Who do we realistically target for a trade?

Dee1987

31 minutes ago, —coach— said:

So we would not have to trade anything, unless Eagles are willing to match our offer at which point it would be upto us if we wanted to throw a trade into the mix which I would image we would not/could not. It all comes down to whether the Eagles can or want to match out offer. If they don’t, trading picks doesn’t come into it.

I would imagine the Eagles will match, knowing it would force a trade. This is the equivalent of a sign-and-trade in the NBA.

36 minutes ago, praha said:

I would imagine the Eagles will match, knowing it would force a trade. This is the equivalent of a sign-and-trade in the NBA.

True, but they have to be prepared to pay what they offer because we could easily just so no thanks after that rather than offer a pick

I might be jumping the gun, but i would be looking for another inside mid.. I think personally Jack Vineys foot is cactus and we just simply can't trust him to get 22 games out of him anymore..

Could Mitch Wallis be an option?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jackaub said:

I think its been tragic we havent been able to develop another quality second string ruck at Casey in the time Max has beeen developing

should have 2 or 3 devloping prospects  in work at the moment Shoild be part of an overall strategy

Like King, Filipovic and (Bradke next year)?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jaded said:

Can only be a free agent of some sort as we have no currency to trade with. No first rounders, no future picks (can’t trade two future picks in consecutive years), no surplus star players or star players wanting to leave. 

The list is limited. I would say Gaff is our target and beyond that we will to pick draft gems again and perhaps a backup ruck, although no ruck struggling to get a game at another club will want to come play for us (get a game ahead of Gawn will you?!)

I don't think that's the rule.

You must take 2 first rounders in a four year rolling period. We took 2 in 2015, but none in 16, 17 and have no pick for 18.

Which means that unless we trade in a first rounders this year or next, we will breech the rule and be barred from trading future picks.

I wonder where the AFL would step in? Before we have infringed or after?

We could trade out our 2019 first rounders this year if an amazing deal presented and promise to trade in first rounders next year. If we fail to bring in the picks the penalty would be that we wouldn't be able to trade picks for a number of years. 

Regardless, it wouldn't put us in a good spot going forward.

1 minute ago, SFebey said:

King and Filipovic are absolutely useless, Bradtke is just starting. 

Steph Martin and  Troy Simmons were both said to be useless with us.

24 minutes ago, ManDee said:

Like King, Filipovic and (Bradke next year)?

YES mandee except that none are ready to fill in for max

11 hours ago, Jaded said:

Can only be a free agent of some sort as we have no currency to trade with. No first rounders, no future picks (can’t trade two future picks in consecutive years), no surplus star players or star players wanting to leave. 

The list is limited. I would say Gaff is our target and beyond that we will to pick draft gems again and perhaps a backup ruck, although no ruck struggling to get a game at another club will want to come play for us (get a game ahead of Gawn will you?!)

It will be tight, it will be high risk if we seek just one or two key players, despite some immediate successes from this type of recruiting. We should be focussing on our troops of youth that we already have and those that we more naturally acquire as youngsters in future recruitment processes - developing their games, skills, confidence and roles within the 'machine' that the Dees may well become in the shorter-term seasons that follow. Casey represents a strong footballing springboard. Once, our recruits were selected, worked and discarded and our processing of football talent lagged, producing only a few mainstays each season - not enough! A good carpet needs a quality underlay - so be it with our onfield teams of the future. 

Steph Martin played his first game as a 22yo and was pretty ordinary until about 25yo now 32yo.

Troy Simmons played his first game as a 21yo and was pretty ordinary until about 25yo.

King 21yo & Filipovic 20yo, you have to invest time in most talls before you can say they are useless. I didn't think we should have given away Fitzpatrick and kept him purely as insurance until others came on. The other King did not make it. I don't mind a mature age ruckman maybe from the VFL or SANFL but they never get a game

• Like 1

Aaron Hall of Gold Coast, quick outside mide who will be a lot cheaper. Weideman is being groomed as the 2nd ruck. Dalhaus doesn't impress and I think Gaff and McGovern will be too expensive. The loss of Naitanui complicates things as now they need Lycett more than Gaff or McGovern. They may be less inclined to stick with Gaff

4 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Aaron Hall of Gold Coast, quick outside mide who will be a lot cheaper. Weideman is being groomed as the 2nd ruck. Dalhaus doesn't impress and I think Gaff and McGovern will be too expensive. The loss of Naitanui complicates things as now they need Lycett more than Gaff or McGovern. They may be less inclined to stick with Gaff

Agree with this.

On King, I've seen him a couple of times and I reckon he isn't that far away.  Big blokes take a bit of time because they basically need to learn to play again as they have been big and playing against smaller kids has been easy.  Now they have to learn to play against blokes that are bigger and the others aren't much shorter than you.

Some names of interest off the top of my head, some OOC, some FA's, some fringe, some needs, some may be not needed, all gettable:

Ruck depth, KPD, outside mids and inside mid plus small forwards. In no way am I saying we get these guys, just names of interest to add to the discussion.

Blair

Fasalo

Sam Murray

Horlin-Smith

Murdoch

Gregson

McCarthy

Thurlow

Ed Langdon

Sam Wright

Atley

Dahlhaus

Liberatore

Wallis

Tom Campbell

Lin Jong

Lewy Taylor

Seedsman

Dayne Beams

Miles

Short

Stengle (small fwd, 6 goals on weekend)

Gaff

Jeremy McGovern

May

Pittonet

Hannebery

Polec

Jack Martin

Aaron Hall

David Mackay

Jarryd Lyons

Edited by SFebey

45 minutes ago, ManDee said:

Steph Martin and  Troy Simmons were both said to be useless with us.

That’s revisionism - at least in Martin’s case. Many were spewing when Neeld traded Martin. He was a good ruckman when he was here, the problem was that he was behind Mark Jamar in the pecking order and he couldn’t play anywhere else. There were also a few personal issues at the club that might have prevented him from staying anyway.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Agree with this.

On King, I've seen him a couple of times and I reckon he isn't that far away.  Big blokes take a bit of time because they basically need to learn to play again as they have been big and playing against smaller kids has been easy.  Now they have to learn to play against blokes that are bigger and the others aren't much shorter than you.

The trouble is Dr we need a back up ready now and I agree we should trade for one

If Max misses we are forced to sacrifice T Mac's game  or play Pederson as stop gap.

My point is we dont have a back up ready to go NOW!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jackaub said:

The trouble is Dr we need a back up ready now and I agree we should trade for one

If Max misses we are forced to sacrifice T Mac's game  or play Pederson as stop gap.

My point is we dont have a back up ready to go NOW!

Exactly. King and Filipovic struggle at VFL level, a long way off AFL, we need a backup now.

Why are we so obsessed with speed?  Just because someone has pace doesn't mean we need to instantly recruit them.  Aaron Hall is a prime example - alright, the bloke has pace, but he is the softest, flakiest and one of the most inconsistent footballers in the AFL.  He wouldn't make us a better side.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, SFebey said:

Some names of interest off the top of my head, some OOC, some FA's, some fringe, some needs, some may be not needed, all gettable:

Ruck depth, KPD, outside mids and inside mid plus small forwards. In no way am I saying we get these guys, just names of interest to add to the discussion.

Blair

Fasalo

Sam Murray

Horlin-Smith

Murdoch

Gregson

McCarthy

Thurlow

Sam Wright

Atley

Dahlhaus

Liberatore

Wallis

Tom Campbell

Lin Jong

Lewy Taylor

Seedsman

Dayne Beams

Miles

Short

Stengle (small fwd, 6 goals on weekend)

Gaff

Jeremy McGovern

May

Pittonet

Hannebery

Polec

Jack Martin

Aaron Hall

David Mackay

Jarryd Lyons

No thanks to Hannebery for reasons others have pointed out

Would have Beams (for right price) in a heartbeat.

Polec yes

Gaff isn't he just an accumulator?

McGovern wants 1.2M p.a? Good luck with that. but yes but not for that $

You know more than me as evidenced by my lack of knowledge about many of the others

Is Langdon available? I think not judging by your selection criteria.

What's the story with Lin Jong? Others here have mentioned his appeal (at right price)

3 minutes ago, SFebey said:

Exactly. King and Filipovic struggle at VFL level, a long way off AFL, we need a backup now.

What about Tom Nicholls from Gold Coast? I’ve seen him do some good things in the ruck but hasn’t played a game this year due to injuries. I believe he’s OOC this year. 

• Like 2