Josh Mahoney - Trade Radio 2/10/18

Watts the matter

As ever Josh is very open and informative. Re the main issue, Step 1 in the process is Jesse making a decision. If he decides he wants to go then Josh and his people get  to work to get Steven May. As for May himself, from the brief highlight tapes I have seen of him he is clearly a big physical crash and bash type player. He doesn’t strike one as being hugely skilful to be honest. He disposals by foot in particular look a bit floaty and imprecise. Oscar looks to be better in that regard. But Josh says they have been following him for a while so they must see more to him. I guess I trust the back room people.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stretch Johnson said:

No

He's an rfa

No he isn't. Hogan was taken in the 2012 mini draft. Means that 2019 would only be his 7th completed season at the club. Trade would still be required, though we'd hold a weaker hand.

35 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Interesting. My major takeaways:

1. Hogan out, May in has to be at least 70% I think. And they must feel confident that they'll land May. Sounds like they had him lined up as a major target post 2019 season.

2. Preuss is either not a lock or they are willing to negotiate hard with North to get him for a good price. I wonder who the other options are?

3. They know they need more outside class and pace. Lots of mentions of balancing the list. Think it takes more than just Kade Kolo to achieve that, very keen to see who else is on the target list.

Jay Lockhart for one IMO. Will ask for the rights to him from Gold Coast in the May/KK trade.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, London Demon said:

As ever Josh is very open and informative. Re the main issue, Step 1 in the process is Jesse making a decision. If he decides he wants to go then Josh and his people get  to work to get Steven May. As for May himself, from the brief highlight tapes I have seen of him he is clearly a big physical crash and bash type player. He doesn’t strike one as being hugely skilful to be honest. He disposals by foot in particular look a bit floaty and imprecise. Oscar looks to be better in that regard. But Josh says they have been following him for a while so they must see more to him. I guess I trust the back room people.

Well seriously...…. If Buddy or Darling or Kennedy or Hawkins were to line up on either 

Oscar Or May ….. Who would you choose??????

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Well seriously...…. If Buddy or Darling or Kennedy or Hawkins were to line up on either 

Oscar Or May ….. Who would you choose??????

May is 193 cm and not as tall as Oscar, Jake Lever or Sam Frost

I know that just one consideration but he seems undersized as a key defender to me - having said that obviously our Football dept don't see that as being a problem

I cant see how he helps cover Tom Lynch, Buddy, Mason Cox, Joe Daniher, Ben Brown - these guys are all nudging or over 200cm 

2 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

No he's not, was first on an AFL list in 2014, so will only have 7 years of service at the end of next year. That's the same way the AFL treated the GC guys who were pre-listed so Hogan will be the same. 

Apologies, there are a few journos that have the wrong end of the stick as well.

47 minutes ago, Sydee said:

May is 193 cm and not as tall as Oscar, Jake Lever or Sam Frost

I know that just one consideration but he seems undersized as a key defender to me - having said that obviously our Football dept don't see that as being a problem

I cant see how he helps cover Tom Lynch, Buddy, Mason Cox, Joe Daniher, Ben Brown - these guys are all nudging or over 200cm 

Go watch the grand final where 194cm Tom Barrass gives Mason Cox a bath.

10cm can easily be made up jumping with 1 arm to punch compared to 2 arms to mark. And that's even before you get in to positioning, body work and reading the play.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Go watch the grand final where 194cm Tom Barrass gives Mason Cox a bath.

10cm can easily be made up jumping with 1 arm to punch compared to 2 arms to mark. And that's even before you get in to positioning, body work and reading the play.

i think may is really about 196/197, just short in the neck/head area ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Hard to believe May will be getting at least the same coin as Hogan, and maybe more. Way over-valued IMO.

He won't be over the life of the contract but as we're getting him in contract - we need to pay him the last year of his GC contract which was over-inflated just to keep him to stay. Melbourne aren't offering him big $, he'll be on less than Lever - he is coming to win a flag. 

• Like 1

The Big questions are assuming: IN: May, Kolodjashnij, Pruess

OUT: Hogan, VandenBerg, Kent, Tyson, Pedersen, Bugg, Mackena, King, Filipovic, Balic, Vince

I Know we will Probably be getting more draft picks given the delisted players and retirements, but if feel we still need and decent seasoned players?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, London Demon said:

Thanks, cause thats my question. Is everyone happy with a May instead of a Hogan? I dont know much about May, but ive heard hes lazy? Also pretty average disposal. (sounds like the Demons of old). Not sure how accurate that is or whether it has to do with playing for GC. To me Hogan is a gun power forward, of which we have none. Just had his best year with us i think. But if hes gonna go, id rather it be sooner than later i guess.

1 hour ago, deefella said:

The Big questions are assuming: IN: May, Kolodjashnij, Pruess

OUT: Hogan, VandenBerg, Kent, Tyson, Pedersen, Bugg, Mackena, King, Filipovic, Balic, Vince

I Know we will Probably be getting more draft picks given the delisted players and retirements, but if feel we still need and decent seasoned players?

Great listening to Mahoney. Very open and honest discussion.  

Affirmed all the player potential trade news and other opportunities.  

I like the confirmation about Kolodjashnij medical checks  

Confirmation that Hunt is required and a role is there once he gets back to his best  

• Like 2