THE LAST TIME THEY MET

Demonland

It was dejavu all over again when Melbourne played St Kilda for the second time in the 2016 season:- 

MELBOURNE

B: Sam Frost, Tom McDonald, Neville Jetta
HB: Jayden Hunt, Oscar McDonald, Jack Grimes
C: Christian Petracca, Bernie Vince, Dom Tyson
HF: Jeff Garlett, Jack Watts, James Harmes
F: Aaron vandenBerg, Jesse Hogan, Dean Kent
FOLL: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Jack Viney
I/C: Angus Brayshaw, Matt Jones, Ben Kennedy, Mitch White
EMG: Tomas Bugg, Billy Stretch, Josh Wagner

IN: Angus Brayshaw 

OUT: Billy Stretch (omitted)

ST KILDA

B: Jarryn Geary, Sean Dempster, Dylan Roberton
HB: Jack Newnes, Sam Gilbert, Leigh Montagna
C: Maverick Weller, David Armitage, Jack Billings
HF: Blake Acres, Nick Riewoldt, Nathan Wright
F: Tim Membrey, Josh Bruce, Darren Minchington
FOLL:  Tom Hickey, Luke Dunstan, Jack Steven
I/C:   Jade Gresham, Daniel McKenzie, Sebastian Ross, Jack Sinclair 
EMG: Luke Delaney,Cameron Shenton, Eli Templeton

IN: Jack Billings, Jack Sinclair

OUT: Luke Delaney (omitted), Shane Savage (concussion

2 hours ago, Demonland said:

It was dejavu all over again when Melbourne played St Kilda for the second time in the 2016 season:- 

MELBOURNE

B: Sam Frost, Tom McDonald, Neville Jetta
HB: Jayden Hunt, Oscar McDonald, Jack Grimes
C: Christian Petracca, Bernie Vince, Dom Tyson
HF: Jeff Garlett, Jack Watts, James Harmes
F: Aaron vandenBerg, Jesse Hogan, Dean Kent
FOLL: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Jack Viney
I/C: Angus Brayshaw, Matt Jones, Ben Kennedy, Mitch White
EMG: Tomas Bugg, Billy Stretch, Josh Wagner

So, last year no Oliver, Lewis, Salem, Stretch, Melksham & (maybe) Joel Smith. And instead we had Grimes, VdB, M. Jones, BenKen, White & (maybe) Harmes. This year's cohort sounds much better on paper.

However, the wild card is that this time there's some level of doubt around Frost, Jetta, Tyson, Jeffy, Watts & Kent.

• Like 1

It's all academic.Even our new coach has got no idea where or if to play Watts.

Only us oldies know where

• Like 1

We will be outcoached again I suspect. Reiwoldt 20 possessions and 4 goals. Montagna 32 possessions. Steven 30 possessions. Membrey his annual 5 goal haul against the Demons.

23 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

We will be outcoached again I suspect. Reiwoldt 20 possessions and 4 goals. Montagna 32 possessions. Steven 30 possessions. Membrey his annual 5 goal haul against the Demons.

Thankfully Montagna isn't playing. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AllMyTeamsAreWank said:

Thankfully Montagna isn't playing. 

Some unknown spud replacement for him will have a breakout game and cream us.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 4

On 3/21/2017 at 11:40 PM, Akum said:

So, last year no Oliver, Lewis, Salem, Stretch, Melksham & (maybe) Joel Smith. And instead we had Grimes, VdB, M. Jones, BenKen, White & (maybe) Harmes. This year's cohort sounds much better on paper.

This, more than anything gives me reason to be confident that we are a good chance this weekend.

Oliver, Lewis, Salem, Stretch, Melksham

are a far better group than

M. Jones, VDB, Kennedy, White, Grimes

and that's 1/4 of the team.

• Like 3

They absolutely destroyed us in Round 17. Watched the highlights. We turned the ball over in the middle under no pressure about 10 times, every time resulted in a Saints score. If they were accurate, could have easily won by 10+ goals. 

Saints thrive on the corridor clanger. That is where they have beaten us every time we've met them in the past 10 years. Etihad teams are better at countering that because they utilise space so well. 

Edited by praha

Every time we've come up against St Kilda in recent years we have basically run around like headless chooks and clearly have had no idea how to combat their game plan or stop their tall forwards.

I just want to see us do something, anything at all, that suggests we have learnt from previous games and are trying to counter their strengths.

And Simon, if you are any sort of coach at all, put someone on Nick Riewoldt.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, praha said:

Saints thrive on the corridor clanger. That is where they have beaten us every time we've met them in the past 10 years. 

I probably need to look back on the footage, but seriously?

Regardless, quoth Simon: 'If people think that we’re thinking about the track record and history against St Kilda, then they’re wrong.'

1 hour ago, Skuit said:

I probably need to look back on the footage, but seriously?

Regardless, quoth Simon: 'If people think that we’re thinking about the track record and history against St Kilda, then they’re wrong.'

Then we're cooked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poita said:

Every time we've come up against St Kilda in recent years we have basically run around like headless chooks and clearly have had no idea how to combat their game plan or stop their tall forwards.

I just want to see us do something, anything at all, that suggests we have learnt from previous games and are trying to counter their strengths.

And Simon, if you are any sort of coach at all, put someone on Nick Riewoldt.

Agree.  

Lets hope that we are able to change game plan if required.

TMac is the obvious person to go to Riewoldt with his height and run, however, Riewoldt will still hurt us. I am not so concerned if that is up the ground, but if its in the forward zone we must be able to limit the supply to Riewoldt. They have other options but Riewoldt is the one who ignites the Saints.

• Like 1