Welcome to Demonland: Jake Lever

35 minutes ago, brendan said:

Adelaide get

2017 1st round

2018 1st round

melbourne get 

lever 

2017 second round 

if deal can't get done for that then we walk no way we need to give up any player 

I imagine that will be the most likely trade and whilst it does seem like a lot, I think we'd be asking for the same if the situation were reversed.

I also think it's necessary. Supporters get too carried away with draft picks and Lever is proven quality at the age of 21. He's also the same age as our core and if we land him it'll be enormous for our club and that group moving forward.

We picked Scully and Trengove at picks 1 and 2 once upon a time. Brayshaw is an unknown at this point as a pick 3. You take quality vs potential where you can. 

Two second round picks this year could also land us some fantastic quality if we get it right. There are more Sloanes and Fyfes out there ya'll. 

Edit: For @Redleg

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 6

I think we need to put the trade in context. Below I have two recent trades that should put the Lever deal in perspective.  

2 years ago Paddy Dangerfield was on his way to a Brownlow Medal, B&F and was out of contract. That 2015 trade was:

Adelaide: Dean Gore (2014 3rd rounder), 1st rounder, 2nd Rounder

Geelong: Paddy Dangerfield, 3rd rounder

That should give people a read.

Treloar 2015 trade 22, coming off multiple top 5 finishes in B&F and valued at $750k per year (prior to salary rise):

GWS:               2015 1st rounder, 2016 1st rounder, 2015 4th rounder

Collingwood: Adam Treloar, 2015 2nd rounder

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DaveyDee said:

Terrible result for us, shocking result for a Victorian kid out of contract that Adelaide cant fit inside there rates of pay. Adelaide are going to whine and moan for the sake of their supporters but at the end of the day they are not going to knock back a top 5 pick for Lever. 

Adelaide's supporters may whine & moan, but I'd say that over a number of years Adelaide has been as pragmatic as a club could possibly have been about trading out top-end talent who want to move. Unlike the AFL, they seem to actually value their integrity.

9 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

I imagine that will be the most likely trade and whilst it does seem like a lot, I think we'd be asking for the same if the situation were reversed.

I also think it's necessary. Supporters get too carried away with draft picks and Lever is proven quality at the age of 21. He's also the same age as our core and if we land him it'll be enormous for our club and that group moving forward.

We picked Scully and Trengove at picks 1 and 2 once upon a time. Brayshaw is an unknown at this point as a pick 3. You take quality vs potential where you can. 

Two second round picks this year could also land us some fantastic quality if we get it right. There are more Sloanes and Fyfes out there ya'll. 

Edit: For @Redleg

I accept that you get monkeys for peanuts and for class you have to pay.

I trust Taylor/ Mahoney etc to get a good deal done, but think the Danger deal, bearing in mind he was one for the best in the AFL at the time, does seem to set a benchmark and hopefully we can get Lever for a bit better than that deal as he is no Dangerfield, ( yet ).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Akum said:

Adelaide's supporters may whine & moan, but I'd say that over a number of years Adelaide has been as pragmatic as a club could possibly have been about trading out top-end talent who want to move. Unlike the AFL, they seem to actually value their integrity.

My tip is it will go thru late in the second week very similar to the Carlisle deal with a big fanfare for the cameras. You can almost write what both clubs representatives will say. Enjoy the circus. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, brendan said:

What would you think is fair, imo what I have put up will be pretty close to the mark if it's less then we have got the deal of the century 

I think it's fair that he's out of contract and other clubs get their players for less than that.....   

Hardball.....  We don't need to mortgage our future

Adelaide's second rounder this year is going to be well into the mid-30s of what by all accounts is a very shallow draft past the first handful. Unless we really want, say, Bayley Fritsch and their end-of-second-rounder is what gives him to us.

2018 is supposed to be a much deeper draft, so perhaps more of a chance of your "Sloanes & Fyffes" next year than this year. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BigMacjnr said:
3 minutes ago, Delusional demon 82 said:

Didn't the hawks land tom Mitchell for just a first rounder pick 14, would have thought that was comparable for lever ? 

Yes they did however quality defenders seem to be a dime a dozen these days hence Levers trade value would be higher.

I think our Football Department staff should stare at a picture of Scott Thompson for three minutes without blinking, before entering into any negotiations.  The football world hasn't played fair with the MFC in the past, we're under no obligation to pay more than we absolutely have to for Lever.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Delusional demon 82 said:

Didn't the hawks land tom Mitchell for just a first rounder pick 14, would have thought that was comparable for lever ? 

Very true. 

I think the Lever trade is getting compared to the Treloar trade a lot. Pies paid too much it that one.

And Hawthorn and Geelong didnt pay enough for Mitchell and Dangerfield.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

I think our Football Department staff should stare at a picture of Scott Thompson for three minutes without blinking, before entering into any negotiations.  The football world hasn't played fair with the MFC in the past, we're under no obligation to pay more than we absolutely have to for Lever.

We got pick 12 for Scott, who at the time wasn't getting a game from Daniher.

We were treated fairly by the Crows. They played him we didn't, much to the angst of several Demon supporters, myself included.

Scott was not at the level of Lever when they got him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dee tention said:

Very true. 

I think the Lever trade is getting compared to the Treloar trade a lot. Pies paid too much it that one.

Treloar chose pies over Richmond cos he wanted finals success....tigers now having the last laugh on that one .... not worth 2 first rounders at all btw

1 minute ago, Redleg said:

We were treated fairly by the Crows. They played him we didn't, much to the angst of several Demon supporters, myself included.

I don't believe that is right at all. He was injured a lot - that might explain his lack of games.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Judd's Granny said:

Demons want Lever & picks 35, 53

Offering Crows picks 10, 45

No other players involved

Crows want 2017 + 2018 1st round picks

Demons won't do deal

That's interesting...From a source or gut feel?

Sounds like they are both hard bargaining and it will end up somewhere in between. Might end up 1st round this year and second round next year with some other late picks going our way. 

13 minutes ago, Dee tention said:

Very true. 

Danger was restricted free agent, completely different. 

10 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Rubbish. Scott Thompson came good before he went to Adelaide. We developed him and nursed him through injury. Everyone knew he was going to be a star especially Daniher.

• Like 5