to see Jackson and Weideman on the park together. 

I don't think id play Jackson as one of the 2 kpfs yet. 

Similar to my above comment: play Jackson as a mobile flanker instead of Melksham. A third tall so runs around. 

No change. Trust TMac gets up. I thought Jetta was fine. His pressure was good and deserves another game. Let's get some continuity into this team now please. No use making changes for players to come in that are not going to be better than those they are replacing.

• Like 3

Backs: I really think Hibberd was so much better when deep and not up getting the ball and butchering it. Jetta just doesn't have the legs any more. And Lockhart's struggling to get involved and tape on the knee isn't a good sign, he's had a few bumps and bruises already.

But who's available: 
J. Wagner --- hmmm
Rivers - a week is a quick time to rebound
Sparrow?
Hunt - down back....?
Chandler - did he even make the trip?
Smith - Actually don't mind the idea of him playing higher up the ground, he has the tank for it and would provide us with more intercept marking
Fritsch - he won't be getting much full forward time if we play 2 talls and he doesn't provide a lot of pressure at half forward

Mids: No change for now. Vanders has to use it better and can't turn to tackle (protecting his foot I'm sure). But his crunching tackles and pressure makes a big improvement.

Forwards: Tom might be in trouble. Bennell clearly is still a long way off defensively but I guess you give him another chance to see if his work rate lifts. Melksham struggling to find the ball and using it awfully.

Who's available:
Jones - unlikely to give much tackle pressure but at least would crack in which Melk hasn't been, unsure of how much skill he has left 
ANB - probably the logical pressure help but pray his ball use is better
Brown or Jackson - hmmm, Brown probably the safe option
Hunt - if we want to stay small and mobile

AvB probably one I’d be looking at, possibly Jones or ANB comes in. 

If TMac doesn’t get up I’d bring in Brown, two tall forwards. 

If TMac can't play next week I'd be backing in this week's original plan and swapping him for Brown.

If we're looking to drop players Melksham is, for the fourth consecutive week, at the top of the list. I expect him to say but I'd be happy to see Jones in that hybrid half-forward/midfield role.

Jetta and Brayshaw need to lift.

• Like 2

No change.  But Melksham and Brayshaw on notice. 

Tmcd probably has a corneal ebrasion (scratch of the cornea). Painful and weeps a lot with sensitivity to light. Need 2-3 days to repair. No contact. But ok to play next Sunday. Would be ok by Friday. 

I’d still keep Lockhart who did lock down on Ainsworth. He didn’t get it but neither did Ainsworth. Hibberd beat Sexton and rebounded. Jetta had his hands full with Rankine but understandably given Rankine is a talent. Nev is needed right now but starting to show signs of wear and tear this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demondan75 said:

Out - Jetta, Melksham and TMac.

In - Jones, Sparrow and Jackson.

I didn't watch the game live

....but melkshams stats don't look to bad for a fwd

14 disposals 5 kicks 9 handballs 3 marks 3 tackles 1 goal

everyone has canned him but there seem plenty of others who were pretty quiet

so can  someone explain pls?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

I didn't watch the game live

....but melkshams stats don't look to bad for a fwd

14 disposals 5 kicks 9 handballs 3 marks 3 tackles 1 goal

everyone has canned him but there seem plenty of others who were pretty quiet

so can  someone explain pls?

Zero defensive running. No urgency. One of our biggest problems this year is lack of fwd pressure and he is not helping with this

1 hour ago, Vineytime said:

Why would you play Smith forward?

Can someone please explain to me the fascination with this bloke? 

He's quick, has a good leap and his dad had a decent career with us.

Unfortunately he's not very good at football.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rednblueriseing said:

Out Melky and Lockhart Tmac 

In Jones Rivers and Brown 

Would love to play Jackson but not ready yet,

I think Kossi anit really ready ether but we don't have a better small creative forward 

This is my thoughts exactly

19 minutes ago, Elegt said:

Zero defensive running. No urgency. One of our biggest problems this year is lack of fwd pressure and he is not helping with this

maybe he was under instructions to not get too far up the ground and be able to present more as a forward?

i always hate it when we get a quick turnover and nobody is there

or maybe he is just lazy as you indicate?

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

He can mark, he's quick, would provide another option for our midfield and would free up Fritsch, Weideman and all the other forwards immensely.

He’s really not a very good footballer though Clint. 

• Like 2