Breakfast With Bails

Slartibartfast

10 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

http://www.breakfastwithbails.com/

I haven't read the book but I knew and worked with the man.  He was a different cat and one with great insight and an agile mind.

Very good for under the Christmas tree and will, I assume, support his family.

Reassuring that the picture below indicates this will be the case. 

Will be be ordering a copy. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

We get so caught up in the emotion of just winning games that we don't stop enough to realise that coaches, players and administrators are just ordinary people like you and me.

Dean Bailey always came across as a genuinely good man and always conducted himself with quiet dignity. When we talk about life situations and insidious diseases like cancer, whether someone was a good coach or not pales into insignificance. Everyone who speaks about Dean Bailey does so with warmth and affection and to his family and friends I am positive he is  sadly missed. 

• Like 6

I know that we have done to death the recent history of the MFC which caused some of our darkest days, due to the words and deeds of certain individuals.  To me DB was a salt of the earth bloke, for whom the players, at the time, held a great deal of respect.

Some of the highlights we had under his coaching, with a very young side, suggested to me he may have been a great coach, given a chance, without the fetters of internal politics.  Those that got in his way, know who they are.  But to me, of greater significance is that if the story in the book regarding "threats" being made to DB has any substance at all, then that is an incredible injustice borne out of the self interest of the governing body at the time and neglect of what was essentially an 'employee'.  If true, this is really an indictment. Perhaps the fact that DB was so selfless saved certain people from being issued with writs. 

RIP Dean

• Like 1

Honest man throughout his tenure at Melbourne IMO. He said it at his press conference honestly, that he did his job to the best of his ability, did what he was instructed to do - put the club in the best position. 

Gil - as Bailey indicates and confirms - wheeled and dealed on behalf of the AFL to force outcomes. Not unlike the 'non-documented, injection regime saga'.

15 minutes ago, H_T said:

Honest man throughout his tenure at Melbourne IMO. He said it at his press conference honestly, that he did his job to the best of his ability, did what he was instructed to do - put the club in the best position. 

Gil - as Bailey indicates and confirms - wheeled and dealed on behalf of the AFL to force outcomes. Not unlike the 'non-documented, injection regime saga'.

Makes me just a touch angry really.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ProDee said:

Sliding doors...

Nathan Jones couldn't take his place on OTC and Brock McLean replaces him.  The rest is history.

The funny thing, though it isn't actually funny, is that the three blokes who badgered a reluctant McLean, on the show, to say we tanked, which he refused to do, were a past MFC player, an MFC supporter and the current MFC Coach. 

Then an over zealous, AFL Football CEO, against the obvious wishes of his boss, who was on leave, started the inquiry into the MFC and tanking. 

That Inquiry, cost the AFL Football CEO his job, the MFC CEO and Footy Manager their jobs and Dean Bailey being left scarred unfairly.

All the while, people in the industry, were saying their club tanked and other clubs were admitting they had done the same thing as the MFC and that it was unfair what was happening to the MFC.

IMO the inquiry and its aftermath, were worse than the thing it was investigating. A method of deriving a result, that was initiated by the AFL, in rewarding the bottom side and always condoned by its CEO as within the rules.

BTW, remember when you all salivate over Jesse Hogan, that he is ours as a result of that period. 

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

The funny thing, though it isn't actually funny, is that the three blokes who badgered a reluctant McLean, on the show, to say we tanked, which he refused to do, were a past MFC player, an MFC supporter and the current MFC Coach. 

Then an over zealous, AFL Football CEO, against the obvious wishes of his boss, who was on leave, started the inquiry into the MFC and tanking. 

That Inquiry, cost the AFL Football CEO his job, the MFC CEO and Footy Manager their jobs and Dean Bailey being left scarred unfairly.

All the while, people in the industry were saying thei club tanked and other clubs were admitting they had done the same thing as the MFC and that it was unfair what was happening to the MFC.

IMO the inquiry and its aftermath, were worse than the thing it was investigating. A method of deriving a result, that was initiated by the AFL, in rewarding the bottom side and always condoned by its CEO as within the rules.

BTW, remember when you all salivate over Jesse Hogan, that he is ours as a result of that period. 

Thanks Red, I didn't know you saw it that way.  Interesting take!

27 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Makes me more than a "touch" angry.

Yep, my comment was something of an understatement.  I spoke to Chris Pollard sometime ago, who was/is the Solicitor representing the Bailey family.  Of course, can't go into details, but geez some people have been very lucky to avoid litigation thus far.

18 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Really? Any facts to back this up?

2 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Really? Any facts to back this up?

Would you take his word for it, we both work at the same place? No, I haven't spoken to him about it.

It was widely known in the industry, by people I have spoken to, that Demetriou was furious that he was being embarrassed by the inquiry, that went against his oft quoted public comments, that what was done by us and other clubs, was within the rules.

He was overseas when Andersen launched the inquiry. On his return he was bombarded by the media, as to how something he said was legal, was now the subject of an inquiry.

Do you recall soon after the inquiry was over and the media savaged the result, that Andersen just suddenly left the AFL and on his own admission, had no job lined up. Do you think that was strange?

IMO he was allowed to leave by Demetriou, before he was sacked.

Other than what people who should know have told me, I don't have a signed confession.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Redleg said:

All the while, people in the industry, were saying their club tanked and other clubs were admitting they had done the same thing as the MFC and that it was unfair what was happening to the MFC.

wasn't the "AFL Football CEO" you refer to actually the " General Manager of Football Operations" (Adrian Anderson)

Of course the "Acting CEO" (Gillom McLachlan) was the one who authorized Anderson's inquiry, but he didn't lose his job

confused over titles

2 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

wasn't the "AFL Football CEO" you refer to actually the " General Manager of Football Operations" (Adrian Anderson)

Of course the "Acting CEO" (Gillom McLachlan) was the one who authorized Anderson's inquiry, but he didn't lose his job

confused over titles

mmmm.  By the way, anything to say now Caro?

• Like 1