WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - HARLEY BENNELL

Tinks

20 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

At the start I didn't want him.

But now I do. I want us to be bold with our recruiting and start to take risks on the Harley Bennells and Marlion Picketts of the world.

I’m still laughing.  Drugs. Alcohol. Injury.  No way.  

• Like 1

Tremendous upside, costs nothing, i'm still on board with rolling the dice here. one year, under one of the best fitness guys going around, lets get him fit and firing. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, A F said:

We have different opinions. I wouldn't say it's a snap judgement.

I was sceptical in his first game or two and nothing I've seen in the following 10 or so has changed my thinking.

He's a good athlete with some exciting characteristics, but that's not enough.

Fair enough AF, i hope he can grow into a player thats hard to match up and gives us an extra point of difference up forward. Time will tell.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I heard his manager talking today and he said Bennell is over here and he is looking after his kid, I think that it was his kid.

He is fit and there are 5 clubs thinking about him and he is pretty sure he will play in 2020.

Bennell, knows this could be his last chance at playing AFL. He seems to be doing all the right things, such as trying to get his body right, to give him the best possible chance, of continuing, his carrer for the future. give him a one year deal and see if it works for parties? 

If we don't take the chance then someone like the tigers, hawks will, and we ust might regret it once again, like over looking Sydney stack.

We need to give the guy a chance.

• Like 5

I don't get the fixed view that some hold regarding Harley. 

When was the last time he made a mistake? Injury aside. A long time ago. 

People change. Harley has a small family. His mistakes are in the past. 

Injury is the only concern, but I'd jump at signing him on a one year deal to see if he could get his body right. 

The Richmonds and Collingwoods of this world seem to have little issue giving players a second and third chance. (Cousins, Kraks). And even though some don't work out, they remain strong as clubs and continue to perform. 

Meanwhile, we have supporters who would rather the feel good Billy Stretches and ANB's of this world. Great characters, professional trainers. Yadayada. But will do very little for us in the way of influencing a game.

Every team is trying to get a leg up on the other. It's about time we tried something against the grain. 

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 20

To be pragmatic about this, of course  the club should be wary of injuries and baggage that comes with him, the upside is of course pretty big, imagine if he plays 15-20 games, the impact would be significant,

But we are not that club. I want him, but the club will go with others.

On 10/18/2019 at 5:21 AM, stevethemanjordan said:

I don't get the fixed view that some hold regarding Harley. 

When was the last time he made a mistake? Injury aside. A long time ago. 

People change. Harley has a small family. His mistakes are in the past. 

Injury is the only concern, but I'd jump at signing him on a one year deal to see if he could get his body right. 

The Richmonds and Collingwoods of this world seem to have little issue giving players a second and third chance. (Cousins, Kraks). And even though some don't work out, they remain strong as clubs and continue to perform. 

Meanwhile, we have supporters who would rather the feel good Billy Stretches and ANB's of this world. Great characters, professional trainers. Yadayada. But will do very little for us in the way of influencing a game.

Every team is trying to get a leg up on the other. It's about time we tried something against the grain. 

Not that long ago STMJ

But paragraph 2 of the bolded may offer a light bulb moment of hope

Don't get why so many are so keen on him, and are down on the club for not taking a risk on him (even though they still could??). The guy hasn't played AFL well for 4 season, the 2 games he had for Freo were in 2017 and weren't anything remotely special. I get that he's had massive talent in the past, and his game against Geelong in 2014 was seriously one of the better games you'll ever see by an individual. But it's been 4 season, since he's played a good game!

Besides the massive injury risk, that he is yet to prove that he's actually over - Yes they think they've found the latest problem, but he still hasn't even ran yet, so does anyone know for sure the treatment worked? But what toll have missing so many years taken from that talent, will he still have the same speed, the ability to take a bump, run all day etc. I think it'd be crazy of any club to consider him until he's shown something in the pre-season that suggests he could play again, otherwise I'd be waiting until the mid-season draft if he manages to play a fair few games at a lower level. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Don't get why so many are so keen on him, and are down on the club for not taking a risk on him (even though they still could??). The guy hasn't played AFL well for 4 season, the 2 games he had for Freo were in 2017 and weren't anything remotely special. I get that he's had massive talent in the past, and his game against Geelong in 2014 was seriously one of the better games you'll ever see by an individual. But it's been 4 season, since he's played a good game!

Reminds me of a punt Hawthorn took once on a fat ex-footballer.