Training Ground?

Romey

On 10/09/2024 at 20:42, chookrat said:

While the State Government has issues with its budget I would expect they will contribute a comparable level of funding to what they do for other Victorian based teams. Once the feasibility study is complete I'd expect the State Government to set aside funding in its budget to be released on the business case being approved. 

Expect, or hope???

23 hours ago, Its Time for Another said:

To be fair when the kid was born he’s talking about it was Israel and occupied by the indigenous population who I assume you are calling nowadays occupiers. Perhaps a discussion for a very different forum. There are plenty available elsewhere. 

Not to put too fine a point on this subject of controversy, I had always thought that the area was occupied by the Romans at the time (source: Life of Brian). 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, dice said:

Absolutely no hope this Caulfield pipe dream gets realised any time soon, imo:

• Relying on a broke state Labor government to chip in at least $50m
  • New MRC chairman, John Kanga, is a Collingwood supporter
  • The CRRT is chaired by a Sydney supporter, Sam Almaliki

You have conveniently overlooked that this facility is for community use also, not just for our training base. 

In addition football allegiances is a very spurious reason to use twice. About the lowest reason to vote No. 

This is not the MRO/ Tribunal   Chair both support Pies!! 

State Local and Federal funds plus MCC and ours are all potentially in the mix. 

My hopes annd expectations are that we will have our base before this decade is over. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, monoccular said:

Expect, or hope???

Not to put too fine a point on this subject of controversy, I had always thought that the area was occupied by the Romans at the time (source: Life of Brian). 

Correct! Amazing I made a small joke and it has developed into a debate on history of the Middle East. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, old dee said:

Correct! Amazing I made a small joke and it has developed into a debate on history of the Middle East. 

This IS an amazing Place OD That's for sure! What else you got?

Edited by Kent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kent said:

This IS an amazing Place OD That's for sure! What else you got?

Not much Kent too old to worry about it now. What I do know is in my lifetime it appears we have learnt little, are still killing each other on tribal grounds. 

Edited by old dee
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Not much Kent too old to worry about it now. What I do know is in my lifetime it appears we have learnt little, are still killing each other on tribal grounds. 

I take it that's a reference to Maynard and Moore. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

The filth and the toiges both want Gosch's. It should be an entertaining scrap.

and the minute it becomes available for the filth, watch all blocking of closing it off and building infrastructure around it suddenly disappear

58 minutes ago, demosaw said:

the issue with this sort of story is that it doesn't tell us anything that wasn't already known - there was always going to be a challenge about getting to the proposed $100m in terms of funding it

if, in mid-2025, it's officially 'over' as a dream of a home base at caulfield, i am firmly of the belief that we need to seriously consider abandoning a precinct in the inner city as there's no real options available and go whole-hog out at casey

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

and the minute it becomes available for the filth, watch all blocking of closing it off and building infrastructure around it suddenly disappear

the issue with this sort of story is that it doesn't tell us anything that wasn't already known - there was always going to be a challenge about getting to the proposed $100m in terms of funding it

if, in mid-2025, it's officially 'over' as a dream of a home base at caulfield, i am firmly of the belief that we need to seriously consider abandoning a precinct in the inner city as there's no real options available and go whole-hog out at casey

Sadly I agree re the magical openings that would appear if either the pies or tiges took Goschs over. If we cant get caulfield ( Im still hoping) couldnt we try some of the approaches they might make? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

Personally that’s about the most positive article I’ve read about the plan. I’m a believer that if it’s agreed that the project can go ahead then the money will come. 

• Like 4
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, demosaw said:

Good to read that the Caulfield Racecourse Reserve Trust is supportive of our proposal and that as a tenant the Melbourne Racing Club's view on the matter doesn't carry alot of weight.

Re funding, based on below it looks like most clubs have received in the order of $30 - 50m in State and Federal Government funding for facilities in the past 20 years. Given we had little funding in the 20 years preceding this it would be reasonable to assume that we would receive at the upper end of this minus the funding we received to develop Casey, so probably should expect in the order of $40m between State and Federal Government and a top up from Glen Eira Council. This leaves ~$30m from Members and Benefactors.

I don't buy onto the argument that State and Federal Government don't have the money.  Outside of Wartime or a Great Depression there is always funding available for this sort of project.

https://australiansportreflections.com/2024/02/28/update-on-federal-and-state-governments-funding-of-afl-and-nrl-high-performance-training-centres/?amp=1

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Personally, I believe the Caulfield home base being approved and put in place is the most important thing we can do to keep up with the bigger clubs.

I would hazard a guess that 40% of Victorian AFL players would live in councils like Bayside, Glen Eira, Stonnington & Monash. This would mean our home base/training facilities will be the closest for the majority of these areas. I imagine the number will only increase given the large salary cap increases, so the average AFL wage will be much higher than 10-15 years ago.

If we want to lure players from interstate or other Vic clubs this is going to be a huge factor in their decision making.

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

Some people are hard to please. It wasn’t written for us, but to inform the public who aren’t on demonland every day.  At least the reporter isn’t making 💩up…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When will we learn.

If you want funding you have to push the community involvement angle.

If we have one we're not great at publicising it

As a separate note MRC want a return on the land so who funds the rent on the admin centre, gym, oval etc. It won't be cheap

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

Personally that’s about the most positive article I’ve read about the plan. I’m a believer that if it’s agreed that the project can go ahead then the money will come. 

70k members chip in 200 each that's 14m + the coterie donations hopefully 5m the club has 10m thats nearly 30 the afl matches our 30 and the state and federal stump up the remaining 40m... done

• Haha 1
  • Clap 3

12 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

When will we learn.

If you want funding you have to push the community involvement angle.

If we have one we're not great at publicising it

As a separate note MRC want a return on the land so who funds the rent on the admin centre, gym, oval etc. It won't be cheap

If the AFL umpires end up being housed at Caulfield, I expect the AFL would stump up a fair amount for that alone.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, chookrat said:

Good to read that the Caulfield Racecourse Reserve Trust is supportive of our proposal and that as a tenant the Melbourne Racing Club's view on the matter doesn't carry alot of weight.

Re funding, based on below it looks like most clubs have received in the order of $30 - 50m in State and Federal Government funding for facilities in the past 20 years. Given we had little funding in the 20 years preceding this it would be reasonable to assume that we would receive at the upper end of this minus the funding we received to develop Casey, so probably should expect in the order of $40m between State and Federal Government and a top up from Glen Eira Council. This leaves ~$30m from Members and Benefactors.

I don't buy onto the argument that State and Federal Government don't have the money.  Outside of Wartime or a Great Depression there is always funding available for this sort of project.

https://australiansportreflections.com/2024/02/28/update-on-federal-and-state-governments-funding-of-afl-and-nrl-high-performance-training-centres/?amp=1

I'm not sure it needs to be deducted. The Casey development belongs to Casey, not us and that was a big part of the whole upgrade  - for community sporting facilities. For comparison, Deakin Uni received $8.6m to redevelop their oval (to exact MCG specs) and sporting facility to house the cats over summer. That's not counted in their endless handouts for taxpayer park facilities.

We've really only received a few mil for the Gosch's oval upgrade.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rednblueriseing said:

70k members chip in 200 each that's 14m + the coterie donations hopefully 5m the club has 10m thats nearly 30 the afl matches our 30 and the state and federal stump up the remaining 40m... done

It might be good to get someone onto the Board who has a significant fund-raising background. I assume it will be on the list of those Board Credentials soon to be published?

• Like 2

On 16/10/2024 at 09:08, whatwhat say what said:

he was born in 1948?

Re-Born in 1948 But dating back to the days of the Pharaoh’s and pre- Dating the Romans by quite some time.👍😁

56 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

It might be good to get someone onto the Board who has a significant fund-raising background. I assume it will be on the list of those Board Credentials soon to be published?

Did you have someone in mind that has had significant Fund Raising experience HTD?

Edited by DeeZone
Removed a.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, demosaw said:

"the funding model is unclear" because it hasn't been released by the club. We have 30mil in the bank, and they think it will cost 100mil, so therefore there is a 70 mil shortage. By the time the project starts there will be possibly state, federal, AFL, sponsor and fundraising money, and dare I say the 70mil will be covered. such a nothing story and continues the negative narrative surrounding the club atm

• Thanks 1
  • Clap 1