Changes vs. Gold Coast

Wiseblood

10 hours ago, Demon Jack said:

Because of obvious reasons, Parish was always going to be given plenty of games and opportunities this year. Therefore, it makes sense that he's picking up the pace of the game quicker than Oliver. Oliver also needs a couple of pre-seasons to build a proper AFL standard tank. But once he does, strap yourself in, because although it could be argued that Parish is a more AFL ready player, Oliver has a much higher ceiling and may well prove be even better than the Viney's and Petracca's of the team.

Also, the average disposal numbers between the two aren't drastically different. While Parish does accumulate more possessions (average of 20.5) it's only around two more than Oliver (average of 18.1). 

Hope your right.

10 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Hulett looks to have some tricks too, along with an AFL ready body.  Get him in for Dawes.   

I know it's just a 30 second clip, but what stood out for me was the slow pace of the game. Admittedly it's unwise to draw any conclusions from half a minute of footage but it appears that the step up from seconds to firsts may be more immense than I realised. In which case, it's pretty tough to mark any player, experienced or not, on their performance after only one game after promotion from the VFL.

9 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Kennedy needs more that one good game at Casey to get recalled, last time he did that he came back into the Melbourne team and did nothing.

I fear he is one of those players who is in between VFL and AFL standard.

Spot on CB he is and he is too small for AFL.

57 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Kennedy needs more that one good game at Casey to get recalled, last time he did that he came back into the Melbourne team and did nothing.

I fear he is one of those players who is in between VFL and AFL standard.

He's looked a bit lost in recent weeks but overall I think that's a little harsh when you consider his best games this season (versus Collingwood and Essendon for example). At 22 it's a matter of how he progresses from this point.

He's been at his best when also getting on the outside and providing some run and carry. Recently he seems to have been caught playing the handball ring a rosy game. He's tough, fast and skilful, but quick decisonmaking doesn't seem to be his forte.

Edited by P-man

6 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Unless he's smaller than Brent Harvey, by definition he's not too small. However, he might not be good enough for a player of his height.

Exactly my point LDC he ain't Brent Harvey. If you are small you have to be very good to make it at AFL level.

• Like 1

I didn't see the entire game, due to a family function, so my basis is purely on stats.. But would Harmes, Wagner, ANB or Hunt be most likely to miss out this week? I think that Oscar may also be sore and unlikely to play... 

Kennedy & Bugg both played well, anyone else a chance from the VFL? Could Terlich get his chance?

3 minutes ago, SPC said:

I didn't see the entire game, due to a family function, so my basis is purely on stats.. But would Harmes, Wagner, ANB or Hunt be most likely to miss out this week? I think that Oscar may also be sore and unlikely to play... 

Kennedy & Bugg both played well, anyone else a chance from the VFL? Could Terlich get his chance?

Oscar should be dropped, but none of the other players you listed deserve to miss, imo.

5 hours ago, P-man said:

There's a few who would blow a gasket over it, but I'd be happy seeing Grimes given another run on the G in the red and blue. Probably won't happen.

I agree P-man but after he waited forever to get a game then played a good opening game followed by a poor one ( alone with a dozen others ) he was dropped.

Looks like the FD were just waiting for him to fail.

100 I think is going to be the final number.

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

IN: Oliver, BenKen
OUT: Harmes, OMac (Based on Roos' comments about him being likely to miss)

Cannot agree on BenKen stuie. Too small and looks good at VFL where he is clearly better than most but is not good enough when he goes up a level.

IMO the team is not served well with two midgets is the side.

Also you have a tall and a reasonable size out and you replace with two smaller players

Just now, old dee said:

Cannot agree on BenKen stuie. Too small and looks good at VFL where he is clearly better than most but is not good enough when he goes up a level.

Also you have a tall and a reasonable size out and you replace with two smaller players

TBH I'm not a big fan of BenKen so far, but he deserves a shot after his game on the weekend.

After Perth I think we need some fresh legs, hence why those guys are coming in. I would leave OMac in if he pulls up ok, but someone else mentioned Roos said he's likely to miss and I just don't see either Garland or Dunn deserving a game.

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

TBH I'm not a big fan of BenKen so far, but he deserves a shot after his game on the weekend.

After Perth I think we need some fresh legs, hence why those guys are coming in. I would leave OMac in if he pulls up ok, but someone else mentioned Roos said he's likely to miss and I just don't see either Garland or Dunn deserving a game.

I don't see them getting one even if they deserved one stuie they are  now in the FD's " not required lot"  .

Edited by old dee

Just now, old dee said:

I don't see them getting one even if they deserved one stuie they are  now in the FD's " not required lot"  .

Plapp has said recently that neither of them are playing up to the expectations of them, so would not be surprised if both are gone end of year.

16 hours ago, Ricky P said:

I am an Oscar fan, but Roos said he'll get a rest at some point before the end of the season. Given he's been injured twice in three games, I reckon that rest will be this week. 

It sounds like Kennedy had a ripper so he might come in as well. 

Massive changes not required given it was a good performance and there's an eight day break.

GCS Have Day, Lynch and Wright up forward. If Oscar came out then Dunn or Garland would have to come in

• Like 4

On 7/24/2016 at 10:21 AM, jnrmac said:

We have lost games this year by playing an underweight/inexperienced defensive line. If that's the masterplan so be it but it is clearly at the expense of winning games ...

Winning games for this team will do more than playing OMac and losing games. He has had plenty of game time and knows what to do to get his body right. I am unconvinced of his footy talents but he is simply a liability against stronger opponents and we are gifting goals to the opposition each week. 

Finishing the year with 10 wins will be better than fininshing on 7 wins and getting 5 games into Oscar. Just get him to the gym for the next 3 months and tell him to put on 15kgs if they love him that much.

You are far too centred on the outcome (number of wins), rather than the process (how to build a finals winning team).

This year is actually all about next year. I don't particularly care how many wins we have for the rest of 2016, I care that the process of developing the team to be AFL finals ready is followed.

If you want to build a backline from our young talent, they need experience, not wallowing in the seconds until they're 'ready'. We have got to get our talented young players to 50-60 AFL games minimum, not just ask them to put on 15kg.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, The Sailing Demon said:

Out - O. McDonald, J Harmes
In L. Hulett, B Kennedy

Also could bring in Bugg, or Oliver.

The season is now officially mathamatically over so now is the time to blood some new talent each week.

Would like to see Hulett come in for Oscar McDonald, the bloke has a ready made AFL players body, and seems to have the ability to kick a goal too.
Wouldn't mind seeing Dawes get dropped for Weidman too but don't think we should bring in too many newbies against a side we should beat...Can't handle another embarassment for the season.

Not quite. We can still make finals, it is incredibly unlikely and involves the Saints and Port losing a couple they shouldn't and the Roos losing everything, if we then win everything we make it. 

Fairly confident the boys can book holidays in September though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Dogs seems to go alright with half a dozen midgets OD

i would place too much emphasis on size 

1 hour ago, DemonLad5 said:

GCS Have Day, Lynch and Wright up forward. If Oscar came out then Dunn or Garland would have to come in

You're right. I didn't mean Kennedy in for Oscar even though I realise that's what my post sounded like!

1 minute ago, DubDee said:

Dogs seems to go alright with half a dozen midgets OD

i would place too much emphasis on size 

I guess it depends on your size qualification DubDee.

I maintain that if you are small you have to be very good to make it.

I don't believe Kennedy is very good.