Journos - Who To Believe?

What with all the season and ladder predictions being flung around this week by journalists and pundits alike - personality (or lack thereof) aside, who's opinion in the media do you take seriously and why? 

For me, I think Matthew Lloyd offers insightful, balanced and usually accurate analysis. I also mostly mirrored his tipping in the second half of last year and finished 2/100 in my workplace competition! (cheers Lloydy, $450 big ones!)

And it's hard to go past Brad Johnson's Nostradamus-like call on Fremantle at the start of last year. From memory, he was also pretty spot-on with tracking the Demons' progress through last season. 

Dermie, on the other hand, micro-analyses everything to an inch of its life, but can't seem to see the forest for the trees.

• Like 1

Fake News sells .

Collingwood and Essendrug fans lap it up!

At least there has never been one factually incorrect statement made here.Not one.

• Like 3

I agree with you on Lloyd (even though he has the personality of a doorknob). I also think Jason Dunstall is alright. Huddo also makes sense on the rare occasions when he gets off the fence to make an opinion. I mostly ignore all of them though.

Edited by Chook

I also agree on Matty Lloyd. Boring personality, and hated his demeanour as a player but really enjoy his insights. And he keeps Caro and Hutch in their place at times. 

I don't really follow or "believe" any single journo. It feels that for many of the in-favour current bunch,  their own fame as a sports journalist is more important than reporting facts, and they keep on publishing rumours without checking them. 

Mike Sheehan was probably the last one I would really give my attention, but even he ended up talking too much about fringe stuff.

• Like 1

Lloyd is indeed pretty good as long as you aren't watching his face while he talks. The constant surprised facial expression reminds me of a kid telling an ever-expanding and steadily more ludicrous story about how the vase breaking was nothing to do with him.

There needs to be some kind of tracker, for accumulating the wisdom and humiliation of the journos. It's the only way to improve quality.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Not necessarily related to predictions because very few "experts" get it right, but I always enjoy the insights from Jason Dunstall and Scott Lucas.

I agree on Lucas. He calls it as he sees it

a straight shooter

Slobbo is the worst by a mile. His reporting of Jabs Brownlow should have had him put on charges...

2 hours ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

What with all the season and ladder predictions being flung around this week by journalists and pundits alike - personality (or lack thereof) aside, who's opinion in the media do you take seriously and why? 

For me, I think Matthew Lloyd offers insightful, balanced and usually accurate analysis. I also mostly mirrored his tipping in the second half of last year and finished 2/100 in my workplace competition! (cheers Lloydy, $450 big ones!)

And it's hard to go past Brad Johnson's Nostradamus-like call on Fremantle at the start of last year. From memory, he was also pretty spot-on with tracking the Demons' progress through last season. 

Dermie, on the other hand, micro-analyses everything to an inch of its life, but can't seem to see the forest for the trees.

At least Brad Johnson smiles a lot. So he's got that going for him.

Dermott tries to use too many big words. Most of which he has no idea about their meaning.

Edited by Tony Tea
Spolling.
  • Like 1

Lloyd and Dunstall are not journalists. They are good for insight into the league, but they are not journalists. 

There are no good football journalists. 

Don't Mistake special insight and opinion for journalism. 

Caro used to be good but she succumbed to the pressure of Fairfax's push towards gotcha jernalisms to help get the company outta the red.

Edited by praha
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, praha said:

Lloyd and Dunstall are not journalists. They are good for insight into the league, but they are not journalists. 

There are no good football journalists. 

Don't Mistake special insight and opinion for journalism. 

Caro used to be good but she succumbed to the pressure of Fairfax's push towards gotcha jernalisms to help get the company outta the red.

Indeed I use the term loosely. 

Perhaps media 'personalities' is better

Speaking of Slobbo, how remiss not to mention his 'sidekick', Gerard Whately.

His commentary is vivid, intelligent and actually impartial. 

And with that loveable demeanour, I wish he was my uncle (even more than Bitter B.O)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

Speaking of Slobbo, how remiss not to mention his 'sidekick', Gerard Whately.

His commentary is vivid, intelligent and actually impartial. 

And with that loveable demeanour, I wish he was my uncle (even more than Bitter B.O)

Yep, Whately is by far the best. With him being in India for the cricket I have forgotten all about him. 

• Like 1

On 04/03/2017 at 5:23 PM, Maldonboy38 said:

Yep, Whately is by far the best. With him being in India for the cricket I have forgotten all about him. 

Hunts with the hounds,hides with the foxes .

I don't discount his thoughts on sport but he comes across as a smarmy sniveller.

Not sure he's ever even rolled a lawn bowl in anger.

• Like 1