Farewell Jesse Hogan

wizardinoz

2 hours ago, Ugottobekidding said:

Fair point... one never really felt his comittment.

Definitely been dealt a raw deal in life the last few years so hard to begrudge.

Thought he'd be an important piece of a MFC Premiership, if it's not to be, just need to ensure he's replaced with another important piece. onward and upwards.

The two- year extension he signed was always a bit of an alarm bell. One foot in and one foot out was Jesse. Never truly committed for the long haul.

Talented player but I’ve long felt he won’t become the superstar many claim he will be. There are some problematic flaws there. Can’t get the journey from outside 50, drops the head when the pill isn’t delivered lace out, an oddly poor overhead mark at the highest point. And the record irrefutably shows he had a tendency to go missing in the bigger games. 

Personally I think we’re doing very well to offload him now while the hype is still there and Freo are desperate. A lot of our more emotional supporters can’t see through the fog of disappointment but this trade could very well reap the blessing that sees us win our first premiership in 55 years. 

I see only good things coming from it if we play our cards right.

Edited by EnterTheDragon
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, EnterTheDragon said:

The two- year extension he signed was always a bit of an alarm bell. One foot in and one foot out was Jesse. Never truly committed for the long haul.

True, but players often sign those types of deals.  Both McDonald's only signed two year extensions back in 2016 and, while they have both committed again this season (Tom for 4, Oscar for another 2), I don't think him signing for just a few years was that big of a deal back then.  I can understand why it would look that way in hindsight though.

• Like 4

You wonder about motivations, if all of this is true.

Playing finals?  Stay at Melbourne

Play with your team mates? Stay at Melbourne

Repay the faith, development and care offered during the last few horrible years?  Stay at Melbourne.

Go home (and spend half your time travelling interstate ) go to Freo

Play under a coach that has never used key forwards well? Go to Freo

Big Bucks?  Probably either.

i would be interested to know how well he gets on with his MFC team mates.

in the end, my primary concern is that MFC uses any player movement to enhance its position.  If it’s on, then let’s get a good deal and create a nucleus of players that want to be here, and want to win together.

12 minutes ago, grey wolf said:

If Hogan goes and if we get picks 4&5 (5&6) then I’d be going Smith and a King at the draft.

im not that convinced about May but if the FD want him badly then next years first and other picks or players.

I'd be seriously disappointed and surprised if we got those picks and didn't on trade at least one, if not both.

6 + 34 for May and KK would be ok with me. Maybe swap of later picks as well.

I'd even go 5 + 2019 1st rounder for Kelly on top of that.

In: Kelly, May, KK, Preuss, 2 x 3rd rounders (Kent, AVB), Toby Bedford (use 2 x 3rd rounders)

Out: Hogan, pick 34,  2019 1st rounder, 44 (Preuss), Kent, AVB

Aroused.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 4

Did anyone else notice that when Nathan Jones was questioned during the Grand Final coverage about Jesse's intentions that at no stage did he categorically say: 

'I really want Jesse to stay at Melbourne'.

Probably nothing in it as they seemed to drop the question on him cold, at least that's what he claimed, but he kind of danced around the question with statements like doing what's right for Jesse and supporting him in the right way, etc. 

18 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

I'd be seriously disappointed and surprised if we got those picks and didn't on trade at least one, if not both.

6 + 34 for May and KK would be ok with me. Maybe swap of later picks as well.

I'd even go 5 + 2019 1st rounder for Kelly on top of that.

In: Kelly, May, KK, Preuss, 2 x 3rd rounders (Kent, AVB), Toby Bedford (use 2 x 3rd rounders)

Out: Hogan, pick 34,  2019 1st rounder, 44 (Preuss), Kent, AVB

Aroused.

I think if Kelly leaves Geelong it’ll be back home to WA.

Im really hoping to get an A+ mid out of all this , as well as May .

Gaff or Shiel would be amazing but could be someone out of left field , as we now have an extra 850k a year to spend.

Would end up being a good trade period ending up with May, Preuss,Kolidashnij , and another  A grade mid.

15 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

I think if Kelly leaves Geelong it’ll be back home to WA.

Im really hoping to get an A+ mid out of all this , as well as May .

Gaff or Shiel would be amazing but could be someone out of left field , as we now have an extra 850k a year to spend.

Would end up being a good trade period ending up with May, Preuss,Kolidashnij , and another  A grade mid.

3 minutes ago, Dee*ceiving said:

I believe that's Kelly of the Josh variety

^^^^

15 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

Preuss and Kolo....nij won't cost too much, if we want them we'll get them.

May and an A-grade mid depends on what we get for Hogan.

Agree though it will help sure up our rucks, backline and midfield. Weed will need to continue on his upward trend for our forward line not to go backwards though.

Just now, DubDee said:

fact or opinion?

would love the cats to get screwed over and hit bottom

Just word on the street mate. And I'm with you, their list is ageing and they have no star kids coming through bar Henry, Scott can't coach so just tops up every year to cover his arse, I wish them misery.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I think it was the strong links back to Perth all the time that made me feel this way.

I don't begrudge him at all, it isn't a criticism just something I have always felt.

Trade talks can be destabilizing depending on the player and how long the speculation goes on.

Regarding Hogan, going home is always the elephant in the room whenever his name is discussed. 

Unless he is prepared to sign a long term contract, beyond 2019, I would trade him and get the best deal possible. 

Clearly the clubs silence means that Hogan is seriously entertaining Freos offer and the Club is prepared to consider a deal.

Its what makes sense for both parties.

Get the best possible deal and do it as quickly as possible. 

I am well and truly over Hogan and want us to build an unstoppable team with a strong culture and team based behaviour we have witnessed in the latter end of the season. 

I find it very funny that just 6 weeks ago when BB and some others raised the issue of Hogan being traded they were castigated in the extreme by some folk on here as idiots. Seems they were not such idiots after all.

It seems significant that no one has said it is BS he is staying at the MFC. Not him, his agent, no MFC person and no one from Freo.

That tells me it is going to happen.

• Like 5