Training Ground?

Romey

9 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

The only insight here is why Eddie is so against Port Power wearing black and white. He thinks all teams that wear the same colours are the same!

Port Melbourne would have absolutely no interest in merging with us, even if they were down to their last dollar. That rules out North Port.

I doubt the City of Port Phillip have the funds nor the desire to spend mega bucks on Murphy Reserve. There's no strategic reason why that complex is any different to any number of potential suburban grounds, none of whom are all that interested handing themselves over to an AFL team.

The Fishermens Bend project is City of Melbourne. It does represent an opportunity in a lot of development money coming to an area. But I can't see them willing to carve out a footy oval. It's too valuable, and super expensive and time consuming to turn old industrial land to a footy oval too. Watch for them to build gardens and some astro turf. And even if they did go with a natural oval they would probably want it all for the new residents. The idea that going there would capture a bunch of new supporters don't seem logical to me either. The area will be a bunch of people moving from other suburbs who already have teams and plenty of people from overseas or interstate who already have sporting interests too. The idea that you can recreate the 1950's and just capture a new audience doesn't mesh with modern realities. 

Depends on your approach. Hawks have made Tas good and profitable and GWS go well in Canberra.  To say that FBend won't provide some supporters or new fans is simplistic and negative if you have a plan and cover the schools etc plus offer newcomers opportunities to be included a new audience can always go your way. It takes some  time and money initially but 20,000 new people are just that and AFL is as good a sport as any to start following. 

• Like 2

What’s with this ‘a home base for us all!!’ Nonsense?

It is an effing training and admin co-location. It’s not going to be a social club that you can have a $3 beer at like you may have thought you did in the 70s. That is not happening. 

So it is really about having control of a training base near Brunton Ave that we have this predisposition to ascertain. Meanwhile we have two sets of elite facilities, one of which is going to continue to have money poured into it 45 mins out at Casey. In a growth corridor where actual people live - if we care about that.

So we have our priorities right - having a competitive team to, you know, do the raison d’être of being a football club; WINNING FLAGS.

Our current facilities allow us to take time getting this decision oh so right - and we won’t have to rush into a decision to get our admin and FD into the same building closer to Brunton Ave to not talk to each other…

• Like 13
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, rpfc said:

It is an effing training and admin co-location. It’s not going to be a social club that you can have a $3 beer at like you may have thought you did in the 70s. That is not happening. 

Too right rpfc.

The days of having a social club are well behind us. AFL clubs are far too big nowadays to solely represent a singular community like they used to. We dont need a specific facility for the fans, we'll turn up to whatever they build for the club's base.

• Like 5

At the coaches talk I went to the other night as soon as it got to questions Richo spoke up and said he'd preempt the question they get at every one of these talks and address the home base issue. He said they don't have much to do with it and they have no idea on any progress but just said they'd like to see it done, wherever. They all agreed that the boys don't mind travelling to Casey because it's a quality facility. Other clubs like Essendon and Hawthorn have moved away from traditional areas to have a world class facility, they don't care so much where it is but rather how good the facilities are. Got the distinct impression they couldn't care less about being in the MCG precinct.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 8

13 minutes ago, furious d said:

At the coaches talk I went to the other night as soon as it got to questions Richo spoke up and said he'd preempt the question they get at every one of these talks and address the home base issue. He said they don't have much to do with it and they have no idea on any progress but just said they'd like to see it done, wherever. They all agreed that the boys don't mind travelling to Casey because it's a quality facility. Other clubs like Essendon and Hawthorn have moved away from traditional areas to have a world class facility, they don't care so much where it is but rather how good the facilities are. Got the distinct impression they couldn't care less about being in the MCG precinct.

That is very similar to the conversation I had with someone from the club last year. This G area compulsion is from a vocal minority that seem to have the ear of the board. They are locked in the 1950's. The G area vanished when we missed out on Olympic Park. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What about Victoria park? Inner city, ground at afl standard, train line...

Collingwood should [censored] off back there and we'll use that space for our own facilities. 

In all seriousness caulfield race course does seem very sensible. But i disagree with rfcp - it does need a social club for fans etc. This is where we will go the sunday morning nursing hangovers or no sleep after a flag... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, biggestred said:

What about Victoria park? Inner city, ground at afl standard, train line...

Collingwood should [censored] off back there and we'll use that space for our own facilities. 

In all seriousness caulfield race course does seem very sensible. But i disagree with rfcp - it does need a social club for fans etc. This is where we will go the sunday morning nursing hangovers or no sleep after a flag... 

One day of the year hardly justifies having a social club facility. I have a number of friends who are long term members of clubs i.e Richmond and Collingwood who never go to the social clubs they are a  hang over from the 1970's. They are way more concerned about maintaining their seats on game day, too many members is their problem. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, AzzKikA said:

Jnr I work with governments in the medical construction industry and I tell you what governments are great to deal with when they know what they want and when they want it now.

Perhaps -  when they want something.

Totally different for an elite sporting club (male) that is seeking grants from 3 levels of government and a major sporting body.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

Perhaps -  when they want something.

Totally different for an elite sporting club (male) that is seeking grants from 3 levels of government and a major sporting body.

As soon as one level changes its mind the project fails. I am glad I am not trying the get this up.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, rpfc said:

So it is really about having control of a training base near Brunton Ave that we have this predisposition to ascertain. Meanwhile we have two sets of elite facilities, one of which is going to continue to have money poured into it 45 mins out at Casey. In a growth corridor where actual people live - if we care about that.

So we have our priorities right - having a competitive team to, you know, do the raison d’être of being a football club; WINNING FLAGS.

Our current facilities allow us to take time getting this decision oh so right - and we won’t have to rush into a decision to get our admin and FD into the same building closer to Brunton Ave to not talk to each other…

You make some interesting points. 

There's a bit of a misconception that the facilities we are using now are substandard. As I understand it that's not correct. They are both excellent and the Club has spent $100's of thousands in the past couple of years updating the equipment at AAMI as well as the new facilities at Casey. Keep in mind that if we've put in that sort of money we are one of 3 or 4 clubs contributing to that investment at AAMI. So a lot of money has been spent there. 

When Richard Colless was the Swans President he put a syndicate together and they bought a property in the hear of Kings Cross and did it up as the Swans Social Club. It was quite impressive. You'd be very happy if it was a Demons Social Club. It was never supported by the Swans members and supporters and ended up closing and was a financial disaster. A lot of us have had a fantasy about having a permanent Social Club but II agree with you it might be no more than a fantasy that would be a financial disaster. I can't see why we can't set up a room like the Jim Stynes room at the G as a social Club post games. I doubt many people will turn up to the MCG precinct outside of game days. 

The main benefit will be getting the Admin and FD under the one roof. I hope it's on the AAMI car park overlooking Gosch's. That would be my pick. Otherwise like others I suspect it's more likely to end up in the new Sthn Stand. Facilities for the club and for MCC members and possibly the public in some form. 

Edited by Its Time for Another
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Its Time for Another said:

You make some interesting points. 

There's a bit of a misconception that the facilities we are using now are substandard. As I understand it that's not correct. They are both excellent and the Club has spent $100's of thousands in the past couple of years updating the equipment at AAMI as well as the new facilities at Casey. Keep in mind that if we've put in that sort of money we are one of 3 or 4 clubs contributing to that investment at AAMI. So a lot of money has been spent there. 

When Richard Colless was the Swans President he put a syndicate together and they bought a property in the hear of Kings Cross and did it up as the Swans Social Club. It was quite impressive. You'd be very happy if it was a Demons Social Club. It was never supported by the Swans members and supporters and ended up closing and was a financial disaster. A lot of us have had a fantasy about having a permanent Social Club but II agree with you it might be no more than a fantasy that would be a financial disaster. I can't see why we can't set up a room like the Jim Stynes room at the G as a social Club post games. I doubt many people will turn up to the MCG precinct outside of game days. 

The main benefit will be getting the Admin and FD under the one roof. I hope it's on the AAMI car park overlooking Gosch's. That would be my pick. Otherwise like others I suspect it's more likely to end up in the new Sthn Stand. Facilities for the club and for MCC members and possibly the public in some form. 

The Players Canteen area could easily be a Social Club after match facility,when needed 

The days of drinking 30 pots and driving home are over

8 hours ago, Its Time for Another said:

When Richard Colless was the Swans President he put a syndicate together and they bought a property in the hear of Kings Cross and did it up as the Swans Social Club. It was quite impressive. You'd be very happy if it was a Demons Social Club. It was never supported by the Swans members and supporters and ended up closing and was a financial disaster.

I can see why this was doomed to failure. It would be the equivalent of us plonking a social club in Fitzroy or something.

Looking at other clubs, the social clubs appear to be little more than a game day operation.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The Players Canteen area could easily be a Social Club after match facility,when needed 

The days of drinking 30 pots and driving home are over

Speak for yourself. My first ever day at the cricket was the 1975 Boxing Day test. I was driven there in the back of a panel van. No seat no seat belts in those days. The guys I went with took their own esky. You could do that back then. It might even have been two and drank the contents dry. Then having sat in the sun all day drinking probably 30 cans each they got in the panel van and drove home. No breath tests in those days. Ahhh the good old days. Have to admit I never did anything like that again. 6 kids in my school year died in car accidents in the first year out of school. I  have never been a drink driver.

Sorry I digress. Back to training bases. 

Edited by Its Time for Another
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 2

The days of social clubs are long gone. Nowadays people engage with the club online be it insta, facebook, demonland etc. and of course on gameday.

I want a training base for this club because the only way to have whole of club connection is if everyone is under the one roof. I don't like having the AFL, AFLW and admin teams separated. 

Nothing wrong with Casey as a facility. The oval is immaculate and from what little i've seen of the gym area it looks pretty good and fit for purpose. Pity about the windy conditions though. There's a weird microclimate out there. always gusting. Haven't been to Goosh's this year but i understand its fit for purpose as well.

1 hour ago, BDA said:

The days of social clubs are long gone. Nowadays people engage with the club online be it insta, facebook, demonland etc. and of course on gameday.

I want a training base for this club because the only way to have whole of club connection is if everyone is under the one roof. I don't like having the AFL, AFLW and admin teams separated. 

Nothing wrong with Casey as a facility. The oval is immaculate and from what little i've seen of the gym area it looks pretty good and fit for purpose. Pity about the windy conditions though. There's a weird microclimate out there. always gusting. Haven't been to Goosh's this year but i understand its fit for purpose as well.

Casey whilst good facilities etc is too far away,  whilst start of the art facilities is no guarantee of success eg Collingwood 1 x flag in 20+ years, we are falling behind when you consider tigers & dogs getting multi million funding to upgrade their grounds inc Cats who will have a 40k stadium to train on plus the right to host home finals vs Josh’s paddock plus a 50+ drive to Casey… 

Edited by Demonsone
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, old dee said:

Because they have an existing ground it is that simple. We have ground zero.

True, but we have had decades to sort it out and still have nothing to show for it.

Plus Kate told us years ago now on being appointed pres that we can trust her as she is the guru on these matters, even told us she was the one to get the Australian open tennis centre development off the ground. Also told us she gave goody the belief he needed to win our mens flag and that she had worked from the start to get our AFLW flag ... we are lucky to have her

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Demonsone said:

Casey whilst good facilities etc is too far away, ........

Funny,  the good folk of the South East of Melbourne would disagree.

I think Melbourne is too far away, I suppose it is a matter of perspective.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Demonsone said:

Casey whilst good facilities etc is too far away,  whilst start of the art facilities is no guarantee of success eg Collingwood 1 x flag in 20+ years, we are falling behind when you consider tigers & dogs getting multi million funding to upgrade their grounds inc Cats who will have a 40k stadium to train on plus the right to host home finals vs Josh’s paddock plus a 50+ drive to Casey… 

Richo stated recently that the players don't mind travelling to Casey. It's difficult for supporters to get there though so i agree on that. No public transport makes it doubly difficult.

And I'm not sure our facilities are of lower standard than other clubs. 

The problem is we have no site. We have no site because we are wedded to the MGC precinct. Very difficult to secure a spot there. I reckon we should look elsewhere. Once the site is identified and agreed i believe the funding will follow

• Clap 1

22 minutes ago, layzie said:

While maybe not essential it would be nice to have some kind of social venue as another means to generating revenue for the club on match days and maybe even as a spot to go during the week. 

Money. Pit.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, Its Time for Another said:

Speak for yourself. My first ever day at the cricket was the 1975 Boxing Day test. I was driven there in the back of a panel van. No seat no seat belts in those days. The guys I went with took their own esky. You could do that back then. It might even have been two and drank the contents dry. Then having sat in the sun all day drinking probably 30 cans each they got in the panel van and drove home. No breath tests in those days. Ahhh the good old days. Have to admit I never did anything like that again. 6 kids in my school year died in car accidents in the first year out of school. I  have never been a drink driver.

Remember those coffinl eskies that would hold 40 Big steal cans (Depth Chargers) 2 blokes would carry them in over the shoulder!!

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Its Time for Another said:

Steve Harvey What GIF