WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHARLIE SPARGO

Demonland

2 hours ago, McQueen said:

Taylor does not develop the game plan nor is he responsible for the players efforts on game day. 

He’s done his job better than most. 

I think he's done OK...  better than say 50%... which would be more than we are used to. of recent decades.

Can we do better,  yes, I think we can.

5 hours ago, Dockett 32 said:

None of them near GWS class however and we keep trading away our best picks.

Doesnt make sense to me.

So , simple, if you can’t get someone GWS class or ultra high quality, for Christ sake hang on to your 1st rounders.

Brayshaw and Petracca need to lift pronto or onto the trade table.

Problem is we would not get much for them. Second round pick I reckon.

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Was a solid contributor last year and played an excellent final vs Hawks. Had unusual poise for a rookie.

But like 90% of our list he has inexplicably gone backwards.

It makes you wonder about the FD. Are the Remours true?

I am yet to see anything to suggest that Spargo is an AFL standard footballer and I have no idea on what basis he was drafted. One (lucky junk time) goal in four games, and averages less than 10 possessions and 2 tackles a game this season. His only notable skill is being where the football isn't. 

It's less and less likely that Spargo is going to make it. He has no penetration with his kicking, is not particularly quick and does not win much of the ball.

It is inexplicable how often players kick to him when he is always going to be out-sized once the ball is overhead.

That said, he is a second year player and the Second Year Blues used to be a thing. Maybe it still is.

Edited by pitmaster

15 hours ago, Elegt said:

Too small and slow. Gifted a game today over preuss and did nothing 

You've a snakey edge to you Elegt that does not warrant encouragement but I must agree with this comment. Preuss would have been much greater value given how tall and mature-bodied the Giants were. We had no target forward other than Hunt who had a kind of decoy role. Preuss would have been a destination for those long bombs and could at least have made a contest.

• Like 1

In his first season he had that warm glow of being a rookie kid who might become a player, and the low disposals and only occasional real impact was excusable in that context and in a team that was growing and performing well.

But he has been played this season as if he is part of our best 22 and ready to go, which he just isn't.

I worry this is a case of the early burnout of a kid, in the way that was so chronic and catastrophic for us a decade ago.

Anyway, the second half of this season is all about development, reviewing the list, and learning to play well regardless of the immediate stakes or emotions. All things we need to do anyway. Like a four month review of the football department!

• Like 1

Wow.  Scroll back about two pages and the site was glowing about his potential after a very good first year.

The kid has a lot of talent, with great creativity and awareness.  What he doesn't have at the moment is confidence; he running on a flat zero in that department. 

He is a developing player in his second year who is struggling to back it up.  Not only is this not unheard of, it's common in league football.  Form is temporary, class is permanent; and I'm a believer.

• Like 12
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Wow.  Scroll back about two pages and the site was glowing about his potential after a very good first year.

The kid has a lot of talent, with great creativity and awareness.  What he doesn't have at the moment is confidence; he running on a flat zero in that department. 

He is a developing player in his second year who is struggling to back it up.  Not only is this not unheard of, it's common in league football.  Form is temporary, class is permanent; and I'm a believer.

Do you see AFL traits though? Far too small and slow to make it. Look he might have been carried last year by a good team but I see no potential for him 

The season is shot so I'm not opposed to seeing what he can do with a few more games in the seniors. It's not like we have a bunch of kids kicking the door down to take his spot (maybe a Sparrow type if we go down the path of gifting games).

As for Spargos selection at 29, there wasn't a heap of standout players selected outside the top 30 in that 2017 draft. McCartin, Langdon are handy players and there are a few more. 

Spargo is also still only 19, so he might still be able to elevate his game (even if he is on the small side).

26 minutes ago, Elegt said:

Do you see AFL traits though? Far too small and slow to make it. Look he might have been carried last year by a good team but I see no potential for him 

I do. I reckon his biggest problem is a lack of a tank at the moment. he has showed he has good pace early in games but is easily spent. he busts his guts running but then looks cooked pretty quickly. he doesn't get much of it, but still he gets involved in plays that set up goals for us when he does, and that's why he got another game this week. and his size doesn't worry me, there's been plenty of good small footy players. like a lot of our blokes, he needs a massive pre season for next year.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Demon Dude said:

I do. I reckon his biggest problem is a lack of a tank at the moment. he has showed he has good pace early in games but is easily spent. he busts his guts running but then looks cooked pretty quickly. he doesn't get much of it, but still he gets involved in plays that set up goals for us when he does, and that's why he got another game this week. and his size doesn't worry me, there's been plenty of good small footy players. like a lot of our blokes, he needs a massive pre season for next year.

What pace ? I reckon gawn could outrun him

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 9:06 AM, poita said:

I am yet to see anything to suggest that Spargo is an AFL standard footballer and I have no idea on what basis he was drafted. One (lucky junk time) goal in four games, and averages less than 10 possessions and 2 tackles a game this season. His only notable skill is being where the football isn't. 

Says it all

• Like 1

I remembered how I nearly spewed when we called out Spargo over just playing it safe Gyran Miers. Starting to question our recruiting department as of late.

• Like 1

He played 100 times better than he did the week before. I thought his game was a positive. 

Anyway the guy is 19, barely out of nappies. He’s such a long way off being the finished product that declarations of being a wasted selection or having no AFL traits are nothing short of outrageous. Give him a bloody break.

• Like 13
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Nasher said:

He played 100 times better than he did the week before. I thought his game was a positive. 

Anyway the guy is 19, barely out of nappies. He’s such a long way off being the finished product that declarations of being a wasted selection or having no AFL traits are nothing short of outrageous. Give him a bloody break.

Name these so called traits. Good clubs get rid of kids who will never make it, Nathan Freeman and Billy hartung spring to mind as examples 

10 hours ago, Elegt said:

Name these so called traits. Good clubs get rid of kids who will never make it, Nathan Freeman and Billy hartung spring to mind as examples 

You are full of such joyous wonderment.................NOT

FFS, the kid is 19yo, he needs to lose a bit of fat and get a couple of pre seasons and he will come up!!