My 3 word player analysis V Adelaide

joeboy

7 hours ago, Biffen said:

I compare him to Flower so go ahead.

That is the biggest wrap so far by anyone in the Football world in 2016.

He is still a long way off that level.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

Is he getting a bit closer to Donny old dee, do you reckon?

Yes but he was a bit heavier guy that I remember BM but I have to admit my memory of that era players is beginning to fade a little.

It is hard not be excited by him, when he gets the ball you have the feeling something good is about to happen vs a number of others that you hold you breath.

Edited by old dee

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I wouldn't say that at all. It does break down at times but for the most it works fairly well. Mastering the zone and how to play is also a hurdle we have to get over at some point as it is the best way to defend when you play it well and it is easier to attack from as well. 

It has completely fallen over in a couple of games but it fell over due to lack of effort, not lack of the right game plan. No game plan works without effort.

I don't know if it falls over due to lack of effort, though fatigue may have contributed at times. For me it breaks down because of skill errors and/or players advancing too agressively.

If we have the ball in hand and we miss a target up the field, instantly we're caught out of position. This means the players standing closest to goal need to come off their man to try and stop the play at the ball. If they get over the top then the player behind (often by that point the FB) needs to do the same and as the dominoes fall we end up conceding a goal from the goal square.

Failing to hit targets kills us. What's the saying, 'bad kicking is bad football'. In this new ultra attacking game style, that couldn't be truer.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, watchtheeyes said:

I don't know if it falls over due to lack of effort, though fatigue may have contributed at times. For me it breaks down because of skill errors and/or players advancing too agressively.

If we have the ball in hand and we miss a target up the field, instantly we're caught out of position. This means the players standing closest to goal need to come off their man to try and stop the play at the ball. If they get over the top then the player behind (often by that point the FB) needs to do the same and as the dominoes fall we end up conceding a goal from the goal square.

Failing to hit targets kills us. What's the saying, 'bad kicking is bad football'. In this new ultra attacking game style, that couldn't be truer.

Agree in when it falls down a few times in a game, even Roos has said that that is to be expected and if you watch the top teams it happens to them too, just far less as they make less mistakes. 

Where I am talking about it failing due to lack of effort are the games where we just don't turn up, like Essendon and StKilda. If we don't turn up to play and the effort isn't there at all then the whole thing falls over in dramatic fashion. 

4 hours ago, 3Dee said:

Hunt - A Little Tingay

Not really he is about 3" taller that Tingay - I met Tingay and was surprised at how small he was, muscly but short. 5'10 ish

37 minutes ago, ManDee said:

Not really he is about 3" taller that Tingay - I met Tingay and was surprised at how small he was, muscly but short. 5'10 ish

as in he has a bit of Tingay about him :)

Edited by 3Dee

7 minutes ago, 3Dee said:

as in he has a bit of Tingay about him :)

Ahh! a touch of Tingay, quite right, but faster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

Is he getting a bit closer to Donny old dee, do you reckon?

Haven't seen him do a drop kick yet, but that aside, there are similarities I reckon.

1 hour ago, watchtheeyes said:

nail.on.head.

With an aggressive zone and pushing up hard, turn it over and you are dead in the water.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Males said:

I was at the game too, and I thought that TMac played a pretty good game.

I sometimes wonder if they've been told to play on at all cost? A lot of our errors come from a quick play on, even in defensive 50, and hand balling to someone under pressure.

I reckon Frost has been told this. Roos might be over-comitting to the running out of 50 defender tactic. We don't need to do it EVERYTIME and have 4 defenders that do it. What we need to do is assess how far one can run out of defence, rather than just running and then assessing what to do when you've run too far into the oncoming opponents area and can't get a clean possession. And Lamumba will come back and do the same thing. Need to cut back on it a bit.

Edited by johndemons
  • Like 1

Melbourne's game style is to play on as quickly as possible across half back because its the only way you can find free players across half forward. Opposition teams are so good and running back now. So the handball to a runner out of the backline is vital. Yes we're stuffing this up but we have to keep at it. Frost, Harmes, Salem and Jetta are great because they have that burst pace to get free and aim for a penetrating kick up to half forward 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mongrel said:

Melbourne's game style is to play on as quickly as possible across half back because its the only way you can find free players across half forward. Opposition teams are so good and running back now. So the handball to a runner out of the backline is vital. Yes we're stuffing this up but we have to keep at it. Frost, Harmes, Salem and Jetta are great because they have that burst pace to get free and aim for a penetrating kick up to half forward 

Jetta, Salem... burst pace?

1 hour ago, joeboy said:

Jetta, Salem... burst pace?

Both a quick with a sidestep and for the first few steps. Neither are quick over a longer distance. 

1 hour ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Hunt - will be something.

I was very excited about Hunt after seeing him live on the Gold Coast. What impressed me most was how combative he was and how he used his speed to impact the game defensively. You could see him growing in confidence even back then in terms of taking the game on and breaking lines. He could be a very dangerous half back flanker for years to come but like most, I'm projecting forward. Many see him as the answer to our outside needs. And whilst I agree he could certainly fulfil that role, I'm a little more bullish. I think he has the potential to really develop an inside/outside game and be the midfielder we've craved for decades. I hate outlandish comparisons particularly in the lead up to the draft but I can see a little bit of Fyfe in his game. He looks to have a frame (much like Fyfe) that will continue to develop. Like Fyfe, he has the ability to explode from contested positions. And whilst his kicking needs work, this is a role that doesn't necessarily require elite kicking skills. Whilst wins are important, I'm very impressed with what I'm seeing right now. It's been a good year. The progress of Gawn, and the advancement of Viney (when injury free) and the belated arrival of Watts have been huge. By the end of the season I'm hoping Hunt will join that trio in the good news stories of the year. To think we have Brayshaw, Oliver, Salem and Weideman to come into this team, with Melksham on the sidelines and talk of Hibberd and Prestia. We're developing a top 4 list and I'm baffled most of Demonland can't see that. Yes, we have holes but one of them (speed and flair) looks a significantly smaller concern after the past 4 - 6 weeks from Hunt.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Goodvibes said:

I was very excited about Hunt after seeing him live on the Gold Coast. What impressed me most was how combative he was and how he used his speed to impact the game defensively. You could see him growing in confidence even back then in terms of taking the game on and breaking lines. He could be a very dangerous half back flanker for years to come but like most, I'm projecting forward. Many see him as the answer to our outside needs. And whilst I agree he could certainly fulfil that role, I'm a little more bullish. I think he has the potential to really develop an inside/outside game and be the midfielder we've craved for decades. I hate outlandish comparisons particularly in the lead up to the draft but I can see a little bit of Fyfe in his game. He looks to have a frame (much like Fyfe) that will continue to develop. Like Fyfe, he has the ability to explode from contested positions. And whilst his kicking needs work, this is a role that doesn't necessarily require elite kicking skills. Whilst wins are important, I'm very impressed with what I'm seeing right now. It's been a good year. The progress of Gawn, and the advancement of Viney (when injury free) and the belated arrival of Watts have been huge. By the end of the season I'm hoping Hunt will join that trio in the good news stories of the year. To think we have Brayshaw, Oliver, Salem and Weideman to come into this team, with Melksham on the sidelines and talk of Hibberd and Prestia. We're developing a top 4 list and I'm baffled most of Demonland can't see that. Yes, we have holes but one of them (speed and flair) looks a significantly smaller concern after the past 4 - 6 weeks from Hunt.

Fyfe has bulked up a lot in the last two years. I think Jayden will do the same hopefully without losing his extreme pace.