Roos handball to Goodwin

stuie

21 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

- Roos was behind the Salem/Tyson deal. 

- There is a difference between being a natural competitor and having a love of the contest.

- Do Roos non negotiables apply to everyone ?

- What does Goodwin personally think about Watts/Grimes/Dawes ? Are all three gone at years end?

- I think the focusing on the culture is about Roos ramming it down the throats of the younger players. Some senior players have bought in and some never will get it. 

- If Goodwin has an attacking game plan let's see it. 

I think you will see it, BA, now that our defence looks much, much better.

2 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

At what point do the players become accountable?

They have been very accountable under Roos...how many players have been turned over or traded out since he has been there.

The list is almost unrecognisable to the one he took over.

That's what I call accountability...

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Roos' leadership in this organisation has been profound and will remain long lasting.

This club was a basket case....now, it's professional.

He deserves every last red cent.

There, I've said it!

Agree with all. The only negative, and I'm probably nitpicking here, is I wish he'd sometimes say 'we' when referring to the club and not 'Melbourne' or 'they'

Also very excited to see what Goodwin can do in the NAB cup. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

5 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Agree with all. The only negative, and I'm probably nitpicking here, is I wish he'd sometimes say 'we' when referring to the club and not 'Melbourne' or 'they'

Also very excited to see what Goodwin can do in the NAB cup. 

I'm being sincere when I say I can't recall the last time he said "they". On the club website, in radio interviews, it is always "we". It's a completely unfounded and imagined criticism from my viewpoint, unless I'm missing these instances of "they" by dumb luck.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I've been off the vino for a couple of weeks - one of my irregular health breaks.

If it wasn't for that I'd reckon I was hallucinating! Curry and Stu and Wise all agreeing and OD and Dr Hopping Dick adding likes!!!

Back to the grog for me.

EDIT. Stu's above post returned a semblance of reality.

It's all part of an elaborate Dland 'roos' imo. 

Edited by Moonshadow

8 minutes ago, rjay said:

The They have been very accountable under Roos...how many players have been turned over or traded out since he has been there.

The list is almost unrecognisable to the one he took over.

That's what I call accountability...

I agree in parts RJay, yes players have been shown the door but there's still a long way to go.  

Players don't turn up every week to play. Against Carlton it was 6 goals to 1 in the first then 10 goals to 2 at half time, against bloody Carlton. Players are still waiting for a directive from the coach, I want to see players call each other out, they have to demand more from each other. They have to fight out every game even if a loss is inevitable. 

There's plenty of valid reasons to be critical of Roos. 

But you can't appoint a successor and then be criticised for stepping back and letting that successor take up some of the workload. 

There's no way to have Goodwin learn and prepare without it and there's no way for Roos to oversee the program and stay as the head coach for the year if he doesn't have the title, responsibility and pay packet. 

I remember when Clarkson was sick 2 years ago people from Hawthorn said Clarko hadn't run a training session in years and I bet no one is critical of Clarkson for it. 

I'm glad Roos is still the senior coach this year and I think it's vital he is and equally vital he spreads his time over a variety of roles and not physically overseeing training drills. 

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

I think you will see it, BA, now that our defence looks much, much better.

Our defence has improved a lot, I'm interested to see who gets a regular gig on the opposite flank from Salem now Melksham is out. 

Also when some teams have the ball in our defensive 50 they tend to leave 2-3 players one kick behind the play forming a wall to try and keep the ball locked in. I'd like to see us have 2 players goal side of them, we don't need 18 players in our defensive 50. If we set up correctly we could do that. This would make the opposition players more accountable. I'd use a combination of Hogan/Yarran or Watts/Yarran. We need to become more creative and utilise players skills.

Edited by Bombay Airconditioning
  • Like 1

Roosy has done a sensational job since taking up the offer. 

The MFC was VFL standard at best when Schwab was removed, my only concern is 3 years aint enough to rid all the toxic past out of the place. But 3 years is what we hav so i want Roosy coaching flat out until September AS THE COACH

I hope he does not take his eye off the Footy Dept to mentor the club staff. Leave that to PJ. 

I want every bit of Roosy's coaching extracted before he goes. 

A Finals appearance at the 'G must be the aim of '16

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 4

It's always comforting to find out that your negativity with regard to a particular issue is shared by almost none of the community. I will try not to worry so much and remind myself of the data that used to be in my signature. :D

pf       pa        apf       apa    amarg     ai50f   ai50a   ai50diff
2013    1455    2691    66.1    122.3    -56.2     40.0    58       -18.0
2014    1336    1954    60.7    88.8      -28.1     40.5    52.1    -11.6
2015    1573    2044    71.5    92.9      -21.4     44.4    53.4    -9.0

• Like 1

What is more cost effective?

Paying Roos for, let's say, 5 years as coach at $1.5m and then going back to the coaching drawing board...

Or...

Paying Roos to mentor the next coach and have a year of two head coaches?

Try doing a cost benefit analysis on that...

• Like 6

I don't understand the concern here. As has been stated, it was always part of the plan that Roos would oversee the succession of the coaching position in much the same way as he handed over the reins at Sydney to John Longmire. It worked there and, although there are no guarantees, he's fulfilling what he set out to do when appointed and it seems to be working. If the transition works as well as it did at the Swans, I think we'll all be happy and there's no reason at this stage to believe that its not going smoothly.

• Like 10

Roos' appointment has given the club stability in terms of the coaching role. This was vital for a rebuilding club with as poor a list as we had in 2013. Previously the media was all over Bailey and Neeld. The same thing probably would have happened again had we appointed an untried coach with a desire to coach in the future. The transition to Goodwin will mean the pressure is off the club until 2018 at the earliest and this has given us time to significantly improve the list.

He also helped create a sense of calm after the Neeld wrecking ball.

I also think he has made some clever recruiting decisions (albeit the Melksham one appears lopsided against us). Vince was a better recruit than the most optimistic demon would have hoped for. Garlett has been a great pick up. The Tyson trade has probably been a net positive.

Personally I don't really like Roos' tactical approach and think our game plan is too defensive, but you couldn't be too critical of what he has achieved.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Roos' appointment has given the club stability in terms of the coaching role. This was vital for a rebuilding club with as poor a list as we had in 2013. Previously the media was all over Bailey and Neeld. The same thing probably would have happened again had we appointed an untried coach with a desire to coach in the future. The transition to Goodwin will mean the pressure is off the club until 2018 at the earliest and this has given us time to significantly improve the list.

He also helped create a sense of calm after the Neeld wrecking ball.

I also think he has made some clever recruiting decisions (albeit the Melksham one appears lopsided against us). Vince was a better recruit than the most optimistic demon would have hoped for. Garlett has been a great pick up. The Tyson trade has probably been a net positive.

Personally I don't really like Roos' tactical approach and think our game plan is too defensive, but you couldn't be too critical of what he has achieved.

Agree with all of that other than pressure being applied no earlier than 2018.

Under these circumstances where Goowin is working so closely with Roos, if there is any decline in 2017 under Goodwin, the pressure will be immediately applied. It isn't like a new coach having a first year grace period with new philosophies, structures and player relationships to form. All of that is happening right now. Goodwin will be expected to hit the ground running and rightly so.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Jackson and Roos are exactly what the club needed and the signs for Goodwin are very encouraging. Even more important than recruiting is player retention and I feel the current structure gives us every chance in that area.

Hold that thought....

Lets wait until Hogan puts pen to paper.

As I see it (admittedly through a slightly alcoholic haze), the Roos legacy will be measured in both the short and longer terms.  

The short-term is well on track, and gets a bold tick from me.  There is still one full season to go, but right now I could hardly be happier with the apparent transformation of our playing list, the quality of our coaching panel, the seemingly dramatic improvement in our culture and our (first time ever) professional approach to player development.  Our Club is no longer the laughing stock of the competition that it was when Roos agreed to take on what at that time was the ultimate coaching challenge in the AFL.  There has been a quantum leap forward imo, and I can't think of anyone who would have done a better job as Senior Coach in those circumstances than Paul Roos.  He is exactly what our Club needed at the time!

In 2017, responsibility for the longer term will fall to Goodwin, but I have every confidence that the key planks of the Roos influence will be embedded in 'the way we do things' for a long time to come, and that with a pinch of good fortune, it could lead to the success that we all crave.  Roos (and his compatriot Peter Jackson) will deserve enormous credit should that occur during the Goodwin tenure as our senior coach.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Curry & Beer said:

I'm going to be balls-out negative here despite the inevitable backlash -

It better turn out that Goodwin can actually coach and that Roos' alleged positive impact on the 'culture' of the club turns out to genuinely make a lasting improvement

At this point Roos has had a decent return, but we are still miles off. He has banked some serious coin and seems to be phoning in his third year.

'the lasting improvement ball', is in our court...

...... coaches can teach and develop/encourage a good culture,,,, BUT the ball is in our court not to let our players get spoilt, soft, lazy, or lose the hunger to win every contest.

• Like 1

Roos has done a great job, but is only 2/3 of his way through his term as coach.

My sense of this season is that it's all ready to click into a higher gear,

• our pre-season is about game plans and a balanced attack and defence, instead of the grinding fitness/strength catch up focus of the past couple of years
  • Max Gawn has finally arrived and is ready and capable to give us first touch more often
  • Our midfield is finally running deep and with talent, if still a bit raw.
  • Our defence is solid and very experienced
  • Our attack unearthed a couple of goal kicking gems (Hogan and Garlett) with more to add (Kent, Petracca, Weideman) 
  • Our next coach is in his second year as assistant, knows the players club and is starting to implement his game style
  • Our current coach is an icon in his last year having restored some pride to the Red and Blue.

I reckon this season will be a ripper and Roos is at the centre of it.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 13

6 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Roos has done a great job, but is only 2/3 of his way through his term as coach.

My sense of this season is that it's all ready to click into a higher gear,

• our pre-season is about game plans and a balanced attack and defence, instead of the grinding fitness/strength catch up focus of the past couple of years
  • Max Gawn has finally arrived and is ready and capable to give us first touch more often
  • Our midfield is finally running deep and with talent, if still a bit raw.
  • Our defence is solid and very experienced
  • Our attack unearthed a couple of goal kicking gems (Hogan and Garlett) with more to add (Kent, Petracca, Weideman) 
  • Our next coach is in his second year as assistant, knows the players club and is starting to implement his game style
  • Our current coach is an icon in his last year having restored some pride to the Red and Blue.

I reckon this season will be a ripper and Roos is at the centre of it.

Let's hope we can win 2 games in a row...

• Like 1