Neeld gone (from Essendon)

pitmaster

21 minutes ago, dl4e said:

Neeld puked all over Melbourne. Couldn't believe eddendrug would have him as a coach. Maybe a decision they made whilst getting off on crack. Don't care about Neeld or essendrug.

Wasn’t he hired by Bomber Thompson when Hird was suspended? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Lucifer's Hero said:

I just heard Whately and Robbo say Ess should get Craig Jennings to Ess to help Worsfold- that is OUR Craig Jennings!

Hope he has enough sense to see we are going places and not be tempted by their money.

He won't go there, he would have to start all over again, plus essendon said neelds job won't be replaced neelds and Jennings jobs are a bit the same, but Jennings does not have as much control as mark did. Marks biggest problem is he is stubborn, and does not listen, when he thinks his game plan is good even when to everyone else it is no good, he can't see it and won't listen to criticism and doesn't trust in anyone else's advice, he can't communicate, and by the sounds of it Worsfold is he even a worse communicator, he does not have a personal connection to the plays, Adam Cooney was very scathing on Worsfold communication and personal skills, worsfold is yesterdays hero coaching has changed worsfold has not.

How any club would give Mark so much control over a game plan, when he had the worst game plan in history at Melbourne is beyond me, don't feel sorry for him he  Hoodwinked his way into the Melbourne job and he Hoodwinked his way into the Essendon job.

9 minutes ago, mongrel said:

I remember seeing Neeld at a cafe in Northcote shortly after him leaving the dees. I gave him a nod with an sympathetic grin and he just looked at me with those weird crazy twitchy eyes.

I feel like he's at home just watching the news of him and Essendon with those same weird crazy twitchy eyes.

I believe Neeld delayed minor brain surgery in Sept 2010 to prevent side tracking Collingwood's Grand Final preparation. The nerve damage to his face which we seem to take great delight in sending up, is a result of this. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Goffer said:

Wasn’t he hired by Bomber Thompson when Hird was suspended? 

No, he was hired as head of player development in 2014, while Hird was still there.

FWIW, from a couple of mates who are hard core Dons' fans, he was respected and did well with the younger players, which is one reason why he was moved up the ladder to assistant coaching.

Just saying.

1 minute ago, Moonshadow said:

I believe Neeld delayed minor brain surgery in Sept 2010 to prevent side tracking Collingwood's Grand Final preparation. The nerve damage to his face which we seem to take great delight in sending up, is a result of this. 

If memory serves me correct, I think his twitch was from being whacked by a Drysdale player when he played at Ocean Grove. (Bellarine Football League).

I genuinely hope that Neeld did not do what he did at Melbourne. If he did, my sympathy levels go down. 

The word was that it was very much 'my way or the highway'. I'm not sure how much Neil Craig tried to intervene and I'm sure we'll never know. He said at his appointment as interim coach that he wondered how much more he could have done on that front. The Hun also reported that he had to be counseled on his approach.

As said before, if he's been sacked others need to be made accountable too. They allowed the situation to become what it was.

21 minutes ago, don't make me angry said:

Hoodwinked his way into the Melbourne job and he Hoodwinked his way into the Essendon job.

For starters, you always need a Hoodwinker and a Hoodwinkee - it takes two. It's clear in retrospect (as everything always is) that our selection process was seriously flawed, but that's not Neeld's fault. In any case, he was widely expected to be next cab off the rank into senior coaching at the time.

As for Essendon, he'd been there a couple of years in development before he was moved across/up to assistant coaching, so they knew exactly what they were doing and exactly what they were getting.

Though seems not to have hurt them last year having Neeld as an assistant.

Edited by bing181
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, bing181 said:

For starters, you always need a Hoodwinker and a Hoodwinkee - it takes two. It's clear in retrospect (as everything always is) that our selection process was seriously flawed, but that's not Neeld's fault. In any case, he was widely expected to be next cab off the rank into senior coaching at the time.

As for Essendon, he'd been there a couple of years in development before he was moved across/up to assistant coaching, so they knew exactly what they were doing and exactly what they were getting.

In any case, seems not to have hurt them last year having Neeld as an assistant.

Everyone has worked essendon game plan out it  just took a season to work it out, at Melbourne his game plan was worked out in the first preseason, it shows that he does not have a plan b, he  is insane  according to Albert Einstein's Theory of insanity, "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result" that is mark's coaching career in a nutshell.

Edited by don't make me angry

I genuinely hope that Neeld did not do what he did at Melbourne. If he did, my sympathy levels go down. 

The word was that it was very much 'my way or the highway'. I'm not sure how much Neil Craig tried to intervene and I'm sure we'll never know. He said at his appointment as interim coach that he wondered how much more he could have done on that front. The Hun also reported that he had to be counseled on his approach.

As said before, if he's been sacked others need to be made accountable too. They allowed the situation to become what it was.

4 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

You were lucky you were away. I happened to be living in Melb at the time and a bikes ride from the G. I went to almost every game in the era. And often went home at half time. Re his communication. its a body of work more than one individual thing. youd have to have sat through his post match media conferences and seen footage of his first address to the players. No one was playing for him from the get go. He lost the players in his first pre season

I remember him saying to the media as the players trooped off  after his first match in charge ... “ we have only got 2 afl standard players on the list” mmm not going to make players run through brick walls for you with that statement straight up ! 

Edited by demonique
  • Like 3

When Roos talked about players still being scarred, they were partly scarred before Neeld started. They didn't need someone coming in and tearing strips off them for being weak so and sos. That would have been the right time for a Roos to come in, had we been able to have our time over again. Someone who knew when to give them a cuddle.

Given a different list at a different stage of rebuild, Neeld might have turned out okay. But he was thrown in the deep end himself and only ever learned to dog paddle.

I dunno if he's a great bloke or not. Never met him. But gee ... he's finished in football now. And for what. EFC could have waited until the end of the season. What does it matter now? Their season's over already. Or they could changed his role and not told the outside world, for appearances.

But no, they had to humiliate him. He might not even get a job in country footy now. When EFC have the worst recruiter in the league. When they have a coach who has coached out of talented players the ability to kick or handpass or do anything much right. When their CEO sometimes seems not to know what sport he's administering.

What a disgraceful way to handle their current plight. Nice message for their other staff. If we can shaft you to save the senior staff, we will.

It's just one bloke but it shows the rot that has set in at that club. And long may they rot. They've earned it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

When Roos talked about players still being scarred, they were partly scarred before Neeld started. They didn't need someone coming in and tearing strips off them for being weak so and sos. That would have been the right time for a Roos to come in, had we been able to have our time over again. Someone who knew when to give them a cuddle.

Given a different list at a different stage of rebuild, Neeld might have turned out okay. But he was thrown in the deep end himself and only ever learned to dog paddle.

I dunno if he's a great bloke or not. Never met him. But gee ... he's finished in football now. And for what. EFC could have waited until the end of the season. What does it matter now? Their season's over already. Or they could changed his role and not told the outside world, for appearances.

But no, they had to humiliate him. He might not even get a job in country footy now. When EFC have the worst recruiter in the league. When they have a coach who has coached out of talented players the ability to kick or handpass or do anything much right. When their CEO sometimes seems not to know what sport he's administering.

What a disgraceful way to handle their current plight. Nice message for their other staff. If we can shaft you to save the senior staff, we will.

It's just one bloke but it shows the rot that has set in at that club. And long may they rot. They've earned it.

yep, and they'll probably blame the afl anyway

• Haha 1

Hmmmm.... essendrug are in a world of pain right now 

seems laughable a few months ago that media commentators like David king coined the phrase “the Tullamarine globetrotters” with their A+ mark trade period selections and top 4 smokeys predictions... an elite running midfield they said 

It would be easy to say the guy couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag (which there is a good case for) but I’m sure he must have done something right to be a competent assistant at Collingwood in that period. 

A lot of people here are still reeling a bit from the way the guy sent us back to the Stone Age and I understand that. Just have to give the tiniest little bit of credit where it’s due.

• Like 1

I do feel for Mark Neeld. I don't know that any first time coach would have done any better with the list he had at Melbourne, regardless of their coaching style. We should have appointed an experienced coach there and then, and that is not his fault.

I have often wondered that if Neeld replaced Thompson at Geelong instead of Scott, he may very well be a premiership coach now.

He was simply appointed by the wrong club at the worst possible time to bring in a coach of his style, and his career was forever doomed once he received the congratulatory phone call from Garry Lyon.

I wish him the best of luck in the future 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Im a bit conflicted about this.

Usually i dont give a rats about peoples feelings, and im probably known on this site as a bit of a w@nker because of that,. but i genuinely feel for the bloke.

He didn't mean to fail at MFC. He honestly thought he could make us better. Any coach would think the same regardless of their actual ability. Ok, so he was wrong. We not only didnt improve but it can easily be argued we went backwards during his time as coach. Watching the post-game pressers you could see the hurt was real, even if his words were hollow.

Regardless of all that, the bloke is still a human being who lives and breathes footy. He has a family and friends and all that mundane stuff most of us have.  Sure, i will be happy to see the drug cheats crash and burn from here to eternity and will feel genuine joy whenever that CLUB fails. The individual is a different matter.

Its not cool to be basking in the failure of the poor bloke. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

Watching those pricks beat us in the Granny was bad enough, but their supporters around me were even worse

Laughing when Greeny was bleeding in his throat, cheering when Long dogged Simmonds.....I hope they never, ever recover from this

This.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, ding said:

Im a bit conflicted about this.

Usually i dont give a rats about peoples feelings, and im probably known on this site as a bit of a w@nker because of that,. but i genuinely feel for the bloke.

He didn't mean to fail at MFC. He honestly thought he could make us better. Any coach would think the same regardless of their actual ability. Ok, so he was wrong. We not only didnt improve but it can easily be argued we went backwards during his time as coach. Watching the post-game pressers you could see the hurt was real, even if his words were hollow.

Regardless of all that, the bloke is still a human being who lives and breathes footy. He has a family and friends and all that mundane stuff most of us have.  Sure, i will be happy to see the drug cheats crash and burn from here to eternity and will feel genuine joy whenever that CLUB fails. The individual is a different matter.

Its not cool to be basking in the failure of the poor bloke. 

Its only fair to not be basking in his failure, because we are going ok now.

Neelds problems were not just a failure to develop a good game plan, it was a total failure to identify the type of player we should draft, in order to move towards a flag.

It would be nice if he finds a nice job after this. He may very well be a nice guy, and I respect  him for his time with the Dees.

However, he was [censored] at team and list management. Possibly among the worst we ever had.

• Like 1