Welcome to Demonland: Jake Lever

2 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

We have three tall defenders in the McDonald's and Frost (plus Hibberd and Jetta as stalwarts down back) and we are looking at giving up the farm for another?

Don't get me wrong, Lever is a gun but I'd much rather we go after another midfielder or simply use the draft picks in the draft.

Goodwin has already touted that T Mac will play forward, which is why Watts is exependable.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, deebug said:

There should be a rule only one first draft per player, and then it should be a second round if the need be but no player is worth two first round picks.

In the words of Harry Who of Get Smart fame, "Amazing!':rolleyes:

• Haha 2

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

Adelaide were always going to play hard ball

after Saturday they will be angry as well

stand firm Demons...

Was thinking the same thing it sure is the wrong time to deal with them straight after a GF loss.

Just now, deebug said:

Was thinking the same thing it sure is the wrong time to deal with them straight after a GF loss.

Shocking time to finish the deal, but it must be done. 

2 picks is too much, but we need him in the backline...

just as long as there are no 2018 picks involved

Is this rumour about collingwood playing hard ball for him true/have any substance to it? If it does and they are offering two first rounders, this might make the deal a lot harder for us to land him. 

Collingwood are the biggest bloody disease to plague the earth

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Shocking time to finish the deal, but it must be done. 

2 picks is too much, but we need him in the backline...

just as long as there are no 2018 picks involved

Yer that's what i'm worried about giving up a 2018 first round pick.

24 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Note the rumour came from a Kane Cornes tweet. This year Kane has been incorrect, rude and insulting with his tweets. I still think Lever is worth 1 first round pick only but they sound like the new Essendon

Agree, guy is an absolute [censored].

7 minutes ago, qwerty7 said:

Is this rumour about collingwood playing hard ball for him true/have any substance to it? If it does and they are offering two first rounders, this might make the deal a lot harder for us to land him. 

If Lever nominates Melbourne, the deal will get done. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Even still, we need midfielders more than we need Lever.

When a high quality young key position player expresses interest in joining your club, you jump at the chance. 

And which quality mids are on the market?

• Thanks 1

I hope Adelaide dig their feet in and demand two first round picks. Surely Melbourne aren't stupid enough to give in (although we have been known to agree to some horrific trades), and turn their attention elsewhere.

Our midfield is a much bigger problem than our backline, and Lever showed on Saturday that he is not up to the task of leading the defence. I'm sure he'll be a great player if he can play as a loose man forever, but he's not the big bodied "gorilla minder" that we need.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

We have three tall defenders in the McDonald's and Frost (plus Hibberd and Jetta as stalwarts down back) and we are looking at giving up the farm for another?

Don't get me wrong, Lever is a gun but I'd much rather we go after another midfielder or simply use the draft picks in the draft.

Assuming if we land Lever TMac will play FF next year with Hogan as CHF.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-02/trade-winds-spoiler-in-dees-lever-swoop

Collingwood is poised to be a "spoiler" in the race for the star backman. Adelaide wants two first-round selections for the 21-year-old and the Magpies might be prepared to offer that up earlier than the Demons do".

No mention of Lever's preference or discussions with his management.  I believe the posters here who have said he will come to the Demons :) and I can't imagine his management entertaining offers at this late stage. 

So, Coll are playing games?  Maybe force our hand to give Adelaide 'overs' and then we have less trade currency for other moves?  Don't trust them at Victoria Park. 

Crows have leaked this Collingwood stuff to try and get the Demons to budge on their stance of a first and second and pick. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, poita said:

I hope Adelaide dig their feet in and demand two first round picks. Surely Melbourne aren't stupid enough to give in (although we have been known to agree to some horrific trades), and turn their attention elsewhere.

Our midfield is a much bigger problem than our backline, and Lever showed on Saturday that he is not up to the task of leading the defence. I'm sure he'll be a great player if he can play as a loose man forever, but he's not the big bodied "gorilla minder" that we need.

How many teams now have a big-bodied gorilla? Richmond don't, they have Jack Reiwoldt and a whole squad of smalls. They didn't need a lurching gorilla minder to keep Taylor Walker or Josh Jenkins quiet.

Sydney don't, they rely on a very mobile Lance Franklin roaming far and wide.

The days of needing someone to push and shove with Tony Lockett in the goal square are long gone. Mobility, spoiling and pressure are far more important than a wrestler.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, mauriesy said:

How many teams now have a big-bodied gorilla? Richmond don't, they have Jack Reiwoldt and a whole squad of smalls. They didn't need a lurching gorilla minder to keep Taylor Walker or Josh Jenkins quiet.

Sydney don't, they rely on a very mobile Lance Franklin roaming far and wide.

The days of needing someone to push and shove with Tony Lockett in the goal square are long gone. Mobility, spoiling and pressure are far more important than a wrestler.

A very salient and well made point

The game is evolving annually and the FD must be ahead of the game

I dont think we need a gorrilla

Mobility mobility mobility is the most important attribute going forward

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nasher said:

They're losing a 21 year old gun, a player already touted as their next captain. I don't think they'll get their two first rounders but calling them greedy for that being their opening position is ridiculous. He was never going to come cheaply and as we all know, draft picks are a gamble.

What would you be asking for if a 21 year old Jack Viney had said "I want to move to SA"?

A psychiatrist.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, qwerty7 said:

Well if he doesn't nominate them it means [censored] all. Out of contract players get to their preferred destinations.

We already have two first rounder available - this year's 10 and next year's - and if we are worried about the quality of next year's draft being too good then we should ask for their 2018 second rounder back in return.

We also are yet to play the "trade player" card with them, although I suspect Ben Ken has been offered up behind scenes. But given they are also losing Charlie Cameron's run, then maybe we have to consider giving up another SA player - Billy Stretch comes to mind, even though I like the way he goes about his footy - sometimes to get something you really want, you have to give up something you like.

1 hour ago, wheaters31 said:

Crows have leaked this Collingwood stuff to try and get the Demons to budge on their stance of a first and second and pick. 

Cornes is a very annoying primate.