Sideline Symbols To Revolutionise Game Day Coaching

Demonland

These may be gimmicks for well organised teams.  However, the runner has been almost an in-game coach, particularly in newer teams or cellar dwellars.  Getting kids to run to the right spots, or to initiate certain plays.  With runners to spend less time on the ground, bottom teams will benefit, whereas well drilled and well led teams not so much.  Think of the games where we should have flooded behind the ball, didn't and it cost us a close one.  Now McCartney could put up on the board 'X", 'squirrel' 'eggplant' and the team would know what to do.

I hope it is of little benefit to us, and that we have leaders in every line that know what needs to get done.  Perhaps it could be useful to signal rotations??  And do we really want the players all looking for the magic symbols to see what needs to get done, or simply get the footy and follow the plan?

Otherwise, it will be an annoyance. I hate to think how toss heads like Ling will wax on about whatever symbol is on the board.  I hate 7's team, and this will give them something more to spout on about that is not the game.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

... I hate to think how toss heads like Ling will wax on about whatever symbol is on the board.  I hate 7's team, and this will give them something more to spout on about that is not the game.

Agree.  But at least that will mean a little less time boasting about their own glorious past, what a genius coach they would be and who they know.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Spot on. In all of the confusion onfield, do our players now need to interpret redemptive signalling from Mummy and Daddy on the boundary? Wouldn't it be nice if we were the only club that did not complicate the purpose of the game, namely: beat your opponent to the ball and win the game. 

Image result for freud

At tennis playing doubles my son and I use codes 44b 127a 13c etc etc-   confuses the hell out of the opposition. Code breaker odd number hard down the T - even number swing wide. That's it!

I can imagine sides having massive convoluted signs that basically mean nothing. Or really simple like Eiffel tower - Max in the ruck. Prussian blue block Preuss in the ruck, simples!

Edited by ManDee
Typo

On 2/21/2019 at 12:28 PM, DeeSpencer said:

Maybe the most AFL part of this is instead of letting teams come up with their own symbols they are going to have a choice of 40 AFL approved emojis (but don't call them emojis).

A shame because there has been some great ones in college football.

playcall1.jpg

playcall4.jpg

They're great, I would like to see that.

It will all be fun but what happens when opposition teams work out the code? Will we have to change every week? What happens if the batteries fail? Will we revive the WW11 codebreakers? How many different plays can there be? Why doesn't some genius create mini headphones so that messages can be broadcast to all or be directed at one player only? Will the signs eventually be shown on the big screen and the game stop so that players can decipher the messages and the commentators comment? Will there be one for the umpires? What if the sign contradicts the runner? What if the game is spoiled as a spectacle? Who bloody cares?

Why should we let the AFL, the supposed custodians, ruin a great game? We are footy, unique to our land and we should not imitate those other inferior sports. Another Shocking Hocking idea. Send him back to the back pocket so that we can reclaim our heritage.

Long live footy..

3 hours ago, tiers said:

It will all be fun but what happens when opposition teams work out the code? Will we have to change every week? What happens if the batteries fail? Will we revive the WW11 codebreakers? How many different plays can there be? Why doesn't some genius create mini headphones so that messages can be broadcast to all or be directed at one player only? Will the signs eventually be shown on the big screen and the game stop so that players can decipher the messages and the commentators comment? Will there be one for the umpires? What if the sign contradicts the runner? What if the game is spoiled as a spectacle? Who bloody cares?

Why should we let the AFL, the supposed custodians, ruin a great game? We are footy, unique to our land and we should not imitate those other inferior sports. Another Shocking Hocking idea. Send him back to the back pocket so that we can reclaim our heritage.

Long live footy..

Tiers my boy, I like your style. 

On 2/22/2019 at 8:20 AM, hemingway said:

Yes, it was melodramatic but sometimes it helps to make a point

I agree with some initiatives, particularly where there is an obvious problem. Players around the ball and flooding is one example. Rule changes that reduce congestion and encourage positional football are good for footy.

The introduction of AFLW has been a great initiative, and reflected the need for community change, gender equity, and female participation and support.

On the other hand, I do not see an improvement to the game coming from AFLX. I do not see an improvement to the game from LED tactic boards on the sidelines.  

These are gimmicks and inventions that distract from the game as we know and love.  

Is the game less popular, have gate attendances or TV ratings dropped? 

Do you have the football public clamouring for change?

Does the footy public want more "entertainment" irrespective of its nature or does the public just want to watch a good game of footy?

In society we the domination and influence of corporate interests and those with a vested pecuniary interest  More often than not, these interests do not align with the broader interests, the public interests, or, in this case, the good of the game. 

The only change i want in our great game is The MFC Premiership Cup count to move on from 12 

13, 14, 15 etc....

9 hours ago, radar said:

Soccer has changed about 5 rules in 100 years

As much as I dislike the AFL's obsession with changing rules, I reckon this is partly why I don't like soccer (sorry, must be sportingly-correct, football).  For a start they could widen the goals so there is less chance of me falling asleep. Likewise basket ball could raise the hoops. /end-rant