Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 17

Demonland

8 hours ago, DubDee said:

Pace is great, I get it. But quick accurate ball movement beats pace every time. We need to get to that. Hit the first option up and keep moving. 

Carn the Dees!!

An observation of JKH at AFL level during previous stints.

Yes he was often involved in play...often laying tackles.

Sounds great...good defensive play for a forward ?

Reality...he was often out of position and second to the ball.

Why ? Seemed like he wasn't quick enough to be first to the ball. Hint...guy with ball is doing better.

He we have an example of an illusion...is Harris is putting in. In a fashion...but he's not being effective .....as a fwd...only in defence....or "pressure moves"

No pressure on the scoreboard though.

And....the stats are bogus.

If stability is the key to winning matches then the Dees are near certainties based on who is unavailable.

These are the teams that met just 6 weeks ago at Etihad when Melbourne won by 49 points despite giving away a start.

WESTERN BULLDOGS 

B: Matthew Suckling, Jackson Trengove, Ed Richards

HB: Bailey Williams, Dale Morris, Easton Wood

C : Jason Johannisen, Lachie Hunter, Patrick Lipinski

HF: Caleb Daniel, Josh Schache, Tory Dickson

F: Luke Dahlhaus, Marcus Bontempelli, Billy Gowers

Foll: Tom Boyd, Toby McLean, Jack Macrae

I/C: Hayden Crozier, Mitch Honeychurch, Jordan Roughead, Roarke Smith

Emg: Tom Campbell, Lin Jong, Lukas Webb, Lewis Young

In: Mitch Honeychurch, Dale Morris

Out: Zaine Cordy (concussion), Bailey Dale (foot)

MELBOURNE  

B: Michael Hibberd, Oscar McDonald, Neville Jetta

HB: Angus Brayshaw, Jake Lever, Jordan Lewis

C : Bernie Vince, Jack Viney, Nathan Jones

HF: James Harmes, Jesse Hogan, Jake Melksham

F: Tim Smith, Tom McDonald, Christian Petracca

Foll: Max Gawn, Christian Salem, Clayton Oliver

I/C: Bayley Fritsch, Mitch Hannan, Alex Neal-Bullen, Charlie Spargo

Emg: Tom Bugg, Cameron Pedersen, Joel Smith, Billy Stretch

NO CHANGE

It's pretty clear that the the Dogs have some quality outs whereas the only compulsory change that the Dees have made to the starting side is Jake Lever.

On this basis, we should win and win well - if we don't, we're simply not worthy of going any further this season.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I'm kind of hoping JKH makes it, may be a handy replacement for Nev when he slows down. I'll wait and see how he performs v Dogs before I judge too harshly, has been a while between games so may have improved.

Edited by SFebey
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SFebey said:

I'm kind of hoping JKH makes it, may be a handy replacement for Nev when he slows down. I'll wait and see how he performs v Dogs before I judge to harshly, has been a while between games so may have improved.

He's 'worth a try' into the side. He can perform better than ever, perhaps, and he needs to do that. If he doesn't perform well, the bench is sensibly manned to provide an adequate replacement; this is something that perhaps I harp on about too much: better and more strategic use of the bench. So very important to rotate players from one role to the other with diminishing key effectiveness in any one game. Well done for your form improvement, JKH. I'd still like to see Pedo and VDB into this side against the the Doggies, perhaps even Kent for a touch-up. Lewis and Vince? Liability.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

VDB

I am frothing for VDB to come back - however the question where does he fit and who does he replace in the current side? Anythoughts anyone?

3 minutes ago, Danelska said:

I am frothing for VDB to come back - however the question where does he fit and who does he replace in the current side? Anythoughts anyone?

I’d say half forward providing pressure. Can also take a strong mark inside 50. If he was chosen to play next week I’d go with JKH then Spargo as the players he’d replace. I like Spargo but how good would it be to have a fully fit AVB for the back end of the season.

1 hour ago, SFebey said:

I'm kind of hoping JKH makes it, may be a handy replacement for Nev when he slows down. I'll wait and see how he performs v Dogs before I judge too harshly, has been a while between games so may have improved.

I'm confused. What makes him a good replacement for Nev? I wasn't aware that he had any time spent playing down back....?

Edited by Yung Blood
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SFebey said:

Im not sure JKH has the ceiling to be anywhere near a replacement for Nifty

• Like 1

Why have players on our list for years and years, if we don't play them when the need arises?

Sure I would have preferred Kent for some zip, but his hammy blows up every 2 seconds, and he needs conditioning time. 

As much as finals are on the line, we are not exactly staring at a flag. We have players on our list who we need to find out if they are list cloggers or not. As it stands, we will struggle to clear the necessary amount of players from our list  come season's end. We need to find out if some players are worth keeping or not.

Stretch did very well last week. Frost did very well last week. JHK may do the same. He may not. But we need to find out one way or another.

I still hate Vince and Lewis in the same back half. I hope Vince is in for a tagging role, which in my opinion is where he truly excels. '

I worry about our lack of leg speed again, especially against the Dogs (who pushed us last time due to their speed), and especially at the MCG where we struggle badly for spread.

Every game is do or die now. If the players have matured and are serious about success, I would like to see intent and spreading from minute one of the game.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Yung Blood said:

I'm confused. What makes him a good replacement for Nev? I wasn't aware that he had any time spent playing down back....?

Why confused? We need to develop someone, Dion Johnstone wont make it. I didnt say he would be a "good" replacement, I said handy, just throwing an idea out there. Who else on our list could do it?

I didn't realise JKH was hated so much on Demonland, interesting reading.

Edited by SFebey

1 minute ago, SFebey said:

Who else then? Dion Johnstone? lol

not at all..but your question will require answering at some time in the nearish future...but id like to think  (barring that I-word ) that he's 3-4 years of good footy left.

it might well be someone we need to target in drafts/trades...as you suggest ...he ( replacement) doesnt seem to be on our list currently ) 

5 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

not at all..but your question will require answering at some time in the nearish future...but id like to think  (barring that I-word ) that he's 3-4 years of good footy left.

it might well be someone we need to target in drafts/trades...as you suggest ...he ( replacement) doesnt seem to be on our list currently ) 

I reckon when Nev starts to slow down he will slow down quickly, I hate saying it as he's one of my faves, but I don't think we will get 3-4 more out of him. But we need to replace Vince, Lewis and possibly Nev in coming years. May be draft/trade, may be promoting from within. If two of the 3 above go down, we need to start thinking about it. JKH may definitely not be THE answer, but if he cant play anywhere else, it may be worth a try. From memory he's a decent overhead mark and a reliable kick. It's just an idea.......

Edited by SFebey

6 minutes ago, small but forward said:

I think he’s too short for the backline.

im surprised nobody has gone with a “last shot for JFK” gag. Probably poor taste.

I've watched him for the grassy knoll at Casey, hopefully this is the magic bullet he needs to succeed

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Danelska said:

I would be very nervous if i was Alex Neale Bullen..

• Like 2

14 hours ago, drysdale demon said:

Give him another chance before you put the boots in.

He's got his chance it's up to him now. What I think means zilch.

34 minutes ago, Age said:

I've watched him for the grassy knoll at Casey, hopefully this is the magic bullet he needs to succeed

Got any 8mm film of him ??

I  am not concerned about the changes. I am only concerned about being outright favourites (as we were against St Kilda)! Geelong losing yesterday was to our advantage meaning we are a (very) outside chance of finishing Top 4 if there are a few other upsets.

• Like 1