Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Martin

ding

52 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

There is some thought that GC will select him in the PSD, put him on a 1 year contract, then he becomes a restricted free agent at the end of 2020. They'll then get a 1st round compo pick, due to what Carlton are offering him and knowing the AFL will look after them.

Wouldn't matter if he plays most of the year in the NEAFL, or if he's a true pro they'll get another year out of him. Good chance GC will hold onto him, unless his wage demands are just too ridiculous, which is why I think we're being counted out. 

That would be a great result, if we can't convince him to come to us on a reasonable deal.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

There is some thought that GC will select him in the PSD, put him on a 1 year contract, then he becomes a restricted free agent at the end of 2020. They'll then get a 1st round compo pick, due to what Carlton are offering him and knowing the AFL will look after them.

Wouldn't matter if he plays most of the year in the NEAFL, or if he's a true pro they'll get another year out of him. Good chance GC will hold onto him, unless his wage demands are just too ridiculous, which is why I think we're being counted out. 

Problem is he can nominate his salary and that may be too high for them. And if he doesn't play its wasted money.

7 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Stop talking sense.

I have hated one club all my life and that is the blue scum.

I don't hate the players, just the club and its supporters.

Listening to them again this morning and their arrogance, just heightens my dislike of them.

They are rejoicing in the fact that they are going to screw the bottom club out of a number 1 pick player and get him for free. Their unbridled joy is sickening in the extreme.

Personally, I would be prepared to take him and let him stand out of footy for 2 years, if he wouldn't come to the party, just to stuff them up.

However, you are talking sense. We would have to overpay a player who has not earned it and it could upset our culture, salary structure and our players and for that reason only, if we can't convince him to come to us for a fair deal, let him go and so be it.

I hope another good player would then pop up that GC don't want ,or can't take and we get him instead.

I then continue to hope that the blue scum fail for many years to come.

Go Dees.

carlton definitely gaming (screwing) the suns.

if they value him at $700k they should have been prepared to offer a commensurate trade value. They did not, and they had the ability to.

I hope suns pick him up in psd (probably a slim chance)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

Problem is he can nominate his salary and that may be too high for them. And if he doesn't play its wasted money.

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

plus he can nominate a contract length of > 1 year, so he won't be a FA in 2020 if suns pick him in psd

Both spot on, but GC might call is bluff and say they'll definitely select him no matter the price, in which I'm sure he'd then alter the contract length down to get out of there in a year. Carlton are still in the box seat, clearly they had a heap of money set aside for both Martin and Papley. It's just a thought that's running around at the moment that GC would be best to try and keep him for a year then cash in on the draft pick they'd get.

This doesn't sound right, but knowing the AFL it could be, I heard today that the AFL has told GC, they will give them a compo pick for Martin next year, after their first round pick, if they take him in the PSD and lose him the next year as FA.

That means GC take him in the PSD, give him a 1 year contract and then if the blue scum take him as a FA next year they will get a top compo pick. The scum could still get him for nothing but at least GC won't be screwed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

This doesn't sound right, but knowing the AFL it could be, I heard today that the AFL has told GC, they will give them a compo pick for Martin next year, after their first round pick, if they take him in the PSD and lose him the next year as FA.

That means GC take him in the PSD, give him a 1 year contract and then if the blue scum take him as a FA next year they will get a top compo pick. The scum could still get him for nothing but at least GC won't be screwed.

can you clarify that if he nominates say $700k/yr for 2 years, that he could turn around and only sign for 1 year with the suns. Wouldn't this be in breach of the rules. And yeah i know that the afl has elastic rules. comments?

3 hours ago, Dr.D said:

he has no ambition because he wants to join carlton? Dude, we came 17th!

you could easily make an argument that they are closer to a flag than we are. You're too blinded by your loyalty to the dees that you can't properly evaluate our list and thus your comment about martin. I repeat...17th. 

if anything, our players demonstrate less ambition than any team in the league. we've got a top list on paper but came 17th. You can only talk excuses with injuries etc. if we came 9-12th but to finish 17th is a bloody disgrace.  

Don’t call me “dude” dude!

I’m not one of the myopic pessimists on this site unable to integrate data beyond this season into a more balance view of our prospects.

I’m well aware we finished 17th, you (and your fellow myopic pessimists) don’t need to repeat it over and over... we’re all aware of the [censored] year we just had. But prior to that we’d been improving year on year for 4 years and in 2018 we were in the preliminary final. 

So a balanced view would take that all into account, and on that basis put us well ahead of Carlton, despite the horror of this year.

so go demons. ?

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

can you clarify that if he nominates say $700k/yr for 2 years, that he could turn around and only sign for 1 year with the suns. Wouldn't this be in breach of the rules. And yeah i know that the afl has elastic rules. comments?

Think the Suns would be trying to force him to sign on for 1 year prior to the PSD, just using the threat of them picking him up then holding him to the 2 year contract, otherwise he'll find himself locked in their for those 2 years and going through the same process next trade period. Would work for the Suns because surely a player wouldn't sit out or play badly when that much money is on the line?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Win4theAges said:

I will be filthy with our club if they allow him to walk freely to the blues with out asking for something in return.

Even if we are not interested, we can't let oppourtunites to swap some picks in draft order to slip. Or do we want to be known as the doormats of the AFL, show some fair dinkum sack Dees.

Time to show us supporters you mean business Perty, stamp your authority on the joint.

15 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Of course we can, right up to nat draft night. Doesn't have to be completely skewed, just nicely in our favour. Eg. Our current 4th rounder + 2020 2nd round pick from Freo for their 2020 1st rounder. They can back themselves to improve next year.

We're restricted in trade picks because we traded our 2020 1st already and that means we can't trade any other 2020 picks (I incorrectly suggested a trade involving them earlier).

Right now the only picks we can trade are 3 and 8. Impossible to see Carlton coming up with something attractive to interest us.

I'm not totally against 3 for 6 and 2020 1st with GWS because it would put our other 2020 picks back in trade play now and I think the talk of 2020 picks slipping back is exaggerated.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Where abouts? If we can drag him to Eastern Europe I think our odds of a successful kidnapping increase significantly

How about to Calabria  ?? They love a good kidnapping down there !!!!!

44 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

'Elastic' is stretching it to say the least DC

43 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Don’t call me “dude” dude!

I’m not one of the myopic pessimists on this site unable to integrate data beyond this season into a more balance view of our prospects.

I’m well aware we finished 17th, you (and your fellow myopic pessimists) don’t need to repeat it over and over... we’re all aware of the [censored] year we just had. But prior to that we’d been improving year on year for 4 years and in 2018 we were in the preliminary final. 

So a balanced view would take that all into account, and on that basis put us well ahead of Carlton, despite the horror of this year.

so go demons. ?

I have no idea what you and the good Dr. are discussing Paul but i'm giving you top marks for using a phrase that's quickly fading from many supporter's memory banks vs that other sissy and very lame abbreviated version that's crept in over the last decade or so.  Well done sir!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, No10 said:

What's most likely LH? You seem more across player movement/contracts than most.

Would GC really use their first pick on him? Let Anderson slide to 3? Or will he more likely just re-sign?

If PSD and GC select him, what does that mean for his free agency status next year? If he leaves they'll get another pick 1 or 2 anyway a year later?

If GC pass, would we need to take him at 3? Or 8?

Seems our draft position has so many potential strategies it hurts my brain.

If he goes into the National draft I reckon GCS will let him go rather than use a round 1 pick and we won't take him either. 

If he goes into the PSD and GCS draft him he has to sign for two years so the next years FA status lapses.  It is then active at the end of 2021. 

If he is drafted by GCS in the PSD and he refuses to play for them he sits out of the AFL for two years.  Not sure if he then goes into the draft or he is still a player that GCS can trade.

If GCS are adamant about drafting him his best bet is to sign a one year contract with them.  So in 2020 he will be an FA, can go to the club of his choice and GCS get a compensation pick.

Hope that clarifies it a little. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Dr.D said:

he has no ambition because he wants to join carlton? Dude, we came 17th!

you could easily make an argument that they are closer to a flag than we are. You're too blinded by your loyalty to the dees that you can't properly evaluate our list and thus your comment about martin. I repeat...17th. 

if anything, our players demonstrate less ambition than any team in the league. we've got a top list on paper but came 17th. You can only talk excuses with injuries etc. if we came 9-12th but to finish 17th is a bloody disgrace.  

Next year will tell the tale.

3 hours ago, daisycutter said:

Not sure. I suppose they would bring in an arbitrator to do what they want. They make the rules and we know how they can bend them.

OK. So he is there and we can make a play... if we want... but do we want him? Does he fill a need? Is he worth the coin?

He strikes me as a ball tickler. Big on potential but not much on action. 

As it is spring and racing season I'd say 'prefer others'. Let Carlton pay overs for someone that won't make a difference to the team, and may cost them a good player come next contract signing time. 

Edit - and pretend we are going to go hard at him to drive up his price

Edited by Uncle Fester

3 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Think the Suns would be trying to force him to sign on for 1 year prior to the PSD, just using the threat of them picking him up then holding him to the 2 year contract, otherwise he'll find himself locked in their for those 2 years and going through the same process next trade period. Would work for the Suns because surely a player wouldn't sit out or play badly when that much money is on the line?

makes sense.

2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

I have no idea what you and the good Dr. are discussing Paul but i'm giving you top marks for using a phrase that's quickly fading from many supporter's memory banks vs that other sissy and very lame abbreviated version that's crept in over the last decade or so.  Well done sir!

Thanks Rusty! 
Not a fan of “Dees” either, only use it when loudly acting like a pompous git will really [censored] off the Dons/Hawks/Cats fans around me. ;)

There’s something about being beaten by a bunch of effeminate snobs that really upsets them... ?

Edited by PaulRB
  • Haha 1

This is a strange one.  If I was Carlton, I would bank the 700K for use on keeping Cripps, Kurnows Mackay etc.  He really is worth a second rounder, and to pay him like a serious first rounder is entirely overs. 

The Suns playing hard ball to ‘earn respect’ is just childish posturing by the weakiings on the playground.  Would you take Langdon or Martin?  Would you take Papley or Martin?  Looks for the most part like a JKH upgrade, some nice moments but not the superstar he promised to be.  He is not worth a round 1 pick.   I would rather rookie Mr Achillies.

It seems that Carlton is prepared to pay Jack Martin $750,000.00 which is what he would be worth if he played at his best week in, week out, which hasn’t come remotely close to doing in the six years at Gold Coast.

On that basis, I can understand Melbourne not being interested in Martin - he would come at a cost far beyond his worth. 

• Like 2