• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Roos handball to Goodwin

stuie

8 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I agree in parts RJay, yes players have been shown the door but there's still a long way to go.  

Players don't turn up every week to play. Against Carlton it was 6 goals to 1 in the first then 10 goals to 2 at half time, against bloody Carlton. Players are still waiting for a directive from the coach, I want to see players call each other out, they have to demand more from each other. They have to fight out every game even if a loss is inevitable. 

There'll be more of that this year. List hasn't improved this offseason. Trade week scatter-gun. Not convinced with draft either. not sure too many clubs will say 2015 was a good draft. 

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Let's hope we can win 2 games in a row...

That would be a pleasant change, but we will be "back" once we win 5 in a row ... 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Munga said:

There'll be more of that this year. List hasn't improved this offseason. Trade week scatter-gun. Not convinced with draft either. not sure too many clubs will say 2015 was a good draft. 

Bit early to make those calls I would have thought. Give the new recruits and draftees a chance before claiming they don't improve the list. 

And if the kids improve for 2016 then we've made the improvement we need. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Bit early to make those calls I would have thought. Give the new recruits and draftees a chance before claiming they don't improve the list. 

And if the kids improve for 2016 then we've made the improvement we need. 

MFC was a bit like  an old woman at a Boxing Day Myers Clearance sale last October. I know its early and maybe ill be surprised. Cant see it to be honest. This time last year and after Vince pick up I could see it. this year not so much. Lets hope I'm wrong.

9 hours ago, Munga said:

Riiiiiiiiiiight....... So you want guns like McKenzie and Bail back?

• Like 3

19 hours ago, P-man said:

I'm being sincere when I say I can't recall the last time he said "they". On the club website, in radio interviews, it is always "we". It's a completely unfounded and imagined criticism from my viewpoint, unless I'm missing these instances of "they" by dumb luck.

The only time I can think of him saying they is when referring to a particular par of the club, like the players, or admin, or coaches, or supporters. In all instances they is the right word to use. When he is talking about the club as a whole he does sometimes say Melbourne but mainly says we. Saying Melbourne instead of 'we' may well come from teh marketing department as it constantly puts the name out there, which is a good thing. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Munga said:

MFC was a bit like  an old woman at a Boxing Day Myers Clearance sale last October. I know its early and maybe ill be surprised. Cant see it to be honest. This time last year and after Vince pick up I could see it. this year not so much. Lets hope I'm wrong.

We got what we wanted though.  The only thing that changed for us was when Howe seemingly backed out of going to the Suns and decided, at the eleventh hour, to go to the Pies.  We have to put together a deal quickly, while still getting Kennedy in the process, and then we were still able to make the deal with the Suns in the end.  We were always after Bugg as well.

They aren't 'sexy' trades as such, but they deserve time to blossom before we write them off.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wiseblood said:

Are we talking this year?  2020?  2025?  

Roos won't be around when we're pushing for a big finals tilt.  That will be on Goodwin.

I am expecting the club to make finals this year. 

We must all have this mindset. 

Roos has this year and then we have an untried coach...

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Munga said:

It was pretty clear what they were after, good tough nut mid - Oliver, A good young tall to develop - the weid, strong competitors to step in straight away and add depth to the mids - Kennedy, Strong competitors to add depth to half back - Bugg and Melksham. 

They may not be the best there is at their trade but they are better than what we lost, with the possible exception of Howe. That is an improvement. 

• Like 4

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

I am expecting the club to make finals this year. 

We must all have this mindset. 

Roos has this year and then we have an untried coach...

I'd like to think we can this year, but I also see our first finals appearance being in 2017.  

Roos has dragged us off the canvas when we were seconds away from being knocked out for good.  His job has been superb in my book.*

*If we were to somehow go backwards and only get 6-7 wins, for example, then I'll certainly change my tune.

3 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I'd like to think we can this year, but I also see our first finals appearance being in 2017.  

Roos has dragged us off the canvas when we were seconds away from being knocked out for good.  His job has been superb in my book.*

*If we were to somehow go backwards and only get 6-7 wins, for example, then I'll certainly change my tune.

If we are only at 6-7 wins at the end of this season we are still in large trouble. To entice good players to the club we must win games. 

2016 is vital to us. We must strive to make the 8 

13 hours ago, PaulRB said:

Roos has done a great job, but is only 2/3 of his way through his term as coach.

My sense of this season is that it's all ready to click into a higher gear,

• our pre-season is about game plans and a balanced attack and defence, instead of the grinding fitness/strength catch up focus of the past couple of years
  • Max Gawn has finally arrived and is ready and capable to give us first touch more often
  • Our midfield is finally running deep and with talent, if still a bit raw.
  • Our defence is solid and very experienced
  • Our attack unearthed a couple of goal kicking gems (Hogan and Garlett) with more to add (Kent, Petracca, Weideman) 
  • Our next coach is in his second year as assistant, knows the players club and is starting to implement his game style
  • Our current coach is an icon in his last year having restored some pride to the Red and Blue.

I reckon this season will be a ripper and Roos is at the centre of it.

Hard to believe this will be MAXIMUM's 7th year at the club, for just 39 games! Big blokes take time!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Riiiiiiiiiiight....... So you want guns like McKenzie and Bail back?

I think his criticism is pretty fair. The main get was Melksham and he will not be adding any improvement in 2016. We've lost Cross and Howe. I'm expecting the bulk of improvement to come from pre-existing players not from trade.

Just now, Curry & Beer said:

I think his criticism is pretty fair. The main get was Melksham and he will not be adding any improvement in 2016. We've lost Cross and Howe. I'm expecting the bulk of improvement to come from pre-existing players not from trade.

Cross is the only player I consider a loss.  What did Howe give us in 2015 that Bugg can't give us this year?  He was horribly inconsistent and I already feel as though we don't miss him at all.  If we were to make our best 22 for Round 1 in the other thread he certainly didn't leave a hole that's hard to fill.

I agree that the bulk of our improvement will come from current players, but that's how it should always be.  The fact we got rid of McKenzie, Bail, Fitzy etc is a huge win going forward for us.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

Bugg, Kennedy, Oliver and the Weed > McKenzie, Bail, Riley, Fitzy.

Melksham will be a better backman than Howe, Cross was slowing to a walk as the season went on so would have not done much this year.

That's pretty clear improvement for mine. Might not be a huge amount, but it's definite improvement.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Cross is the only player I consider a loss.  What did Howe give us in 2015 that Bugg can't give us this year?  He was horribly inconsistent and I already feel as though we don't miss him at all.  If we were to make our best 22 for Round 1 in the other thread he certainly didn't leave a hole that's hard to fill.

I agree that the bulk of our improvement will come from current players, but that's how it should always be.  The fact we got rid of McKenzie, Bail, Fitzy etc is a huge win going forward for us.

A mark of the year nomination or 3!

20 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:
54 minutes ago, stuie said:

Bugg, Kennedy, Oliver and the Weed > McKenzie, Bail, Riley, Fitzy.

Melksham will be a better backman than Howe, Cross was slowing to a walk as the season went on so would have not done much this year.

That's pretty clear improvement for mine. Might not be a huge amount, but it's definite improvement.

Roosy has done a sensational job since taking up the offer. 

The MFC was VFL standard at best when Schwab was removed, my only concern is 3 years aint enough to rid all the toxic past out of the place. But 3 years is what we hav so i want Roosy coaching flat out until September AS THE COACH

I hope he does not take his eye off the Footy Dept to mentor the club staff. Leave that to PJ. 

I want every bit of Roosy's coaching extracted before he goes. 

A Finals appearance at the 'G must be the aim of '16

A year early SWYL 2017 is the year. We have a big bunch of kids 10 wins this year and with a little  luck a final the year after.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, old dee said:

A year early SWYL 2017 is the year. We have a big bunch of kids 10 wins this year and with a little  luck a final the year after.

I don't think so mate. I think it is time these players challenged themselves fully. For too long it has been "This is a development year" which takes of the heat. 

I want Roosy to coach the MFC to at least one final with Goodwin his right hand man

• Like 1

I think the title of this thread is a bit wrong.

The transition to Goodwin is not being treated as just a 'handball'. That implies avoidance of responsibility, a quick changeover and letting Goodwin sink or swim.

It should be gradual ... more like a series of transition moves linking from a defensive kick-out for a brilliant goal. ^_^

• Like 5